Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Elysiume posted:

In Tribes: Ascend you could shoot yourself in the foot (and take damage) if you looked straight down and fired. It was pretty excellent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mECtAa2-Ln0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

flatluigi posted:

There are waaaay too few games nowadays that go after the same slow, deliberate worldbuilding-based puzzle solving that the Myst series did and I'm surprised that after this long nobody's put out a series trying to emulate it. Riven's still one of my all-time favorite games and it kills me that I can't play more like it.

I'll never forget Myst the first time I looked at the constellations, and had a hunch what each one symbolized, and ended up solving the puzzle with it. I agree; I think there'd be a market for more of these games that really require your own organization and notes to complete.

I feel like FEZ is the closest thing I've seen recently that gives you the same sort of challenge. You can beat that game pretty easily, but to get 100% requires a lot of care and attention to detail - and, likely, note-taking.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In the credit sequence of Shadow of the Colossus, after the player turned into a Colossus, killed, then reborn as an infant, the player still has control but they can only cry or flail helplessly.

SOTC is a game that is technically perfect. The framerate was a bit iffy on the PS2 and that Tortoise-Colossus can gently caress off, but it was a rare game that succeeded artistically as well as mechanically. It had a deeply tragic and mysterious storyline with many ways to interpret that appealed to the art-loving crowd, while being made of cool boss fights completely unprecedented in scale that appealed to everyone else. It's proof that a AAA game can both be artistic and fun.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 00:09 on Jul 27, 2014

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

I have such good memories of getting stoned and playing that game in my garage. Inifintely more intense when you're being influenced by marihuana leaf smoke.
I loved the prizes you get for beating time trials.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

The one time I 'cared', or rather noticed, that I could see my feet in a first person game was in Mirror's Edge, which had an excellent introduction scene that left me standing there like an idiot for like 10 seconds before I realised it wasn't a cutscene and it actually was up to me to move now. That game was awesome and beautiful and poo poo the first time I played it, until the gunfights started dragging it down and stuff.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I spent longer than I should have on the sixth colossus fight trying to figure out how to climb up one of his arms until it dawned on me that the game wanted me to climb up his beard when he bent over to look for me in the tunnel.

That game had the best puzzle bosses.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In the credit sequence of Shadow of the Colossus, after the player turned into a Colossus, killed, then reborn as an infant, the player still has control but they can only cry or flail helplessly.

SOTC is a game that is technically perfect. The framerate was a bit iffy on the PS2 and that Tortoise-Colossus can gently caress off, but it was a rare game that succeeded artistically as well as mechanically. It had a deeply tragic and mysterious storyline with many ways to interpret that appealed to the art-loving crowd, while being made of cool boss fights completely unprecedented in scale that appealed to everyone else. It's proof that a AAA game can both be artistic and fun.

While I definitely point to SotC as one of the games that merges storytelling to gameplay pretty much perfectly, I think that more than anything it stands to a testament to how focused game design is what makes games good. SotC knew exactly what it was offering to the player - boss fights - and did exactly that and nothing more. It has a few little extras you can get by exploring, but those can hardly be considered gameplay features, and lo and behold, the entire game falls together. Compare it to something like Skyrim or Asscreed where the main complaint is "mile wide, inch deep," and it's almost as if not trying to be several games all at once is a good thing!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Captain Lavender posted:

I'll never forget Myst the first time I looked at the constellations, and had a hunch what each one symbolized, and ended up solving the puzzle with it. I agree; I think there'd be a market for more of these games that really require your own organization and notes to complete.

I feel like FEZ is the closest thing I've seen recently that gives you the same sort of challenge. You can beat that game pretty easily, but to get 100% requires a lot of care and attention to detail - and, likely, note-taking.

Well, Jonathan Blow's got The Witness and Cyan themselves have Obduction in the works. I think I've seen a few other indie releases on Steam that seemed to be going for a similar style though I can't say if any of them succeed at it or are any good.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm looking at Steam and I see Myst, Riven, and Myst V. Is there some known reason for Myst III and IV not being on there? :confused:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm pretty sure the rights to III and IV are stuck with Ubisoft. It's a shame because III is really great. (IV didn't really click with me at all.)

URU, either via the Complete Chronicles or via mystonline.com for free is also worth checking out, though mostly if you're really into the worldbuilding stuff. The puzzles are a bit hit-or-miss, IMO.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 04:25 on Jul 27, 2014

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lame. Thought it might be something like that.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

There was a Myst trilogy with the first three games that got a pretty huge print run about ten years ago, it's probably not that difficult to find these days (although I want to say there were some serious compatibility issues with Exile). I'm pretty sure I've seen a few shrink wrapped copies of Myst IV in Half Price Books as well.

Sadly I haven't played anything past Riven because I am a big dumb idiot incapable of beating that game.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Ryoshi posted:

There was a Myst trilogy with the first three games that got a pretty huge print run about ten years ago, it's probably not that difficult to find these days (although I want to say there were some serious compatibility issues with Exile). I'm pretty sure I've seen a few shrink wrapped copies of Myst IV in Half Price Books as well.

Sadly I haven't played anything past Riven because I am a big dumb idiot incapable of beating that game.

Myst 3, 4 and 5 are a huuuuuge step down in difficulty from Riven.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Riven requires you to work out a mathematical system in base-5 and had a puzzle requiring you to remember animal calls that you had one opportunity to hear with most of those opportunities coming long before that puzzle. So while it was a very pretty and immersive game it was kind of a massive gently caress you all the time.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

kazil posted:

Myst 3, 4 and 5 are a huuuuuge step down in difficulty from Riven.

That's good to know. I beat Myst in college without looking anything up and really enjoyed it, installed Riven, got my notebook ready....and failed to do much of anything. I figured out the rotating room and a couple of other early puzzles but eventually got to a point where I had no idea what to do next and it wasn't intuitive at all.

Riven was as hard as people always claimed Myst was.

I wish Cyan would make another Myst-style game, their worldbuilding was fantastic and the last thing I played by them was a godawful iPhone game that was seemingly entirely luck-based.

Related, but more on topic: in a similar adventure game The Neverhood, the goddamn music is so fantastic that I can still hum some of the nonsense-lyric songs years and years later.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Telltale games do this as well. They'll instantaneously switch to keyboard prompts if you nudge the mouse or tap on the keyboard while playing with a controller (and, obviously, back again when you tap something on the controller).

Though I keep having a problem of the game not starting if my controller is plugged in before I start the game.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Ryoshi posted:

I wish Cyan would make another Myst-style game, their worldbuilding was fantastic and the last thing I played by them was a godawful iPhone game that was seemingly entirely luck-based.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cyaninc/obduction

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Myst had each set of puzzles branch off from the hub, and those sets were self-contained (with one minor exception) and generally linear, so things never got too complicated. Riven on the other hand is centered around two gigantic game-spanning puzzles, with most everything else in-between being basic problem solving in order to operate the right levers and machines and walkways that will let you find all of the information you need and set the two solutions in motion. It's impressive but also a wee bit crazy. :v:

Ryoshi posted:

I went back to Exile about a year ago and was surprised to find that it played without a hitch. Original disk, even. I'd expect a lot more problems with old copies of Myst and Riven. I wanna say my dad couldn't even get a GOG copy of Myst to run.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

My laptop definitely won't play my old Riven discs. Which really sucks. I would love to see an hd remake of Riven one day even if its stupidly hard.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

John Murdoch posted:

I went back to Exile about a year ago and was surprised to find that it played without a hitch. Original disk, even. I'd expect a lot more problems with old copies of Myst and Riven. I wanna say my dad couldn't even get a GOG copy of Myst to run.

The GOG versions of Myst and Riven I got both worked without a hitch as far as I can remember, so maybe you should tell him to give it another try, since the people at GOG do definitely make an effort to update and improve their rereleases of old games if it turns out that a lot of people are having problems with them.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Doctor Bishop posted:

The GOG versions of Myst and Riven I got both worked without a hitch as far as I can remember, so maybe you should tell him to give it another try, since the people at GOG do definitely make an effort to update and improve their rereleases of old games if it turns out that a lot of people are having problems with them.

I don't even know what his original problem was, but it's a moot point now anyway since he immediately bought realMyst Masterpiece as soon as it came out. I think that's our fourth copy of Myst now. :v:

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Doctor Bishop posted:

Speaking of this, does anyone know if the GOG release of Omikron actually works on modern systems? Because I have the old disc-based version and it is a nightmare to try to start the program, let alone actually play it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Chard posted:

This was such a cruel puzzle. gently caress you game, I already know I'm tone-deaf and terrible at all things music, why you gotta rub it in?!
I've played a few adventure games with tone-based puzzles like that, and I always have to look up a walkthrough. I imagine it's even more frustrating if you're deaf, because there's often no indication that you're supposed to be hearing tones, so the deaf player just sees some things lighting up when you click them (and no subtitles appear) and has no idea what to do with that. At least the merely tone-deaf can tell that it's a tone-based puzzle and don't have to waste time trying to figure out what's going on.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Speaking of this, does anyone know if the GOG release of Omikron actually works on modern systems? Because I have the old disc-based version and it is a nightmare to try to start the program, let alone actually play it.

Yeah of course. That's basically GOG's schtick.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Plays just fine on my Windows 7 x64 setup.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah of course. That's basically GOG's schtick.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Plays just fine on my Windows 7 x64 setup.

Sweet. Guess I'm shelling out to by Omikron again.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

umalt posted:

It's a sign of attention to detail; if a developer has the ability to make sure that small details like feet are visible then it shows how much care and effort they put into the game.

Though it's not always a sign of general quality, but it makes the consumer feel better about what they're playing; like a chocolate on the pillow of a hotel room, it doesn't change the quality of the visit but it does create the image that the hotel puts effort into the details.

On a similar note when I started playing dishonored I thought that actually animating the PC's arms swimming through the water was a nice touch that you don't see enough, though Far Cry does it too I think.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Captain Lavender posted:

Its an mmo but The Secret World had a lot of investigation missions like that. You have to translate stuff out of morse code, look up real book references and so on. So for example this is one puzzle in like a sequence of about 7 that make up the mission.

Stepping on the wrong letters is death obviously, anyway the solution is this

“A mathematical “score” equals 20. Two scores, therefore, is 40. Two score and first means: forty-first. Ergo, we are looking for the forty-first Psalm as described by one Jerome. The Jerome in question is St. Jerome, who transcribed the Bible into Latin (Vulgate). A psalm is divided into parts, the transition from one part to another being indicated by a shift in tone. Most online psalms also indicate where a line starts. The first word for part 8 of the 41st psalm by Jerome is “Abyssus”. As far as darkness goes, I’m assuming it simply refers to the first ‘dark’ word, “abyssus” meaning abyss or deep.”

The investigations and story/atmosphere really pulled that game up a lot and there is a lot of character customization which I always like.

edit, ughimages are on imgur now

Goofballs has a new favorite as of 18:37 on Jul 27, 2014

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Ya might not wanna hotlink those images...

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Inspector Gesicht posted:

gently caress off all videogames are art you're just like those prudes in congress

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

My favorite thing about Myst etc. was that it was all about the power of books! This was very important to young me who already spent all my time escaping into various fantasy/SF novels. It felt like it was made just for me :3:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Sweet. Guess I'm shelling out to by Omikron again.

I still love that game but I can never force myself to play it again. Sometimes I'll get as far as actually turning on the dreamcast and booting it up, but then I just think... "oh christ that demon boss fight will happen again" and I get really pissed off with it.

Also, I could never, ever get good enough at the fighting system to make it fun, usually those sections were just a reloading slog and were incredibly super tedious. The game itself is great, it's just the :effort: feeling i have about trying it again that stops me from enjoying it for the 3rd? 4th? run

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
In Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, I love how the laser sword changes colors each time you put it away and bring it back out. I don't even care that it kind of sucks in practice, it just looks so cool!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

gamingCaffeinator posted:

In Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, I love how the laser sword changes colors each time you put it away and bring it back out. I don't even care that it kind of sucks in practice, it just looks so cool!

My favorite thing about the Dead Rising series in general (haven't played 3 yet but I imagine it's largely the same) is that the regular zombies are more of a series of speed bumps than actual threats unless you're overwhelmed by extreme numbers, so you can just go hog wild with whatever crazy weapons and moves you want. Like, with living enemies like psychopaths you have to take care which weapon you bring, but zombies ain't poo poo. The laser sword doesn't do a lot of damage? Use it anyway. Want to go apeshit with the motorized wheelchair you strapped a bunch of guns to? That's viable too. Want to unequip your weapons and insanely brutally destroy hundreds of zombies with suplexes and elbow drops? Have fun, buddy. There's no wrong way to fight the average cannon-fodder zombies and I love those games for it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I only rented Deus Ex: Human Revolution, so I didn't get very far in the story. But even in that short time, I found something to love: it lets you suckerpunch people, and not only that, to suckerpunch people as a valid resolution to quests.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Byzantine posted:

I only rented Deus Ex: Human Revolution, so I didn't get very far in the story. But even in that short time, I found something to love: it lets you suckerpunch people, and not only that, to suckerpunch people as a valid resolution to quests.

I got it on sale recently and the only thing I really remember about the game is you're a robot man who punches people and reads their emails. It was a great game.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's been said but I love that in Human Revolution your character is told to get a move on and get a hostage rescue mission started, and while you're free to explore the big Sarif HQ building if you take too long you get told you hosed up by taking too long and the hostages are dead. I don't think the game had too many moments like that but it was a very nice "we're treating you, the player, as an adult with agency and consequences" moment that really made it stand out from other AAA titles.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

lenoon posted:

I still love that game but I can never force myself to play it again. Sometimes I'll get as far as actually turning on the dreamcast and booting it up, but then I just think... "oh christ that demon boss fight will happen again" and I get really pissed off with it.

Also, I could never, ever get good enough at the fighting system to make it fun, usually those sections were just a reloading slog and were incredibly super tedious. The game itself is great, it's just the :effort: feeling i have about trying it again that stops me from enjoying it for the 3rd? 4th? run

I dunno if it's because I'm a dumb-dumb or what, but as much as I loved Omikron I could never get anywhere at all with it. Maybe I'll grab the GoG version and see if I'm any smarter these days.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Mister Adequate posted:

I dunno if it's because I'm a dumb-dumb or what, but as much as I loved Omikron I could never get anywhere at all with it. Maybe I'll grab the GoG version and see if I'm any smarter these days.

No, see, the problem is that Omikron just doesn't make a goddamn ounce of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mind the walrus posted:

It's been said but I love that in Human Revolution your character is told to get a move on and get a hostage rescue mission started, and while you're free to explore the big Sarif HQ building if you take too long you get told you hosed up by taking too long and the hostages are dead. I don't think the game had too many moments like that but it was a very nice "we're treating you, the player, as an adult with agency and consequences" moment that really made it stand out from other AAA titles.

I think the only other point where anything similar happens is when Malik is under attack and if you don't kill all the bad guys quick enough then she dies. Otherwise you're free to dick around and do whatever you want, no matter how urgent they say it is.