Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sakarja posted:

From an interview that was posted earlier in this thread:

So because they had to get around a contractual issue by filming Chevy somewhere other than the set, people are assuming that means he was banned from the set? That's dumb, that doesn't mean he was banned from the set by Sony.

It doesn't follow that he wouldn't be allowed on the set, just that filming him on the set with the other actors might mean he'd end up in his old pay grade or would have to be credited for the whole season or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The exact words "banned from the set" have been used to describe the situation in an interview, I can't remember when. It's not an assumption. He's not allowed to come back there.

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 25, 2014

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

PostNouveau posted:

- Yahoo will release the episodes one-a-week rather than a Netflix-style dump

Thank God. I do not have the self-control needed to not watch them all at once.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

thexerox123 posted:

So because they had to get around a contractual issue by filming Chevy somewhere other than the set, people are assuming that means he was banned from the set? That's dumb, that doesn't mean he was banned from the set by Sony.

It doesn't follow that he wouldn't be allowed on the set, just that filming him on the set with the other actors might mean he'd end up in his old pay grade or would have to be credited for the whole season or something.

I can't remember anyone involved with the show using the exact words "banned from the set", and a quick search doesn't turn up anything of substance. However, a quote from another interview with Dan Harmon seems to support that interpretation:

quote:

But clearly whatever happened with him while you were away on the show was going preclude him coming back to the show in any meaningful form.

Dan Harmon: Whatever agreement he made with the suits precluded the possibility of him being on the set.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I can't see much difference between "the deal precluded the possibility of Chevy being on the set" and "the deal banned Chevy from the set." And I find it interesting that Dan Harmon mentions "separate stage" and "no other actors around" in the first interview. Why even bring that up if the financial side of it was the main issue for Sony? Either way, it seems like a moot point since Chris McKenna said Pierce isn't coming back.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

- Yahoo will release the episodes one-a-week rather than a Netflix-style dump

I like this better anyway, I blew thru all of S2 of Orange is the new black and was all :smith: after like a week of watching

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

El Tortuga posted:

Thank God. I do not have the self-control needed to not watch them all at once.

Agreed. I always gorge myself on Netflix originals over a weekend or so. I'd much rather an episode a week.

Edit: Also, the one-day dump doesn't allow for group viewing. I don't know if there's an official rule or anything, but I bet the Orange is the New Black thread is still using spoiler tags. You can't post on Facebook about the episode you just saw or go read the AV Club review because everyone is on a different time frame.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 25, 2014

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

PostNouveau posted:

Agreed. I always gorge myself on Netflix originals over a weekend or so. I'd much rather an episode a week.

Edit: Also, the one-day dump doesn't allow for group viewing. I don't know if there's an official rule or anything, but I bet the Orange is the New Black thread is still using spoiler tags. You can't post on Facebook about the episode you just saw or go read the AV Club review because everyone is on a different time frame.

Community isn't going to become a binge watchable show in its sixth season, so it makes sense to give each new episode room for individual promotion.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I didn't see it mentioned but the AV Club article mentioned that the new season won't premiere before Christmas.

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003
http://tvline.com/2014/07/25/community-season-6-donald-glover-returns-try-yahoo/

Interview at CC with Harmon:

quote:

“The first thing I want to do is get Donald Glover back,” he told Michael Ausiello Friday at TVLine’s Comic-Con video suite, “and I will do anything to make that happen.”

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Watching that video, he also talks about wanting to harken back to a Season 1 feel, and wanting to get outside on the campus more!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

thexerox123 posted:

Watching that video, he also talks about wanting to harken back to a Season 1 feel,

You mean funny?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

You mean funny?

No, he wants to try to make a whole season in the style of the schmitty episode.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I will defend the Schmitty episode until the day I die. In fact, I own only two episodes of Community in iTunes. One is the pilot, which was given out for free, and the other is, well, see for yourself:

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

Haha, says he wants to do a "Community-themed" episode. His interviews are always pretty entertaining, as he has a talent for self-deprecating humor. For a much more in-depth Harmon interview with a much better interviewer, check out the new Speakeasy. Paul F Tompkins and Harmon have some shared history, as they wrote together for the Sarah Silverman Program, before Dan got fired by Sarah (a topic they address in the interview).

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Irish Joe posted:

I will defend the Schmitty episode until the day I die. In fact, I own only two episodes of Community in iTunes. One is the pilot, which was given out for free, and the other is, well, see for yourself:

I just recently caught Dont trust the B in Apt 23 on netflix and was sad it only got 1 season. That show had some potential.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

swickles posted:

I just recently caught Dont trust the B in Apt 23 on netflix and was sad it only got 1 season. That show had some potential.

Actually Don't Trust the B has 2 seasons!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Stabitha posted:

Actually Don't Trust the B has 2 seasons!

Well, I wish it went on longer regardless.

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

Dino looks like he's probably a smelly guy.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

thexerox123 posted:

Watching that video, he also talks about wanting to harken back to a Season 1 feel, and wanting to get outside on the campus more!

I feel like he's said this before and failed at it spectacularly. At this point its stupid trying to recapture past glories as too much has changed. Now it's just about trying to make the best of a bad show.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I feel like he's said this before and failed at it spectacularly. At this point its stupid trying to recapture past glories as too much has changed. Now it's just about trying to make the best of a bad show.

So, you think that doing more outdoor campus scenes would be trying to recapture past glories?

:haw:

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 26, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's a fun contradiction because season 1 has absolutely no off-campus scenes.

Also PriorMarcus I know we're bros on a lot of things but I cannot be bros about the idea that Community is a bad show now

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

PriorMarcus posted:

You can stop watching at any time, nobody is holding your feet to this particular fire

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

You can stop watching at any time, nobody is holding your feet to this particular fire

But if he stopped watching shows he didn't like he'd have to stop posting entirely!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Bown posted:

Also PriorMarcus I know we're bros on a lot of things but I cannot be bros about the idea that Community is a bad show now

I feel like some episodes are amazing, especially last season there were a few stand out ones, but the overall experience, when viewed from a distance is bad. I'm happy watching the enjoying the episodes that really knock it out of the park, but following the season ending I always struggle to see what Harmon was going for, as I could in Seasons One and Two.

He has said before that he wanted to do less gimmick episodes and go back to the character beats of Season One and I've never felt he's been successful with it because he invariably gets distracted by other things.

Did last season have some really good episodes? Yes. Was the season as a whole good? No.

The things is, these characters now are so far removed from what they were, in ways that don't feel organic but instead forced that I don't care about them, I just watch now for funny scenes or interesting episodes. But I feel like those alone don't make a show 'good' and the heart of Community that once made it great is long gone.

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Well yeah, I've never been dumb enough to Toxx myself over it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Bown posted:

He said "get outside on the campus more", not "get outside of the campus more"

Season 1 & 2 had a lot of stuff filmed outside and on-location, compared to later seasons where it was all sets and soundtages. Wanting to do more stuff with them on the campus grounds is a nice idea, but if they're on the same budget as last season I don't know how that will pan out.

Maybe another episode filmed with a single-camera gimmick.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

He said "get outside on the campus more", not "get outside of the campus more"

Season 1 & 2 had a lot of stuff filmed outside and on-location, compared to later seasons where it was all sets and soundtages. Wanting to do more stuff with them on the campus grounds is a nice idea, but if they're on the same budget as last season I don't know how that will pan out.

Maybe another episode filmed with a single-camera gimmick.

Yeah, visually the show can improve a lot by looking bad at itself, and more location shooting would be amazing.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

PriorMarcus posted:

Well yeah, I've never been dumb enough to Toxx myself over it.

poo poo...owned.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRxaYlDxdKI

Didn't see this posted, if it was then uh shoot me or something, but Harmon was on Speakeasy with Paul F. Tompkins. Nothing regarding the new season or anything, but it's still an interesting interview, and who doesn't love PFT?

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

MrAristocrates posted:

I didn't see it mentioned but the AV Club article mentioned that the new season won't premiere before Christmas.

Has filming started?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Babygravy posted:

Has filming started?

Writing hasn't started.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

Crindee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRxaYlDxdKI

Didn't see this posted, if it was then uh shoot me or something, but Harmon was on Speakeasy with Paul F. Tompkins. Nothing regarding the new season or anything, but it's still an interesting interview, and who doesn't love PFT?

Bang, like 15 posts up, but it's all good, assuming your name is the throwaway AD G.O.B. quote that it makes me think of. The interview was good, and I loved that it was about 3x as long as the average Speakeasy interview, because Harmon is hella verbose.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Does Harmon say anything interesting in that interview? I'd sooner slit my wrists than sit through 30 minutes of PFT fake laughing at his own jokes.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

It's cool, watch it anyway.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
26 seconds before he started fake laughing at nothing. Sorry, bud, can't do it.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

That's fair enough, you have your other choice still.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

MrAristocrates posted:

Writing hasn't started.

Then I'm not really shocked about the no Community before Christmas thing =\

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Skunny Wundy posted:

Dino looks like he's probably a smelly guy.

Yeah, he uses some kind of crystal instead of deodorant.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Season 5 bloopers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQl1rILWQbw

That might seem fun and charming, but even the bloopers have drastically lowered in quality since the majestic heights of season 1 and furthermore

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That was pretty great. Shame it was so short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Link got taken down by Sony. I'll have to watch it on DVD later tonight...

• Locked thread