Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spaceking posted:

Wait, do you mean full 3D environment, or just rendering out sprites?

Sprites, like DF.

E: The hardest part is all of the bad pointers and framework that has to be gutted and changed, so I have to do a great deal of coding off-site and I can't find a way to do it that won't break a bunch of poo poo. KA101 and Granade don't seem to mind as long as that stuff is easy to fix. Mostly it's just implementing the code.

The first too code 3D gets 1.3k, it's broken into 6 sections, which at least 300$ for each section completed.

If you're curious: https://www.bountysource.com/trackers/146201-clever-raven-cataclysm-dda I'd much rather see it implemented, so if someone else is interested in doing it go right ahead. Might be a nifty way to earn some extra cash.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The bounty idea is a good way to use the kickstarter funds, get it done, you get paid, don't get it done, get hosed.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
The only problem is no one wants to do anything put up on bounty source.

At least none of the major job, at any appreciable pace. I'm sure they'll get there eventually and it was probably the smartest way to use the remaining KS funds, they didn't cut and run.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I haven't played in a while. Does frostbite go away eventually? I spent a little while exploring the first level of a science lab, and came out with a frostbitten face. Also, oddly, my status display says "Hot arms!" but the description of it is "Your arms are frostbitten from prolonged exposure to the cold." Not sure what's up with that.

edit: Yes, they do eventually wear off. Good.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 23, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well, frostbite does feel like burning to a degree, and it's entirely possible to have hot, frostbitten arms. Frostbite is tissue damage caused by exposure to excessive cold. Like if you stick cooked meat in the freezer.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I think it's more of a stupid bug, because this behaviour didn't use to be there, but then I don't put it past Cataclysm to say "gently caress it, both statuses" based on tenuous logic like that.

acidia
Oct 31, 2012
Nah, I think someone is working on paradoxical undressing associated with hypothermia. I remember it being mentioned as an effect they wanted to add. I don't know how they implemented it but before you die from hypothermia something cracks and you think you are actually really hot. I'm pretty sure it is easy to find info on but most people (including myself) haven't encountered any mention of it before.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
You guys may want to hold off from updating if you play the experimental builds; there's a pretty crippling bug present right now: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/8311

I'm assuming the bug was introduced because they just recently made it so you can refill containers that are on the ground, which is a huge and welcomed change, but I guess it broke other things and nobody did any testing before integrating.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Business as usual, then?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Anticheese posted:

Business as usual, then?

Yes, the experimental build that exists to help weed out bugs has a bug

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Jesus things that dodge are seriously annoying. I can punch out a bear but a dog is something I just can't kill. I can throw rocks which somehow hit, but it's slow and boring and poo poo. And then something actually nasty comes along and I demolish it, as long as my legs aren't ruined by dogs and cougars and coyotes that come at me in droves.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Slime posted:

Jesus things that dodge are seriously annoying. I can punch out a bear but a dog is something I just can't kill. I can throw rocks which somehow hit, but it's slow and boring and poo poo. And then something actually nasty comes along and I demolish it, as long as my legs aren't ruined by dogs and cougars and coyotes that come at me in droves.

Try running into a forest or keeping a bush between you and it. They'll get caught up during their hit-and-run allowing you to clobber it.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

esquilax posted:

Try running into a forest or keeping a bush between you and it. They'll get caught up during their hit-and-run allowing you to clobber it.

Yeah, I found the best way to do early melee was to force the enemy to enter an area that slows them down, like a bush, window or trolley. Gives them less attacks.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
I notice that a lot of recipes are concealed behind books now - can those ever be discovered with use? I know I kinda liked making mountain man characters before, but it would be kinda impractical if I could never make the more advanced bow types (or even wooden arrows? I know I saw those as a book recipe) without going into town to find a library.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

Strudel Man posted:

I notice that a lot of recipes are concealed behind books now - can those ever be discovered with use? I know I kinda liked making mountain man characters before, but it would be kinda impractical if I could never make the more advanced bow types (or even wooden arrows? I know I saw those as a book recipe) without going into town to find a library.

As far as I know, you now must have the books if you want to learn most recipes. From what I understand, the reasoning is that in real life, certain things are easy enough to make, that if you have a basic understanding of that field (cooking, electronics, etc.), then you would have a good idea of how to make them. Other things however you would never learn on your own, and thus need the recipes to make.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Someone with Archery 2 and Fabrication 2 can make virtually limitless field point arrows from memory just from sticks and rocks, but I think anything demonstrably better is book-gated, yeah.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If you're up to it you can modify the recipes.json file and just set every recipe to automatically learnable. I don't really like the new book mechanics all that much so that's what I do.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

The King of Swag posted:

As far as I know, you now must have the books if you want to learn most recipes. From what I understand, the reasoning is that in real life, certain things are easy enough to make, that if you have a basic understanding of that field (cooking, electronics, etc.), then you would have a good idea of how to make them. Other things however you would never learn on your own, and thus need the recipes to make.

Then how did those people come up with those things in the first place? Sure as hell didn't read about them.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Spaceking posted:

Then how did those people come up with those things in the first place? Sure as hell didn't read about them.

I hope that was sarcasm.

Personally, I think it's fine for gameplay purposes and more loosely 'realism' that recipes like nuclear powered engines need to be learnt from books rather than invented. The developers are trying to find a balance between what you could reasonably figure out yourself and what the average person could never invent alone in an apocalyptic future. They might not get every choice of which can be learnt and which needs to be read correct, but in my gameplay experience it has made things more logical.

The real problem I would look at is how books/recipes can be acquired and alternate routes to find advanced crafting materials etc.
You can also still learn some recipes from gaining a high enough skill without a book.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spaceking posted:

I guess if you jacked your INT up to 20 your character could conceivably become a polymath on par with the God Emperor and singlehandedly master every known science and invent every known device.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Spaceking posted:

Centuries of continued refinement.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Man, yeah, the temperature effects seem a little over the top at the moment. I'm getting frostbite when fully clothed, sleeping under a pile of MORE clothes, in a bed, inside a house, the evening of day 2.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
So, goons. I hear all the time about how to best way to go is mobile doom fortress, etc. However, I'm a bit wary of cars and how they stop obeying the turn based nature of the game and go continuously. Yeah, its a car, I know, but it's made me prefer to just go on foot.

However, I'm willing to admit that all the tools and resources I have are too much a pain in the rear end to move from location to the next, so It's time for me to build one. I get that I need to have welders and a steel frame to start vehicle construction, but I've no idea what an efficient design would be like. Anyone have advice and suggestions on what to make and where to get the materials? (A steel frame is noticably difficult to find, unless I can somehow find everything to make one.)

I probably don't want the thing to move too fast, just for it to be mobile is all. I'm fine on skills and combat. (the melee style for blades has led my combat knife to taking out hordes on foot with nary a problem.)

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Maybe computers could be an alternative to learning via books, with the disadvantage being that they need to be powered but with the advantage that you could load up a laptop with a whole bunch of education software and learn a whole bunch of skills from one item. Maybe libraries could have some software lying around, and maybe books could be scanned or something with some library equipment. Schools would obviously have some of this stuff lying around, too.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If you can find an abandoned APC or something like that, just converting it into whatever you need is best. Going from scratch is for fun, not practicality.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Cardiovorax posted:

If you can find an abandoned APC or something like that, just converting it into whatever you need is best. Going from scratch is for fun, not practicality.

Mm. I've yet to find any military installations. Ideally, I just want something that I can fit my 500 pieces of tools, spare parts, forges, and materials. I suppose that'd be enough. Just add on what I need then? Simple enough... Guess I've got a bit more walking to do then. Stock up on canned food and water for the trip.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Drakenel posted:

So, goons. I hear all the time about how to best way to go is mobile doom fortress, etc. However, I'm a bit wary of cars and how they stop obeying the turn based nature of the game and go continuously. Yeah, its a car, I know, but it's made me prefer to just go on foot.

However, I'm willing to admit that all the tools and resources I have are too much a pain in the rear end to move from location to the next, so It's time for me to build one. I get that I need to have welders and a steel frame to start vehicle construction, but I've no idea what an efficient design would be like. Anyone have advice and suggestions on what to make and where to get the materials? (A steel frame is noticably difficult to find, unless I can somehow find everything to make one.)

I probably don't want the thing to move too fast, just for it to be mobile is all. I'm fine on skills and combat. (the melee style for blades has led my combat knife to taking out hordes on foot with nary a problem.)

You can find most of the parts you need in garages, but if you really want to get crazy, either fix up or entirely disassemble an existing car. My first real good stab at the game (Easy mode, enemy spawn rate 0), I lucked out and found a military humvee that only needed gas and batteries, and wound up extending the back end to hold all my crap.

If all you really want is something to haul junk, you could start with a shopping cart, office chair, or wheelbarrow, Grab it, and go. You can grab and haul anything up to about a motorcycle in size, though I haven't paid attention to see whether there's a speed penalty based on how much mass you're pulling. Keep an eye out for wreckage that consists of one large vehicle and a bigass square of stuff, the bigass square will have cargo carriers, the best thing for vehicle-based storage.

Otherwise, a foot crank will provide the easiest motive power to your stuffmobile, although this isn't viable if you're trying to haul an entire base's worth of gear and amenities around. Electric motors are weak and easy to use, although you're reliant on your supply of batteries or the number of solar panels you can stick to the car. Gas engines come in a wide range from dinky little things you get from taking apart a lawn mower up to giant V12s that'll send you flying across the landscape if you let them. Key point being "if you let them," most of my humvee driving was in the under-30-MPH range. In any case, they'll all charge your car batteries if you connect an alternator and leave them running. A V8 left idling overnight (Continually waking me up) didn't drain much gas and gave the batteries about 50% charge from near flat.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 25, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You can sometimes just find them standing around, but if that's all you need, just grab a random pickup truck. It's what I do most of the time, really. They've got space, the driver's cabin is competely enclosed and safe from animals so you can sleep in it and they don't use too much gas. I'd put a muffler on it and maybe a second gas tank, but otherwise they're good. I also like semis, but they're a bit unwieldy.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pickup trucks are your go-to to begin with, followed by humvees. If you find a semi-truck that's always fun, but cumbersome and does not come with much storage to begin with. Could be a good base for a project.

Generally speaking, look for bridges. It seems to me that they are always full of vehicles that just need fuel and batteries, rather than a complete overhaul like city cars which have had zombies aimlessly thrashing on them for a while. Anything you find outside a town is unlikely to need much maintenance but it's a crapshoot as to whether you actually find something - the point of bridges is to have a shitload of irritating cars in your way, though, so it's more likely you'll find something there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've generally found a small diesel jenny to be a viable means of electricity generation. Just get a wood frame, stick an alternator, engine, fuel tank, and controls on it (might need to make another frame) and set the whole thing going. You can make it with some duct tape and the parts from a motorbike but it will generate power quite easily, and a good bit of smoke too so might want to put it near a window. Add batteries to it to charge them and remove them to put them in other vehicles. I think batteries still hold charge when detached? So if you want a small electric vehicle but don't have enough solars to charge it promptly, running it off a diesel generator in your base can be quite practical.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

All good points, all I've found were hippie vans so far, but hilariously enough, I find a gas station pit stop that has a working RV. Zombies have torn through some of the outer frame but apparently it all still functions. I imagine controlling the thing is literally impossible though.

I'll keep an eye out for trucks though. It makes enough sense.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm having serious troubles getting started in the new builds. (I normally just cheat myself to whatever to work on bugfixes, but now I want to try my hand at balance, but holy poo poo everything is too hard :( ) What are your recommendations for what a survivor should do in the first few days? When is it acceptable (for you!) For a survivor to have a vehicle? I'm tweaking .json values and stuff to get this under way.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Dareon posted:

If all you really want is something to haul junk, you could start with a shopping cart, office chair, or wheelbarrow, Grab it, and go. You can grab and haul anything up to about a motorcycle in size, though I haven't paid attention to see whether there's a speed penalty based on how much mass you're pulling

Grab takes into account the weight of the object compared to your strength for how much/how fast you can move things. A loaded down shopping carts moves significantly slower than an empty one.
I haven't looked at the specific code for it so I don't know the exact formula but if you look at your moves you'll quickly identify just how slow/fast you are when grabbing certain objects.

e:

Turtlicious posted:

everything is too hard :(
What are your recommendations for what a survivor should do in the first few days? When is it acceptable (for you!) For a survivor to have a vehicle? I'm tweaking .json values and stuff to get this under way.

I play on 3.5x enemy spawn rates and everything else vanilla, for me it's an acceptable balance for the last year of releases. Overall I still think the challenges in the game are too easy and would like just more things that can mess with your character like an expanded weather/temperature/special events/hordes. I've been playing since the first windows build so I think I'm fairly competent but there's no doubt much better players than I.

Usually I'll fix up a nearby vehicle once I've collected my basic tools/clothing/weaponry and feel confident taking on bigger challenges (about a season?) and as time goes by probably convert a truck cab/RV into a full mobile base. I'd like to do more no vehicle nomad characters but the current crafting system is too punitive for that playstyle to be fun, although small bikes/shopping carts do make it possible.

Strumpie fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 25, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

When is it acceptable (for you!) For a survivor to have a vehicle?
As with everything in life, the answer is "as soon as you can steal one." Honestly, though, I preferred the old builds where finding working cars was substantially easier. They're not exactly making the game any easier, just more convenient. Convenient is good.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Wow, fall asleep in the car outside a deserted gas station, wake up and there's a cougar sitting on the hood all hostiled just staring at me. :stare:

So I get out and shoot it twice till dead. Found a fema camp on the map nearby, maybe they'll have something. Very thankful to have found that road map earlier.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

I'm having serious troubles getting started in the new builds. (I normally just cheat myself to whatever to work on bugfixes, but now I want to try my hand at balance, but holy poo poo everything is too hard :( ) What are your recommendations for what a survivor should do in the first few days? When is it acceptable (for you!) For a survivor to have a vehicle? I'm tweaking .json values and stuff to get this under way.

What kind of builds are you trying and what's killing you?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Ok, found a flatbed truck. Should do good. I've managed to repair all but some of the frame and windshield, but vehicle controls are broken. Would I be able to just pry one out with the wrench and hacksaw of another vehicle? I've got a couple gallon jugs full of gasoline to refill it. Battery is also low, but I'm not sure what else there is to do before I get it running. Anything else I should know before I haul it back home?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes, you can take any vehicle component off and stick it on any other, you need a welder to replace parts though (or gaffer tape), and some mechanics skill based on the complexity of the vehicle and what you're installing onto it.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, if you have the skill to manage the repair, yanking the controls out of one vehicle to stick in another is viable. Nearly every car you find will have either the wheels, the controls, the seats, or the gas tank and battery destroyed, among other miscellaneous damages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Everything is fixed now. There's enough gas stations around for me to go back and forth and fill the gas tank, but what do I need to recharge the battery?