Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DStecks posted:

Transistor is one of the most inventive games I've played in a very long time, but holy poo poo what a clusterfuck of a story.

People who have played Transistor, could you please answer for me any of these questions:
-What did the Camerada want?
-What were the Camerada trying to do?
-How/why did the Process go rogue? If it was because the Camerada took the Transistor out of its cradle, why did they do that?
-Why is the identity of the Transistor presented as a mystery when Red knows exactly who it is? And it's not even a reveal of any kind?
-What exactly did the Camerada need Red's voice for?
-Why did killing Red's lover cause the Camerada to lose control of the Transistor?

Hi hello my name is Oxxidation and I will be your Transistor Story Answer Person for the day.

To understand the Camerata, you need to understand Cloudbank. The city is basically Web 2.0 presented on an architectural scale, where absolutely everything, from the buildings to the culture to the weather, is subject to a Facebook-Like-ish popular vote where everyone gets a say. The Camerata were a small, tightly-knit group of the city's elite who were tired of the city's transient nature and wanted to find a way to create a "voice of the few" system where the most successful/famous/talented people of Cloudbank held the most power. The mastermind behind the Camerata was Grant Kendrell, who came up with the idea after being questioned/inspired by influential journalist/blogger Asher. But the heart of it was Royce Brackett, a famous architect and mathematician who, in a fugue-like state during his research, somehow discovered the coordinate system behind Cloudbank's layout and "calculated" his way to a place that shouldn't actually exist. That was the dead-black area where you meet Royce at the end of the game, the cradle of the Transistor.

The Transistor was basically the admin key for the entire city - not only did it have meticulously recorded information of every Cloudbank citizen, it could even assimilate their remnant biology into itself and turn it into various programs, or Functions, capable of manipulating the city itself. It also kept the Process in check, the "program" that did all the construction and alteration of the city. Royce was obsessed with architecture - the reason he joined the Camerata in the first place was because he was sick of all his carefully constructed buildings being voted out in favor of something new every few months - and so he brought the Process to "center stage," turning them from a benign background program to actual, manifest creatures which embodied the various jobs they performed through the city (Jerks demolish, Creeps alter, Snapshots record). But after extended study, the Process actually started to adapt to the people studying them - you had Youngladies, which resembled humans, Fetches, which were psychotically violent and seemingly served no other purpose beyond savaging people, and finally the Men, which basically were a human-replacement Process. The Men creeped out Royce so much he developed the Transistor's Limiters to keep the Process in check, but by then the wheels had already started to turn.

Royce sympathized with Grant's cause and threw in with him, lending the Transistor to Grant. By assembling the remnants of the most influential people in Cloudbank, they hoped to gain unfettered access to the city, creating it the way that they, the Camerata, wanted it to be. Sybil Reisz was basically their hitman for this job, using her social functions as a way to get close to the Camerata's targets and draw them in. Red was Sybil's latest target, but she started to develop an unhealthy, possibly romantic, obsession with Red after she didn't act all chummy with her (because Red does not give a poo poo about anyone besides Blue/Mr. Nobody). Sybil realized this, and hatched a plan of her own - she'd set up the Camerata to assimilate Red into the Transistor, telling them she'd be alone but knowing that Blue would be nearby. He'd take the bullet, Red would be alone, and then Sybil would either talk her over to their side or get to preen over her mind-fragment in the Transistor for as long as she liked.

That's where everything got horribly hosed up. Unbeknownst to everyone, Blue was one of the few, possibly the only, person in Cloudbank who never registered on their census databanks - he had no career Selections ("Still figuring things out"), remarking at one point that he'd been putting it off, unsure of what he wanted to be. That's why the Transistor had no idea what he was, and why Blue's assimilation ruined everything; it was like feeding an NAN value into an otherwise normal equation, and caused the entire Transistor to crash. Three things followed - Red, who only got grazed, lost her voice; Blue, who couldn't be "sorted" into the Transistor's categories, remained awake and aware inside the blade; and the Transistor itself freaked out and tried to "reboot," stripping admin access from the Camerata and attempting to warp itself, Red, and Blue back to the Cradle. It didn't make it all the way, and when Red grabbed the Transistor, it recognized her as the new admin. But only Grant and Royce knew how to use the Transistor to keep the Process in check, so they immediately went feral, and well, then everything was terrible forever.

Ok there are your answers hope you liked them byyeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

You missed a bit, but there is a lot open to interpretation. I'll break it down as much as I can remember.

Oxxidation posted:

Ok there are your answers hope you liked them byyeeee

OK, that all makes sense, but is that all supposed to be deduced from the function inspects?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

DStecks posted:

OK, that all makes sense, but is that all supposed to be deduced from the function inspects?

It's in there, and some of it is explained better if you wander off the beaten path in some areas. The game's story is pretty vague and open to interpretation still. Such as me and Oxxidation having different statements on who the Camerata are.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DStecks posted:

Transistor's got the Dark Souls thing going where the plot's all in fragments but everything, from flavor text to offhand lines to item descriptions, hooks up in some way. There's still room for interpretation in a lot of areas, but the general story takes shape pretty well, especially in regards to all the computer metaphors.

The Function data actually doesn't tell you a whole lot in comparison; the only really important ones are Red's, Blue's, and the Camerata Traces. The others are all just reiterations of the same story: "this person went to the Naughty Zone and the Camerata ganked they rear end." They tell you a lot more about the society/culture of Cloudbank than anything plot-relevant.

Mokinokaro posted:

It's in there, and some of it is explained better if you wander off the beaten path in some areas. The game's story is pretty vague and open to interpretation still. Such as me and Oxxidation having different statements on who the Camerata are.

For what it's worth your take on them doesn't really hold up, since Grant was the only "maintenance" guy of the four - the other three were a socialite, a blogger, and a nerd - and Royce explicitly says that he found the Transistor, not that he developed it. Definitely rejiggered it some, though.

Oxxidation has a new favorite as of 03:40 on Jul 27, 2014

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RBA Starblade posted:

The wiimote isn't very good, and when I aimed left or right it'd go offscreen eventually and I'd have to recalibrate. I'd rather just play it with a standard controller.

I legitimately wonder what causes the variance in Wiimote/sensor quality. I've heard opinions ranging from "works perfectly 99% of the time" all the way to "literally doesn't work ever gently caress this garbage". I'm in the former category, personally.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I guess my problem with Transistor's storytelling is that it wants to have an enigmatic, exploration-based story in game that is both A) completely linear, and B) heavily plot-driven.

Exploration-based storytelling worked in games like Myst and Gone Home because by the time the game started, the story was effectively over, you were just picking up the pieces. You could uncover the mystery at your own pace, letting the parts of the puzzle fall into place. Transistor shoves you at 50mph down a corridor, directing you to visit Mr. Whosit and Mrs. What, neither of whom you know the first thing about beyond that they're bad. Things are happening for no obvious reason, and you're not going to get the plot at all unless you're spending more time reading than actually playing. The fact of the matter is that Transistor is plotted like a thriller, and you just can't reconcile that with a subtle, up-for-interpretation, exploration-based story.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

I legitimately wonder what causes the variance in Wiimote/sensor quality. I've heard opinions ranging from "works perfectly 99% of the time" all the way to "literally doesn't work ever gently caress this garbage". I'm in the former category, personally.

I've heard a LOT of it depends on how you set up the sensor bar and calibrate it. If you get it set up right, it works excellently.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

John Murdoch posted:

Depends on the application, I guess. Metroid Prime worked perfectly for me once I realized that pointing the remote away from the screen entirely would just stop you outright. It's still intuitive enough, just in a way somewhat differently from a mouse & keyboard.

On the other hand, Skyward Sword was a completely nonsensical mess and only makes sense once you realize that it doesn't actually function like a sword whatsoever. It works just like clicking a button, only in a convoluted manner that's inferior to just using a regular drat controller.

e: I think that in hindsight it's fair to say that the Wiimote was the Thing Dragging Lots of Games Down. The best you could say about it most of the time is that it was relatively unobtrusive, except even in games like Super Mario Galaxy it relegated a critical game mechanic (spin attack) to the waggle rather than just using a loving button. It's pretty telling that the primary controller for the successor console is very much a normal controller with a really cool screen inset.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 04:34 on Jul 27, 2014

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

I've heard a LOT of it depends on how you set up the sensor bar and calibrate it. If you get it set up right, it works excellently.

I guess I set mine up properly because I thought RE4 was a blast on it. The one problem I had was the big neon green and red reticle was obnoxious and took me out of the game completely.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also, don't have a window behind the wiimote, since sunlight will wash out the IR beacons in the sensor bar.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Windows, framed art, CRT screens, and other reflective surfaces in the room (not necessarily even near the sensor bar or Wii Remote) can screw with it. That said, I've found that some games handle shiny stuff better than others.

Wii Sports is a mess roughly 50% of the time regardless of how the room is set up, but I don't think much of that has to do with the IR sensor.

The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return is fairly accurate once you cover up/remove shiny poo poo and set up the sensor bar correctly, but still manages to be off by just a little bit during most gameplay.

Pandora's Tower seems like it handles the "point at the screen" bits fairly well regardless of the drapes being drawn.

Link's Crossbow Training, which came bundled with the Wii Zapper, responds loving wonderfully, giving you insane precision, even if you're playing in a funhouse mirror room with a transparent ceiling at noon on a clear day.

Dragon Quest Swords is the same as Link's Crossbow Training--really good.

Corruption and a handful of other games I've tried with the same exact setup just seem committed to loving up. They get all uncalibrated, lose the pointer (which in some games stops the action immediately), or just spaz out no matter how well you try to set things up in the room and tinker with the sensor bar.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Sometimes Okami worked well with the wii-mote, and sometimes it was like "Not today!" and you'd just gently caress up a line or something.
Okamiden handled it a lot better since it feels more natural that you draw it on a screen. Of course I'm still mad at how that game handles it's final quarter. The point of no return is still pretty ridiculous too me - though I guess its more for game limitations than anything.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The PS Move controllers were pretty dang accurate and responsive.
They were also PS Move controllers :(
I just wanted beefed-up, decent controlling Wii games from it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

One reason I hesitated before purchasing Avadon 2, was reading a post from the creator savaging a fan who dared suggest that all the combat with spiders, rats, bats etc in 1 was a bit pointless. Rats are the foundation of old school RPGs, you know.

And Avadon 2 certainly shows it. Rats, giant rats, rabid rats, frenzied rats, diseased rats, scorching rats, summoned rats, guardian rats, freezing rats, plague rats, poison rats, lava rats, void rats, space rats, elite rats, laser rats, rats galore.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Avernum 4-6 have lean on one mechanic wayyy to hard. Poison. Every enemy poisons you, bandits. slimes, bosses, bats, goblins, undead, immobile turrets, slugs, and of course, rats. You have to useyour priest's turns curing almost every round, which quickly loses it's charm. The best enemies are ones that poison you and are practically immune to everything but magic damage, which is seriously annoying when you only have one dedicated priest and one dedicated mage in your party along with two melee users.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jaramin posted:

Avernum 4-6 have lean on one mechanic wayyy to hard. Poison. Every enemy poisons you, bandits. slimes, bosses, bats, goblins, undead, immobile turrets, slugs, and of course, rats. You have to useyour priest's turns curing almost every round, which quickly loses it's charm. The best enemies are ones that poison you and are practically immune to everything but magic damage, which is seriously annoying when you only have one dedicated priest and one dedicated mage in your party along with two melee users.

The turret sections drag down pretty much every Spiderweb game that has them (which is most of them). They're pretty much all unfun slogs.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I've just reached a story mission in Assassins Creed 4 that makes me think that everyone involved in the design, programming and playtesting of it is literally a retarded person.

The game gives you all these cool gadgets and a nice flowing fighting system and they get turned of for this shitstorm because you aren't allowed to kill anyone on this mission despite slaughtering a bunch of the same group of people already. Add to that the fact that if you are detected it is an insta-fail and restart from the widely spaced checkpoints.

So there's a bunch of tedious creeping through shrubs to avoid patrols and avoid getting hosed by the inconsistent enemy line of sight detection. Then you get to the person you have to meet to complete a mission objective but the game keeps going on in the background rather than it going to a cutscene so you have to still avoid detection while they ramble on about some bullshit all whilst standing completely out in the open being entirely ignored by the same enemies that can still make you instantly fail the mission if they see you.

How anyone could think to design something like this is bewildering and how anyone could let it get through playtesting is amazing. It is anti-fun and nearly made me quit the game completely. I gave up on Far Cry 3 because it had literally exactly the same mission at one point in the game.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

spudsbuckley posted:

I've just reached a story mission in Assassins Creed 4 that makes me think that everyone involved in the design, programming and playtesting of it is literally a retarded person.

The game gives you all these cool gadgets and a nice flowing fighting system and they get turned of for this shitstorm because you aren't allowed to kill anyone on this mission despite slaughtering a bunch of the same group of people already. Add to that the fact that if you are detected it is an insta-fail and restart from the widely spaced checkpoints.

So there's a bunch of tedious creeping through shrubs to avoid patrols and avoid getting hosed by the inconsistent enemy line of sight detection. Then you get to the person you have to meet to complete a mission objective but the game keeps going on in the background rather than it going to a cutscene so you have to still avoid detection while they ramble on about some bullshit all whilst standing completely out in the open being entirely ignored by the same enemies that can still make you instantly fail the mission if they see you.

How anyone could think to design something like this is bewildering and how anyone could let it get through playtesting is amazing. It is anti-fun and nearly made me quit the game completely. I gave up on Far Cry 3 because it had literally exactly the same mission at one point in the game.

Is that the one where you meet with the Kid or whatever in the jungle?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

scarycave posted:

Is that the one where you meet with the Kid or whatever in the jungle?

Yup.

Did a quick google out of curiosity and it is pretty widely disliked so i'm glad i'm not alone.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

spudsbuckley posted:

Yup.

Did a quick google out of curiosity and it is pretty widely disliked so i'm glad i'm not alone.

If it's any consolation I think there's only a couple like that (though still way too many of the dumb tailing missions.)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Skyward Sword and its control scheme is the most frustrating and awful thing I've ever done in a video game

One of my friends swears up and down that they're amazing. :iiam:

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
The thing that killed Assassin's Creed IV for me was tailing ships. While that isn't too bad on its own, it's a kick in the teeth when you're shooting for 100% syncro and you have to complete bonus objectives. I basically had about a foot of space in which to sail where enemy ships wouldn't be alerted or whatever, it was horrible. Also I can't hit 100% in Story Mode because I do not have one of those nifty online passes; I bought the game for my sibling and the pass that came with the game is locked to her account. :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You should be able to just go online to whatever store is relevant to your platform and download the online pass because they made it free shortly after the game came out.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Client side hit detection, I know it'll be a strain on the servers for serverside hit detection blah blah, but I can still bitch about it. Its especially bad in Planetside 2 where you can get hit, duck for cover and like 2 seconds later hear 4 pings of being headshotted and die and 100% of the damage is done by the guy who originally shot you cause on his side he were standing around like a turkey with their mouth open. Or see a grenade land next to you, run off and still die despite being 2 buildings away cause on the throwers client you sat still and was hit by the explosion. Today it was really bad when I saw 4 players peek into a building, then dive for cover and still died a few seconds later. This also has stupid poo poo where you kill a guy and actually see him fall down and see the "killed" message pop up just to die yourself to him a second later.

Its also bad when you drop 2 c4 on a tank, blow it and only one or even better none of the c4 does damage. On the flip side, being in an air vehicle, get locked onto, go "see ya later shitlords" and fly off, only to not still have someone locking onto you but actually hitting you cause on his screen you sat still while he locked onto you.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?
I just finished a first-run playthrough of Eternal Sonata on 360 and started on Encore Mode. Every enemy has higher HP and attacks harder...and all of your characters' levels are reset to minimum. You also don't get to keep any items, weapons, armor, or gold from your prior run. And there are things in the game that only exist during Encore mode. I don't have the patience, especially not after reading about the PS3 version with more content. I'll just wait until I get a cheap PS3 and pick the game up there, and maybe the second-run slog won't feel as bad.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

QuietLion posted:

The thing that killed Assassin's Creed IV for me was tailing ships. While that isn't too bad on its own, it's a kick in the teeth when you're shooting for 100% syncro and you have to complete bonus objectives. I basically had about a foot of space in which to sail where enemy ships wouldn't be alerted or whatever, it was horrible. Also I can't hit 100% in Story Mode because I do not have one of those nifty online passes; I bought the game for my sibling and the pass that came with the game is locked to her account. :(

It was pretty dumb how you could enter some of those ship tailing spots from the wrong direction and instantly lose because of it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rick_Hunter posted:

It's not at hard as you think it is. You only have to secure one of the power sources to make it to the next level. The game is all about exploiting the Rock-Paper-Scissors dynamic of the game and making sure that the Vagyr BC cannot turn to bring it's Trinity Cannon into any fight. Once your bombers have taken care of the BC engines, you can put them on a bombing run on another ship and then turn back. Once you take care of the shipyard and the heavier ships, you can usually finish the rest of that level with ease. Barring that, you can build up a supply of platforms and throw them at the enemy for additional firepower or as a distraction. Just make sure you put their location near where the fighting is or it will be a waste.

Unpatched, you can end up facing an enemy fleet that'll blow all three sources before you can get anywhere close enough to shoot at them. They tweaked it in 1.1, though.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
A couple years back I got Sequence on sale for like three bucks because I like rhythm games and I'm only just now getting around to playing it and hoo boy does this game have some problems.

- There shouldn't even be a story to begin with, but if it were largely inoffensive it would get a pass. Unfortunately, it's this really weird trying-too-hard "snarky relatable guy" self-insert love(?) and MY HEROIC STRUGGLE story with a bunch of stilted dialogue and uncomfortably emotionless voice acting, which thankfully you can turn off. It plays like an awful JRPG fan fiction, and you can tell that the guy who wrote it thinks he's really clever. Any time there's a speech bubble you're going to get something eye-rolling at best or cringeworthy at worst. It doesn't help that you have to look at the smug protagonist during every fight and try not to get distracted by how mindbendingly generic he is.
- The RPG system is needlessly tacked on. There's no depth to it, even compared to other vaguely similar games like Puzzle Quest, and for whatever reason there's a material grinding system tacked onto the whole thing to boot. In addition to having to get enough drops, you also have to spend experience points in order to raise the chance of crafting something; luckily you don't lose the materials if you fail, but you can go down levels from spending too much XP which is a huge pain.
- The grinding for items exasperates the third problem, which is that the song selection is pretty drat sparse. There are seven floors, and three enemies to choose from on each. Each enemy on the first floor has its own song, the first boss introduces another one, and then the second floor... introduces no new ones at all. You'll be hearing pretty much the same songs for the entire length of the game, which would be fine if you only had to beat any given enemy once, but the item and experience grind makes sure that's not the case.
- The songs themselves just aren't that great. The game is really proud that it licensed music from Ronald Jenkees, this old Youtube star whose entire schtick is "goofy looking/sounding guy who can play ~totally epic~ keyboard riffs." He's a nice enough dude and can write a decent hook but when your gimmick is "sounds good for 20 seconds" and you're forced to listen to a bunch of meandering jam session-y stuff over and over it's just not super engaging. The other artist on the soundtrack is probably just whoever's friends with the dev because it's in sort of the same style, but even less notable.

I've always been a huge fan of DDR, and Stepmania + being a lazy kid meant I got really good playing the songs on controller, so it's exactly my kind of game. Managing three fields of play with differing levels of importance makes for a hectic but really rewarding experience, and managing between defense and offense in real time feels a lot like what ATB in Final Fantasy has been trying to do for years. That being said, it's a shame that literally everything surrounding the core gameplay is unimaginably terrible because it ruins an otherwise clever concept.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I just finished a first-run playthrough of Eternal Sonata on 360 and started on Encore Mode. Every enemy has higher HP and attacks harder...and all of your characters' levels are reset to minimum. You also don't get to keep any items, weapons, armor, or gold from your prior run. And there are things in the game that only exist during Encore mode. I don't have the patience, especially not after reading about the PS3 version with more content. I'll just wait until I get a cheap PS3 and pick the game up there, and maybe the second-run slog won't feel as bad.

I'm surprised you had the patience to get through that game once.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

RyokoTK posted:

I'm surprised you had the patience to get through that game once.

Gotta love the scene where one of the characters gets mortally wounded and talks nonstop for 20 minutes while dying, the ending cutscene is even worse, forty five minutes of talk, and none of it makes any sense!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The Sims 3: why is there no option to disable the opening cutscene? I don't mean the three unskippable ones (EA logo, Maxis logo, The Sims 3 logo), but the actual opening cutscene which can and will always be skipped. Right now, if I launch the game and go grab a drink or to the bathroom, when I come back it's still the middle of the opening cutscene, and then I have to manually skip it and wait until the main menu loads. It would be much better if I could just launch the game, go grab a drink, and come back to the already loaded main menu.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Mikl posted:

The Sims 3: why is there no option to disable the opening cutscene? I don't mean the three unskippable ones (EA logo, Maxis logo, The Sims 3 logo), but the actual opening cutscene which can and will always be skipped. Right now, if I launch the game and go grab a drink or to the bathroom, when I come back it's still the middle of the opening cutscene, and then I have to manually skip it and wait until the main menu loads. It would be much better if I could just launch the game, go grab a drink, and come back to the already loaded main menu.

I just googled it thinking it might be as simple as it is for Sim City 4 (adding -intro:off to the shortcut path) but unfortunately, it's not. There are mods for it, though, apparently.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
All of the stupid-rear end online poo poo, social media integration, and DLC hooks ruined the Sims 3 for me. Especially because so much of it was added in later patches. I'm an adult, my friends on Facebook don't want spam notifications from EA, and I don't care if they make a bunch of expansions, but don't show me poo poo that I need to pay real money for in the in-game menus.

I just like making hosed-up sims, and seeing how well the game copes with my concept. Which is usually very well, the core elements of the Sims games are loving solid, but all this bullshit is keeping me from wanting to buy or play another EA game ever again.

I would seriously be fine with paying 50 bucks every 5 years or so for the same game with incremental gameplay/graphic upgrades. Thanks for making GBS threads on part of your old fanbase, EA.

edit: This goes doubly so for Sim City. Although when I get the urge to play a management sim these days, Crusader Kings II and Master of Orion 2 have basically overtaken my love of Maxis games.

Twitch has a new favorite as of 18:22 on Jul 28, 2014

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Mikl posted:

I'm guessing its the same reason Civ 5 Vanilla had an unskippable cutscene: They're trying to hide a loading bar behind the cutscene. Which is stupid. Just show me the bar so I can see how long I have to wait, instead of forcing me to mash the spacebar or escape key the entire time.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Away all Goats posted:

I'm guessing its the same reason Civ 5 Vanilla had an unskippable cutscene: They're trying to hide a loading bar behind the cutscene. Which is stupid. Just show me the bar so I can see how long I have to wait, instead of forcing me to mash the spacebar or escape key the entire time.

I don't think this is the case, since it takes the exact same time to load the main menu if you skip the cutscene as it takes if you let the cutscene run its course (yes I'm a big enough :spergin: to have timed this shut up).

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I love RPG games. I love JRPG games, even if they're anime as gently caress. You know what I don't like? Playing through like 3/4ths of a game only to find out I've gimped myself by putting my skill points in poo poo that apparently doesn't have any effect on the game. I shouldn't have to research games before I play them just to make sure I'm not going to make the game unplayable for myself if I choose the wrong skill tree to want to play with.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Sociopastry posted:

I love RPG games. I love JRPG games, even if they're anime as gently caress. You know what I don't like? Playing through like 3/4ths of a game only to find out I've gimped myself by putting my skill points in poo poo that apparently doesn't have any effect on the game. I shouldn't have to research games before I play them just to make sure I'm not going to make the game unplayable for myself if I choose the wrong skill tree to want to play with.

I hate this to. I never pick anything but warrior builds in RPGs because it's usually simpler and I know that in those games straight fighting is always a viable option. I don't ever pick any kind of magic or thief builds because I'm afraid I'll like build a ice Mage the whole game then the last half of it everyone is ice immune or something.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Which is a shame, because I loving love thief builds. One of the worst games for that was Dragon Age. If you didn't build your rogue or mage exactly right, you were pretty much hosed.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Absolutely once I tried a thief dual wield build and the guy I created pretty much became a liability I had to work around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I would love it if Final Fantasy Theathrhythm made it so you didn't get crystal drops for crystals you don't need anymore. At least I'm pretty sure it is dropping them, since it fills in that slot on the boss' drop list with whatever now useless crystal I didn't need. I just want to unlock the last four characters I don't have without it taking a million years!