Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Alec Eiffel posted:

I made my own playlist and supplied it to the DJ too.

But it wasn't full of nerd bullshit.

But he just played whatever anyways so it's really a wash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It was some bullshit.

And I imagine the movie themes were played during cocktail hour/dinner. Or, at least, I hope so.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

weekly font posted:

My friend's wedding DJ was a total dick about not playing certain songs but at least listened when his wife said she'd cut his balls off if he played The Electric Slide or Chicken Dance.

My brother and his fiancee did the same thing, and he played both within the first 10 songs.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

General Ironicus posted:

How the gently caress did anyone dance.

When it came time to dance, the music was different. The movie soundtrack was more background stuff for the rest of the reception.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I was best man at my friend's wedding back in April and there was an old waiter who kept coming to me specifically and bringing me old fashioneds the entire time. It was awesome.

I also enjoy beer and white Russians. Alcohol can be pretty cool.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Our DJ was cool. We gave him like three or four songs he had to play at certain times (only thing I specifically remember was Funkadelic's "Can You Get to That" played as the doors were opened for reception), gave him a list of like 20-30 songs we liked as an idea, then told him to run with it, take anyone's requests, and just otherwise play whatever he felt was cool at the time. It also probably helped that when we called him up, the first thing I asked was him to name fifteen or twenty songs he would want at his wedding, then basically told him he was the man for us (no idea what songs he picked, all I cared about was that it wasn't total crap and that he felt like we wanted him to be involved).

We got no chicken dance or any other crap, he played a lot of requests, and everyone was happy.

We also only had fifty people at our wedding, told him to help himself to the food and bar, and specifically pointed out our friend before the ceremony who had his cash and tip so that he knew exactly who had his payment (I wasn't going to pay attention to that as the night went on).

Edit: actually there was one complaint. My wife's grandmother told us after the wedding that the music was terrible (she repeated "terrible" many times for emphasis). She has some memory issues, though, so I was just happy that she remembered she was there.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 24, 2014

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Our DJ played most of Rubber Soul near the end of the reception.

Also, I think bourbon is horrible except for Jack. If I order an old fashioned, I ask for it to be substituted.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 24, 2014

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I'm the guy that orders White Russians because of The Big Lebowski and also because they are tasty.

Some friends in college would always get the most disgusting, heartattack inducing drink which was a White Russian with coke.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Actually, the only thing I regret about our wedding music was that we didn't do a bouquet toss, so we missed out at playing Lour Reed's "Vicious" as all the ladies lined up for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM9JG-oQm1Y

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I DJed my cousin's wedding reception several years ago. He made the playlist, but he likes good music, so it included stuff like string quartet covers of Radiohead and Coheed & Cambria songs, Daft Punk and Thievery Corporation. It was a ton of fun. I just chilled on stage for a few hours playing different kinds of music while people brought me food and drinks. A bunch of people made requests, most of them terrible poo poo that I didn't even have, but some of them were actually good so I honored them.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 24, 2014

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, I think bourbon is horrible except for Jack. If I order an old fashioned, I ask for it to be substituted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5iqYuFmzqg

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Old Fashioneds get rye you jobber

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
You should have demanded nothing but Gwar and GG Allin.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Danger posted:

Some friends in college would always get the most disgusting, heartattack inducing drink which was a White Russian with coke.

:barf:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

axleblaze posted:

So this has just been like an entire day when gen chat has been having dumb arguments about how their personal taste is somehow the correct taste to have even though, especially when it comes to food and drink, that's something that just plain varies from person to person without much that person can do about it, right?

I wasn't really arguing with his taste, just pointing out that he basically sounds like a time traveller v:v:v

On an unrelated note I've been watching an old 80s anime called Armored Trooper VOTOMS and uh it sure is a thing. I was digging the gently caress out of it for a while but then the female lead got kidnapped and gang raped out of nowhere. Jesus gently caress. :catstare:

e: It's basically played for comedy too, what the gently caress Japan?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

axleblaze posted:

So this has just been like an entire day when gen chat has been having dumb arguments about how their personal taste is somehow the correct taste to have even though, especially when it comes to food and drink, that's something that just plain varies from person to person without much that person can do about it, right?

This is different from any other time, how?

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
If you're not drinking solely Speyside or Highland scotch you've done hosed up in your life.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If I ever DJ a wedding I will play Fleetwood Mac's Tusk in it's entirety , with the pauses, as it was intended to be heard,

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I may have done this dance enthusiastically to Apache (Jump On It) at my sister's wedding. And somehow, the girl I took still is friends with me.

Also, slice of like: my friends are loving bustas and I didn't get to see The Purge. I was realy looking forward to it, too, so I'm peeved.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

FreudianSlippers posted:

If I ever DJ a wedding I will play Fleetwood Mac's Tusk in it's entirety , with the pauses, as it was intended to be heard,

This is outrageous!

I had roommate who would purposefully invent terrible cocktails. I fondly remember the Reptar (vodka, rum, Mt. Dew) and the Lowlife (a Miller High Life with a vodka bomb).

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yo quit stealing my ideas

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Friedpundit posted:

This is outrageous!

I had roommate who would purposefully invent terrible cocktails. I fondly remember the Reptar (vodka, rum, Mt. Dew) and the Lowlife (a Miller High Life with a vodka bomb).

The worst I ever witnessed was an unholy mixture of everclear, cherry coke zero, and Swiss miss hot chocolate mix. Actually now that I think of it that's not the worst. That would be either Franzia chillable red with Papa John's garlic sauce or Franzia chillable red with spiced rum. Freshman year is a strange time.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The Gay Russian: Vodka with just a splash of Pepto Bismol.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Friedpundit posted:

I have a friend who is really into miller high life and one time tried putting 151 in it. He's a goon so for all I know he'll read this and if so all I have to say is we sure have made some mistakes in our life, huh?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Roger Corman is going to be a guest on Conan tonight.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Thank you for posting this! I now finally understand the strange presentation my entire school got when I was in middle school.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

Roger Corman is going to be a guest on Conan tonight.
Conan's got a scene in a new Roger Corman-produced SciFi Channel original movie called Sharktopus VS. Pteracuda. He's been promoting it on his show for the past week or so.

It's not an Asylum movie, though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Conan's got a scene in a new Roger Corman-produced SciFi Channel original movie called Sharktopus VS. Pteracuda. He's been promoting it on his show for the past week or so.

It's not an Asylum movie, though.

Yes I know this, I was putting out there for anyone who didn't because Roger Corman will be an actual interview guest tonight.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Egbert Souse posted:

Also jack is not bourbon, it's Tennessee whiskey.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Skyfall is so beautiful that I hope it comes out on a Super Duper Hi Def format so I can blow $3000 on a TV just to watch it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Sure, but water is actually satisfying. If you're doing anything more involved than flipping burgers on a grill, water is the way to go.

I don't think you understand how physically demanding most piece of poo poo service jobs are. I don't know what you do for a living, but if any part of your job is done while sitting on a chair, don't front.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gatts posted:

Skyfall is so beautiful that I hope it comes out on a Super Duper Hi Def format so I can blow $3000 on a TV just to watch it.
Oh my god, just imagining that sniper scene in 4k :circlefap:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Egbert Souse posted:

Jack Daniels isn't bourbon.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It pretty much is, it's all just semantics. Don't be silly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FishBulb posted:

It pretty much is, it's all just semantics. Don't be silly.

Words have meaning. (For people not familiar with American alcohol label restrictions, anything labeled bourbon has to come from Kentucky, Jack Daniels is made in Tennessee. Hilariously, America is one of the few western countries that doesn't require drinks labeled Champagne to come from the Champagne region of France, so many of your finer gas stations will have bottles of something call "American Champagne" for 3 bucks.)

Ignoring that, if your favorite bourbon-esque liquor is Jack Daniels, I assume your only other experience with it is something that came in a giant plastic jug.

Edit: I double checked, and apparently it's not required for bourbon to be made in Kentucky, but I can't think of a single bourbon readily available that isn't from Kentucky. Jack Daniel's goes out of it's way to call itself "Kentucky Whiskey" so if you think it's a terrible replacement for bourbon, you shouldn't call it bourbon, and if you think it's better than every bourbon (because you're a lunatic, or are 17 and only have Jim Beam and Evan Williams as reference pooint) you shouldn't call it bourbon because they don't wan't to be called bourbon, they're a Tennessee Whiskey

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 24, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ahahahaha Roger Corman came out of retirement just for Sharktopus VS. Pteracuda :allears:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Geez, I don't know my American booze I guess.

I prefer Jameson, but always neat. Jack is fine for mixing.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Skwirl posted:

Words have meaning. (For people not familiar with American alcohol label restrictions, anything labeled bourbon has to come from Kentucky, Jack Daniels is made in Tennessee. Hilariously, America is one of the few western countries that doesn't require drinks labeled Champagne to come from the Champagne region of France, so many of your finer gas stations will have bottles of something call "American Champagne" for 3 bucks.)

Ignoring that, if your favorite bourbon-esque liquor is Jack Daniels, I assume your only other experience with it is something that came in a giant plastic jug.

Regional designations are loving dumb and can suck my eggs

But yeah Jack is lovely

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Egbert Souse posted:

Geez, I don't know my American booze I guess.

I prefer Jameson, but always neat. Jack is fine for mixing.

You mix the middling drinks, you take the good stuff by itself.

Jameson is smooth and good, Gentleman Jack, McCallan 12yr. Don Julio 3 year is good Tequila. Oban for Scotch is decent as is Chivas. Belvedere vodka or Grey Goose I suppose.

And then you get into the fancy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3K-2Zy26QA

• Locked thread