Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dogan posted:

I like how about 2 screens away from the very starting point of Riven, there is a little machine that would destroy the universe if you fiddled with it too much.

Seems like a great way to introduce new players to the game, and also give my 10-year-old self nightmares

It's been a while and I don't remember it. Screenshot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Bad Munki posted:

It's been a while and I don't remember it. Screenshot?

It's the telescope. If you lower it too much it breaks the glass sealing the world and you get sucked out into space.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ohhhhh, I vaguely remember that, pretty sure I did that a couple times just for kicks.

I should dig out my copies of those games, it'd be fun to do some quick run-throughs, having the newness from not having played them in a decade or two, and the experience of having solved them before.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Quick run-through? Of Myst?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

LoonShia posted:

A quick YouTube search nets several <2 minutes speed-runs!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

LoonShia posted:

It's all relative. Quick compared to thirteen-year-old me figuring it out the first time. Like, you could comfortably play through the game in an afternoon if you know the answers or at least vaguely remember them.

Of course the subsequent ones would take longer, but Myst itself shouldn't take more than a few hours.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Mierenneuker posted:

A couple years ago, there was a video games exhibit at the Smithsonian Museum of American Art. Some games they had available for play, and I was nearly able to speedrun Myst, but couldn't find the drat fireplace pattern when I actually had the paper :argh:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Tracula posted:

One of the red phantoms even does a taunt if he kills you, it's fantastic.

He uses the 'it's me' thumb point emote when he first spawns as well. It's ridiculous - players are now completely irrelevant.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Did they ever fix the AI for the allies in the base game? It was a huge pain to keep Lucatiel alive.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They haven't, no, but the allies got a huge HP boost. Lucatiel can basically face tank the Sinner and Smelter Demon.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Nth Doctor posted:

A couple years ago, there was a video games exhibit at the Smithsonian Museum of American Art. Some games they had available for play, and I was nearly able to speedrun Myst, but couldn't find the drat fireplace pattern when I actually had the paper :argh:

You could just go for the 3rd ending and have it all over in a minute without you leaving the starting island... But that's skipping the good bits (and the bad bits).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mierenneuker posted:

A guy I know swears that he did that thing everyone does when they find that final lock puzzle thing and tried random combinations, but actually stumbled on it and finished the game without doing most of it. It seems unlikely, but I can't say for certain that he didn't.

Bad Munki posted:

It's all relative. Quick compared to thirteen-year-old me figuring it out the first time. Like, you could comfortably play through the game in an afternoon if you know the answers or at least vaguely remember them.
Could you, without a walkthrough? It's been almost twenty years, but I remember some of them being pretty tricky...

Tiggum has a new favorite as of 18:33 on Jul 25, 2014

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tiggum posted:

Could you, without a walkthrough? It's been almost twenty years, but I remember some of them being pretty tricky...

I dunno, I'll let you know after the weekend. :getin:

I think I can, though. I was pretty into all of those games.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tiggum posted:

I could probably do it, but most of my time would be spent overcoming that goddamn "match the musical notes by ear" puzzle inside the spaceship. :argh:

Re: Riven. You can't actually speed-run it the way you can with Myst because the code needed to open the manhole and start the endgame sequence is dynamically generated about 60-80% of the way through the game. Same thing for the code you need to free Catherine/not get the bad ending, IIRC.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Jul 25, 2014

Whitz
Dec 17, 2012
Myst has been on my list of games to play for a while now, I'm guessing realMyst: Masterpiece Edition is the way to go?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Whitz posted:

Myst has been on my list of games to play for a while now, I'm guessing realMyst: Masterpiece Edition is the way to go?
I'd say not playing it is the way to go. I enjoyed it at the time, but I was playing it with my father and brother, so that made it more fun, and we didn't have the internet (or many other games). These days, with so many other options, I doubt any of us would pick that game or get very far with it before giving up. Some of the puzzles require some serious working out (we had to write down pages of notes to get through it) and it's very slow-paced.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

Tiggum posted:

I'd say not playing it is the way to go. I enjoyed it at the time, but I was playing it with my father and brother, so that made it more fun, and we didn't have the internet (or many other games). These days, with so many other options, I doubt any of us would pick that game or get very far with it before giving up. Some of the puzzles require some serious working out (we had to write down pages of notes to get through it) and it's very slow-paced.

The slow pace and keeping a journal of notes was exactly what made MYST great for me. It simulated an actual adventure's sense of discovery. I got the Masterpiece Edition on sale and I recommend it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I'm almost done with STALKER SoC. Seeing random things happen in the middle of firefights is really cool. There's a group of bandits behind the train station in the Garbage and in the middle of that fight a pack of dogs were chasing a flesh around.

There's locational damage in the game but I never picked up on it until I kneecapped a guy at point-blank range and he fell over and picked himself up. I used that time to finish him off. I've shot up packs of dogs and when they're really injured they'll limp with one paw up.

At the end of one firefight near the Red Forest an enemy got swept up in an anomaly and I got to see him explode into gibs. One of the fights had a guy walk into a lightning anomaly and died from the shock.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I liked how when I first entered the Garbage area, some other Stalkers were in firm control of the scrapyard. As I went back and forth between the Cordon and other areas it seemed their numbers kept dwindling. I used some kind of container there as a storage space for loot. The first time I got attacked by a dog there it became obvious that I had to move on. I started making trips to the Duty base, back and forth (I didn't install a mod to remove weight restrictions). By the time I got the last of my loot, there was no one left in the scrapyard...

Also, the first time you get attacked by a Controller :stonk:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Tiggum posted:

Don't listen to this. Myst is still one of the absolute best point and click puzzle games. Yeah, it's a lot harder than a more modern point and click game, but it's not that hard. Besides, specifically because we live in a time with the internet, you can look up some hints to puzzles that you get stuck on.

Riven (Myst 2) is legit hard though. However, it's one of the best rendered games and totally worth playing. Myst 3, 4 and 5 have something to offer but are a lot more like modern point and clicks.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
There are waaaay too few games nowadays that go after the same slow, deliberate worldbuilding-based puzzle solving that the Myst series did and I'm surprised that after this long nobody's put out a series trying to emulate it. Riven's still one of my all-time favorite games and it kills me that I can't play more like it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

I could probably do it, but most of my time would be spent overcoming that goddamn "match the musical notes by ear" puzzle inside the spaceship. :argh:

This was such a cruel puzzle. gently caress you game, I already know I'm tone-deaf and terrible at all things music, why you gotta rub it in?!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Whitz posted:

I haven't played the newer releases of Myst, but I say go for it with the realization that the game was designed and intended to be detailed and difficult enough to require notes. The original game (at least) shipped with a blank journal to use for your notes.

Also: gently caress that sound puzzle.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff
With how rough console ports could be, I was pretty impressed when playing Sleeping Dogs, it still gives you xbox button prompts no matter the controller, but the prompts translate immediately to keyboard and mouse when you disconnect your controller. Mirror's Edge is the only other game I've seen to do this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tony Bologna posted:

With how rough console ports could be, I was pretty impressed when playing Sleeping Dogs, it still gives you xbox button prompts no matter the controller, but the prompts translate immediately to keyboard and mouse when you disconnect your controller. Mirror's Edge is the only other game I've seen to do this.

The Telltale games do this as well. They'll instantaneously switch to keyboard prompts if you nudge the mouse or tap on the keyboard while playing with a controller (and, obviously, back again when you tap something on the controller).

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just started the Destiny Beta, I can see my feet when I look down.

Its a bit sad that seeing my character's feet in an FPS now impresses me so much. :smith:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The dumbass Singularity FPS did the same thing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah being able to see feet in an FPS is not a new nor particularly great innovation. There have been at least a few 90s FPSes that did that too.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
True but lately it hasn't been the case, you're just a flying torso.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Alteisen posted:

In Tribes: Ascend you could shoot yourself in the foot (and take damage) if you looked straight down and fired. It was pretty excellent. The thing dragging Tribes: Ascend down was the terrible dev studio.

Elysiume has a new favorite as of 19:21 on Jul 26, 2014

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

In Crysis 3 when you look down you see someone else's feet.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Alteisen posted:

I still can't figure out why on earth seeing your own feet in games where you never ever need to see your own feet is such a sticking point other than some silly "my immersion!" thing. Why does anyone care?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It really is just a "my immersion" thing. I'm not going to knock that, we all have our little preferences to fiction when it comes to what immerses us and what jerks us out of it, but it never mattered to me personally.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Kimmalah posted:

I still can't figure out why on earth seeing your own feet in games where you never ever need to see your own feet is such a sticking point other than some silly "my immersion!" thing. Why does anyone care?

It never bothers me unless they make you do jumping puzzles.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Yeah I didn't mean to sound like an rear end in a top hat about it, but it's just that I've played tons of first-person games (mostly RPGs where immersion is a big "thing") and it's never once occurred to me to look for my feet or care if they were visible. But I hear players complain about this all the time. :confused:

Jumping puzzles and stuff though, I could understand that.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

It really is just a "my immersion" thing. I'm not going to knock that, we all have our little preferences to fiction when it comes to what immerses us and what jerks us out of it, but it never mattered to me personally.

It's a sign of attention to detail; if a developer has the ability to make sure that small details like feet are visible then it shows how much care and effort they put into the game.

Though it's not always a sign of general quality, but it makes the consumer feel better about what they're playing; like a chocolate on the pillow of a hotel room, it doesn't change the quality of the visit but it does create the image that the hotel puts effort into the details.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

When we're all wearing Occulus Rifts™ in our Immersitanks™ with Stimnodes™ (brought to you by Doritos™) on our extremities, you'll be quite glad you can look down and see your feet.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

umalt posted:

It's a sign of attention to detail; if a developer has the ability to make sure that small details like feet are visible then it shows how much care and effort they put into the game.

Though it's not always a sign of general quality, but it makes the consumer feel better about what they're playing; like a chocolate on the pillow of a hotel room, it doesn't change the quality of the visit but it does create the image that the hotel puts effort into the details.

For some people I guess? Because to me that's just really weird to automatically assume that no feet = no attention to detail because it really doesn't.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Seeing your feet is one of those things that is cool in theory but in practice is a lot of unnecessary extra work for something that will always be clunky and awkward due to the necessary abstraction between using a KB+M/controller and actually controlling a head and body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Babe Magnet posted:

In Crysis 3 when you look down you see someone else's feet.

:golfclap:

A little thing I like in the ArmA series is the ability to hit ALT to swivel your head to look around, instead of rotating your entire upper torso like a Disney animatronic.