Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

UberJumper posted:

Does anyone have a good chemical/oil processing setup? I know someone posted a really nice modular setup but after going through the last 20 pages i cannot find it.

You mean this one?

http://lpix.org/1746792/dawdwdaw.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

Play -> Custom Scenario -> base/Sandbox

The control.lua file from that scenario (/data/base/scenarios/sandbox) can be copied to a different scenario if that map gets stale.

The relevant commands to remove the character and enable controller god mode are:

code:
require "defines"
  if character then character.destroy() end
  game.player.setcontroller{type=defines.controllers.god}
Controller mode is read only via the console but spectator mode appears to do the same thing, allowing you to interact with anything on screen regardless of distance:

code:
character = game.player.character
game.player.character = nil -- disconnect the character, player will gain ghost view
game.player.character = character -- connect player to the character again
Ghost view leaves your avatar motionless and (I think) vulnerable to attack. Issuing the character.destroy() command will remove it permanently if you save the map. edit: The entity itself is destroyed so this may be permanent.

To create a scenario, either make a map in the map editor and save it, or use an existing map and convert it with this command (via command prompt):

\path\to\factorio.exe --map2scenario [map name]

This has been crashing my Factorio lately, so YMMV.

e: words

snooman fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 26, 2014

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So I was loving around in Factorio and decided to see how small of a space I could squeeze a Steel Plate processing production line into. Then I had a brainwave.

It takes raw Iron ore on the left, and deposits it on the conveyer to the right. You can see the filters on the two rightmost inserters, and the logic for the leftmost ones are as follows:

Top > 4 Iron Plates in the crate.
Bottom < 3 Iron Plates in the crate.

Basically the logic stops more ore from being inserted into the furnace once the required number for a Steel Plate have been forged, then once the first plate from the box enters the furnace it switches the furnace to Steel production until the Steel Plate is finished, at which point it becomes available for Iron production again.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
You don't need that belt up there. Inserters will drop off onto and pick up off of the naked ground.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Using inserters instead of conveyor belts is a fun way to make a gigantic rube goldberg machine! Try it oUUTTT!

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004
I can't follow this. How does the logic stop more iron ore being dumped into the furnace when you want to switch to steel? It seems like the iron ore inserter doesn't have any logic on it.

I also don't see why you need the steel logic inserter - surely you want it to take ANY steel you produce and remove it?

Caveat: I haven't got up to logic yet, so maybe I just don't understand how they work.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

boatiemathmo posted:

I can't follow this. How does the logic stop more iron ore being dumped into the furnace when you want to switch to steel? It seems like the iron ore inserter doesn't have any logic on it.

I also don't see why you need the steel logic inserter - surely you want it to take ANY steel you produce and remove it?

Caveat: I haven't got up to logic yet, so maybe I just don't understand how they work.

Because the furnace also produces iron, and you don't want to pull that out via the steel exit

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

boatiemathmo posted:

See how the read wire connects the leftmost inserters to the chest? when a red wire is set up you can specify a condition for operation for connected Smart Inserters. The conditions are:

Top > 4 Iron Plates in the crate. (i.e. when there are enough iron plates to craft a single Steel Plate, dump them into the furnace)
Bottom < 3 Iron Plates in the crate. (i.e. stop putting in ore when there are 3 plates in the crate, which happens to coincide with there also being on plate undergoing smelting in the furnace, plus 1-2 iron ore preloaded onto the furnace, for a total of minimum 5 iron plates, allowing for steel smelting)

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The question is, do blueprints preserve logistics logic?

Like, I'm not manually wiring up a 50 furnace system.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Phobophilia posted:

The question is, do blueprints preserve logistics logic?

Like, I'm not manually wiring up a 50 furnace system.

Yarp.

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004

Breetai posted:

See how the read wire connects the leftmost inserters to the chest? when a red wire is set up you can specify a condition for operation for connected Smart Inserters. The conditions are:

Top > 4 Iron Plates in the crate. (i.e. when there are enough iron plates to craft a single Steel Plate, dump them into the furnace)
Bottom < 3 Iron Plates in the crate. (i.e. stop putting in ore when there are 3 plates in the crate, which happens to coincide with there also being on plate undergoing smelting in the furnace, plus 1-2 iron ore preloaded onto the furnace, for a total of minimum 5 iron plates, allowing for steel smelting)

Aaah, thank you. For some reason I had my left and right confused - and I didn't know the red wire was logic. I assume that was some sort of advanced power pole or something.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
In my game at random power lines seem to be randomly un-wiring themselves, It is really weird and makes absolutely no sense. I was somewhat confused when my walls started to get destroyed by the aliens, only to start wandering over there and notice a big chunk of my power lines completely unwired. I though i accidently hit shift, and unwired them.

But i just wandered away and setup some more steam boilers, and suddenly all the power lines from my smelter are gone:

If i reload my save they show up for awhile, but eventually they just randomly start unwiring themselves.

Anyone run into this issue before?

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

UberJumper posted:

In my game at random power lines seem to be randomly un-wiring themselves, It is really weird and makes absolutely no sense. I was somewhat confused when my walls started to get destroyed by the aliens, only to start wandering over there and notice a big chunk of my power lines completely unwired. I though i accidently hit shift, and unwired them.

But i just wandered away and setup some more steam boilers, and suddenly all the power lines from my smelter are gone:

If i reload my save they show up for awhile, but eventually they just randomly start unwiring themselves.

Anyone run into this issue before?

I started getting this with the most recent patch, removing the occasional post and replacing it will make the wiring fix itself. It's only a matter of time until other areas lose their wiring as well.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

AuxPriest posted:

I started getting this with the most recent patch, removing the occasional post and replacing it will make the wiring fix itself. It's only a matter of time until other areas lose their wiring as well.

Yeah apparently the developers know about the bug, apparently they will fix it eventually. In other factorio 0.10.4 news, there is a gamebreaking bug when you start using logistics robots. When your robots go outside a certain zone the game crashes.

http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4999

I downgraded back to 10.3.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well that explains all the crashing I'm getting. Thank goodness I keep my savegames in Dropbox.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I've completed the campaign and started a sandbox game to mess around. I'm 20 hours in and getting the hang of it, but I do have a few questions:

- Tier 4 research (purple) requires a hell of a lot of alien artifacts, is there any way to automate nest extermination (and artifact vacuuming) ? Gathering the hundreds of orbs necessary manually will take ages.

- Speaking of nest extermination, my armor is much better at killing bugs than my weapons. What?

- Can't construction bots build stuff themselves if the required materials are present? I guess I can put a provider chest at the end of every single line so nothing is ever missing, but it seems more reasonable for the construction bots to just pick up the thousands of iron plates and gears in storage and construct whatever the blueprint requires.

- Oil production and consumption is pretty weird. I ran out of it near my base, so I figured I'd build a major, self-sufficient outpost in a strategic position, set up a barrel factory, transport every drop of oil in the area, pack it and send it to the main base's refinery complex. Brilliant, except the 10 drills I have right now can only support one, single, solitary barrel assembler; my train runs therefore mostly empty, but the worst part is that even this pathetic output is way more oil than I need. One minute everything's awesome, the next all my storage tanks are full, even with 5 refineries burning 24/7.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

seravid posted:

I've completed the campaign and started a sandbox game to mess around. I'm 20 hours in and getting the hang of it, but I do have a few questions:

- Tier 4 research (purple) requires a hell of a lot of alien artifacts, is there any way to automate nest extermination (and artifact vacuuming) ? Gathering the hundreds of orbs necessary manually will take ages.

No. Get the highest tier combat bots (destroyer capsules?), they make short work of even tier 3 biter nests.

quote:

- Can't construction bots build stuff themselves if the required materials are present? I guess I can put a provider chest at the end of every single line so nothing is ever missing, but it seems more reasonable for the construction bots to just pick up the thousands of iron plates and gears in storage and construct whatever the blueprint requires.

Nope, that would defeat the point of the game.

quote:

- Oil production and consumption is pretty weird. I ran out of it near my base, so I figured I'd build a major, self-sufficient outpost in a strategic position, set up a barrel factory, transport every drop of oil in the area, pack it and send it to the main base's refinery complex. Brilliant, except the 10 drills I have right now can only support one, single, solitary barrel assembler; my train runs therefore mostly empty, but the worst part is that even this pathetic output is way more oil than I need. One minute everything's awesome, the next all my storage tanks are full, even with 5 refineries burning 24/7.

This isn't a question.

But realtalk: Put speed modules in the drills if you want more output and put productivity or speed in the refineries. Ten drills is still a lot even if you're not using more than one assembler.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Some of the intermediate factories produce their thing excessively fast: a single chemical factory can produce enough plastic to supply like eight red chip ASM2s, atleast until you start dicking with modules.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Ten drills being enough for my five refineries is fine, I suppose, but those same ten drills only producing enough oil to support a single barrel-filling assembler (type 2) was surprising and disappointing. When I built the outpost I started with four of these assemblers and room for many, many more; I figured there would be barrels as far as the eye can see, waiting to be loaded in a gigantic train. Turns out one assembler and a mule would have been fine :geno:

I guess I could reduce how much oil a barrel contains.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The worst part is that an oil pipeline is higher-bandwidth, faster, simpler, and cheaper than a rail line, which renders the whole barrel setup obsolete except as an exercise.

Rails require a buttload of steel, engines, fueling for trains, logistical setup, loading and unloading, filling and emptying on both sides...

Pipes just require iron for pipes, and extremely long pipes benefit from a single electric pump, that's it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

The worst part is that an oil pipeline is higher-bandwidth, faster, simpler, and cheaper than a rail line, which renders the whole barrel setup obsolete except as an exercise.

Rails require a buttload of steel, engines, fueling for trains, logistical setup, loading and unloading, filling and emptying on both sides...

Pipes just require iron for pipes, and extremely long pipes benefit from a single electric pump, that's it.

Doing it by rail makes sense if it's both a long distance and you can run something else on the same train.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Doing it by Rail also means i am 99% less likely to accidentally drive over pipes :v:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

UberJumper posted:

Doing it by Rail also means i am 99% less likely to accidentally drive over pipes :v:

On the other hand, it means you're 99% more likely to be hit by a train at some point. :v:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

President Ark posted:

Doing it by rail makes sense if it's both a long distance and you can run something else on the same train.

I guess, but barrels only stack to 8 (10 now that it's base 10 probably? It's been a while)

The (very nearly) infinite bandwidth of Pipes is the main selling point, with the no-hassle logistics being #2. On the other hand, there is "run over your own pipes in a car" which is eventually obviated by wearing 6 exosuits.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Dont pipes have a limit on the amount? Because i know it works that way with water. You cant just keep adding pumps to it.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SpookyLizard posted:

Dont pipes have a limit on the amount? Because i know it works that way with water. You cant just keep adding pumps to it.

It's preposterous, like 200/sec. Use the "make oilwells amazingly overpowered" script and plug one into a tank and time how long it takes to fill.

(If you set a well value to -1, it acts like 576,000/sec)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Evilreaver posted:

I guess, but barrels only stack to 8 (10 now that it's base 10 probably? It's been a while)

The (very nearly) infinite bandwidth of Pipes is the main selling point, with the no-hassle logistics being #2. On the other hand, there is "run over your own pipes in a car" which is eventually obviated by wearing 6 exosuits.

Emphasis on the eventually though! That stuff takes a while to construct and research.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

seravid posted:

- Speaking of nest extermination, my armor is much better at killing bugs than my weapons. What?

Your armor probably have laser turrets in it, and while the medium and big biters are resistant to explosives and gunfire, they have zero resistance to lasers.

Is one of your outputs clogged? Phone posting is broken.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

What I wanted to say, but couldn't because of my phone doubling everything I typed...

If one of your oil refinery outputs are full, the refinery will stop working. So check on that. And filling oil barrels is fast and takes 25 oil, so you only really need a single filler.

It is more effective to run it through pipes though, use underground to help prevent car related accidents. They go pretty far.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Any time anything stops working, click it. Are all the reagents being loaded? Are any outputs backed up? Power level adequate?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

President Ark posted:

On the other hand, it means you're 99% more likely to be hit by a train at some point. :v:

That is why you don't stand on train tracks. Don't do it in games, don't do it in real life. Trains go on train tracks, if you are not a train you do not belong on train tracks.

Dunno-Lars posted:

It is more effective to run it through pipes though, use underground to help prevent car related accidents. They go pretty far.

I think underground pipes actually go further than the number of pipe segments required to make them too which is a little odd.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Neruz posted:

I think underground pipes actually go further than the number of pipe segments required to make them too which is a little odd.

Underground pipe costs 10 pipe (1 iron each) and 10 iron. It reaches the same distance as 11 pipe.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Hmm, maybe it's underground belts then? I could have sworn I added up the pieces required for either UG pipes or belts and discovered that they reached further than the pieces needed to make them.

Maybe I'm just insane :tinfoil:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Neruz posted:

Hmm, maybe it's underground belts then? I could have sworn I added up the pieces required for either UG pipes or belts and discovered that they reached further than the pieces needed to make them.

Maybe I'm just insane :tinfoil:

UG express belts are nice because they only need gears and plates, no lube. If you have a gear supply, its easy to mass produce them by hand.

Other than that :shrug:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Evilreaver posted:

UG express belts are nice because they only need gears and plates, no lube. If you have a gear supply, its easy to mass produce them by hand.

Other than that :shrug:

Maybe that was it. I dunno :shrug:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The day they implement a system that lets you hold-click and drag underground pipes like you can hold-click and drag electrical poles for maximum reach efficiency I'll be a happy man.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Breetai posted:

The day they implement a system that lets you hold-click and drag underground pipes like you can hold-click and drag electrical poles for maximum reach efficiency I'll be a happy man.

Wait what? How do that with electrical poles :stare:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Okay, place an electrical pole but hold the mouse button down instead of just clicking. NOW RUN LIKE THE WIND. You will place poles down at max range where your cursor is from the previous pole!

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Sage Grimm posted:

Okay, place an electrical pole but hold the mouse button down instead of just clicking. NOW RUN LIKE THE WIND. You will place poles down at max range where your cursor is from the previous pole!

:negative:

Wow i never realized that. This will certainly make things easier since it seems to work for all types of electrical poles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
This also works while driving a car or riding a train. Drag large power lines anywhere!