Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Dr.Caligari posted:

Are there other Criterion releases that feature old-time radio counterparts? I love OTR and think this is an awesome bonus

A whole bunch:

kaujot posted:

I believe 12 Angry Men has the radio version included. Also maybe Mr. Arkadin?

12 Angry Men has the television version but not a radio adaptation.

Mr. Arkadin: Three half-hour episodes of the radio program The Lives of Harry Lime, upon which the film is based, and an interview with producer Harry Alan Towers

leokitty posted:

There's a bunch but the other one I know off the top of my head is My Man Godfrey.

My Man Godfrey: The complete 1938 broadcast of the Lux Radio Theater adaptation, starring Powell and Lombard

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The Third Man had an episode of a radio play spinoff on the disc I believe.

The Third Man: the 1951 “A Ticket to Tangiers” episode of The Lives of Harry Lime series, written and performed by Orson Welles; and the 1951 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of The Third Man

Daveski posted:

The Uninvited has two different radio adaptations on the disc

The Uninvited: Two radio adaptations, from 1944 and 1949, both starring Ray Milland

TrixRabbi posted:

The Lady Eve does. And it stars Barbara Stanwyck along with Ray Milland in Fonda's role.

The Lady Eve: The 1942 broadcast of the Lux Radio Theatre adaptation, performed by Barbara Stanwyck and Ray Milland

and then these:

The 39 Steps: Complete broadcast of the 1937 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation, starring Ida Lupino and Robert Montgomery

Spellbound (OOP): Complete 1948 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation starring Joseph Cotten and Alida Valli

Rebecca (OOP): 1938 Orson Welles and the Mercury Theatre broadcast, including an interview with Daphne du Maurier; 1941 Lux Radio Theatre broadcast starring Ronald Colman and Ida Lupino, including an interview with David O. Selznick; 1950 Lux Radio Theatre broadcast starring Laurence Olivier and Vivien Leigh

Notorious (OOP): Complete broadcast of the 1948 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation, starring Ingrid Bergman and Joseph Cotten

Foreign Correspondent: Radio adaptation of the film from 1946, starring Joseph Cotten

To Be or Not to Be: Two episodes of The Screen Guild Theater, a radio anthology series: Variety (1940), starring Jack Benny, Claudette Colbert, and Lubitsch, and To Be or Not to Be (1942), an adaptation of the film, starring William Powell, Diana Lewis, and Sig Ruman

Trouble in Paradise: 1940 Screen Guild Theater radio program featuring Ernst Lubitsch, Jack Benny, Claudette Colbert, and Basil Rathbone

(I think this is actually just Variety.)

The Killers (1946): Screen Director’s Playhouse 1949 radio adaptation, starring Burt Lancaster and Shelley Winters

Red River: Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of Red River from 1949, featuring John Wayne, Joanne Dru, and Walter Brennan

The Devil and Daniel Webster: The Columbia Workshop’s radio dramatizations of Stephen Vincent Benét’s short stories “The Devil and Daniel Webster” and “Daniel Webster and the Sea Serpent,” both featuring music by Bernard Herrmann

Stagecoach: Screen Director’s Playhouse 1949 radio dramatization, with John Wayne, Claire Trevor, and Ford, downloadable as an MP3 file(?)

Young Mr. Lincoln: Academy Award Theater radio dramatization, downloadable as an MP3 file(?)

The Mikado: excerpts from 1939 radio broadcasts of the stage productions The Swing Mikado and The Hot Mikado

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I've just discovered "Dumbland" on Criterion's Hulu page. It's a short web series by David Lynch about a white trash family. And it's hilarious. I wish David Lynch would do more cartoons. His sense of humor is always so bizarre.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Thats quite a list! Thanks!

I have a large list of $19.99 (during 50% sale) movies I want, so I keep talking myself out of Red River. But the fact it is dual format, includes the novel and has the OTR broadcast makes it well worth the extra $5. I'm going to try and pick it up before the sale ends next month

I've seen The Devil and Daniel Webster, but wasn't aware that there was a broadcast version, yet alone “Daniel Webster and the Sea Serpent,”. Sounds like something I need to look into

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Alright boyos, I'm feeling one more buy for this sale. Do I go for the Jacques Demy set, having only seen Umbrellas of Cherbourg and Le Demoiselles de Rochefort? Those both feel like enough reason for me.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I was pretty cool on Youth of the Beast, but Tokyo Drifter has turned me around on Suzuki. It still has some of the narrative problems I had with Youth, but little moments of delight like Tetsu being bested by a camera trick with the "elevator" and Tatsu being warned of Tetsu's arrival by hearing his theme song make it a blast to watch. (There's a scene in Youth, the scene in the model-maker's apartment. It's shot as a miniature movie within a movie, which is the same kind of joyful filmmaking.)

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
How quick is the shipping from B&N's website? I don't know if I will be able to make it back to the store before the sale is over and I'm really wanting Red River

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Dr.Caligari posted:

How quick is the shipping from B&N's website? I don't know if I will be able to make it back to the store before the sale is over and I'm really wanting Red River

Slow. Like a week or more.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I once waited 5 weeks for B&N to ship a single Criterion. In-store is always the better option for them.

Just a reminder that the B&N 50% off Sale ends this coming Monday, the 28th. Final weekend, folks.

My haul this time;

Red River
Stagecoach
Cronos
The Devil's Backbone
Scanners
Sansho the Bailiff
The Hidden Fortress
A Brief History of Time
Ace in The Hole

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I once waited 5 weeks for B&N to ship a single Criterion. In-store is always the better option for them.

Just a reminder that the B&N 50% off Sale ends this coming Monday, the 28th. Final weekend, folks.

My haul this time;

Red River
Stagecoach
Cronos
The Devil's Backbone
Scanners
Sansho the Bailiff
The Hidden Fortress
A Brief History of Time
Ace in The Hole

Let me know what you think of Sansho.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
B&N non-member shipping does kind of suck, but they're good about refunding the cost of shipping if there is a delay. I got the shipping refunded on my last order because of a delay.

Final haul was:
Seven Samurai
Brazil
Band of Outsiders
L'eclisse
The Life Aquatic
Pickpocket
Pale Flower
Three Outlaw Samurai

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
I only picked up the Three Colors: Trilogy set, and Persona this time. There's just so many releases coming out before the next sale that I want, so I didn't want to go crazy like I have the past few sales.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Round up:

The Freshman
A Hard Day's Night
Nashville
Vanya on 42nd Street
The Only Son/There Was A Father

I'm happy with these but I'm already planning my purchases for the next sale.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I was kind of blown away by the featurettes about digital restoration on the Jacques Demy box. Do any other discs have similar stuff? Are there any good feature-length docs or books on film preservation and restoration written for a relative layman?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Re: the latest Criterion doodle -

FawnPhone Booth?

Oh wait, I'm a dummy, it's Satyricon

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 31, 2014

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Fellini's Satyricon, it seems.

edit: doh, beaten

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Blah. One of my least favorites by Fellini.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Until I came here I was ecstatic thinking it could be "The Devils"... Ah well, "Satyricon" is good too. Oddly I got the laserdisc for it last year which has an amazing behind-the-scenes piece I'm sure they'll carry over.

EDIT: Also really limited myself with the sale this time cause money is tight: Ace in the Hole (an upgrade; easily in my top 5), Red River (which I haven't seen in years but have on laserdisc), Judex (which is fantastic), and Scanners (flawed, but has some incredible scenes and the supplements are fantastic... except for "Stereo" which I barely made it through).

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 1, 2014

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Robert Denby posted:

Until I came here I was ecstatic thinking it could be "The Devils"... Ah well, "Satyricon" is good too. Oddly I got the laserdisc for it last year which has an amazing behind-the-scenes piece I'm sure they'll carry over.

EDIT: Also really limited myself with the sale this time cause money is tight: Ace in the Hole (an upgrade; easily in my top 5), Red River (which I haven't seen in years but have on laserdisc), Judex (which is fantastic), and Scanners (flawed, but has some incredible scenes and the supplements are fantastic... except for "Stereo" which I barely made it through).

Stereo is amazing, as is Cronenberg's other early feature, Crimes of the Future.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I wish more Criterions offered audio commentary, even if it was just a critic discussing a film that they particularly like.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Two Worlds posted:

Stereo is amazing, as is Cronenberg's other early feature, Crimes of the Future.

Can you expand on this opinion? I'm curious to hear positive thoughts on these two films. I found them insufferably dull, but I want to like them.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Anonymous Robot posted:

I wish more Criterions offered audio commentary, even if it was just a critic discussing a film that they particularly like.

I wish this too. They are the biggest motivators for me to buy something. The ones for the Kurosawa films are great and Steven Prince's one for Straw Dogs is a true piece of scholarship. Made me see the film in a completely different light.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I like Steven Soderbergh's commentaries, especially the one he did for The Third Man. It's just fun to listen to him comment on things.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Commentaries are great for the obvious reasons, but they also make a compelling excuse for me to watch movies a second time and take in the little details of them without getting distracted/overly invested in the narrative.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Cacator posted:

I like Steven Soderbergh's commentaries, especially the one he did for The Third Man. It's just fun to listen to him comment on things.

Soderbergh's commentary track on Schizopolis where he interviews himself and becomes hostile is amazing.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

caiman posted:

Can you expand on this opinion? I'm curious to hear positive thoughts on these two films. I found them insufferably dull, but I want to like them.

There's a fine line between dull and hypnotic. I experienced them as the latter (well, more Crimes of the Future).

Also I really like the author JG Ballard and those films are probably the closest you can get to one of his short stories on film.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Any word on Criterion releasing more Cronenberg?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Watership Down is now available on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/watership-down/id896027991

C'moooon disc release!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Tootsie is coming sometime in the future. Was this previously known?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dunno, but I know they made the laserdisc version.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Cloks posted:

Tootsie is coming sometime in the future. Was this previously known?

Yes

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I've got more Criterion DVDs to trade with people, if anyone's interested! I only have DVDs, and I'm not interested in blu-rays.

I'd be willing to trade:

Red River
Riot In Cell Block 11
The Hidden Fortress (green cover version)
Three Outlaw Samurai
Things to Come

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The Shooting/Ride in the Whirlwind
It Happened One Night
L'Avventura
Tootsie
Les Blank: Always for Pleasure

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Nothing for me this month, which I'm actually grateful about for once. I'd like to revisit Tootsie, IHON and L'Avventura, and I'd like to see the Hellmann and Blank stuff, but I can get all that from the library.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It Happened One Night is a blast. Holds up perfectly as a romantic comedy. Even better, it's a Sony restoration, so it'll be another demo quality disc.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The Great Beauty is an absolutely gorgeous film. I'm not sure if I was able to follow it all the way through but I want to go to Rome right now!!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Best Buy's got a Criterion sale going.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Y tu Mama Tambien blu is $19.99 on Amazon too.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

and here I was thinking I'd never find something to spend my $30 in Reward Certificates on! I shouldn't have returned the hard drive I didn't need so early, I'd have $45 to spend instead and still could have returned it and left myself with a negative point balance. Oh well.

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
Does anyone have experience with bringing back a Blu player from the states? I'm in the UK and had a region-free player but it died, and now I can't play my nerdy criterions. I can't find the model I previously firmware-upgraded for anything near the price I paid the first time.

I'm visiting the US this weekend and I'm thinking of taking advantage of the Best Buy sale to get some discs because it's a pretty good opportunity to not spend a ton of money on shipping my snobby twat movies overseas. I figure it might also be a nice opportunity to get a blu-ray player also.

In short, are customs gonna be upset if I try bringing a blu-ray player home in my luggage? Is this a big no-no? Am I going to be taxed horribly and painfully?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon has a few Criterions on sale for 50% off:

Jules and Jim
Love Streams
All That Heaven Allows
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!
Insomnia
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
The Qatsi Trilogy