Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i give up

i'm just glad i don't work where you work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
you realize you can tell ansible to execute something you uploaded previously, just like puppet downloading something from a filebucket

pram
Jun 10, 2001
but no you dont realize that because youve never used ansible and youre just talking out of your rear end

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it has to download a 140mb binary every time it does something - notorious idiot

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

it has to download a 140mb binary every time it does something - notorious idiot

no, it doesn't. but it can't do all the things that 140 mb binary does over ssh without shipping code around. what is hard to understand about that?

e.g. if i want to collect facts about remote systems using ansible i still have to pre-install ohai (a chef component) or facter (a puppet component) because it is hugely infeasible to upload something as complicated as ohai or facter on every run

and then if i want CUSTOM facts from ohai or facter, instead of having that built into my agent, i have to write a playbook to deal with that, too

being agentless is dumb as gently caress. it moves problems around in order to fix precisely one use case: i only want to install ssh in the base image

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lmao it has its own facter idiot holy poo poo you are so dumb

http://docs.ansible.com/setup_module.html

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

lmao it has its own facter idiot holy poo poo you are so dumb

http://docs.ansible.com/setup_module.html

are you blind

quote:

More ansible facts will be added with successive releases. If facter or ohai are installed, variables from these programs will also be snapshotted into the JSON file for usage in templating. These variables are prefixed with facter_ and ohai_ so it’s easy to tell their source. All variables are bubbled up to the caller. Using the ansible facts and choosing to not install facter and ohai means you can avoid Ruby-dependencies on your remote systems. (See also facter and ohai.)

ansible's own fact-gatherer is loving garbage because it doesn't make sense to upload 100 mb of poo poo on every run

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yes and you dont need either facter or ohai? can you read

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the point though, for all the people reading this dumb slapfight, is that you should be using cfg management.

even if it's ansible, beats nothing

pram
Jun 10, 2001

pram posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
someone needs to jizz in you guys eyes just to get u2 to stop fighting

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

echinopsis posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ugh i just played dark souls ii and the camera movement reminds me of linux

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

jizz in the eye isn't a repeatable process

too much manual activity

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
run a hose from the nearest sperm bank then, put a pump on a timer

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
are any of the new init systems any good yet
do i still have to write a loving bash script or can it be like a loving config file where i specify where my binary is and where the logging should go

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
that's what systemd is, except you don't have to specify where the logfile goes, because everything goes in the journal

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

id like my linux to look like this tia

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
what a Kool Desktop Environment

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Progressive JPEG posted:

this screenshot is from july of 2000. by the standards of the day that was pretty sharp-lookin'

for comparison check out the eye-searing horror of Mac OS X in y2k. it makes kde 2.x look good. none of the icons match. background colors are different in every window etc

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Dish posted:

that's what systemd is, except you don't have to specify where the logfile goes, because everything goes in the journal

doug funny's desktop commander

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
unity is fine once you set the launcher to auto hide and uninstall all the stupid search lenses wtf are you guys complaining about?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's like magic: you start kde and it has all of the normal interface touches you expect

its osx???

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this screenshot is from july of 2000. by the standards of the day that was pretty sharp-lookin'

for comparison check out the eye-searing horror of Mac OS X in y2k. it makes kde 2.x look good. none of the icons match. background colors are different in every window etc

i was actually sorta serious; i unironically think win2000 was by far the best looking windows

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Kmy kfavorite kpart kof kkde kis khow kevery kapplication kname kstarts kwith ka kk.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Wild EEPROM posted:

Kmy kfavorite kpart kof kkde kis khow kevery kapplication kname kstarts kwith ka kk.

they don't do that nearly as much as they used to. lots of non-k applications: akregator, dolphin, amarok, phonon, etc

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
better than windows still prefixing all the folders with "My" in tyool 2014 even when they supposedly removed that in win7.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

scroogle nmaps posted:

better than windows still prefixing all the folders with "My" in tyool 2014 even when they supposedly removed that in win7.

looks gone to me

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

at least that looks better than kde 4

Progressive JPEG posted:

i was actually sorta serious; i unironically think win2000 was by far the best looking windows
:agreed:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soldier of Fortran posted:

at least that looks better than kde 4

:agreed:

a major focus for kde 5 was having a default theme that doesn't look terrible. i think they mostly succeeded but i won't know until i use it myself.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Progressive JPEG posted:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Progressive JPEG posted:

this is the most up to date graphical lunix

pram
Jun 10, 2001
kandalf

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i guess ill be all the fonts btw

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

scroogle nmaps posted:

its crapples turn now. ignore the splashtop quality screenshot

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

scroogle nmaps posted:

The directories are actually named without the 'my' but explorer displays them with a my in the name because gently caress you.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

we are not worthy of him

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Last Chance posted:

its crapples turn now. ignore the splashtop quality screenshot

the gently caress is this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU