Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

theadder posted:

i thought the same even with the edited version

people dont know how to talk an awkward compliments its a hosed up world we live in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
good to see oompa loompas finding stable work after getting laid off at the wonka factory

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis posted:

$210 nzd for one.

thanks.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

people dont know how to talk an awkward compliments its a hosed up world we live in

maybe its the special energy u contribute to each post

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
I too hoard flax

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:xd:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i bought a hitachi 4tb and have yet to install it (waiting to get a new mobo and stuff to go with it)

someday i won't have to worry about disk space. some day.

god drat 700mb tiff files.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

cat /dev/zero > /youreposts.txt :xd:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

anybody dealing in video are still buying spinning hard drives because it's still the best way to medium term store what you shoot (3-10 years) on the shelf.

imagine it like tapes and production companies just budget monthly $xxx amount on the tapes they are going to buy.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

then you have to either

a) hire a monkey to transfer all the files to newer drives to maintain the the archive

b) say gently caress it because you only cut ads and don't need any of what you shot because it's all going to be out dated and you only backup the final finished videos if you want a good laugh to see poo poo you did 10 years ago that is all kinds of bad.

c) buy LTO and do a third migration to longer term storage (about 30 years)

long term backup of files is still an issue for warner brothers and other big movie companies. they were printing digital stuff to film and storing it in the vault not too Long ago.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
baking to a tape drive is a good idea for long term storage. the company i work at doesn't do it, but i think they should. i didn't think about how dangerous it is to depend on SSD for long term, but yeah if the drive crashes it all is ruined compared to a regular HDD that can be recoverable. i'm not sure the same is true for fusion drives, and i'd say the future of a RAID 1 configuration would be fusion

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

So whats a good 'prosumer' NAS to fill up with these lil cuties?

hp microserver

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

depend on SSD for long term,
lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

coffeetable posted:

lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
4t's are pimpin but i dont need that much.

the bus has 2x 2tb's in a mirror, works4me

sd rips of Oz are small, im good

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

pro choice

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Jonny 290 posted:

4t's are pimpin but i dont need that much.

the bus has 2x 2tb's in a mirror, works4me

lol if you store any video that's not camera source or the source for rendering deliverables. (Prores, DNxHD, DPX sequence)

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

delete all consumer deliverables because when it comes time to pull it out again you'll need to render from your encoding master to whatever codec flavor of the year.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

get ready for the HEVC v VP9 wars

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i just want to see more of that webM

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

baking to a tape drive is a good idea for long term storage. the company i work at doesn't do it, but i think they should. i didn't think about how dangerous it is to depend on SSD for long term, but yeah if the drive crashes it all is ruined compared to a regular HDD that can be recoverable. i'm not sure the same is true for fusion drives, and i'd say the future of a RAID 1 configuration would be fusion
reminder that data on flash memory fades with time so you can't toss your flash media in a safe and still read it years later. jedec standards say it has to be readable for 1 year after the rated number of write cycles, but none of that memory has been around a year yet to test with confidence and theres a good chance you bought a poo poo flash drive with garbage nand.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Alereon posted:

reminder that data on flash memory fades with time so you can't toss your flash media in a safe and still read it years later. jedec standards say it has to be readable for 1 year after the rated number of write cycles, but none of that memory has been around a year yet to test with confidence and theres a good chance you bought a poo poo flash drive with garbage nand.

there is a process of refreshing the drive, which i think just means supply power to it for a moment. couldn't you use some sort of battery attached to them to keep them active long term?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Apocadall posted:

there is a process of refreshing the drive, which i think just means supply power to it for a moment. couldn't you use some sort of battery attached to them to keep them active long term?
well sure if the drive is powered-on the controller is going to be taking care of that for you, but that means connected to a running system, not just periodically powered. the only way occasional power would help is if you rewrote the data then shut the drive off for another few months.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
we're still in the ancient days of higher capacity solid state storage. we're all going to be laughing at this once we have SSD's that redundantly copies it's data holographically across other virtual drives in innerspace 10 years from now

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

virtual drives in innerspace

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i've heard about people getting totally fuct over by tape storage. is that usually down to "didn't check to make sure your tape drive wasn't just writing garbage"* or do tapes also fail over time?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"didn't check to make sure your tape drive wasn't just writing garbage"*

much like my psotinggggggggggg

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i've heard about people getting totally fuct over by tape storage. is that usually down to "didn't check to make sure your tape drive wasn't just writing garbage"* or do tapes also fail over time?

tapes, like anything else, can degrade over time, sure. but I think a lot of people never actually test their backups in the first place

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Alereon posted:

wd cuts rpm down to 5400 to cheaply cram 1.2tb on a platter and puts five of them in
WD's been doing 5-platter at 7200 for a while now. rotation speed wasn't a factor, all of the Red drives just happen to be that speed due to heat concerns in NAS enclosures

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

isnt hitachi WD now anyway

or actually arent they supposed to be toshiba?
Relationship status: It's complicated

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

this might still be accurate?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

technically the WD HGST acquisition still hasn't been completed due to CHINA

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

wanna see one of those but for server/controller manufacturers which properly documents the falling out between IBM and adaptec which i think happened but may have dreamt

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I love my Atto r680 raid controller, get like 600+ MegaBytes (base2, the real ones) per second in RAID 5.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i had an adaptec 1430sa with four wd green 1.5tb drives in RAID10 which i ran for just over 5 years. that poo poo was solid, even survived several upgrades and OS reinstalls. i retired the controller last month as i started having driver issues (adaptec eol'd it ages ago so there aren't never drivers). the HDDs are still running perfectly though. component failures are for suckers imo

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Its weird how all the worst manufacturers ended up being absorbed by seagate

maxtor was the poor-tier HDD manufacturer in the day and all of the ones I saw would inevitably end up noisy/overheating/unreliable within a year

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

WD's been doing 5-platter at 7200 for a while now. rotation speed wasn't a factor, all of the Red drives just happen to be that speed due to heat concerns in NAS enclosures
the main point of that post was to compare and contrast ways of getting to 6tb, and wd needs 5400rpm to hit that point now because lower rotation speed means lower angular velocity of the platter surface, improving snr and thus areal density (i know you know all this i am explaining for the benefit of others). so yeah wd can cram 5 platters into a drive at 7200rpm no problem, but those will be 800gb platters for a total drive capacity of 4tb.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

platter chat

is there anything different about platters now versus platters back in the days of 30MB drives? could i take a platter from that drive and put it in a new drive and have the same capacity?

i know there's perpendicular recording but i thought that was more a feature of the read/write head

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
swsp would probably know more but i am pretty sure almost nothing about the platters is the same. they use a new lighter substrate (ceramic based for awhile but I'm not sure if it still is) with a lower coefficient of thermal expension, a new magnetic recording medium (it used to be iron oxide) with higher magnetic coercivity, and you need a new soft magnetic layer under the recording medium for perpendicular recording to work. im not sure about shingled recording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

platter chat

is there anything different about platters now versus platters back in the days of 30MB drives? could i take a platter from that drive and put it in a new drive and have the same capacity?

i know there's perpendicular recording but i thought that was more a feature of the read/write head

3,600rpm -> 7,200rpm probably wouldn't be pretty

• Locked thread