Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zillain
Jun 6, 2014
I've used multiple iPhones, and the Galaxy S3 (which is my current phone). My carrier is AT&T. I am honestly torn between the two and I am just looking for some more info on both pros and cons of each phone. Any help or info is greatly appreciated. My upgrade is in two weeks so I have a bit to decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
they are pretty different in size, but are otherwise solid phones that differ mostly in OS. deciding whether iOS or Android is the right one for you is going to be a decision you'll have to make yourself, though, they are both solid phone OSes. your best shot will just to be to try them out for yourself. If you like them both pretty much equally just pick whichever one feels better in-hand, both are good enough phones that it really doesn't matter

waffle fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 8, 2014

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
I don't know if the GS5 is anything like my GS4, but if you enjoy having a whole heap of useless, uninstallable Samsung garbage apps in addition to your carrier's idiot trash apps, then the GS5 will be right up your alley.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How do you normally use your phone? Are you changing the appearance up a lot? Are you looking for something stable? Any specific things you need or must have? Both phones are solid choices for getting things done, but it would help if we knew what you do.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Do you want to constantly janitor your phone? Get the Galaxy. Do you want a phone that 'just works' out of the box? Get an iPhone.

Zillain
Jun 6, 2014
I dont really do too much stuff on my phone. I mainly use a few apps. Such as, YouTube, Twitch TV, The Something Awful App, and a select few others. I absolutely hate all the random useless poo poo that came preloaded on my Galaxy. It annoys me more than anything. But, I dont really customize my phone that much. Which is why im considering going back with Apple. Mainly i use my phone for texting, calling occasionally, and a using the apps i listed above. Another thing is that im a big guy. 6' 7" to be exact so i have huge hands. The iPhone seems a bit on the small side. But i really like the sleek look of it. Another thing i like about the iPhone is the extreme ease of use and navigation. I still do not know all the things my galaxy can do, and that is another reason why idk which to choose because there is so much you can do on an android that ive never take the time to learn. I hope this helps a bit to give an idea on what im looking for in a phone.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
get the iphone, also this

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Secret Sweater posted:

I don't know if the GS5 is anything like my GS4, but if you enjoy having a whole heap of useless, uninstallable Samsung garbage apps in addition to your carrier's idiot trash apps, then the GS5 will be right up your alley.

Yeah its pretty sucky not being able to disable things in android. Oh wait..

Zillain posted:

I dont really do too much stuff on my phone. I mainly use a few apps. Such as, YouTube, Twitch TV, The Something Awful App, and a select few others. I absolutely hate all the random useless poo poo that came preloaded on my Galaxy. It annoys me more than anything. But, I dont really customize my phone that much. Which is why im considering going back with Apple. Mainly i use my phone for texting, calling occasionally, and a using the apps i listed above. Another thing is that im a big guy. 6' 7" to be exact so i have huge hands. The iPhone seems a bit on the small side. But i really like the sleek look of it. Another thing i like about the iPhone is the extreme ease of use and navigation. I still do not know all the things my galaxy can do, and that is another reason why idk which to choose because there is so much you can do on an android that ive never take the time to learn. I hope this helps a bit to give an idea on what im looking for in a phone.

The iPhone other than the screen being tiny (to me), is honestly still one of the best devices out there to do some basic smart phone poo poo and just not worry about it.

The Galaxy line has gotten much better, But theres still some touchwiz things people like to sperg about. My Fiance is basically what I like to call a normal End User and she dont mind touchwiz at all. She likes how it works and looks, and it dont blow up randomly. She simply hides or disables apps she dont want in her app drawer and moves on with her life. Her biggest problem has been she murdered the charge port over 2 years but it was replaced under warranty so whatever.

Just go play with a GS5, If you like it, Pull the trigger. Its a solid phone regardless of what the sperglords say about samsung/touchwiz/babymurder.

Basically. If the iPhone has a 5"+ Screen option. Id bail on android forever. Id miss Google Wallet, Ill miss wireless charging. I wont miss hunting for cases, accessories, resale value, Micro USB. Even Customizing anymore is pretty useless to me. Plus the smaller devices just feel small to me. I like a large screen, I read a lot on my device (forums, books, etc). Only reason Im still on android to be honest.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 8, 2014

Zillain
Jun 6, 2014
Alright, I will at least get a hold of an GS5 to mess around with. Then ill make my decision. I do love a big screen. Why Apple has refused to upscale their screen size is beyond me. But thanks for the tips and info guys.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Check out the HTC One m8; it's generally considered to be a better Android device than the GS5 (except for the camera). The front facing speakers are amazing and HTCs Android skin is actually useful/doesn't look like poo poo (unlike TouchWiz).

The iPhone 5s is obviously great and my personal daily driver but I routinely switch back to my One because it really is a fantastic device. On the other hand, my GS4 sits in a desk drawer because it's a poorly designed piece of crap loaded with useless half baked gimmicks. The GS5 seems to be more of the same.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah its pretty sucky not being able to disable things in android. Oh wait..

Samsung doesn't let you uninstall those apps, just 'Stop' them, which seems to work just as well until they decide to randomly turn themselves back on later that week and remind you that, hey, you should really check your heartrate. In the Android thread I just recently had a whole saga with how I got the Galaxy S5 from T-Mobile, but didn't realize how completely poo poo it was, so I returned it and gladly ate the $50 restocking fee.

Basically, for me, Samsung = never again. I feel like the main selling point of the Galaxy S5 is the camera, and in ideal, perfect conditions (blue sky, clear day, lot of sunlight in your photo) it really is quite breaktaking, the problem is that when you start getting overcast days, or you go inside, or the light conditions are not as great, the quality turns to absolute dogshit and even a phone with a 'mediocre' camera like the Nexus 5 starts to take much better pictures. Being that I live in Seattle, pretty much all of my pictures, ever, are on overcast days or inside, so your mileage may vary.

So if camera is important to you, again, I can't recommend the GS5 at all.

Out of the two choices, go with the iPhone. Alternative: get a Nexus 5 or Moto X/G because they're, you know, actually good. My fiancee loves Macbooks and has sworn by the one she has now since like 2007, and she thought she'd absolutely love an iPhone, but when she went to the kiosk and actually played with it she loathed it. Quote: "I could break this loving thing and not even notice." She went with a Galaxy S3 (back then it was new) and loves it; she's not nearly as much of a sperglord as I am so she doesn't care about touchwiz.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 9, 2014

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Daily Forecast posted:

Samsung doesn't let you uninstall those apps, just 'Stop' them, which seems to work just as well until they decide to randomly turn themselves back on later that week and remind you that, hey, you should really check your heartrate. In the Android thread I just recently had a whole saga with how I got the Galaxy S5 from T-Mobile, but didn't realize how completely poo poo it was, so I returned it and gladly ate the $50 restocking fee.

Basically, for me, Samsung = never again. I feel like the main selling point of the Galaxy S5 is the camera, and in ideal, perfect conditions (blue sky, clear day, lot of sunlight in your photo) it really is quite breaktaking, the problem is that when you start getting overcast days, or you go inside, or the light conditions are not as great, the quality turns to absolute dogshit and even a phone with a 'mediocre' camera like the Nexus 5 starts to take much better pictures. Being that I live in Seattle, pretty much all of my pictures, ever, are on overcast days or inside, so your mileage may vary.

So if camera is important to you, again, I can't recommend the GS5 at all.

Out of the two choices, go with the iPhone. Alternative: get a Nexus 5 or Moto X/G because they're, you know, actually good. My fiancee loves Macbooks and has sworn by the one she has now since like 2007, and she thought she'd absolutely love an iPhone, but when she went to the kiosk and actually played with it she loathed it. Quote: "I could break this loving thing and not even notice." She went with a Galaxy S3 (back then it was new) and loves it; she's not nearly as much of a sperglord as I am so she doesn't care about touchwiz.

They "turn back on" after your "AUTO APP UPDATE" updates them.

Zillain
Jun 6, 2014
Yeah i was definitely considering the HTC One M8 becuase it just looks like a sick phone. My brother had the original HTC One with the whole beats audio thing and it was pretty cool but after about a year, it turned into kind of a piece. Now that also could've been because my brother doesn't take care of his tech poo poo very well, although he claims he treated it like a baby. I find that it was more the user than the phone itself. Ill definitely check out the M8 and the Nexus 5.

Zillain
Jun 6, 2014

Zillain posted:

Yeah i was definitely considering the HTC One M8 becuase it just looks like a sick phone. My brother had the original HTC One with the whole beats audio thing and it was pretty cool but after about a year, it turned into kind of a piece. Now that also could've been because my brother doesn't take care of his tech poo poo very well, although he claims he treated it like a baby. I find that it was more the user than the phone itself. Ill definitely check out the M8 and the Nexus 5.

Oh and one more thing. I'm not one to snap a "selfie" every 20 minutes so cameras do not mean that much to me. As long as i can get quality as good as my current phone (Galaxy S3) then Ill be happy.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

EbolaIvory posted:

They "turn back on" after your "AUTO APP UPDATE" updates them.

They shouldn't loving do it at all, I don't want a phone that operates the way Samsung thinks I want it to operate, I'd rather have one that actually does what I want it to do.

oh yeah and the charging port cover on the Galaxy S5 pissed me off to no end because I guess it's made for people with fingernails, which is not me.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

If you're posting on Something Awful and will actually read 20 replies to a question you should've answered yourself in like 5 seconds, then maybe the Galaxy is the best choice for you, the active obsessive sperg on the go

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Zillain posted:

Why Apple has refused to upscale their screen size is beyond me.
I'm thinking maybe it's because giant phones are idiotic and 4" iphones are already challenging the limits of practicality.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Zillain posted:

Yeah I don't see how it could magically turn into a piece, HTC did pretty well with the software updates (for an Android OEM :haw: ) and the build quality of the m7 is almost Apple tier.

And yeah I forgot about the nexus 5 but that's a great option if you're not burning a subsidy to get it.

Far as screen size is concerned: I have tiny babby hands and my primary computer is a MacBook, so the iPhone is great for me - but the One's screen and speakers kick the poo poo out of the iPhone to an absolutely enormous degree so keep that in mind if you regularly use your phone for media consumption.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend
Lumia 1520. It's big, super easy to use, amazing camera

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
You should consider the Sony Xperia Z2. Water proof and with a camera that records 4K videos

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Zillain posted:

I had one of the original HTC One phones, it seemed great when I got it but after a year or so I was very ready to get rid of it. I don't think it was a problem with the phone so much as the expectations. Having an Android 4.0 phone was great but they never did any software updates for it, and the screen size turned out to be pretty disappointing in the long run.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Don Tacorleone posted:

If you're posting on Something Awful and will actually read 20 replies to a question you should've answered yourself in like 5 seconds, then maybe the Galaxy is the best choice for you, the active obsessive sperg on the go

Hahah

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Daily Forecast posted:

They shouldn't loving do it at all, I don't want a phone that operates the way Samsung thinks I want it to operate, I'd rather have one that actually does what I want it to do.

Apple fanboy spotted. Have you considered getting a Jitterbug???

Anyway, OP, try them both and see which one you like the most. :shobon:

Get one through Bestbuy or some other big retailer, they usually don't charge restocking if you don't like it after 14 days and you can try the other. :banjo:

waffle posted:

get the iphone, also this

That OP is old as gently caress and a lot has changed since then.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Prescription Combs posted:

Apple fanboy spotted. Have you considered getting a Jitterbug???

Anyway, OP, try them both and see which one you like the most. :shobon:

Get one through Bestbuy or some other big retailer, they usually don't charge restocking if you don't like it after 14 days and you can try the other. :banjo:

That OP is old as gently caress and a lot has changed since then.
He's pointing to the thread specifically intended for phone recommendations, not the OP specifically. The current posts are still up to date.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
You should get an iPhone 5S, OP.

This thread would have been better with a poll.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I'd just base my decision on which ecosystem you like better. I've had both and personally I decided to go with iOS because Android doesn't do tablets as well as the iPad.

If you do go android, definitely consider waiting a month and getting the Moto X+1 instead of the Galaxy. I had the original Moto X and freaking LOVED it. Even the HTC One (M8) might be worth a look (I had the One (M7) as well and liked it...but not as much as my iPhone). I don't know if someone could pay me enough to use a Galaxy phone.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Zillain posted:

Alright, I will at least get a hold of an GS5 to mess around with. Then ill make my decision. I do love a big screen. Why Apple has refused to upscale their screen size is beyond me. But thanks for the tips and info guys.

The Apple rumor mill is flooded with two larger screen sizes for the 6 so you might be a little early in your dismay. Over the last few years the rumor mill seems to be generally true.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

strtj posted:

I had one of the original HTC One phones, it seemed great when I got it but after a year or so I was very ready to get rid of it. I don't think it was a problem with the phone so much as the expectations. Having an Android 4.0 phone was great but they never did any software updates for it, and the screen size turned out to be pretty disappointing in the long run.

As someone who has had a One (M7) for a bit over a year I have no idea what you're going on about. I get reasonably frequent updates OTA for the phone, I think it's on the latest version of Android. The screen size is great too, whenever I use my fiances iPhone I can't get over how small it is. The metal construction is a big plus too, I dropped it on concrete the other day and was able to file down a few rough edges and dings so they're barely noticeable.

fdaJJ
May 3, 2005

DEEP DOWN I'M A FURRY WHO LOVES TIGERS
I was an iphone user for a long time, but gave up after broken buttons. Honestly if you do not mind having a broken power button or hold switch and using touch assist to turn your phone off, the iphone is for you.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

THC posted:

I'm thinking maybe it's because giant phones are idiotic and 4" iphones are already challenging the limits of practicality.

Oh my god, what is it about phones that makes people take preferences driven by use cases and declare them universal truths?

I have an S5, and I've had zero problem with crapware re-enabling itself or bugging me to check my heart rate (what the gently caress??). The TouchWiz (lol that's built into the auto correct dictionary) stuff is more clunky than outright horrible, and is totally usable.

That said, I've replaced most of the Samsung apps with a mix of third party and stock Google apps. I've got Nova for the launcher, Contacts+ for the contacts list, regular Gmail for the mail app, and I rooted specifically to uninstall the NFL app because its presence offended me. If this sort of customization sounds burdensome rather than appealing, go iphone.

Just for the record, the flap over the charging port is part of how the phone can survive at the bottom of a fish bowl for half an hour. It's not designed to be removable, but the hinge is a thin plastic loop you could easily snip.

It'd still be best to try both, of course.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fdaJJ posted:

I was an iphone user for a long time, but gave up after broken buttons. Honestly if you do not mind having a broken power button or hold switch and using touch assist to turn your phone off, the iphone is for you.
I've never had a broken button on an iPhone. If it's an iPhone 5, that's a known problem and they'll replace it for you even if you're out of warranty.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Keep in mind, the old version of Touchwiz and the new version are NOT the same thing. The old version was a turd, and you can't polish a turd. The new version is something you can polish and it seems to be a bit less resource hungry.

I've owned numerous Samsung devices and will never return to them. Always amazed me how my Note 10.1 2014 ran so horribly with the specs it had. Oh well.

fdaJJ posted:

Stuff breaks when you ram it into hard surfaces. Sarcasm aside, what the heck were you doing with your phone? I've owned every single iPhone to date (yeah, I like phones, had tons of Android devices too) and have never had a problem with buttons. In fact, in my repairs for other people I've done a single button repair.

Easily the exception, not the rule.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 23, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Get an S5, root it and install a custom rom like Paranoid Android or something. That way you have a bitching phone, don't have to deal with TouchWiz but still get all the cool Android stuff.

I still have an S3 and it's a very solid phone but goddamn TouchWiz is a piece of poo poo.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The actual hardware is poo poo too though and you can't fix that through rooting. And all that for the price of an iPhone? Forget about it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ddraig posted:

Get an S5, root it and install a custom rom like Paranoid Android or something. That way you have a bitching phone, don't have to deal with TouchWiz but still get all the cool Android stuff.
Instead you get to deal with all the problems and annoyances that come with putting a custom ROM on your phone.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I bet 90% of the whizbang S-features don't even work with third-party rom, including at least one of the multiple "power saving modes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Instead you get to deal with all the problems and annoyances that come with putting a custom ROM on your phone.

You don't really need to Root and custom ROM anymore, just install a different launcher like Nova and go from there.

• Locked thread