Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Josh Lyman posted:

How is Dominion?

It does the worst thing a show can do, it's just boring.

The angel fights in the first episode or two were good and the setting has some interesting ideas, but the episodes they didn't have the budget to do crazy VFX in the writing is threadbare and the performances are really wooden and unengaging. There's nothing outright bad in it, but I just have no interest in watching any more of it with like 2 episodes sitting around waiting for me to get to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm hype now. :rip: Nikita

Man, CW-quality actors and writers? SIGN ME UP!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

Man, CW-quality actors and writers? SIGN ME UP!

Um they are on Syfy now :eng101:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So what's up with Nick yanking the last five eps of Korra? Gimme the scoop manchild goons!

Also Netflix are currently filming eight shows :monocle:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ratings blow, moving to digital.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

zoux posted:

So what's up with Nick yanking the last five eps of Korra? Gimme the scoop manchild goons!

They don't even have listed the shows that won the votes earlier.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
That Pablo Escobar show better star Adrian Grenier or no dice.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hcreight posted:

That Pablo Escobar show better star Adrian Grenier or no dice.

I know that Pedro Pascal is in it. Here's yer Pablo.

GreenNight posted:

They don't even have listed the shows that won the votes earlier.

It's just stuff that's currently in production.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

Is the caption "They're probably in Baltimore" for a picture of a DC metro station supposed to be a joke?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm excited about that untitled Netflix show starring Kyle Chandler. Is Showtime ever going to show that Vatican pilot he did?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

zoux posted:

The show's getting terrible ratings (because they aired it a week after its premiere date was announced and have been burning it off two episodes at a time in a terrible timeslot with no fanfare and no way to watch online), what are you gonna do?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MrAristocrates posted:

The show's getting terrible ratings (because they aired it a week after its premiere date was announced and have been burning it off two episodes at a time in a terrible timeslot with no fanfare and no way to watch online), what are you gonna do?

Shame because this season is kind of ok so far.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Irish Joe posted:

Or "audiences hate sci-fi" is wrong and people actually like fantastic elements in their movies/tv shows, which would explain the success of Avatar, Gravity, The Big Bang Theory, Superhero movies and Game of Thrones.
I guess it's a problem for the nerd contingent then, because if you focus on too much on character in their space show (this I feel is almost universal for sci-fi but not fantasy) they will call it a "soap opera" which is laughably the dumbest thing I have heard from nerds in a long time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sober posted:

I guess it's a problem for the nerd contingent then, because if you focus on too much on character in their space show (this I feel is almost universal for sci-fi but not fantasy) they will call it a "soap opera" which is laughably the dumbest thing I have heard from nerds in a long time.

Nerds are literally the worst and think a good critique of a show is a point by point litany of every way a show/movie deviates from irl.

I watched Sunshine last night and it was good but it was also filled with poo poo that couldn't happen but I liked it anyway because I was like "artistic license trumps fidelity to reality".

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Sober posted:

Or they'll roll their eyes and cite "family/relationship drama." And to be fair, when it's boring, it's boring, end of story. But I've seen people use it in an all-encompassing term to suggest that there should never be interpersonal drama in stories, which is insane. I sound like a blowhard here, but I worry that it contributes to a subtle regression of our ability to appreciate TV for what it is.

I'm not even talking about just "GOONS :jerkbag:," this is a nerd culture thing I've noticed in general, including GOONS :jerkbag:. We want all our poo poo to be one thing. Plot plot plot, zombies/post-apoc/fantasy/grimdark, skip the bullshit romance stories and the other interpersonal stuff, I'm not interested in your loving kids, etcetera etcetera. When somebody dares to deviate, some of us get all pissy about it and dress it up in intelligent sounding words, not like those dumbass popular kids that excluded us, no, we're not the same at all.

And AGAIN. I'm not saying that something like Dominion isn't bad. I haven't watched it. It could be every bit the boring tripe people say it is. But I find it interesting that there are some people (I promise, nobody in particular comes to mind) who would just dismiss it as "dumb family drama" out of hand, instead of just calling it boring.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

zoux posted:

So I know everyone is all internetted up about the 12 Monkeys show because it's a remake of something that people like and therefore it must be awful but the cast actually looks really good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZNcVYqnCFw

Zeljko! Noah Bean! Birkhoff is the main guy!

That actually does look pretty decent. Though as a guy who never watched Nikita, I wish that main guy was actually Robert Carlyle, rather than a guy who looks like American Robert Carlyle.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

DivisionPost posted:

Or they'll roll their eyes and cite "family/relationship drama." And to be fair, when it's boring, it's boring, end of story. But I've seen people use it in an all-encompassing term to suggest that there should never be interpersonal drama in stories, which is insane. I sound like a blowhard here, but I worry that it contributes to a subtle regression of our ability to appreciate TV for what it is.

I'm not even talking about just "GOONS :jerkbag:," this is a nerd culture thing I've noticed in general, including GOONS :jerkbag:. We want all our poo poo to be one thing. Plot plot plot, zombies/post-apoc/fantasy/grimdark, skip the bullshit romance stories and the other interpersonal stuff, I'm not interested in your loving kids, etcetera etcetera. When somebody dares to deviate, some of us get all pissy about it and dress it up in intelligent sounding words, not like those dumbass popular kids that excluded us, no, we're not the same at all.

And AGAIN. I'm not saying that something like Dominion isn't bad. I haven't watched it. It could be every bit the boring tripe people say it is. But I find it interesting that there are some people (I promise, nobody in particular comes to mind) who would just dismiss it as "dumb family drama" out of hand, instead of just calling it boring.
I've seen you in the screenwriting thread DP, so actually I do agree with what you've said. As a writer myself (just not paid to write screenplays though) I'm in the camp where the characters need the take the reins of the thing and plot not just happen because you need it to. Although obviously it does, the writer just has to make it seem convincing enough that the characters drive the plot and not have them act incorrectly just because plot is required. I blame Lost, because everyone told me to watch it because "of the mysteries" but when I got to marathoning it, I became more interested in which character the next episode would feature next. I guess Lost ruined me.

I might jump into Dominion just to see what all the complaints are about. I rarely drop a show out of spite, because these days I watch more as way to see what works and what doesn't, to improve my writing. I mean, I'm still watching Falling Skies of all things (not hatewatching, watching), because I think there are things it does right, even if it does things wrong most of the time.

Honestly I think "boring" most of the time means "why are there character scenes where they just talk about each other", whereas my definition of boring is "nothing changed, why did they need this scene? it actually didn't relay any new information to me or was visually interesting."

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
So Conan made a cameo in the upcoming SyFy movie Sharktopus vs. Pteracuda, and aired his scene last night on his show.

http://teamcoco.com/video/conan-sharktopus-vs-pteracuda-full

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

bobkatt013 posted:

But did they? I mean Bruce Willis was always sent back in time to die and make the phone call. I got that she also always went back, but the virus still occurred.

The plan was never to prevent the virus, just to get a sample of the original strain so they could develop a cure back in the future.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Flatscan posted:

The plan was never to prevent the virus, just to get a sample of the original strain so they could develop a cure back in the future.

Mu Zeta posted:

The virus happens but I'm pretty sure the scientists finding out exactly when and how it happened in the first place is brand new. She can get a sample of it and go back to her own time.

I thought the whole reason for sending Cole back was to get a sample to study it in the first place. Otherwise everything in the movie was done for nothing and not even Gilliam is that bleak. They at least saved the remains of humanity in the future.

Yeah but that does not change what I am saying. Nothing changed. She always got the cure in the past since they sent Cole back. They did get the cure but that is the way it always happened. Gilliam is that bleak. Did you ever see Brazil?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

As a screenwriter, director, and multi billionaire astronaut media baron nobel laureate (just not quite yet), I find that NEERRDDSSSSS are incapable of understanding human interpersonal relationships and emotions, and therefore do not appreciate the true genius that is Dog With a Blog.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

hcreight posted:

So Conan made a cameo in the upcoming SyFy movie Sharktopus vs. Pteracuda, and aired his scene last night on his show.

http://teamcoco.com/video/conan-sharktopus-vs-pteracuda-full

I really like how he did the whole thing in his TV voice.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

PittTheElder posted:

That actually does look pretty decent. Though as a guy who never watched Nikita, I wish that main guy was actually Robert Carlyle, rather than a guy who looks like American Robert Carlyle.

Carlyle is too busy being great on a show that fundamentally does not deserve his greatness. :smith:
Once Upon a Time is why I never make TV watching decisions based on the hotness of the lead actress anymore.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I haven't seen any of the new shows people are complaining about, but when I think of boring family drama I think 24. 24 is an action packed show with a lot of fights, explosions and interesting poo poo going down. At least once or twice a season, though, a character will inevitably get immersed in some ridiculous family drama. In the best of times, this drama will eventually tie back into the gun fights and explosions narrative, but if the only consequence of family drama is Agent X isn't where she needs to be when Bomb X is about to detonate, surely there's a more interesting way of doing that than spending five minutes an episode on whiny arguments between Agent X and their suicidal daughter/autistic babysitter/clingy boyfriend.

Spatula City posted:

Once Upon a Time is why I never make TV watching decisions based on the hotness of the lead actress anymore.

Ginnifer Goodwin???

(if you say Jennifer Morrison I won't believe you)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jennifer Morrison looks like a old lady imo!

Without looking at wikipedia which G/Jennifer do you think is older, TVIV?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

Jennifer Morrison looks like a old lady imo!

Then you haven't seen enough old ladies.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Without looking at wikipedia which G/Jennifer do you think is older, TVIV?

And while you're there, attempt a ballpark estimate of Lana Parrilla's age.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm at the age where I'm like "drat, s/he is getting old" and then realizing I'm like 2 years younger than them :smith:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I had that sad realization last night when watching Gilmore Girls. When the show was first on I was Rory's age. Now I'm Lorelei's. :smith:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Irish Joe posted:

And while you're there, attempt a ballpark estimate of Lana Parrilla's age.

She's the only reason why I watch the show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tom Cruise was 24 in Top Gun and I'll always think Maverick is older than me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Augh I'm way older than Maverick.

I'll be watching sports and see a dude and thing "drat, he's that old? He's about done" and then Oops! I'm older than him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

Then you haven't seen enough old ladies.

...I hope there isn't something you need to tell us, DivisionPost-kun. :ohdear:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Sober posted:

I've seen you in the screenwriting thread DP, so actually I do agree with what you've said.

A fair amount of that post was informed by this piece, which was brought to my attention over Twitter a couple of days ago. It's mainly about Punisher: War Zone (I follow Lexi Alexander and she personally thanked the author for making her day), but it touches on things I keep thinking about in ways that I'm not smart enough to phrase. Definitely give this a read.

precision posted:

...I hope there isn't something you need to tell us, DivisionPost-kun. :ohdear:

Only that I'm not Japanese, precision. :)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

You are an old lady though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

At Comic Con the Under the Dome creator says he envisions the series to run 3-5 seasons.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/comic-con-under-dome-ramp-720957

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV › Legend of Korra Book 3: Not even good enough for Nickelodeon

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Please don't troll the forum you moderate.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Please don't troll the forum you moderate.

Reported for backseat modding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The creators of Korra are reassuring fans that the show isn't canceled but there'll be more news at SDCC.

• Locked thread