Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Mister Kingdom posted:

That car wants to be this car, but it'll never make it.

Ford Forty-Nine Concept

That's like a kid aspiring to be Clint Howard. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

365 Nog Hogger posted:

That's like a kid aspiring to be Clint Howard. :(

I thought the Forty-Nine was pretty neat as far as retro styling goes. Beats the PT and the HHR, at least.

Speaking of the Miura, I added one to my die-cast collection today.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

That car wants to be this car, but it'll never make it.

Ford Forty-Nine Concept

It's actually modeled on the GAZ M20, that there looks like when someone turned a BMW 6 series into a GAZ m21, with far better results.

The impressive(potentially fatal?) part of the white one is that i looks like they actually stretched the wheelbase. unfortunately, even after all that work, he didn't swap out the wankel.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Powershift posted:

The impressive(potentially fatal?) part of the white one is that i looks like they actually stretched the wheelbase. unfortunately, even after all that work, he didn't swap out the wankel.

Ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh. I could not for the life of me place that roofline. (RX-8 for any other dumbs like me.)

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
More BMW fun, I saw this today, sorry for the lovely photos:

The Perspex had bowed inward from years of being old plastic, I guess. Very cool to see in person.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I found the most excellent Hot Wheels ever

Alfa Romeo 8C.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wrong.

Also, possibly a sign of the times, they have an EF civic this year too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I bought that EF two weeks ago in blue.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's so hot.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

GramCracker posted:

:allears: She's stock too! (from what it appears) Time to buy a few and join the "preservation class" God I LOVE R32's.

Apart from the rims and the steering wheel she was stock as far as the eye could see. :swoon:

Also had a Nismo plaque on the side so I thought it might be something special but the Nismo sticker on the back isn't period correct and it's missing some lip spoilers if it is.

xzzy posted:

Hope the owner doesn't leave it out like that a lot, those things are pretty high up the list on thefts per year.

Unless maybe it's owned by the dealer, and he just trots it out every once in a while to show off his dealership? Which might be even worse, I hate when cars get mothballed.

Luckily car theft isn't a big threat here in Japan, not to say that it doesn't exist but at the same time people will gladly leave their keys in the ignition with the engine on while they pop into the convenience store for cigarettes.

No idea on the mothballing, I've been by there a couple of times and not noticed it before though.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

InitialDave posted:

Don't you find it annoying when people say "R32", and they mean some bloody Golf, not a Skyline?

Yup, 100% agree. I always ask for them to clarify, and if they say "Yea, the Golf!" I walk away. THERE IS ONLY ONE R32 TO RULE THEM ALL. :argh:

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

I love how precisely placed the H logo is on the hood, and then for the headlights they were like HERE HAVE SOME loving SILVER PAINT SOMEWHERE gently caress YOU!!!!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BoostCreep posted:

I love how precisely placed the H logo is on the hood, and then for the headlights they were like HERE HAVE SOME loving SILVER PAINT SOMEWHERE gently caress YOU!!!!

Sounds about right for a modded Civic.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

xzzy posted:

Sounds about right for a modded Civic.

a really realistic one wouldn't hae the Honda logo on it anywhere.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

atomicthumbs posted:

a really realistic one wouldn't hae the Honda logo on it anywhere.

It does look like the fading/peeling clear coat is right though

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
On the way down to the outlets we stopped in Palmetto FL at a great breakfast spot called Norma Rae's. I took the restless kids out for a walk and across the street was an old drive-in/car club/junk yard that had a fairly eclectic mix out front:

And the one that caught my eye to begin with:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203423882590800

:eyepop:

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I bought that EF two weeks ago in blue.

It comes in blue too? If I would have know that I would have looked around a little more and found it so that it matches the one that my father has in real life.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

screenwritersblues posted:

It comes in blue too? If I would have know that I would have looked around a little more and found it so that it matches the one that my father has in real life.

If I see another do you want me to pick it up?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Almost there! Almost there! Hnnnnnnggggggggggggggg!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

revmoo posted:

Almost there! Almost there! Hnnnnnnggggggggggggggg!

Pretty weird fetish.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

T1g4h posted:

Saw this while riding around in the work truck today, had to snap a few shots. And gently caress anyone who claims it's in the wrong thread, a Cadimino is awesome :colbert:

You always see old hearses, but never flower cars. That is pretty dope.

To contribute:

Took this pic while I was in the city. NYPD and their sneaky ways!

Apart from the strobes in the grille and the small black antenna on the trunk, it is pretty much impossible to differentiate between this and a regular NYC cab. I've seen them also do this with Nissan Altima cabs.

Example:

Here's a pic of the rear end end, but you can see on the trunk:

This is the interior of the Altima. They even went so far as to install a fare meter on the dash:

Count Freebasie fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 23, 2014

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

loving witchcraft

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Turns out the local car club (I'm in Poznan, Poland) has a little display section in the city center shopping mall thing. I took some pictures. Apologies, they're phone pictures and some of them are blurry. I just completely stumbled on it while waiting out the rain. I didn't take notes as to what most of the cars were, but a lot are very recognisable, and for others, you guys may as well have some fun playing identify the car.

Hansa something. Sweet vents on the sides of the front.

Some kind of Firetruck from Auto Union.

Czech car. I believe the company was called Aero, though I might be mistaken about either of these. I want one.

Polish Fiat from 1937. Apparently Poland has a far longer history of building modified licensed Fiats than I thought.

Behold the majesty of 50s :poland: cars.

I like the grille.

More Polish cars.

The FSO Polonez. I grew up riding in one. It was a 70s shitbox, and a Fiat 125 underneath. Body styled by Giugiaro, apparently, though I always thought it looked crap. But it was scary fast after an engine rebuild Dad did at one point. Rally versions were pretty cool too.

Sweet East German bikes.

I love this one. Looks menacing without being over the top.

Kinda hideous bug.

Karmann Ghia and a Volkswagen Something.

Lorraine-Dietrich. Ridiculously long.

The superbly-named Reo Gentleman's Roadster. 3.5 liter 2 cylinder engine producing 15 horsepower. Quoted maximum speed of 60kph. Anyone that would go anywhere near that fast has no fear.

I assume that's the horn, gear shift lever and handbrake, but I have no idea what the metal thing on the sill is.

Triumph TR6

I have no idea what these are, and I forgot to write it down. The silver one had "Bertone" in the name though.

Overall it was a pretty drat cool thing to stumble into.

Zeppelin Insanity fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 23, 2014

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
My neighbor at work. A very rare place I can be hit with true envy every single time I go in

I was helping someone looking at a cammed out n/a mustang, but as cool as that was it was hard to even care about it surrounded by everything else. Even when I bought a car there I spent more time looking at the other cars

Non camera phone picture of the sweet gtr

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Karmann Ghia and a Volkswagen Something.

Looks like a Type 3.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Rhyno posted:

If I see another do you want me to pick it up?

I'll find one eventually. Don't worry about it.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Powershift posted:

It's actually modeled on the GAZ M20, that there looks like when someone turned a BMW 6 series into a GAZ m21, with far better results.

I have loved the Holden Efijy ever since I first saw pictures of it.

They made 1 that worked but thats it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Negromancer posted:

I have loved the Holden Efijy ever since I first saw pictures of it.

They made 1 that worked but thats it.
and 4 years before that, the buick blackhawk.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

But instead, we get the PT Cruiser & HHR. Whyyyyyyyyyy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Boat posted:

But instead, we get the PT Cruiser & HHR. Whyyyyyyyyyy.

It could have been worse

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Sorry for the poo poo quality, was busy working on it, but figured you guys might enjoy. Volunteering on a team building an electric dune buggy with the end goal of competing in the Baja 1000. I'll try to get some better pictures at some point, but with no light and a phone this is about the best I could do.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

T1g4h posted:

Saw this while riding around in the work truck today, had to snap a few shots. And gently caress anyone who claims it's in the wrong thread, a Cadimino is awesome :colbert:

My mom's boyfriend used to have an old Caddy flower car. He sold it though. Very cool.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Powershift posted:

An homage to the Y-Job.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

Sorry for the poo poo quality, was busy working on it, but figured you guys might enjoy. Volunteering on a team building an electric dune buggy with the end goal of competing in the Baja 1000. I'll try to get some better pictures at some point, but with no light and a phone this is about the best I could do.

Awesome! What class are you hoping to join? I don't think there's any kind of alternate/electric class.

To contribute, have a wonderful e-type:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

angryhampster posted:

Awesome! What class are you hoping to join? I don't think there's any kind of alternate/electric class.

To contribute, have a wonderful e-type:

Class 1, so unlimited buggies. It has plenty of power, the issue so far is motor controller programming (guy they contracted to is way past his deadline) and funding period. The car runs roughly the same battery pack as a Tesla, which isn't cheap. They have two, and are hoping to get enough money raised to buy two more that way they can be hot swapped during "fuel" stops. The owner/driver has won at Baja before in a Beetle, so at least there is experience behind it.

But it really is a fascinating project, that I'm super happy to have even a small part in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

iwentdoodie posted:

Class 1, so unlimited buggies. It has plenty of power, the issue so far is motor controller programming (guy they contracted to is way past his deadline) and funding period. The car runs roughly the same battery pack as a Tesla, which isn't cheap. They have two, and are hoping to get enough money raised to buy two more that way they can be hot swapped during "fuel" stops. The owner/driver has won at Baja before in a Beetle, so at least there is experience behind it.

But it really is a fascinating project, that I'm super happy to have even a small part in.

That's loving awesome. Post more about it if you can. Probably also relevant over in the EV megathread.