Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

psychoJ posted:

I didn't see anyone talk about this, but Gods Will Be Watching is getting released tomorrow on Steam, and Giant Bomb has a 43 minute quick look of it up.

It uh... it's something alright. (I preordered because goddamn am I into this)

This game seems intense as hell. If they can actually tie that together with a compelling storyline then it will be fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HelmetCheese posted:

How's the Arkham Origins season pass? Recently beat the game and really enjoyed it.

Cold, Cold Heart is good. The Initiation DLC is literally just a couple new areas with some pretty :effort: cutscenes around them. The skins you get are purely cosmetic. If it is as cheap or cheaper to get the season pass over CCH by itself then get it, otherwise just get CCH.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

The Initiation DLC is literally just a couple new areas with some pretty :effort: cutscenes around them.

It's worth noting that Initiation also gets you a playable ninja Bruce Wayne. It's not a total gamechanger, but he does have a different playstyle and gadgets.

Any tower defence fans know of a good way to get gold stars in Prime World Defenders? I'm about level 15 and my towers seem like they're starting to be outclassed by the level of monsters I'm facing. It seems like stars are the only way to get some of the more elite towers, but from what I can tell, I can only reliably get stars by completing the story missions. But I can't complete the story missions because my towers aren't powerful enouuuuurrrrrggghhh

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Seventh Arrow posted:

It's worth noting that Initiation also gets you a playable ninja Bruce Wayne. It's not a total gamechanger, but he does have a different playstyle and gadgets.

Any tower defence fans know of a good way to get gold stars in Prime World Defenders? I'm about level 15 and my towers seem like they're starting to be outclassed by the level of monsters I'm facing. It seems like stars are the only way to get some of the more elite towers, but from what I can tell, I can only reliably get stars by completing the story missions. But I can't complete the story missions because my towers aren't powerful enouuuuurrrrrggghhh

I played PW:D at launch so maybe things are different now, but I thought you could get towers from Chest/Card rewards at the end of a mission and they could be rare. Or you buy a "Random Card Set" thing using the Silver or whatever it was that you earn.

Also you can feed tower cards you don't want to make your current towers better. That was probably one of the complaints I had about it was it was sort of 'grindy' because you might find yourself replaying several previous missions to get more towers. I think you could easily beat the game with Stone Towers and stuff, as long as you've levelled them up.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 24, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

Tower of Guns trip report: I like this game.
That's because it's a Good Game.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Jerusalem posted:

Cold, Cold Heart is good. The Initiation DLC is literally just a couple new areas with some pretty :effort: cutscenes around them. The skins you get are purely cosmetic. If it is as cheap or cheaper to get the season pass over CCH by itself then get it, otherwise just get CCH.

Cool, thanks for the recommendation. Also realized I had some playfire cash sitting around so I got the season pass for about a buck :toot:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thank you Kragger for the birthday gift of Child of Light and Crimson Land. Which speaking of Child of Light, I heard it a good idea to play it on hard, as it suppose to be too easy otherwise. Is this true, because when I tried the demo I just got my rear end kicked when I was fighting monsters on hard.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Quest For Glory II posted:

That's because it's a Good Game.
Is it something I can mute all the sound on and just play while listening to podcasts? This is important.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Deadly Premonition keeps crashing on me :smith:

I've rebooted Steam, rebooted the computer, confirmed I have the correct folders in my physx folder, changed compatibility mode on the dp.exe and the launcher, verified gamefiles etc and it just keeps crashing. ANY ideas? I only got through the prologue but I loved how bizarre it was.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Jerusalem posted:

Deadly Premonition keeps crashing on me :smith:

I've rebooted Steam, rebooted the computer, confirmed I have the correct folders in my physx folder, changed compatibility mode on the dp.exe and the launcher, verified gamefiles etc and it just keeps crashing. ANY ideas? I only got through the prologue but I loved how bizarre it was.

This kept happening to me as well. I googled for it, tried a bunch of stuff, would still crash way too often. I'd get a little further each time, but sure enough it'd crash. Eventually just said gently caress it and uninstalled it.

Shame too, from the small amount I played it seemed kind of cool (except the driving).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just to be clear, I got through the prologue because the first time I played it the game launched without issue. It's just every time I've tried to play since then it crashes immediately before the game can even start. Nothing has changed on my computer in-between, so I don't know why it is suddenly crashing now.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sober posted:

Is it something I can mute all the sound on and just play while listening to podcasts? This is important.
Yeah you can mute the audio, the only dialogue is onscreen text, usually setting up a random silly narrative.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Leper Residue posted:

Shame too, from the small amount I played it seemed kind of cool (except the driving).
The driving gets a lot better, it's just that the only car you initially have access to is really bad.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

SilverMike posted:

On the heels of Halfway sounding a bit disappointing, could I get a recommendation for a turn-based strategy game with a focus on the squad level? Latest game like that I've had fun with was XCOM:EW.

The gold standard of turn-based strategy games on PC is still Jagged Alliance 2 with the 1.13 mod. Hire mercs with colourful personalities and run a rebellion against a tyrant. Stealth in an area and knife everyone in the darkness! Or don't, and charge in in the middle of the day, spraying machine gun fire down the main street while launching expensive rockets at single enemy soldiers!

If you want something slightly newer, there's Silent Storm and Silent Storm Sentinels. World War 2 spec ops people from all over the world fighting nazis.

If you really want to go nuts, there's the janky as all hell, but really good Russian real-time with pause games like 7.62 or Marauder: Man of Prey.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I would definitely give Frozen Synapse a try. It's fantastic.

Comedy Blood Bowl option.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I would definitely give Frozen Synapse a try. It's fantastic.

Comedy Blood Bowl option.

Blood bowl is really very fun if you can accept losing from a bad roll and still have a good time.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

LibbyM posted:

Blood bowl is really very fun if you can accept losing from a bad roll and still have a good time.

Bullshit stacked the AI hates you bad rolls or legit honest bad rolls?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Has Cyanide's implementation become worth paying for? I heard it was trashy at launch...

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Croccers posted:

I don't think it was stacked against you but I remember reading an article in which it was discovered the roll outcomes were predictable because they'd screwed up the RNG or something. As to whether or not that's fixed I can't tell you.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Jerusalem posted:

Just to be clear, I got through the prologue because the first time I played it the game launched without issue. It's just every time I've tried to play since then it crashes immediately before the game can even start. Nothing has changed on my computer in-between, so I don't know why it is suddenly crashing now.

I recall DP being very finicky. Maybe try another service pack version for XP, I seem to remember having to try a few before I got one that worked. Are you using the DPfix? I found that caused regular crashes every 30 mins or so but I put up with it because it made the game look better and it was easy enough to save and keep an eye on the clock for the next regularly scheduled DP crash.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SilverMike posted:

Has Cyanide's implementation become worth paying for? I heard it was trashy at launch...

It got a lot better, but they had the annoying habit of charging full price for the base game + four more teams with each yearly release.

Croccers posted:

Feels legit, stings like the AI hates you.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SilverMike posted:

It has slowly gotten better and it's half-decent now. I won't give it much more credit than that. It's pretty janky. Some features are outright broken, like formation saving/loading (which has a chance of eating your players). It's just passable enough that you can enjoy the game itself without much issue.

Croccers posted:

The game relies entirely on d6, and that's as flukey as it sounds. The game doesn't ever cheat on rolls but Blood Bowl by its nature has hella high variance. It's really all about risk management. Identifying the safest plays and knowing when to take necessary risks. You have to be able to laugh at bad luck, as your star player trips and dies when trying to make an easy dodge.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 24, 2014

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

markgreyam posted:

I don't think it was stacked against you but I remember reading an article in which it was discovered the roll outcomes were predictable because they'd screwed up the RNG or something. As to whether or not that's fixed I can't tell you.

I believe that was finally fixed in Chaos edition.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
HAHAHAHAHAHA Holy gently caress the credits minigame in Marlow Briggs can go die in a fire. The rest of the game was good though.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Afterfall Reconquest hit Early Access. Apparently it's going to be an episodic series.

It looks...too early to tell, but it might be worth checking in over the next few weeks/months to see how it's coming along.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Anyone have a recommendation for a new skin? Pixelvision broke with the music update and I kinda feel like switching to something else completely.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a new skin? Pixelvision broke with the music update and I kinda feel like switching to something else completely.

I recommend metro.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

SilverMike posted:

On the heels of Halfway sounding a bit disappointing, could I get a recommendation for a turn-based strategy game with a focus on the squad level? Latest game like that I've had fun with was XCOM:EW.

You could try the Long War mod for XCOM:EW, it's functionally a bigger expansion pack than EW was. I really like it so far, and LW has basically taken over the XCOM thread here.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I'm pretty fond of Minimal Steam UI

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Dementropy posted:

Afterfall Reconquest hit Early Access. Apparently it's going to be an episodic series.

It looks...too early to tell, but it might be worth checking in over the next few weeks/months to see how it's coming along.

How did Afterfall Insanity get a sequel / another game. It was a janky version of Dead Space with only one or two original ideas to its name. Heres hoping they can improve on their ideas.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Has anyone tried Unrest? It looks kind of interesting, an isometric RPG/choose your own adventure thing with multiple protagonists that does away with combat. I can't really find much in the way of previews or reviews or... Anything about it. The Steam reviews are mostly positive. Not too sure about the storybook style artwork though.

Edit: It was 8 eurobux through the developer so I bought it. I'll see what it's about and post a trip report at some point.

General Emergency fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 24, 2014

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

Palpek posted:

I played 2 hours of Halfway and here are my thoughts so far.

In summary I'd call this baby's first X-com/tactics game. It's a really well presented title with a tad too thin gameplay and way too low difficulty. Unless the meat of the game is still ahead of me of course. The official screenshots show a few squad mates that I haven't met yet and the level map makes it look like I'm 1/4 into the game. I'll stick to it and see what it still has in store but if you're a tactics games veteran then definitely save yourself the trouble.

Thanks for the detailed comments. I'd be interested to know if your opinion changes as your progress. This was on my list since I first saw it, mostly just for the visual style, but I had hoped the tactics would be a little more interesting than you suggest. Kind of disappointed to hear it might not be worth it. Very frustrating when it seems like everything is in place for a game like that to be a great tactical experience and then it just doesn't go there...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Re: Origin

Logged into the client last night to avail myself of EA's largesse (Sims 2) and found all the games on my account gone. All the Mass Effects, Kingdoms of Amalur and Syndicate have vanished from my account, despite being installed under the Origin folder. (And my Mass Effect identity being linked to the account)

I'll report back on the customer service...

Edit: And now they're back...Weirdness.

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 24, 2014

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

PowerBeard posted:

How did Afterfall Insanity get a sequel / another game. It was a janky version of Dead Space with only one or two original ideas to its name. Heres hoping they can improve on their ideas.

To be perfectly honest, I cannot for the life of me imagine ever wanting to "get instant access and start playing" or "get involved with this game as it develops" for Dead Space, or a game at all like it. And I really did like Dead Space.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So is Valve going to let us disable this loving moronic linkfilter bullshit they added? It was annoying enough having to click a button everytime I wanted to click on something I was linked but now half the time their linkfilter fucks up and it gives me a service error. I don't know how Valve gets away with bogging down the steam experience so much.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Hav posted:

Re: Origin

Logged into the client last night to avail myself of EA's largesse (Sims 2) and found all the games on my account gone. All the Mass Effects, Kingdoms of Amalur and Syndicate have vanished from my account, despite being installed under the Origin folder. (And my Mass Effect identity being linked to the account)

I'll report back on the customer service...

Edit: And now they're back...Weirdness.

Almost the exact opposite for me! I had a bunch of games I didn't have before. I think they were all part of the Sim City apology thing, but you could only choose one back then. Did that change?

e: botched bbcode

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 24, 2014

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Eruonen posted:

Almost the exact opposite for me! I had a bunch of games I didn't have before. I ]i\think[/i] they were all part of the Sim City apology thing, but you could only choose one back then. Did that change?

I didn't get any extra apology games. Maybe you're just lucky. They'd have to give me the entire EA catalog to apologize for Sim lovely though.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

PowerBeard posted:

The devs were pretty aggressive about getting it discounted and into bundles and giveaways and stuff. It probably did well enough to warrant more on their budget, and honestly it's a pretty solid game. The combat is good, there's a wild variety of enemies, and the story goes further into crazypants land than most games dare to. Personally I'm happy to see more on the way.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Reason posted:

I didn't get any extra apology games. Maybe you're just lucky. They'd have to give me the entire EA catalog to apologize for Sim lovely though.

Aside from ME3, were these the games in the set? I certainly didn't buy those (aside from DS1 on Steam).

I'm not complaining, but I also doubt I'll ever play them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
Steam store page not working for anyone else? I am trying to give them my money but they don't seem to want it.

As for Blood Bowl I would say it is worth it. There are a bunch of leagues you can join if you are looking for a weekly game. There are some annoying bugs but that that's all they really are is annoying.

• Locked thread