Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Decided to finally try my hand at no-knead bread again, fresh bread rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Tannin posted:

Decided to finally try my hand at no-knead bread again, fresh bread rocks.

That looks good :hfive:

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Can anyone post a no-knee recipe? The OP's link is to an archived thread.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

kim jong-illin posted:

Can anyone post a no-knee recipe? The OP's link is to an archived thread.

There are a few ways you can do no-knead bread. There are some similarities: they tend to be rather wet, and they benefit greatly from a preferment, even if it's as simple as tossing a soaked chunk of old bread in the dough. I favor the long-rise method as popularized by Jim Lahey, in which you use minimal amounts of yeast in a wet dough and let it rise at room temp for long periods: 12-18 hours, generally; more in some cases. A shorter rise with a long retarded rise (in the fridge) with a higher yeast content is also a popular method, and tends to work better for sandwich loaves. Sample formulas follow:

Basic No-Knead Sandwich Bread
100% or 433 gm bread flour
81.75% or 354 gm or 1 1/2 cup water
2.54% or 7 gm or 3/4 tbsp salt
0.92% or 4 gm or 1 tsp yeast (reduce if using a strong preferment)
Total Bulk: 185.21%
Yield: 1 loaf

Basic No-Knead Crusty Bread
100% or 420 gm bread flour
84.28% or 354 gm or 1 1/2 cup water
2.14% or 5 gm or 1 1/4 tsp salt
0.47% or 2 gm or 1/4~1/2 tsp yeast (optional if using a strong preferment)
Total Bulk: 186.99%
Yield: 1 boule or batard

Technique is fairly similar: mix dry ingredients until well mixed, add water and mix with the handle of a wooden spoon or a dough whisk until all flour is absorbed and a shaggy dough is formed. Rise at room temperature. Place into refrigerator for a retarded rise - the longer, the better. Deal with the wet, messy, sticky dough and somehow form it into roughly the shape you want. Curse loudly. A bench scraper is just about essential for this task - I prefer this one. Place into dutch oven or loaf pan and bake at 400-425 (for crustier loaves) or 350-375 (for softer loaves) until done. Internal temperature should be 200-210; I use my waste heat by turning off the oven as it crests 200, then leave the oven door cracked for 10 minutes or so, until it reaches 210. This also gives you a nice warm environment for your next batch of bread!

These two recipes are a great way to show off the difference a few subtle changes can make; slightly more water and a longer rising time with less leaven will yield a crustier, looser-crumbed loaf every time. It's not night and day, but the two recipes yield noticeably different results.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 1, 2014

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

kim jong-illin posted:

Can anyone post a no-knee recipe?

I hear Douglas Bader did a good one.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Whipped something up in under two hours; thought of this thread. Just general purpose flour, water, instant yeast, a gram of sugar, a gram of salt.

I've got a question for you all, one I might have asked before, but I can't remember.

Bread is a bit chewy. I have:

a) kneaded too much
b) not kneaded enough
c) proved too long
d) proved too short
e) dough too wet
f) dough too dry
g) something something baking temperature
h) something else

Is it (a) as I suspect?

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
Yeah, it's probably too much kneading.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Tyrone Biggums posted:

Yeah, it's probably too much kneading.
It seems it's a lot easier to accidentally do that with a wetter dough.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
I had the same problem with the baguettes I made last weekend. I've stopped kneading super-wet dough altogether after that!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You're supposed to touch no-knead dough as little as possible.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

You're supposed to touch no-knead dough as little as possible.
I didn't start out intending to do no knead, though :v:

I just didn't add enough flour initially. All the "kneading" was trying to get the sticky mess off my hands so I could add a bit more.

D-Rider
Dec 18, 2009
Hello, fellow bakers. I loving hate high hydration dough!

Well, hate is a strong word, but I definitely cannot shape this stuff. I'm trying do what Forkish says in "Flour Water Salt Yeast": portion the dough, put it on a lightly floured countertop, fold it in on itself till you get a rough boule, then drag it across an unfloured work surface to build up tension. I tend to lose the plot around that second step.

This stuff is sticky. There's no folding in because it either adheres to the counter or adheres to my plastic scraper. I managed to wrangle it into a slightly round shape, but there's a definite lack of tension in the dough. I'm afraid these loaves are gonna be pancakes when I go check on them in a little bit.

Anyone have any advice on how to shape this glue? I was using 80% hydration.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms
I'm looking to make my own breads for at least a week. What are the ingredients that you would always want on hand for baking your breads? I have bleached AP flour and bread flour. Should I get unbleached AP and whole wheat? Are there others that you would always want on hand? As far as making loaves for sandwich bread is there a recommended material? Ive seen metal, nonstick and glass. I have a baking steel on the way cooking non-loaves and pizza. Should I have any other equipment for baking loaves besides a baking steel and a loaf pan?

I guess what I'm asking is if you somehow lost every piece of baking equipment and all your ingredients what would be on your must have list?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Whole rye flour for feeding my starter (and for some breads), generic type 405 or 550 wheat flour (roughly equivalent to unbleached AP - I don't think bleached flour is even legal here), salt, mustard seeds, coriander, fennel, caraway. For bread I don't really use any equipment other than baking paper on a plain sheet, but I don't usually go for very wet rectanguloaves like you'd do for sandwich bread either.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
For learning how to make bread, all you need is all purpose flour, whole wheat flour if you want to make whole wheat bread, water, salt, and yeast. Later on you can worry about fancier stuff like sourdough. I've never made sandwich loaves in anything other than metal but I can't imagine nonstick or glass would be a problem. In terms of other equipment you can bake normal non-sandwich bread on anything that can go in the oven. Also if you have a dutch oven you can make no-knead bread.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I think making bread might be the hardest thing I've ever tried to do. I have no idea why but I just can't knead bread into anything that comes out like what I would get at a bakery or pictured in the OP at all.

I bought the book that a guy who runs a local bakery wrote which has good reviews on amazon (and his bread is amazing) and followed the recipe while measuring my ingredients to the gram and never was able to get the dough to stop being too sticky to knead on the counter. It would either just stick to my hands or stick to the counter and every time that I had to pull it off one or the other I felt like I was like just kinda ruining whatever smooth consistency the dough had. I probably tried to knead that poo poo for an hour and it never resembled anything like a smooth dough ball, just a sticky mess. In the book he says not to add more flour and that it will become less sticky as you knead it but that never happened for me.

Anyone have any videos or anything I should watch? I've tried to make bread or pizza so many times now and it always just ends up garbage and I have no idea why.

By the way in case anyone was gonna ask this is the book whose recipe I tried to use this past time: http://www.amazon.com/Passion-Bread-Lessons-Master-Baker/dp/031620062X

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I'm sure as hell no expert but I had the exact same issue, and I dreaded making bread because it was bad enough on my hands, when it hit the counter it was like some barnacle blob that had to be fought off with flour... so much flour...

This helped me a ton though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOjSp5_YiF0
That's fairly high hydration, higher than I was doing anyway, and he basically uses next to no surface flour at all - just an occasional dusting after kneading. I guess there are three main points to it
  • The way you handle it, with your fingers
  • The fact you don't worry about anything sticking to your hands, it'll come off
  • The actual working method, which is more about gravity than pushing your hands into the blob

There's definitely a knack to handling stuff, a bit like how you might gently guide a person without pulling or pushing them. You touch the dough, but it doesn't really stick to you, and if it does you just kinda gently move your hand away. It's really hard to describe, it almost feels like a state of mind more than anything. Just try for the light touch when you're in contact with it.

I've had pretty good results from it so far and it definitely gives me the confidence to try higher hydrations later, so it's definitely worth a shot. All I can say is that it feels like this is what making bread is meant to be like, easy and fairly clean instead of a nightmare. Maybe I just suck and need a better general technique, but this is helping a lot for now

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009

Loanarn posted:

I guess what I'm asking is if you somehow lost every piece of baking equipment and all your ingredients what would be on your must have list?

Must have ingredients would simply be a high quality bread flour; good, clean water; kosher salt; a nice low-middle quality olive oil, and instant yeast. When there's so little going into a loaf, cheaping out on something like the flour will come through in the finished product. King Arthur flour is a solid national brand to start with. If you want to step it up from there, you could look for artisan millers sourcing heirloom wheat varieties. The other major component, water, is also important. If your tap water is hard or heavily chlorinated, invest in a filter or buy filtered water from the grocery for your bread making.

For hardware I'd want metal mixing bowl(s), bench scraper, bowl scraper, scale, flax linen cloths, a lame, baking sheets, and a cooling rack.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

81.75% or 354 gm or 1 1/2 cup water

[...]

84.28% or 354 gm or 1 5/8 cup water

Something's off here.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Stefan Prodan posted:

I think making bread might be the hardest thing I've ever tried to do. I have no idea why but I just can't knead bread into anything that comes out like what I would get at a bakery or pictured in the OP at all.

I bought the book that a guy who runs a local bakery wrote which has good reviews on amazon (and his bread is amazing) and followed the recipe while measuring my ingredients to the gram and never was able to get the dough to stop being too sticky to knead on the counter. It would either just stick to my hands or stick to the counter and every time that I had to pull it off one or the other I felt like I was like just kinda ruining whatever smooth consistency the dough had.
Regarding this, flour does have different qualities, I think things like protein amount will determine how "wet" a dough will feel. So you could have two bread flours that end up with different products. It does have to do with how well kneaded the dough is, as well. Every wet dough i've made, I've done in a stand mixer, and it sometimes will stick to the sides of the bowl when I am first kneading, but after a while it will peel off. The more you knead it, the more cohesive a mass of dough will get. I think the autolyse step helps with that as well.

I've never been able to do what Forkish says in the book Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast , that was mentioned in an earlier post, for what it's worth.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.
Thanks to this thread, I made the no-knead bread recipe of Jim Lahey. It was awesome.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Sjurygg posted:

Something's off here.

How so?

354/433=.8175
354/420=.8428

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You got different cup measures weighing the same

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

baka kaba posted:

You got different cup measures weighing the same

Oh, whoops. I was just roughly converting to cup measures, and slipped up. :v:

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Has anyone tried handling 100% hydration dough? I tried a recipe using Öland wheat that called for it, and the dough ended up windowpaning nicely, but making loaves out of it was a headache - so sticky! Which is understandable, but are there any tricks to making it not stick to the countertop and spatula and baking spade and everything else? Beside just covering everything in a thick layer of flour.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Nibblet posted:

Thanks to this thread, I made the no-knead bread recipe of Jim Lahey. It was awesome.

That looks just about perfect. Did you use a dutch oven?

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

That looks just about perfect. Did you use a dutch oven?

Thanks! It was my first attempt so I'm pretty proud of it. I did use a dutch oven and I preheated my oven to 500 for about half an hour. I think I'll try to lower the temp though cause the crust came out pretty tough.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Bobfly posted:

Has anyone tried handling 100% hydration dough? I tried a recipe using Öland wheat that called for it, and the dough ended up windowpaning nicely, but making loaves out of it was a headache - so sticky! Which is understandable, but are there any tricks to making it not stick to the countertop and spatula and baking spade and everything else? Beside just covering everything in a thick layer of flour.

From what I've seen, you can use some olive oil or any other oil instead of flour on surfaces. I've also found that having wet hands prevents dough sticking to my hands.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

I made a thing :3:

It's the first baking project I've done that I didn't gently caress up somehow.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Those look delicious.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Daeren posted:

I made a thing :3:

It's the first baking project I've done that I didn't gently caress up somehow.

Burger buns?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Bob Morales posted:

Burger buns?

Oh man homemade burger buns are the best

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Pretzel burger buns :eng101:

Went off this recipe. They turned out pretty great, but man, there's a world of difference between eating one out of the oven and eating one after a day covered on the counter.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Daeren posted:

Pretzel burger buns :eng101:

Went off this recipe. They turned out pretty great, but man, there's a world of difference between eating one out of the oven and eating one after a day covered on the counter.

That's the beauty of home baking. Eating things still warm. One of life's great simple pleasures.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Can anyone recommend a tried and true recipe for a sourdough boule? There are so many variations on the internet and I'm planning on getting a really good starter I'd like to try out.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

This is the one I use with good results. It's a take on Chad Robertson's Tartine recipe, but with most of the kinks worked out.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving

Thanks for posting this, i made baguettes last night trying out a really high hydration and they were amazing. I also was super careful with the dough so as to keep lots of air in it.

I'll try to get a photo tonight before i eat it all...

5MinuteButtermilk
Mar 5, 2014
Made my first ever no knead bread today. It was much better than I was expecting, to be honest.

For the curious, I used this recipe, though I skipped the step with the water and I used half bread flour, half all purpose.

UnhealthyJoe
Aug 9, 2012
After reading many posts on this thread, it makes me want to try my hand at making bread again.

The problem I had before which I have attributed to bad oven / no humidity is a bad crust. Can't stand it and it is not worth my time making it.

Since so many people have had luck with dutch ovens, I wanted to try it.

Any recommendations for a dutch oven? I thinking of going enamel (for obvious reasons) but not sure on what size.

Also - anyone have luck making their own pita bread? mine comes out good but it doesn't "puff" up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

UnhealthyJoe posted:

Also - anyone have luck making their own pita bread? mine comes out good but it doesn't "puff" up.

Wetter dough and a hotter oven