Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Just trying to see if anyone has experience with the HP Elitebook Revolve (G1 or G2) either personally or in their business. According to HP these are supposed to be rugged, but apparently we got the poo poo batch of them.

quote:

The EliteBook 810 G1 presumably gets its name from the MIL-STD 810G, a level of abuses developed by the U.S. Department of Defense to determine field readiness. According to HP, this unit can survive 26 drops from a desk height of 30 inches onto any side, angle or edge.

I gotta call bullshit on this.

In the past 3-4 months since we've deployed about 400-500 of these laptops, at least 10 so far have broken a tab when installing the battery, which makes the unit unusable since that clip holds the battery in. I would have chalked this up to excessive force when putting in the battery if I hadn't personally saw this happen myself. At about $1500 a unit and claiming ruggedness, that's a pretty piss poor design and HP doesn't cover this damage, so we now have to go to our rep.

A few users have also cracked the "rugged" glass screen just by flipping it to tablet mode. One was during a presentation where the people in the meeting confirmed that the person using it didn't force it and they were all honestly surprised how easily the screen cracked.

I've watched Thinkpads and Dell Latitudes get dropped off a desk and survive with little more than a scuff. I wouldn't count on these turds surviving a fall from 1 foot onto a feather pillow.

So, if you have any similar experiences let me know; I think we made a bad choice here and we have to support these another 2 1/2 years or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Learned my lesson on HP gear years ago. At one point we had an "HP Closet" at work that was literally filled with nothing but busted HP gear.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

revmoo posted:

Learned my lesson on HP gear years ago. At one point we had an "HP Closet" at work that was literally filled with nothing but busted HP gear.

While we haven't got any of the newer gen Elitebooks the previous models were extremely well built (2540/60/70p generations). It'd be a shame if the new ones aren't as tough as I really don't see any alternatives that are any better.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

We typically use HP equipment here, including the Revolve. I haven't heard of any issues. I'm actually using an EliteBook 850 right now and haven't had any problems. I wonder if they have a bad batch coming through. Are you getting them through CDW?

Squizz
Nov 6, 2003
I've worked for a VAR for many years and the statement that HP notebooks have gone to crap is an understatement. This happened once they left the 6930p models and even these towards the end of life were having bad batches left and right.

I had a Telecom leave HP because for every 100 elitebooks they would buy, 35 would break within 90 days.

From what I'm told, Dell isn't a much better solution. Those who were left HP have gone to Lenovo and love the build, but the cost is more.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Weird, we have like 400 8540p laptops and had maybe 10-15 warranty cases in the last year...

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Battery latch design is probably unchanged from the 85xx. I just scrap-piled an 8530 about half an hour ago because of a failed battery latch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

It wasn't CDW, but I agree that Dell has it's problems too. I will say though that between Lenovo and Dell, we always had better quality and support with Dell vs Lenovo, with over 5000 users and a mixture of desktops and laptops as well as developer class desktops.

We started with Dell and switched at the end of our lease agreement after the rash of bad capacitor issues that went through the entire industry. Leaving out the leaking caps on the Optiplexes (GX-180 through 280), the other stuff like the Latitude laptops and developer desktops were solid. poo poo, we just scrapped a 7 year old developer GX-745 tower that still had original parts and only due to needing increased CPU.

Lenovo....well they started out nice. Built like a brick, both Thinkcentre desktops and Thinkpad laptops. But what we saved in price per machine we lost in lovely support, service and shipping, and being nickled and dimed on all of those fronts. We are now back to Dell with a mixture of Toughbooks for specialized jobs and we're much better off. I can only hope we don't go with HP next refresh.

• Locked thread