Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Batteries, amusingly.

You can refuel a battery like a gas tank by using batteries from your inventory.

You can also swap it for a charged battery from another car, but presumably if you have that you can just use the batteries you powered your welder with.

Also for a fun time, if you find an APC or Hummvee, try taking its .50 cal off the roof. Then try finding ammo for it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I... am not sure I want to waste my batteries on that. How much battery charges does it take?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drakenel posted:

I... am not sure I want to waste my batteries on that. How much battery charges does it take?

If you find an alternator, you can just leave the engine running for a while and the battery will charge

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Drakenel posted:

I don't know, but you should only need enough to start the motor, then run it for a while and the alternator will charge the battery. Really you should be able to rig a ripcord to it or something but I dunno.

If you are really short on batteries then find a car with a bit of charge (generally a busted electric) and put the battery from that in the new car.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Well gently caress, I found a half charged battery, but I took the old one out... and now it's not letting me install the new one? I'm so dumb at this, I'm sorry. :(

Edit: The hell? It's telling me I don't have the welder/duct tape, but I do have the charged welder. Are safety glasses not enough and if so, why was it letting me use it before? Just because I had duct tape at all and it bugged out?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Reload the welder, if it's empty. It eats batteries.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's the safety glasses. You specifically need a welding mask for welding. Not duct-taping, though.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

It's the safety glasses. You specifically need a welding mask for welding. Not duct-taping, though.

Yeah it was this. Ran all the way to the next town over since the town I started had no garage, found the welding goggles, realized that having duct tape meant you could use the welder without the mask. (The gently caress?) And now I have my very own moving flatbed truck. Thanks for the help, everyone. Time to drive it back to my mansion and load all my bullshit into it.

Edit: Apparently a MIGHTY SHRUB is enough to stop it dead. Ugh. this is going to take some getting used to.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Only at 30 kph or less. Don't worry, you get used to it fast.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Oh, and of course when I'm in the process of dumping my tons of crap into the truckbed, a pack of cougars attack. No, don't stop dropping things to defend yourself. Nearly die from head wounds before you stop and notice you're being attacked.

This game is so silly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Drakenel posted:

Yeah it was this. Ran all the way to the next town over since the town I started had no garage, found the welding goggles, realized that having duct tape meant you could use the welder without the mask. (The gently caress?)

It's a quirk of catacylsm's recipe system. Essentially the idea is that the recipe requires (powered welder AND welding goggles) OR (duct tape) but the game can't actually specify that due to the uneven number of requirements on the second half, so it has to be written (powered welder OR duct tape) AND (welding goggles OR duct tape). The duct tape is supposed to fill both requirements when it's used, but it can be used interchangeably

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 26, 2014

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Amusing, that.

Anyway, looking over it, I realize the trunk is open to the air. I don't know if acid rain is going to gently caress it up or not, but I'm considering what I need to cover it up.

The flatbed truck has no 'trunk door' so to speak, so while I hope it doesn't mean stuff will fly out the back when I start it up, I am considering my options. Will just installing roofs over the trunk work? Do I need to install trunk doors along the back end? If so, will just installing it over the back row of trunk spaces work or do I need to add another row of frames, panels, roofs and then the trunk doors to seal it from the elements?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It doesn't matter. Trunks are strictly speaking containers, so unless they changed that recently, nothing affects their contents.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
To tell the truth, what I find lacking the most from a game-play perspective, even more important than z-levels, is the ability to pack smaller vehicle in/onto larger ones, and the ability to tow vehicles. Even once you have a car, shopping carts, bicycles and other small vehicles, never lose their versatility, and it's actually a serious design flaw that I can't throw them into the back of a pickup and take them with me. That means that in every new location, I have to find a new equivalent, and modify it as needed.

The same really goes for towing; a heavily modified RV or Big Rig make for amazing mobile bases, but they aren't readily usable inside of towns, which requires you to find or fix a car or truck for every larger town you visit. Being able to tow a vehicle behind another is the solution, but I don't know if anyone is focusing on that.

Frankly, I feel this is a case of perfection is the enemy of good--or more accurately, good is the enemy of working. I know that both of those points have been discussed in the past, and I know that people didn't want them until they worked perfectly, but that just means they'll never get done unless someone devotes a ton of time to it. Ideally, something like towing would be hacked in that the towed vehicle would just temporarily be considered part of the towing vehicle; then you can work on keeping the system separated (i.e. The towing vehicle won't charge or share gas with the towed vehicle); then you can work on actually implementing a proper tow pivot and physics.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

It doesn't matter. Trunks are strictly speaking containers, so unless they changed that recently, nothing affects their contents.

Good to know, but I put roofs over them anyway because why not.

Feels nice. Took my mobile base past two towns into a new one. Park outside the limits and go on foot in search of worthwhile loot. Maybe once I finish my last couple of forging items I'll look for more interesting locations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The King of Swag posted:

To tell the truth, what I find lacking the most from a game-play perspective, even more important than z-levels, is the ability to pack smaller vehicle in/onto larger ones, and the ability to tow vehicles. Even once you have a car, shopping carts, bicycles and other small vehicles, never lose their versatility, and it's actually a serious design flaw that I can't throw them into the back of a pickup and take them with me. That means that in every new location, I have to find a new equivalent, and modify it as needed.

Yeah, this is A Thing that bothers me, too. You can always dismantle your shopping cart or use a folding bicycle (I actually had a folding bicycle in my humvee's trunk), but those feel like workarounds, not solutions.

e:

OwlFancier posted:

It's a quirk of catacylsm's recipe system. Essentially the idea is that the recipe requires (powered welder AND welding goggles) OR (duct tape) but the game can't actually specify that due to the uneven number of requirements on the second half, so it has to be written (powered welder OR duct tape) AND (welding goggles OR duct tape). The duct tape is supposed to fill both requirements when it's used, but it can be used interchangeably

I didn't know that, but now I have the mental image of a dude welding with a strip of duct tape over his eyes.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 26, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You laugh but I think there is a pretty strange recipe for making welding goggles, I think you basically spraypaint a pair of safety goggles.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
Cataclysm in general has a problem with maintenance.

After only a little play time and set up, you can use a lot of things practically indefinitely with little work. Maintaining a vehicle should be quite hard requiring lots of resources to keep it in (good) working condition. Similar to weapon/clothing degradation so you can't just stick them on and be done with it.

Finding a balance between constant grind and difficulty is usually the stumbling block but some limits on vehicles once you have them operational would add to the game rather than detract.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Even if you did simulate random wear on the vehicle over time, it wouldn't be much more of a problem than repairing the damage after a roadkill session unless a car was practically in danger of shaking itself to pieces the same day you got it running. A welder charging off your car's battery (Or just a straight-up vehicle welding rig) is one of the staples for a killdozer.

If you're using a vehicle as a bludgeon, you seem to get wear in places that don't strictly correspond to where the zombies/bushes have been hitting, I recall having to repair the roof near the back of the car after driving straight through a park full of zombie kids.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.
In my game I rebalanced things by making collisions just do serious damage to the vehicle so that you could only ram a few zombies before you lost tires or damaged the engine. It makes vehicles much less effective as a weapon but I find weaving through zombie hordes shooting guns or using melee from the bike much more fun than just plowing through hundreds, and it created some dynamic situations where I would have to rescue my stuff from a wrecked vehicle in the middle of a zombie horde. It also made spikes and blades more useful since they would absorb the brunt of the impact damage for a few hits.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Been a good long while since the last time I tried this, what's the best version to run right now? Is goonDDA still a thing/up to date, or is the stable version or the current nightly the best choice?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Unless it's been fixed since experimental 1817, the experimentals have about a 50-50 chance of crashing whenever you go to craft something. Which is manageable if you remember to bind the quicksave key. They do, however, have a nice selection of new stuff. It's really your call whether you mind occasional crashes, balance issues, and bugs.

Although that does raise my own question for anyone following development more closely: Is there any roadmap to the next stable release? Any projected date for a freeze on new features and just a concerted bugfixing push? Or is the question laughable, and the project doesn't have nearly that level of oversight? I have looked at the repository? board? Whatever you call the thing with pull requests, and I can't glean much useful information from it.

GoonDDA has died a couple deaths, to judge by discussion.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dareon posted:

Although that does raise my own question for anyone following development more closely: Is there any roadmap to the next stable release? Any projected date for a freeze on new features and just a concerted bugfixing push?

[quote author=Kevin Granade link=topic=5877.msg158178#msg158178 date=1404919081]
We're burning down the the list of bugs, I'd estimate 3-4 weeks from now.
[/quote]

Official boards are at http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/

acidia
Oct 31, 2012
In github, hit the exclamation mark in a circle on the right. This more or less brings up activity (both code contributions and bugs/suggestions) on the repository. On the top left-ish you'll see a tab called milestones that will bring up the work needed to move to 0.B, the next stable.
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues?milestone=8&state=open
I know they were hoping to get a new stable this month but there are a lot of projects that are being completed in sections so I'm not sure there is a good cut-off. CIB's big z-level push is happening this week so I wouldn't expect to see any sort of freeze till next week at the earliest. In the mean time I'm not sure if kevin wanted to complete his aiming system rewrite for the new stable. The rewrites to parts of the NPC code are adding new content but either creating new issues or making people realize how poor their state was previously.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Strumpie posted:

Cataclysm in general has a problem with maintenance.

After only a little play time and set up, you can use a lot of things practically indefinitely with little work. Maintaining a vehicle should be quite hard requiring lots of resources to keep it in (good) working condition. Similar to weapon/clothing degradation so you can't just stick them on and be done with it.

Finding a balance between constant grind and difficulty is usually the stumbling block but some limits on vehicles once you have them operational would add to the game rather than detract.
It absolutely shouldn't. Keeping your vehicle repaired even if you only go offroad occasionally is already a huge pain in the rear end. Making it even worse would pretty much turn me off from even trying.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

It absolutely shouldn't. Keeping your vehicle repaired even if you only go offroad occasionally is already a huge pain in the rear end. Making it even worse would pretty much turn me off from even trying.

I'm not suggesting cars spontaneously explode every 5 minutes, but flat tires/temperamental engines/wonky steering/slow brakes could add a little character to vehicles without breaking them. There's a difference between running and 'perfect'.

As for vehicles in general, once you have a vehicle welding rig, which isn't hard to get, vehicles run forever with no maintenance other than fuel, which is also not hard to get.
Maybe because I don't make a habit of crashing mine, but they are not hard to keep in perfect condition. The times I do wilfully ram things, losing a board/headlight or two is very easily repaired, pretty much any abandoned vehicle is a goldmine.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Having to manually repair or replace every stupid little thing that breaks is already far away from no maintenance. It really doesn't need more than that. "More work" doesn't equal "more fun."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Stuff like wobbly steering from damage would be potentially interesting, as could be trouble starting the car or engine cutouts, but just having to throw parts at it to get it working would be tedious.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
So you can hack off a zombies arms and have you follow you around as an NPC character packmule now. :psyduck:

Some guy on the Cataclysm forums posted:

Does it have to be called a Zlave? Was this made by the gimp suit guy?
:lol:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Hey, I just added a minireactor to my humvee of death because I found it in a bank safe. What does it actually do? I've fed it with plutonium and assumed it would charge up my car's battery, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Is it for nuclear turrets or something?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

The King of Swag posted:

The same really goes for towing; a heavily modified RV or Big Rig make for amazing mobile bases, but they aren't readily usable inside of towns, which requires you to find or fix a car or truck for every larger town you visit. Being able to tow a vehicle behind another is the solution, but I don't know if anyone is focusing on that.

Frankly, I feel this is a case of perfection is the enemy of good--or more accurately, good is the enemy of working. I know that both of those points have been discussed in the past, and I know that people didn't want them until they worked perfectly, but that just means they'll never get done unless someone devotes a ton of time to it. Ideally, something like towing would be hacked in that the towed vehicle would just temporarily be considered part of the towing vehicle; then you can work on keeping the system separated (i.e. The towing vehicle won't charge or share gas with the towed vehicle); then you can work on actually implementing a proper tow pivot and physics.

Easiest solution is to just add a vehicle tile you can use to load vehicles in, or have box tiles perform that duty if they don't have items in them. Then it's just a check to see if the vehicle you want to load has equal or lesser dimensions. That'll solve most things up to making a tow truck flat bed you pull a car around with. Trailers can come next, since they'll be a lot harder, but the functionality people want will be in and they can wait. I've always wanted to be able to have an ATV in the back of a pickup.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

scalded schlong posted:

Hey, I just added a minireactor to my humvee of death because I found it in a bank safe. What does it actually do? I've fed it with plutonium and assumed it would charge up my car's battery, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Is it for nuclear turrets or something?
I've never actually used one, but I assume it's a power source for electric engines, like solar panels. Try putting some big storage batteries in, maybe?

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

scalded schlong posted:

It powers electric engines.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AceRimmer posted:

So you can hack off a zombies arms and have you follow you around as an NPC character packmule now. :psyduck:

:lol:

It's weird, hopefully they change the name or something.

(I'm "some guy on the forums")

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
God damnit why the gently caress doesn't dropping multiple things get interrupted by taking damage? My character just sat there getting killed by a police bot while I stuffed things in my car.

Time to just give myself more points at character creation and cheat my way back to where I was.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
A minireactor should charge batteries really fast. The Bubble Car only has a small storage battery and minireactor, and when I turned the reactor off (Plutonium is rare, I shouldn't waste it! :downs:), the car died after going like five tiles. Did you remember to turn it on?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

UGH...

Thread is here if you want to weight in.

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=7286.15

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

UGH...

Thread is here if you want to weight in.

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=7286.15

What's your problem?

They just want to cut a persons arms off, call them a slave and tie a pretty leash with a jingly bell on them.
Not creepy or fetishistic at all. :newfap:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Strumpie posted:

What's your problem?

They just want to cut a persons arms off, call them a slave and tie a pretty leash with a jingly bell on them.

Yeah, good, because I honestly feel like the weird one on the forums sometimes, because it's all either bad english, or people being weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Strumpie posted:

What's your problem?

Mr 'Can I have a jingly chain' is definitively setting off some warning-bells...
But unless I'm being hopelessly naive in trusting Granade, it seems he is simply going for 'realism' (as usual)

Heck, he's not even the first to have the idea - it feels like one in five zombie-related stories will have at least one zombie end up captured and rendered harmless in one way or another.
Doctor Who did it, for one (With a robot rather than a zombie, yes, but the basic idea is still there) - and while I've gathered that it's not the most popular show around here, it's not generally accused of having BDSM symbolism.

Mind you, it's still freaky, I'm still creeped out by the knowledge that some people will find it hot...
But that just makes me lose faith in humanity, Granade's not got anything to do with that.

And besides, at least this is game-changing new content!
It might be creepy and frankly rather disgusting new content, but it's not more clothes!