Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
nvm

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Robocop one is the weakest and you can launch a whole bunch of complaint about them (floating heads, no real indication what the movie is about all that much, use of font and font colour, etc), but I like this a bunch. It's just well done.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dual question of the day:

Best John Carpenter movie? / Best John Carpenter score?

I'm goin' Escape from New York for both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1JYDmo19to

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

big trouble / big trouble (escape from new york)

the thing is also way, way the gently caress up there.

assault on precinct 13 is also a favorite of mine.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

spaceships posted:

assault on precinct 13 is also a favorite of mine.

This one would be my first runner-up for score and somewhere in the top 4 or 5 for movies.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This one would be my first runner-up for score and somewhere in the top 4 or 5 for movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGME6jCwqw0

it's just the theme, but when it plays just before end credits, i feel shivers coming down my spine. darwin joston was such a bad rear end motherfucker in the film. rip.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Best movie: The Thing

Best Score: Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Criminal Minded posted:

My mom used to be a huge stoner when she was my age and saw all kinds of awesome bands live, but now she listens to lame momrock. I once played Kraftwerk (Trans Europe Express) on a drive to STL with her and she was down with it, but when I tried Can she was like "What the hell are we listening to?" :smith:

On the other hand her favorite movie is Jaws so yeah my mom is rad.

My mom is similar. She used to listen to a lot of punk and new wave bands, and got to see the Pretenders, Devo, the Ramones, and more live. Nowadays, though, she barely listens to any music.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Thing / Halloween

The Things is just great all-around, and I love the monotony and dread of Halloween's main theme.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60EUG-CDC_k

the stache? that's symbolic, it's a walrus

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

If it was towed for violating public parking laws you should be able to google that easily. If it was private property and there's not a sign, and it wasn't parked there too long, it's grand theft auto, and there's an okay chance if you raise enough stink she'll get out of it okay.

Edit: I forgot you're in North Carolina, this is probably going to be that episode of Encyclopedia Brown that was too dark to air.

I honestly don't know what it was towed for. It was parked in a non-handicapped space in front of our apartment building.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgooW2hQfow

I was gonna say it's not as crisp as Ricochet's, but it's not even as crisp as Willie Mack's.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Hitting with the knees definitely makes it look like it hurts a little. I always thought SSP and moonsaults look lovely when they impact with the torso.

Oh god I didn't even realize this was general chat sorry

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Daily Doomsaying.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Apparently she was parked in a space marked "reserved" so some dude called a tow company at 2:30 in the morning to have her towed. There's no signs about being towed anywhere on the property and not enough parking as-is. People are dicks.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

FishBulb posted:

Hitting with the knees definitely makes it look like it hurts a little. I always thought SSP and moonsaults look lovely when they impact with the torso.

There's a fine line between making it look impactful and trying not to actually hurt your opponent.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

For me it's The Thing/Escape from New York (though that's really just for the title theme alone).

The only flaw I know of with the Escape from New York theme is that ICP sampled it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

axleblaze posted:

The only flaw I know of with the Escape from New York theme is that ICP sampled it.

ICP sampled Mozart.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

ICP sampled Mozart.

And Backdoor Santa.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Best movie is a tie between The Thing and Escape From New York.

The best scene, though, is that long-rear end fistfight in They Live. That poo poo was a work of art.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

axleblaze posted:

For me it's The Thing/Escape from New York (though that's really just for the title theme alone).

icp sampling something doesn't take away from the source, and is by no means anything resembling a "flaw."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I don't think he was being serious.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CloseFriend posted:

Best movie is a tie between The Thing and Escape From New York.

The best scene, though, is that long-rear end fistfight in They Live. That poo poo was a work of art.

One of the only times I've seen a drop toehold in an action movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Followup question: is John Carpenter the best genre director of the second half of the 20th century?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I really don't 'get' the long fight scene in They Live. Do you have to be a wrestling fan to fully appreciate it?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Slate Action posted:

I really don't 'get' the long fight scene in They Live. Do you have to be a wrestling fan to fully appreciate it?

I think you just have to be a fan of relentless rear end-kickings.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yes, I was mostly kidding about the ICP thing, although I did unfortunately hear the ICP song before seeing Escape from New York, so in my brain it's hard to separate the two completely.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Followup question: is John Carpenter the best genre director of the second half of the 20th century?

I think this would still be Spielberg.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

He certainly has a strong run from Dark Star to like, Vampires arguably.

Slate Action posted:

What's to get? It's absurdly long that's humorous.

axleblaze posted:

Yawn. How boring. What fun is an opinion if it's obvious.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Slate Action posted:

It's definitely very wrestling-inspired in its blocking and pacing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

They Live/Halloween 3

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I don't know if They Live or The Thing is better. They are both so good.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Slate Action posted:

Have you ever argued with a family member over something like, say, gay marriage? It seems so ridiculous, doesn't it? I mean, it's just gay marriage, something that's perfectly okay and sensible, but your brother/uncle/sister/cousin/whatever just can't get it. You'll sit there for minutes or hours, debating the same points endlessly, and they'll keep coming back to their anchor of ignorance, no matter how many times you try to drag them away from it. It becomes a horrible, drawn-out affair that you cannot find any way to close on. That's what the long fight is meant to symbolize: Armitage's weird resistance to "putting the glasses on." Stepping away from your preconceived notions hurts, because your identity as a person is frequently bound up in those notions.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Sam Raimi is a contender.

Slate Action posted:

Nah, you just have to like two dudes in an alley beating the poo poo out of each other over a pair of sunglasses.

Also I'm super excited to see Texas Chainsaw Massacre tonight. This had better be as good as you guys are saying.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

maybe, i think it could be so. i feel spielberg doesn't count, because he really isn't that genre-specific, considering his vast body of work.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

axleblaze posted:

Too serious. It doesn't feel accurate to me to refer to the guy who made The Color Purple and Empire of the Sun and Schindler's List as a genre director. Not a pure one, anyway.

FishBulb posted:

He certainly has a strong run from Dark Star to like, Vampires arguably.

I still haven't seen Vampires. I should fix that.

My love for Sam Raimi knows no bounds, but I think I gotta give it to Carpenter on this one. That we never got a straight-up Western out of him is a minor tragedy. Imagine how much better Tombstone would've been if John Carpenter directed it.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'd say he's at least in the top 5, along with Raimi, Cameron, and maybe Verhoeven.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Also I'm super excited to see Texas Chainsaw Massacre tonight. This had better be as good as you guys are saying.

You have no idea.

I Before E posted:

I'd say he's at least in the top 5, along with Raimi, Cameron, and maybe Verhoeven.

Good call on Veerhoeven, I didn't think of him.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I dunno. I'd say Michael Mann is a pretty strong contender. He and John Carpenter are close to equal in my eyes, at least in the way they leave their own mark and have unique styles of photography.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

I dunno. I'd say Michael Mann is a pretty strong contender.

Meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
People always forget that Joe Dante exists for some reason.

• Locked thread