Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

Waking Mars is amazing, but those tuning 'puzzles' and that long 'lower the siphons' sequence are just loving awful. It's possible to completely gently caress ecosystems after a while, but once you reach that point you should have an idea of how not to, and hopefully how to fix it.

I ended up completely ruining a room with the plants that convert the pH of growth spots and "fixed" the problem by deleting the save file for that room. I appreciate the existence of a completely non-violent Metroidvania, but Waking Mars has some severe pacing and design problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pseudorandom name posted:

I ended up completely ruining a room with the plants that convert the pH of growth spots and "fixed" the problem by deleting the save file for that room. I appreciate the existence of a completely non-violent Metroidvania, but Waking Mars has some severe pacing and design problems.

It's not nonviolent. Plants try to kill you all the time.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Drifter posted:

Oh hey, rolling ball puzzles. :geno:

Hey man, everyone loved that Final Fantasy game where one person carried a cup and everyone else had fun.

Or waited for freaking cup bearer ball roller to hurry the gently caress up.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Drifter posted:

Oh hey, rolling ball puzzles. :geno:

Hey, any one that thinks the 2013 Tomb Raider had too much shooting should be absolutely delighted to get back to what the real Tomb Raider is about, pushing stuff around.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

MooCowlian posted:

Are you sure you've actually lost games? They've merged some of the things which had multiple entries for mac/windows or something - I know GTA SA/VC had this, and I think a few others.

This is great, I didn't know they did that, and the multiple copies of Grand Theft Auto games were driving me nuts. I just checked myself and those are all gone now.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Finally getting around to playing Far Cry 3. I actually played Blood Dragon about a year ago (which was awesome) and I think it might have tainted 3 for me. Obviously it still has the same mechanics and taking strongholds and the like is fun but I can tell it's going to waaaaay overstay it's welcome. Stuff like climbing radio towers is already starting to wear thin and I'm not even that far in yet. Blood Dragon was over before any of that stuff started to lose its luster.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Has anyone tried the steam daily deal game Landmark? My wife and I love playing exploration / building games together

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
You have to complete all the story acts to get random mode anyway in diablo 3 so its kind of a moot point whether it is worth playing them.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Everyone should play Story Mode at least once, if only to see how terrible the story is. That aside, having to play it only once is way better than it being the only thing you can play before the expansion.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Azran posted:

Everyone should play Story Mode at least once, if only to see how terrible the story is. That aside, having to play it only once is way better than it being the only thing you can play before the expansion.

How bad was it? SC2: HotS bad, or even worse? It constantly amazes me how Blizz can get game mechanics so perfect, make jaw-dropping FMVs/ graphics and amazing gameplay, but gently caress up story and world-building so bad. I mean, isn't the plot of Diablo game basically "kill Diablo" anyway?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It's so bad it makes the plot of the other games less interesting. When a series makes constant references to past material, it's called a fan wank, or fan-service. I'm not sure what it's called when a series takes those references and shits all over them. I would be fine with ignoring the plot entirely except the game keeps shoving it in your face. Adventure mode is an extremely late addition, before you had to play story mode exclusively.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

How bad was it? SC2: HotS bad, or even worse? It constantly amazes me how Blizz can get game mechanics so perfect, make jaw-dropping FMVs/ graphics and amazing gameplay, but gently caress up story and world-building so bad. I mean, isn't the plot of Diablo game basically "kill Diablo" anyway?

The worst part about story mode is having to watch the stupid loving dialogue/cutscenes over and over. Diablo is supposed to be fast paced, but before adventure mode you spent 90% of your time skipping dialogue or cutscenes it was so stupid.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It misses funny-bad then?

Relatedly, is blizzards downloader usually this terrible? I'm getting 1MB/s from steam, but downloading D3 is giving me at most 200KB/s. I've checked there's no download limit on the launcher, so does blizzard just have awful speeds or something?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I haven't played SC2: HotS but I imagine there's some painfully telegraphed betrayals in there and at least two corruptions to the dark side.

You think it would be hard to gently caress up "kill Diablo" but they managed in spades of Blizzard style where you need to be betrayed twice an Act and fight corrupted angels and MAYBE YOU WILL GET CORRUPTED TOO??? and you have to spend all your time with NPCs who blather on about how much they miss their uncle and it actually makes you miss their uncle as well because at least he knew his loving place and stayed in town.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

It constantly amazes me how Blizz can get game mechanics so perfect, make jaw-dropping FMVs/ graphics and amazing gameplay, but gently caress up story and world-building so bad. I mean, isn't the plot of Diablo game basically "kill Diablo" anyway?
It's because Chris Metzen is a hack and a terrible writer but is so high up Blizzard's ladder that nobody can challenge his poo poo ever. They should fire him and get writers on the level of their art team but it's not happening.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's an option to skip all cutscenes in Diablo 3, which you should check on. For all dialogue, just mash spacebar until people stop talking. I've played D3 a ton and I barely even know what the plot is about, such as it is. The story won't get in the way if you do those two things.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Palpek posted:

It's because Chris Metzen is a hack and a terrible writer but is so high up Blizzard's ladder that nobody can challenge his poo poo ever. They should fire him and get writers on the level of their art team but it's not happening.
I'm eagerly awaiting the Protoss campaign for SC2 so I can find out who get corrupted

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Chris Metzen is like the goth teenager in high school who is always doodling giant demon cocks in his notebook. Take a look at some of his wonderful art from the Diablo 1 manual.

Here's some from Starcraft:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

exquisite tea posted:

There's an option to skip all cutscenes in Diablo 3, which you should check on. For all dialogue, just mash spacebar until people stop talking. I've played D3 a ton and I barely even know what the plot is about, such as it is. The story won't get in the way if you do those two things.

Yea but its still a thing you have to do, its not like D2 where you pretty much never have that poo poo and its constant killing. Even with skip cutscenes on it still like does a little loading screen to play the cutscene before it skips and ohhh man it has to be the worst decision in a diablo game ever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Reason posted:

Yea but its still a thing you have to do, its not like D2 where you pretty much never have that poo poo and its constant killing. Even with skip cutscenes on it still like does a little loading screen to play the cutscene before it skips and ohhh man it has to be the worst decision in a diablo game ever.

It's like .5 sec of loading time, if that's too much for you to handle then I don't know how you ever tolerated porting back to town 100 times to restock potions in D2.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It's so bad it makes the plot of the other games less interesting. When a series makes constant references to past material, it's called a fan wank, or fan-service. I'm not sure what it's called when a series takes those references and shits all over them. I would be fine with ignoring the plot entirely except the game keeps shoving it in your face. Adventure mode is an extremely late addition, before you had to play story mode exclusively.
Capcom'd.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The demon lord who is supposed to be the most insanely good strategist on all the Seven Hells says stuff like "Oh, you defeated my *PLAN A*. But you will never defeat *PLAN B*, who is in X location doing Y and will do terrible damage to your efforts in Z time. HEHE" When you defeat it, it's the same, but with Plan C.

All the obviously evil characters who pass as "good" ones betray the player in completely obvious ways. It's not even funny, it's just terrible. You used to be unable to skip all this stuff, too!

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
I thought I'd hate Diablo's story since I spoiled it for myself before playing, but it was still entertaining. Sagacious Zu was some crazy potsmoking sage that came out of nowhere. The bad guys are laughably incompetent - but Diablo him/herself was pretty boss.

MGN001
May 12, 2012

Are any of the FlatOut games any good?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Ace Combat Assault Horizon worth it at 5 bucks?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Insert name here posted:

I'm eagerly awaiting the Protoss campaign for SC2 so I can find out who get corrupted

Clearly everyone but the noble hero protagonists. Or Raynor will turn evil then Kerrigan will turn him back in an act of true love. While the head Protoss guy narrates about how those 2 represent the future of sentient races, UNLESS THEY FALL TO THE XEL-NAGA! *cue dramatic music

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

MGN001 posted:

Are any of the FlatOut games any good?

FlatOut:UC is an amazing party game.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The story in Diablo 3 is just a way to get the player through the levels, and it does that well enough. It's not anything to get bent out of shape over, and I can't understand why so many people have such a burning hatred of it even to this day. I mean, at worst it's forgettable and aside from maybe one thing there's nothing to get upset over.

nightfries
Apr 5, 2004