Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

SFH1989 posted:

I really like the 195/60R15 Continental Extreme Winter Contacts I have for my (non ST) Fiesta. They work great, especially after I rigged up a way to turn off traction control. Plus they kind of match the DWS' I have for the rest of the year.

DWS for the months when there's less than 1-2" of accumilation
Winter Extreme for the months where it's likely to snow alot and stay on the ground for more than an hour.

The Winter Extremes match up almost exactly to the Blizzaks for about 75% of the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump
Jan 19, 2006

SFH1989 posted:

Basically T/C doesn't help you in any decent accumulation of snow. This is because it only lets your wheels spin very slowly but snow tires are designed to work with wheel spin. The worst was an unplowed hill that took me 45min to get up that should have taken two.
This has always confused me because my BMW ('04 e46 diesel, with winter tyres) always performed considerably better in the snow with traction control on. You could basically drive like a complete idiot (to an extent) and it would unfuck itself.

I guess perhaps BMW's is more lenient than some others? Or is it just when you are genuinely stuck that that allowing the wheels to spin helps?

The only other TC's I've experienced has been in FWD hire cars (vauxhall and fords) in the wet, and they did seem much more violent and intrusive.

Still, gently caress traction control systems without an off button.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

veedubfreak posted:

DWS for the months when there's less than 1-2" of accumilation
Winter Extreme for the months where it's likely to snow alot and stay on the ground for more than an hour.

The Winter Extremes match up almost exactly to the Blizzaks for about 75% of the price.

I've found the General Tire Altimax winter tires to be excellent as well. They do as well as the Blizzaks with the downside being some fairly noticeable road noise. Cheap though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I thought winter tires were designed to clean themselves of snow by flexing under the weight of the car, not by flinging it off using wheelspin.

In my experience, once the wheels start spinning freely, you're done for. Slow and steady and smooth wins the race. Wheelspin when setting off at intersections creates dangerous polished ice surfaces, the exact opposite of what you want for traction.

And whenever I've driven in snow in my T/C- and ESP-less FWD car on winter tires, everything goes smoothly if I take it ease. The second I give it too much throttle, it just spins the tires and plows straight ahead.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Never had any issues with the TC on my Golf. Same thing happens, if I start to spin em, gotta stop and start over.

I do enjoy watching people polish the ice trying to go up a 1% grade with lovely tires though.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

KozmoNaut posted:

I thought winter tires were designed to clean themselves of snow by flexing under the weight of the car, not by flinging it off using wheelspin.

I'd really like a definitive answer on this, I wasn't aware that there was a specific way to drive in fresh snow/ice/slush mix other than extremely slow.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Never had any issues with the TC on my Golf. Same thing happens, if I start to spin em, gotta stop and start over.

I do enjoy watching people polish the ice trying to go up a 1% grade with lovely tires though.

My problem was the T/C cutting the throttle and limiting the engine to 1500rpm causing me to lose all momentum. Then once I was stopped it was very difficult to get going up the hill again since the tires couldn't spin and dig in.

On flat ground or slight hills the T/C is fine. I'll still drive with it off because, lets face it, having driving aids turned off in the snow is a lot more fun.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I'd really like a definitive answer on this, I wasn't aware that there was a specific way to drive in fresh snow/ice/slush mix other than extremely slow.

You can drive too slow in the snow. You just have to use you best judgement for speed, leave a lot of following distance, and remember you car will only do one thing at a time (stop, steer, or accelerate). Also turn your lights on, I really wish cops would ticket for this and cleaning snow off.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Laranzu posted:

There is a TSB 13-9-7

Mine almost loses it and stalls in hot weather while dropping to idle, but no cel yet to qualify.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-discussions/10830-tsb-13-9-7-stalling-jumping-idle.html

That was it. Took a week for an appointment and a whole day to fix, but I got it back now at least.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

veedubfreak posted:

On my A3 I've had cases with really wet snow and all-season tires where the TC shuts down all attempts to turn the wheels. It allows essentially no wheelspin. Amusingly the dash is constructed to such tight tolerances that in such cold conditions it will sometimes shrink enough to jam the TC on/off button.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

On my A3 I've had cases with really wet snow and all-season tires where the TC shuts down all attempts to turn the wheels. It allows essentially no wheelspin. Amusingly the dash is constructed to such tight tolerances that in such cold conditions it will sometimes shrink enough to jam the TC on/off button.

My A3 also has the super nanny TC system. It aggravated me enough last winter that part of my morning startup routine was to stab the TC off button so I could actually make it out of my driveway.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The Veloster's TC is either really good or really primitive. It lets the wheels slip quite a bit and doesn't step in unless you have one wheel going significantly faster than the other. In snow it's actually not too bad as it doesn't do that whole "no wheel slip for you!" That the nannying ones do.

In other hatchback news, another ridiculous haul made possible because of the hatch

Gotta love hatchback utility.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Bajaha posted:

Speaking of which, your picture reminds me of focus forum thread to show off how much stuff they could fit in their hatches. But I don't remember which forum it was on and googling isn't finding me the thread. :(

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Bajaha posted:

The Veloster's TC is either really good or really primitive. It lets the wheels slip quite a bit and doesn't step in unless you have one wheel going significantly faster than the other. In snow it's actually not too bad as it doesn't do that whole "no wheel slip for you!" That the nannying ones do.

In other hatchback news, another ridiculous haul made possible because of the hatch

That's less hatchback and more hatchtop

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Snowdens Secret posted:

That's less hatchback and more hatchtop

Liftback :eng101:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

stump posted:

This has always confused me because my BMW ('04 e46 diesel, with winter tyres) always performed considerably better in the snow with traction control on. You could basically drive like a complete idiot (to an extent) and it would unfuck itself.

I guess perhaps BMW's is more lenient than some others? Or is it just when you are genuinely stuck that that allowing the wheels to spin helps?

The only other TC's I've experienced has been in FWD hire cars (vauxhall and fords) in the wet, and they did seem much more violent and intrusive.

Still, gently caress traction control systems without an off button.

The ASC in my Mini S never kicked in until there was snow on the ground, then it sucked. I ended up just always turning it off because any time I started moving and got any wheel spin it would just cut the throttle on me. It also understeered a lot in the snow, and despite ebrake slides being fun I didn't find it to be all that great at winter driving. Amusingly enough my S2000 with zero traction control was much easier and better to drive in snow, and I only had all seasons last winter

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bajaha posted:

This is how the tc on my Golf works. If I stand on the throttle I can polish the ice, but it seems to be really good at giving just enough wheel spin for acceleration. I mostly bought full winter tires for stopping purposes. Out here people are complete shitheads when it snows and will haul rear end and cut in front of you just like it was dry outside. Plus my car seems to have a pretty heavy rear bias on the brakes and if I let the ABS do what it wants, the car slowly gets sideways while braking if you don't actually pay attention.

Can't wait til the new R comes out. Looking forward to finding a parking lot after a fresh snow and disabling the nanny and getting stupid.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Bajaha posted:

How many tires is that? I assume you have the back seats laying down?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Gunktacular posted:

How many tires is that? I assume you have the back seats laying down?
Yup, seat backs down, 8 tires, 245/45R17 and 215/60R17 plus a ridiculous amount of shopping purchases. Was a bit of a squeeze.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I hope this thread stays alive because hot hatches are the best type of car.

Not too sure if these count has 'hot' but they are at least warm hatches. Pretty run of the mill but as I've just done washing them I thought you North Americans might get a kick out of them.

The black one is my father's car - a 2006 Japanese import Fiesta ST and the grey one is my mother's - a 2007 Swift Sport

Very basic but functional interiors in both cases

Despite being quite close in size and concept the cars actually feel quite different to drive. The Fiesta feels like a much bigger car, everything feels heavier and there is a bunch more torque everywhere in the rev range. The Swift on the other hand feels more like a go cart, much better steering and gear change and the brakes are quite excellent (stops hilariously quickly) but on the flip side it feels comparatively gutless, is really short geared in 5th and the interior is made out of very lightweight plastics. On the other hand the paint on the Ford is about as hard as soft cheese (I realise black is always difficult to look after and shows damage easily but that doesn't account for just how easily the drat thing picks up scratches and stone chips) and the wheel centre caps just will not stay in place (which is why the remaining two are in the shed rather than on the car).

I'm actually not sure which one I prefer to drive - the Ford is definitely quicker in a straight line and quieter but the Suzuki is just so much fun.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
This is the first time I have taken a good look at an overseas FiST. What strikes me the most (besides being 2 door) is how cheap they made the interior look and how 'short' the dash is in comparison. Do any of them come with the Sony system or MFT? Is a 6-speed at least an option?

They both look sharp but if we were going on looks alone, I think I like the Swift a little better.

Thanks for posting them

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

First off, it's always greener on the other side and those two look like they're qualified as hot hatches, definitely look cool.

And keep in the mind the FiST posted is an 06, so older than Ford's latest refreshes for designs and interiors. NA only got the ST trims on the newest gens, right? Haven't really heard much about performance models before what we know and love as the FiST and FoST. SVT versions maybe, but they were rare from what I recall.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NA only got the fiesta period with the newest gen.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
You are right, I somehow missed the part about it being an 06. I it wasn't more than a few years old and didn't even realize that they had been making turbo Fiesta's anywhere that long ago. I also didn't know the the 'ST' badge was used before '12, I thought 'SVT' was Ford's performance badge at that time.

For 06 that looks about right then.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Dr.Caligari posted:

You are right, I somehow missed the part about it being an 06. I it wasn't more than a few years old and didn't even realize that they had been making turbo Fiesta's anywhere that long ago. I also didn't know the the 'ST' badge was used before '12, I thought 'SVT' was Ford's performance badge at that time.

For 06 that looks about right then.

Not even turbo, it's just an N/A 2l Duratec. Goes pretty well in a lightweight car though.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

The MK6 Fiesta was launched all the way back in 2002 too, although that is a facelift one. I always thought they aged very well.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
While it's not the hottest hatch in the world, my dealership recently got a 2015 Forte5 SX with the 6 speed manual in stock. I took it for a spin today and its defintely a car with some fun personality. Makes all the right turbo noises from its 201hp 1.6l turbo I4 (same motor in the veloster turbo) and it looks real sharp with the 18" wheels, black accents and dual exhaust.

If I hadn't just got my Optima SX-T in December it would definitley be a serious consideration. I miss having a wagon/hatch/liftback, trunks suck.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

kill me now posted:

While it's not the hottest hatch in the world, my dealership recently got a 2015 Forte5 SX with the 6 speed manual in stock. I took it for a spin today and its defintely a car with some fun personality. Makes all the right turbo noises from its 201hp 1.6l turbo I4 (same motor in the veloster turbo) and it looks real sharp with the 18" wheels, black accents and dual exhaust.

If I hadn't just got my Optima SX-T in December it would definitley be a serious consideration. I miss having a wagon/hatch/liftback, trunks suck.

I've put 5k miles on my 1.6t so far and I think its pretty great. One note, on the veloster turbo there is a magnetically held bypass valve inside the intake air box. Remove it and 90% of the "surge" feeling goes away. No idea why its there in the first place, my gas mileage has improved a little bit too.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
How's the Focus ST for a taller driver? I'm curious about that or possibly the GTI for my next ride since there are SFA options for wagons anymore.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

priznat posted:

How's the Focus ST for a taller driver? I'm curious about that or possibly the GTI for my next ride since there are SFA options for wagons anymore.

I found the mk 7 GTI faaaaaar more comfortable.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Powershift posted:

I found the mk 7 GTI faaaaaar more comfortable.

That's sort of what I had figured based on other reviews, thanks. Kind of a bummer, I like a lot about that ST! Is it the recaros that poke in the back etc? (ST in Canada comes with the recaros standard iirc)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The legroom is the biggest difference. In the focus ST i have trouble getting my foot up on the clutch before my leg hits the steering wheel. The steering wheel seems to come to a more natural position in the GTI.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh that's a drag, I've had that on a few cars I looked at in the past. Subarus (impreza based) especially. The Mazdaspeed3 was fantastic though, shame they aren't making a new one (yet?).

It is a pain finding a fun, practical car when you're very tall. Especially when people tell you "just get a truck!" For some reason (?!?)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My E39 is one of the few cars i can just sit strait down into rather than sitting down and spinning into.

In terms of small cars though, the mk7 golf is one of the more comfortable cars i've found.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have an E46 and without power seats or sunroof it is very comfortable for me, seat could even go back a bit further. E39 best BMW though :swoon: Don't like the new ones at all (also price) so that's why I'm looking at hatches now.

Not in a rush though, my wagon is still ticking along fine. Just really like hot hatches :)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

priznat posted:

I have an E46 and without power seats or sunroof it is very comfortable for me, seat could even go back a bit further. E39 best BMW though :swoon: Don't like the new ones at all (also price) so that's why I'm looking at hatches now.

Not in a rush though, my wagon is still ticking along fine. Just really like hot hatches :)

I'm still very pleased 6 months in with my Audi A3. It doesn't get a lot of love because it was just a really expensive VW GTI but for that same reason it seems to go cheap on the used market. Insurance is less as well. It also shares nearly everything but sheet metal with either the Golf or GTI so part prices haven't been bad at all.

As a bonus you'll catch scorn from people who hate people who own Audi's AND Audi owners themselves for buying the cheap one.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I testdrove an A3 hatch ages ago for the fun of it, it was really nice. Mostly I wanted to check out the DSG which I thought was really cool.

It's a shame Audi doesn't sell those here anymore, the A3s now are just boring sedans. :sigh:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

priznat posted:

I testdrove an A3 hatch ages ago for the fun of it, it was really nice. Mostly I wanted to check out the DSG which I thought was really cool.

It's a shame Audi doesn't sell those here anymore, the A3s now are just boring sedans. :sigh:

I believe thats only 2013 onward. Theres still lots of excellent used ones around.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Does anyone here follow the Red Bull Global Rallycross Series? I know, it's probably not real racing, but I just like the idea of hatches pulling 650 horses on a video game-y course with varying surfaces and jumps. On basic television, no less!

Pulling Teeth
Jan 13, 2008
My Cadillac got that bass
Is the States getting the Kia c'eed GT? It's meant to be a pretty fun little car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Pulling Teeth posted:

Is the States getting the Kia c'eed GT? It's meant to be a pretty fun little car.

The US doesn't get the cee'd at all.