Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
whos the yosposter who works for a hdd manufacturer? proton?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

graph posted:

iscsi and lol no they each cost about as much as a midrange luxury vehicle

e: going from ~190iops to over 4000 was fuckshitdamn.gif irl

kinda curious exactly what this is, because fusion drives usually mean they have a dependance on OS X which is pretty much the only difference of hybrids

at work our video suite has this huge array of regular HD's in a cabinet. sometimes renders happen over night, and i think it would be a huge benefit to think about something faster

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

ah that's sweet. i'm also thinking about a mirrored raid configuration. it would be amazing to do that with two 4TB's

sounds cool, is seagate better than they used to be?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

kinda curious exactly what this is

dell equallogic (because lol@ netapp's prices)

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

sounds cool, is seagate better than they used to be?

i guess so, or maybe just for that particular HD because of the good average 4/5 star rating

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

kinda curious exactly what this is, because fusion drives usually mean they have a dependance on OS X which is pretty much the only difference of hybrids

at work our video suite has this huge array of regular HD's in a cabinet. sometimes renders happen over night, and i think it would be a huge benefit to think about something faster

unless you're rendering fast enough to be limited by storage speed (this usually only happens when dumping something to disk or doing a stream copy) something faster really wont help much

i mean obv seek time or whatever might be a little better and you might get like 3-4 fps better but meh

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
besides the way fusion drives work i dont think files being rendered would end up on the ssd anyway?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

graph posted:

dell equallogic (because lol@ netapp's prices)

those things is pretty hardcore. 82 TB gawdamn

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
hybrid drives in general are garbage. apples fusion drive is good because it has a lot of flash (minimum 128gb) , seagate drives have a miniscule amount of flash (8gb) so basically just perform like faster harddrives. other solutions are usually fundamentally broken.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Beeftweeter posted:

unless you're rendering fast enough to be limited by storage speed (this usually only happens when dumping something to disk or doing a stream copy) something faster really wont help much

i mean obv seek time or whatever might be a little better and you might get like 3-4 fps better but meh

yeah you're probably right

Beeftweeter posted:

besides the way fusion drives work i dont think files being rendered would end up on the ssd anyway?

well my guess that's not how they work anyway. the ssd kind of just works as a temporary place for faster read/write and everything eventually ends up on the hd

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

ya let me get a moving disk op

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

Perplx posted:

that's a nice poverty 4tb you have there

someone send me a couple of these.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
$210 nzd for one. hmmmery

theadder posted:

ya let me get a moving disk op

*spends 4 grand upgrading 4tbs of storage to ssd*

*watches a movie and gets the same amount of buffer underflows* (none)

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE posted:

someone send me a couple of these.

i couldn't find a price online.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
load me up with your files

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

those things is pretty hardcore. 82 TB gawdamn

i go thru that in a day

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
u got a problem

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

*spends 4 grand upgrading 4tbs of storage to ssd*

i have v little data stored tbh

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
your opinion of massive storage is a piece of poo poo

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

:(

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm all about large hard drives (my penis)

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

PCI-E SSDs are the future and both SAS and SATA are lovely standards for SSDs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

PCI-E SSDs are the future and both SAS and SATA are lovely standards for SSDs

im intrigued. go on

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

agreed sata is so slow

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

its ok

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i dunno echopenis i dunno =/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its easy jus get a better opinion

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
everyone's different and some of us just need bigger file storage, and we all have a right to that. but remember never to store files abusively

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I find having media on hand is great for great
times etx

love me some impractical jokers and being able to slap up any episode right when erv is golden

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

So whats a good 'prosumer' NAS to fill up with these lil cuties?

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Beeftweeter posted:

also seagate is garbage i had to stop buying them because they would literally all fail on me within like 4 months

It's pronounced "Maxtor"

Seriously, Seagate rocked until their Maxtor acquisition and then all their drives went to crap. Also, every Maxtor drive I ever bought (not just for me) died a horrible death within 4 years.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Perplx posted:

that's a nice poverty 4tb you have there

sometimes i just like to go to the datacenter and stare into the crash cart for hours so people think im working

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

echinopsis posted:

im intrigued. go on

SATA is capped at 6gbps and the consortium that makes the spec is saying the next version will only be 12gbps, meanwhile SSDs are projected to be at 20gbps in the next few years. There is also a lot of underlying things in the SATA and SAS spec that were designed around spinning discs and slow down SSDs a lot. Intel said gently caress you to SATA and is making PCI-E drives that are crazy fast now.

if you actually care heres a picture and an article

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8104/intel-ssd-dc-p3700-review-the-pcie-ssd-transition-begins-with-nvme

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks bud! i care. i mean im interested. its interesting that i care and i care that i am interesting now that i know

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 26, 2014

pram
Jun 10, 2001

echinopsis posted:

thanks bud! i care. i mean im interested. its interesting that i care and i care that i am interesting now that i know

are you like, being sarcastic

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is this one of those things where i have to play a *mwop mwop* sound so people know its a joke

im never sarcastic

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

SATA is capped at 6gbps and the consortium that makes the spec is saying the next version will only be 12gbps, meanwhile SSDs are projected to be at 20gbps in the next few years. There is also a lot of underlying things in the SATA and SAS spec that were designed around spinning discs and slow down SSDs a lot. Intel said gently caress you to SATA and is making PCI-E drives that are crazy fast now.

if you actually care heres a picture and an article

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8104/intel-ssd-dc-p3700-review-the-pcie-ssd-transition-begins-with-nvme

that's cool thx

also

NoneMoreNegative posted:

So whats a good 'prosumer' NAS to fill up with these lil cuties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

are you like, being sarcastic

i thought the same even with the edited version

• Locked thread