Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Welcome to the Mafia Discussion Thread!
(the previous threads)

:getin: New Game Announcement thread: a thread is reserved entirely for people announcing their game starting/finishing (or announcing they are taking signups, etc.). This is JUST for game announcements! Any discussion belongs in this, the Discussion Thread!

:woop: The Mafia Wiki: The SA collaborative project for all things mafia related! Registration is currently closed, post in the thread if you need to make an edit and don't have an account.

:kimchi: VoteFinder! If you have a problem with it, PM soru, he doesn't check the thread anymore!

:toot: Chill with us in #mafia on irc.synirc.net :toot:
:frog: Mibbit link

:steam: SA WIFOM, our Steam group.

:fork: Completed Games list: (almost) every game ever run, with its mod and result.

===================================================

:confused: What the hell is Mafia?

Short Explanation:
It is a game where you call people idiots, assholes, and liars (in good fun).

Long Explanation:
Mafia is a party game modeling a battle between an informed minority ("the Mafia" or "scum") and an uninformed majority ("the Town"). Members of the mafia know who each other are, and are able to communicate with each other outside of the thread. Townies do not know who each other are, but they greatly outnumber the mafia. The goal of both factions is to eliminate each other.

Before the game starts, the moderator will send everyone their role in private. A person's role consists of which faction they are part of, as well as any special abilities they may have.

The game typically consists of two phases: Day and Night.

During the day, the players discuss and collectively choose someone to execute by voting. Townies will try to vote off people whom they believe to be Mafia members, while the Mafia will try to lead the town astray. Once the majority of people have voted for a single player, that player will be removed from the game, and their role and alignment is revealed to all players.

During the night, all public communication stops, and the Mafia collectively choose someone to kill, and submit their choice to the moderator. In addition, any players with special night actions submit their decisions to the moderator. Common night actions include investigating other players to find out their alignment (a "Cop") and protecting other players to prevent them from dying that night (a "Doc"). After the moderator has received all night actions, the moderator publicly reveals who if anyone died during the night, and a new day begins.

The game continues to alternate between day and night until one faction has eliminated the other. More complicated games can have more than two factions, as well as factions with victory conditions that are different from the standard "kill everyone else."

:eng101: Purpose of this thread

This thread is meant for discussing past games of Mafia, games you have played in, mafia variants, rules and roles that you like or would like to see, linking to games you find interesting, discussion of strategies, and pretty much anything related to Mafia or the SA Mafia community. We have a pretty active playerbase, and we love newcomers. We also love talking about ourselves, and there have been multiple real life gatherings of hopeless losers new-found friends. We often do field trips together to other forums or games, and every Holiday season we do a Secret Santa! We have quite a cozy community here.

:crossarms: F.A.Q.
  • How do I sign up for a game?
    Just post in the game's thread that you're interested in playing! If you're feeling especially bold, post in the thread here that you wanna play - mods will often trip over themselves starting games for new players.

• What if I want to mod a game myself?
    Go ahead! If you have modding questions or have a cool idea but aren't sure how to implement it, send a PM to fitsfadda or Opopanax and they'll give it a look-over. Alternatively just asking the thread usually works as well! There's no queue or anything, so just post it when it's ready. Use this thread to gauge interest; games can fill up in an hour, or wait for weeks before getting enough players. It's a little feast or famine.

• I am really bad at this game :( How do I improve?
    Lots of people are bad at this game! It can take a while to get into the swing of things. Just try to be honest and forthright with how you try to find scum - don't be too scared of being wrong! - and it'll start to fit together eventually. Also, don't feel too bad if someone seems hurt that you called them scum - maybe you're right and they're just trying to get you to second guess yourself!

• Someone said something mean and it hurt my emotions. :smith:
    Kids can be so cruel. This game often requires a thick skin, but if someone is genuinely upsetting you, telling them (or the game's moderator) can help. We all just want to have a good time, but sometimes people take it too far.

:phone: Helpful Links:

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Community Stuff!!

- A map of mafia players

- Our plug.DJ Room

- SA Mafia Movie Fantasy League (l: SAmafia/pw: rollingstart)

- mr. capps sings link dead :(

- SA Mafia Fantasy Wrestling League

- Secret Santa 2014

MildManeredManikin posted:

I apologize for this being so slapshod and poorly thrown together.
- Mafia Skype Signup Sheet!!

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 22, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Stealing the spot!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I still don't like this OP.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Put some cool stuff in it.
like pictures and music i like

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

If you haven't already, make sure you add your location to the map that tearshed set up:

https://www.zeemaps.com/SA_Mafia

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Juanito fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 26, 2014

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

mr.capps posted:

I still don't like this OP.

You should continue to use the other thread, because its OP is good, unlike this one's OP.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Mafia stinks please don't play it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
here this could be a song in the op for Town theme music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM
and this could be the scum theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjuv3rFOQaU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Please close this thread, friendly mod.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Okay I recommend people get out their anxiety and frustrations in the other thread, and try their best to leave this one free of shitposting! It is a Brand New Day here in SA Mafiaville.

If you wish to do a better OP I recommend creating your own in perhaps GBS or BYOB, those are entire forums dedicated to hilarious posting.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Actually this is just a boring OP it has nothing to do with it not being hilarious.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Ecco can I play here or are you shunning me like you did IRL

tearshed
Mar 26, 2010

Leave it to me!
Here we go again.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Tremendous Taste posted:

Ecco can I play here or are you shunning me like you did IRL

I have literally spent 0 minutes in real life with mafia people, and have no desire to have that change any time soon! It is not personal I promise.

mr.capps posted:

here this could be a song in the op

ok

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 25, 2014

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

EccoRaven posted:

I have literally spent 0 minutes in real life with mafia people, and have no desire to have that change any time soon! It is not personal I promise.

This is actually a really good policy so I'm over it.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Ecco is mad. He's irate

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Post in this thread if you're very caremad, and love to be caremad.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Please stop.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Hooray!

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

mr.capps posted:

here this could be a song in the op for Town theme music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM
and this could be the scum theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjuv3rFOQaU

I actually really like this idea.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

EccoRaven posted:

I'd have a beer with anyone who is ever in Philly, even people I have called shitler assholes with downs in a mafia game

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Juanito posted:

If you haven't already, make sure you add your location to the map that tearshed set up:

https://www.zeemaps.com/SA_Mafia

Yo 8bux, I don't live near all my hunter friends anymore so I may not be able to get gator tail as easily , but I live about an hour outside of atlanta now!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I have met with many Mafia Goons once they visit cool cities.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Does anyone want to play Shank 2

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

francois probs

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

did grandma forget her avatar somehwere

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

I'd have a beer with anyone who is ever in Philly, even people I have called shitler assholes with downs in a mafia game

So everyone?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I like this thread. It's got that new thread smell.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

GulagDolls posted:

Just played ... It was great. Maybe another time lol

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Asiina posted:

So everyone?

drinking with stupid people is fun

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

JakeP posted:

drinking with stupid people is fun

Probably why so many people will drink with you.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Thread is terrible already

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CCKeane posted:

Probably why so many people will drink with you.

prolly

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Hi everyone please get the byob posting theme script so you can hear my posting theme when I post in mafia.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Reminder that I am currently in the process of being ~inspired~ for a Big Game!

Current list of presignups:
- QuoProQuid
- Crazyeyes
- Puntification
- Rarity
- kilran

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

mr.capps posted:

Hi everyone please get the byob posting theme script so you can hear my posting theme when I post in mafia.

If you provide instructions and I can also have a theme I will do this

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

EccoRaven posted:

- #1Jakep#1
- QuoProQuid
- Crazyeyes
- Puntification
- Rarity
- kilran

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

EccoRaven posted:

- QuoProQuid
- Crazyeyes
- Puntification
- Rarity
- kilran

All right dude sign me up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

- QuoProQuid
- Crazyeyes
- Puntification
- Rarity
- kilran

I will troll you game ecco. Sign me up.

• Locked thread