Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Sagacious Leung
XP: 1

"I suppose introductions are in order. I am Sagacious Leung, roving scholar and willing apostate of the Temple Ephemereal. May our paths cross again before the end." She gives him a short bow before climbing to her feet and leaving the makeshift hut. Creel may be a thief, but he is honest about that fact. That alone deserves respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Avadin Arteka Tock Tock

Ah, yes, introductions. May as well, while they're still here. "Avadin Arteka, Timekeeper." Ava bows to Creel, then stands straight up again, staring at him. (Or, well, "staring"; it's hard to tell when, or if, she actually closes her eyes.) After a few seconds, she looks to the others again, waiting for them to finish deciding on what they are doing.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Karash

"I'm Karash. I help people. We should move."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Pyotr

Pyotr seems to lose interest once Creel proves to be entirely unthreatening. "Pyotr. They call me Stormcrow." He cracks his knuckles. "I can show you the way to the armor, sure." The ship sounds like it might have more danger and chaos, but...he was asked.

Besides, he might be guessing wrong.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Alexander

Alexander jerks out of his self induced trance, looking away from his pendant. "Oh, haha, sorry for zoning out like that." He starts rubbing the back of his head absentmindedly. "My meditation teacher said something about 'The emptiest pond being the deepest.', but he always had funny jokes like that." He laughs loudly, while Codeine rolls her eyes. "Now Cody, help me figure out which way to go, please." The spirit zips into the dowsing pedant, which takes on a pinkish glow, and grows a pair of diaphanous wings. Alexander sets the pendant spinning, and begins muttering a mantra.

Leaving the outcome in PixelScum's hands! Sorry to be AWOL for so long, I was dealing with life stuff. Glad to be back though!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Welcome back!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
So should we Perilous Journey to the crash site?
If so, I can be quartermaster.

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
Alright so guys, this is definitely going to be a perilous journey so each group -- save for GreenIntern's right now due to how short the distance is -- needs to determine who the Quartermaster, Scout, and Trailblazers are.
The gist is:
* The quartermaster reduces the number of rations required by one.
* The trailblazer reduces the amount of time it takes to reach your destination (the GM will say by how much.)
* The scout will spot any trouble quick enough to let you get the drop on it.

After you decide who is what (only one person per role,) the ones with the rolls roll +WIS.

The groups are as follows:
Arcturus, Karash, Tazeret, Pyotr, are seeking the Armored Man.
Svetlanka, Avadin, Leung, Alexander, are seeking the Fallen Ship.

Additionally sorry for being so slow posting I'm going to be posting a lot more from now on.

Golem / Creel Super Team
The city isn't too far and part of the journey will be the Spider Wood, where they sleep and live in the trees. Here and there you can see the bulging or twisting of the bark as one scurries beneath, like a child under a sheet. A child roughly the size of a rottweiler and paralytic venom. Also I guess mandibles. Not a child at all, but gently caress you. I do what I want.
Creel seems a bit disturbed by the entire thing, "I don't suppose there's an easier way through here? Maybe a catapult. Or a some kind of flamethrower?"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'll grab Scout for Team Armored Guy.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ava has WIS +1, so she can either scout or trailblaze; both make sense for her, really, so if anyone wants to do a specific one she can do the other for the Fallen Ship expedition.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Since I also have a +1 to Wis while being theoretically good at getting out of bad situations, I'll take Scout. I mean, if there's a chance we'd botch it and stumble into a sandworm nest, it might as well be the fastest person who's going to stumble into it. Better than letting Alexander take the lead, he'd probably just trip and fall in.

(Besides, it seems pretty appropriate to let the Timekeeper handle getting us there fast.)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Nameless Golem

The golem walks beside Creel, trudging forward heedless of the teeming canopy around them. Creel was worried about the spiders. This was something that it recognized as a common trait among many of its companions; it had trouble empathizing with them. Spiders were of little consequence to the golem, aside from the odd tangling of webs on its face, and unintended nestings within its torso.

.:.This unit apologizes, Ward Creel. This is the most direct route to Nexus and shelter. Do not fear the wildlife. This unit has heard that although even the least of the species can immobilize a bear in moments, they only hunt when hungry. This unit is not an expert on arachnid species however, and could be mistaken. Please remain close for your own safety, and do not hesitate to make any distress known.:.

The golem and Creel walk onward for a short while longer, the sounds in the forest getting softer and softer as the canopy of webs and leaves grows thicker, until the metal man breaks the silence.

.:.Let this unit ask you about yourself, Ward Creel. What is the place you come from like? Have you seen a creation like this unit before?.:.

-----------
Spout SpiderLore: 2d6 7

Such fun facts!

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 30, 2014

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
Golem / Creel Super Team
"Oh good." He stares for awhile, "Nothing like you. Similar but more terrifying. They were called the Sun Tyrants, and they've conquered countless galaxies. My world was just one of the latest to be caught and a good deal of us hid and lived in the ruined cities left after the first salvos."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Nameless Golem

The golem brushes away a web in Creel's path. Its resident hisses angrily, but scrambles away.

.:.This unit does not feel like a tyrant, although it was...a weapon. This unit does not recall why it fought, or who; Memory is not complete, but this unit is starting to recall prior events. They are not pleasant.:.

The light in the golem's eyes flickers on and off as the two figures move along through the dangling strands of web.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 30, 2014

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
I'll trailblaze for Team Armored Guy.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

I'll quartermaster for Armored Man Seeks Armored Man

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I am excited to read about all of your adventures huddling cold and hungry in the freaky desert.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
as I mentioned, I'll Quartermaster for Fallen Ship. Should I roll now?
Quartermaster 6(unmodified) 8 (with +2 WIS)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Since Ship Crew's slots are all filled, I might as well roll now too.
Scout(Perilous Journey): 2d6+1 10

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was having trouble getting a good sounding preparations post written anyway. Sorry for the delay.

Undertake a Perilous Journey: 2d6+1 = 7.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, here goes nothing...

That's a 4 on this scout.

It is entirely possible that Pyotr spotted something dangerous and immediately charged at it because he likes danger.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Trailblazing!: 2d6+2 8

Tazaret manages to avoid portalling anyone to the bottom of a ravine! Unless that was where we were supposed to go.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Quartermastering
Krysmbot KZA, 7+0 = 7

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
The two groups finally set off on their journey even as the golem continues to chat with its newly found friend. While the heat was certainly awful in the wastelands, it seemed to redouble its efforts as they entered the desert. The sun beat down on them, staring like the hateful eye of some atrocity past, it's gaze leaving nothing but scorched
breath and exhausted flesh where it touched.

Fallen Ship
The journey goes as expected for the first day, supplies are well-rationed and the trails found reasonably easily.
However, Leung has caught something in the distance in the later afternoon, an odd crab-like creature scuttling in the distance. She wouldn't be worried normally, except on second glance she realised it was the size of a house at the least.

Soon night would fall, and the creature's path directly intersects the group's, she's sure it would notice the light from the camp fire. However, right now it's distant enough that avoiding it wouldn't be much of a problem.

Armored Man
The lot of you manage to make it to the canyons in an adequate fashion, however there is something odd. Pyotr finds the canyons are a bit too difficult to properly scout in and before they even realise it, something odd has started to happen. The sun hung low, and the canyons were starting to darken with the expected shadows. All of you were getting tired but the shade helped fight the heat.
Then it happened. Screams echoed throughout the canyons, a foul wailing that filled you all with dread. Slowly it got louder and louder, as if it were coming closer to you.
No, it was coming closer. You've got a few brief seconds to prepare against this unknown and unseen threat, what do you do?

MEANWHILE, IN BUMFUCK GOLEMVILLE
You manage to get through the forest fairly easily. Despite Creel's obvious fear, most of the spiders -- especially the ones on well-used paths -- were quiescent during the day. The golem was addressed by one of the gate guards as it and Creel finally arrived, "Ho golem, brought back another visitor? Or are your friends close behind?" His trigger discipline is kind of awful and the very large energy rifle's aim kind of wanders around, often crossing your position. You can tell he's kind of a gently caress-up but hey, he's friendly enough right?

PixelScum fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 4, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Bumfuck Golemville

The golem halts at the gate. The guard, Andy, was a good man. Perhaps a bit reckless, but ready to defend Nexus.

.:.Guard Andy, this unit has returned with a new arrival. His name is Creel. He is a thief, but has been on good behavior for our entire journey. Please welcome him as you would any new refugee.:.

The golem turns to Creel and bows. It looks and sounds like a bulldozer bending over sideways.

.:.Citizen Creel. This is where this unit must leave you. Please enjoy your stay in Nexus. This unit will return once its duty is complete.:.

With that, the golem performs an awkward about-face, and stomps off into the desert at speed. There was work to be done.

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
Golemville, USA
"Oh. Oh good. Well come on in!" The doors start to open and the golem enters the forest.
"I'm so glad we're off to a good start." Creel's sarcasm is the last thing the golem hears of the exchange.

Alright you're going to want to pick one of the roles for the perilous journey and only one. The rest you pretty much fail at. Since you're a golem, quartermaster is mostly irrelevant for you.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Nameless Golem

I choose Trailblazer. FULL SPEED AHEAD.

TRAILBLAZIN (Perilous Journey): 2d6+1 8

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
We're all together in the canyon

Thousand gods Tazaret hates the desert so much. It isn't just the heat, or the dust that bothers her. It's the heat and the dust and the fact that it lasts forever. She's going to die out here before they find the armored man. Either she'll die of heat exhaustion or they'll all start starving to death and Pyotr will eat her, probably.

Tazaret consoles herself with the thought that if things get truly dire he'll fly away before resorting to cannibalism.

And then the screaming starts. Tazaret draws her pistol and does a quick sweep of the area but nothing obviously dangerous presents itself. There are travelers' tales that say it's the spirits of those who died here and that the sand of the desert is made of the bones of the dead ground to a fine powder. With their remains so scattered it's impossible to put these spirits to rest, and they're doomed to haunt the desert forever. They also say that the ghosts died hungry and still seek the flesh of the living.

Spout lore on moaning: 2d6+1 10

She really hopes that's just a story.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sagacious Leung

"Hmm. A siege crab. I thought it'd be too arid for one out here." Leung smiles at this most improbably situation before turning back to the rest of the group.

"If we start heading northeast now, we should be behind it once night falls. Don't worry, it'll be fine. It takes far more than one campfire to make a siege crab this size turn around."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Svetlanka
HP 21/21, Armor 0/0+2, XP 1/8

It has been an uneventful trip, by the grace of Torthanc I avoided a few pitfalls, I managed to keep the sandgrubs at one of our campsites out of our food supply. This is definitely not the toughest journey I've ever been on...not even close.

At the news of a giant crab, I don't even blink. I turn to the sage. "Da, is being good idea to circle around, taking extra time to do this would spare even more extra time spent healing up after battle. I will consult Torthanc, maybe is faster with god's blessing, da?"

I raise my gauntleted fist into the air, and begin a slow chant over the assembled group. Even though technically I'm the only worshipper of Torthanc here, I still recite the pledge of the faithful, asking Torthanc to watch over his followers and shield them from evil.
Invocation +WIS 9
Your invocation bolsters your deity's Worshippers...BUT
Your intervention is subtle or takes a while to manifest.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Avadin Arteka Tick Tock

"Avoiding the crab would be ideal; it would be quite the hassle to deal with something like that." Avadin looks towards their goal as the sun sets, Raum would hopefully return soon, with information on what it has seen. Staying out of trouble until then is the more pressing issue.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Karash

"Shields up." Karash feels the comforting buzz as the force-field that saved him from atmospheric reentry covers him once more. "Get behind me. I will keep you- us- safe."

No matter what. For them. Little pitons fire from his boots, anchoring him to the ground.

"Well..." A floodlight pops on up top, swiveling. Searching. "Come and get me."

KPrime, 5+1 = 6 Defend, hold 1 anyway due to Shields.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Pyotr - XP: 2

Pyotr glances over at Karash. "Behind you?"

He shoulders his way forward, cracking his knuckles. He's grinning widely. This is what he was hoping for, really - something to happen, something that wasn't planned or expected. Something interesting

"Not a chance."

Instead, he moves out to put himself closer to the sounds, then lets out a war cry - one of the few things he can remember being taught about the Blackwing traditions.

Not sure if it's Defend or Survive but both are +Con so: 9 means either I hold 2 (because of Hold Onto What's Precious and these being my allies) or when harm comes I get to pick one of the Survive options from my sheet.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Alexander

"Crabs? Eeurgh!" A disgusted look crawls over his face. " I hate things with more than 4 legs. I guess that snapped me out of my meditation. Well, time to do some heroing. At the ready, Codeine!" With that, the pendant around Alexander's neck begins to grow brightly, and Codeine flies out in front of her summoner, glowing just as brightly as the crystal. From behind her comes a faint breeze, lightly scented with flowers, as if blowing off a meadow.

Alexander strikes a pose. "Battle stance, set!"

Rolling summon, and taking 1 Pact ongoing.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Arcturus (XP: 1)

Arcturus steps past Karash, drawing his quarterstaff and infusing it with light, turning it into a gleaming bow. Much like Pyotr, he has a big, overconfident grin on his face.

"If there's evil here, it's our job to destroy it!"

Defending as well
[16:49] Krysmbot Hashtags, 6 = 6
oops

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
Armored Man
It's going to be Survive for you Pyotr, since you were the most visible target. The good news is I rolled average, so take 8 damage (or whatever, since Survive is rad.)
Your preparations came just in time, as something big, blue, and partially translucent slams into Pyotr, flowing around him and toward the rest of you. Here and there parts of it stop for a moment, reorienting themselves and reveal faces, some you might know, some you might not. All of them screaming.
A clacking sound can be heard from ahead, as a creature larger than a man hobbles its way into your part of the canyon with a cane. Gleaming red vapor seems to pour from the eyesockets of the goat's skull that serves presumably as a mask, but nothing else is visible. All of its flesh is hidden away by thick purple furs and something seems to writhe and twitch beneath it, as if it were eager to escape.
Karash and Arcturus find the faces seem to avoid them, tearing forward toward the apparently vulnerable Tazaret.

Fallen Ship
Alright Error404, just to let you know it's going to take awhile.
The crab seems to trundle on, unperturbed by the summoning, however any heroing that might've been done manages to get interrupted by the arrival of Raum.
It flutters and flitters and lights on Ava's shoulder, leaning in as if it were to whisper something to her.
It tells her that the Armored Man is a little more than half a day's distance, and slow. Resting for the night shouldn't be a problem as he seems to be travelling in a straight line, toward some goal that not even Raum could see. However, it does note there seems to be some sort of temporal twitching near him. Movement seems difficult within arm's reach of him, as if he were constantly rewinding the time of anything around him for a few brief seconds.

GOLEMVILLE, USA
The Golem finds itself travelling the wastes at a fairly rapid clip, entering the desert at a good time and forging onward toward the canyons with the dogged persistence only sentient machinery can manage.
Well, it would be if it weren't now sliding into a massive fissure that opened up in the sand itself. The newly created chasm yawns like the jaws of some horrific beast even as the golem scrambles to grab hard stone.

It's been brought to my attention that I'm an idiot, and switched the groups positioning in the previous post. So, I've fixed it. Additionally I'm passing Tazaret some fantastic information.

PixelScum fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 4, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Nameless Golem

The golem does not cry out as the earth opens up beneath it. It was not made to do as such, so the thought never occurred. Instead, it thrusts its arms out, and tries to slow its descent on what handholds it can find. Unfortunately, a crumbling wall of sand and scree is all it gets.

.:.No Delays.:.

The golem pulls both arms back, plummeting faster now that it is no longer grabbing at the wall. With a rumbling groan, two massive fists plunge through the falling sand and rubble into whatever lay beyond; if there were no handholds to be found on the surface of the sandfall, then the golem would surely make some of its own. After that, climbing would be easy. And besides, there were comrades waiting.

I got a 12 on my Defy Danger (strength) roll.
Defy Danger (with muscles): 2d6+2 12

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 5, 2014

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Tazaret

“Goat-mask is controlling the ghosts, if we kill it they'll stop,” Tazaret calls to her comrades. “And it will try to take your heart.” Silently she blessed the rambling veteran back in Nexus, and vowed if she got out of this alive he would never pay for drinks again.

She has no idea what effect normal bullets would have on a being composed almost entirely of hearts-- "Oh and it's made of hearts" --but luckily she has a fire based alternative! Her left hand quickly reached inside her jacket and drew out a glowing blue-green sphere which she hurled at goat-skull, heedless of the ghosts in the way.

Volley at the Heartseeker: 2d6+1 9

You have to move to get the shot placing you in danger of the GM's choice

Damage: 1d6 1 Messy, ignores armor

Double Plus Undead fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 5, 2014

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Sagacious Leung

"This is a dangerous path to walk in the dark, you know. Far safer to just start a fire and wait for morning to come."

"The question is, do we want to be safe?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Svetlanka
HP 21/21, Armor 0/0+2, XP 1/8

I turn to the unlikely monk. "Da, being safe is best route. We do not know what will be waiting at the ship crash."

• Locked thread