Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soral
May 30, 2009

Seshoho Cian posted:

jesus gently caress
does the randomiser mess around with the shiny spawn rates or is it still the same

as i understand it, the randomizer does not touch the spawn rates of any pokemon, it simply changes which pokemon are put into which "slots" in a given area, depending on what options you selected when you patch the rom. while this may have the effect of increasing or decreasing the perceived spawn rates of specific pokemon by simply having more or fewer pokemon in the allotted slots for a given area, spawn rates are not actually effected, just the size of the pool you can draw from when entering a random encounter.

all of this spergy as gently caress information is worthless, however, as it means nothing when we talk about how frequently shinies show up, and also im using area 1:1 mapping which means the perceived spawn rates are identical in every area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soral
May 30, 2009

Soral posted:

as i understand it, the randomizer does not touch the spawn rates of any pokemon, it simply changes which pokemon are put into which "slots" in a given area, depending on what options you selected when you patch the rom. while this may have the effect of increasing or decreasing the perceived spawn rates of specific pokemon by simply having more or fewer pokemon in the allotted slots for a given area, spawn rates are not actually effected, just the size of the pool you can draw from when entering a random encounter.

all of this spergy as gently caress information is worthless, however, as it means nothing when we talk about how frequently shinies show up, and also im using area 1:1 mapping which means the perceived spawn rates are identical in every area.

:goonsay:

Soral
May 30, 2009

Pikachu posted:

god drat

oh hey somehow you managed to not get on my list so ill stick you right at the top to make up for making you wait to show up :shobon:

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Soral posted:

holy poo poo
WHOA :wth:

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

Soral posted:

oh hey somehow you managed to not get on my list so ill stick you right at the top to make up for making you wait to show up :shobon:

I'm the lopunny

Soral
May 30, 2009

Pikachu posted:

I'm the lopunny

oh cool namechange

Soral
May 30, 2009

hello heres more caught pokemen and more beaten gyms

i have a concerning amount of bug types at this point. if i lose a bunch of dudes and have to rely on these bug guys im probably hosed

this fat gently caress has dragon types, much like the sperglord in the bug gym. im convinced that this means all the kanto gyms will also be dragon type and ill get my poo poo rocked

no deaths (surprisingly) but i had to use like 2 dozen lemonades to keep my guys from dying

yawn. this annoying shithead that had us do her grocery shopping for her had grass types and was totally dunked by our shiny ho-oh. it always bugged me that the steel-type gym gave out the mineral badge, that sounds more like something a rock type gym would give out

fauxgateau will either move on to do great things or get ruined

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ed: wait this appears to have a single purpose and is not a general pokemon thread

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Fandyien posted:

hey i have some questions about pokemon, i'm playing sapphire. i haven't played a pokemon game since i was a kid.

1. what does it mean to have a pokemon holding a berry/item
2. do you still want one of every type in your team
3. are the original 150 capturable in sapphire? i know trainers have them i just beat the first gym and it was all geodudes.
4. what pokemon should i keep my eyes out for and what is a good lineup for someone who just wants to beat the game and get the secret ones and isn't mega intense about stats like everyone online? right now i've got a mudkip, a taillow, a makuhita, a zigzagoon, and a ralts as well as a shroomish in the bank.

1. items and berries have different effects in battle, berries automatically activate (eg oran berry restores health once when you are under half, and then that uses up the berry) and some items have passive effects (eg a Miracle Seed will boost your grass type attacks). Other items, like potions, can't be used by having your pokemon hold them, so its pointless to have them hold them
2. Not necessarily "one of every type" but you definitely want a well-rounded team for the most part, so having a diverse number of types is good. Just check the type of whatever gym is in town and make sure you have something good against it
4. Not all of them, but there are quite a few of the originals in sapphire
4. All those guys are pretty good for in-game. It would be a good idea to have something that can deal with water types easily, because the second half of the game has a lot of trainers with water types

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

mabels big day posted:

1. items and berries have different effects in battle, berries automatically activate (eg oran berry restores health once when you are under half, and then that uses up the berry) and some items have passive effects (eg a Miracle Seed will boost your grass type attacks). Other items, like potions, can't be used by having your pokemon hold them, so its pointless to have them hold them
2. Not necessarily "one of every type" but you definitely want a well-rounded team for the most part, so having a diverse number of types is good. Just check the type of whatever gym is in town and make sure you have something good against it
4. Not all of them, but there are quite a few of the originals in sapphire
4. All those guys are pretty good for in-game. It would be a good idea to have something that can deal with water types easily, because the second half of the game has a lot of trainers with water types

thanks bro. is an electric type a good counter to water?

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a weedle, woo! Please evolve my weak rear end.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Soral posted:

nasgate is now the most valuable pokemon i have ever seen, let alone caught

Nasgate posted:

Wanting to get in on this. Here's hopin im a shiny pokeman.

My first legitimate shiny Pokémon was a Zubat, which looked Radical, but all his evolved forms look stupid when they shiny.

I feel like a god now.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Fandyien posted:

ed: wait this appears to have a single purpose and is not a general pokemon thread

please feel free to use this thread as a general purpose pokemon thread.

Fandyien posted:

thanks bro. is an electric type a good counter to water?

go-to water type counters are electric and grass type

Soral
May 30, 2009

i should point out that grass types are doubly strong against water (they are resistant to water while also doing double damage) while electric types only do double damage

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
How I Beat Sapphire. Pick mudkip.
Get a fire pokemon to fight grass types until swampert is level 70.

Beat Elite 4 using a level 93 Swampert. Muddy Water and Earthquake OP

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

Soral posted:

oh cool namechange

Take me to the name rater

Soral
May 30, 2009

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

:glomp:

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
how was that name not taken already

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i want to name change but i don't know if it'll be an improvement

Soral
May 30, 2009

yes hello i played some more but i bumped into a game ending bug w/r/t the red gyarados thing so tomorrow i will try out a couple things to see if i can bypass it

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Soral posted:

fenrir is a dude which opens up a different evolution for him if anyone didnt know. ill be going for it because gardevoir is extremely popular and im a hipster with unique thoughts & opinions who thinks for themself
Awww, it's adorable :3:

(I don't know poo poo about Pokemon)

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Fenrir posted:

Awww, it's adorable :3:

(I don't know poo poo about Pokemon)

GIS it do it do it do it do it

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

its pokemon number is 34 so include that in the search

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Well that rocks.

Soral
May 30, 2009

qnqnx posted:

GIS it do it do it do it do it

scalded schlong posted:

its pokemon number is 34 so include that in the search

Soral
May 30, 2009

red gyarados is a pretty good shiny, im glad its the one they give you for free

oh.

youll notice that garchomp doesnt appear to be shiny here even though the red gyarados is scripted to be. the randomizer actually does correctly place a shiny pokemon in this encounter, the problem is shiny garchomp is a piece of poo poo and is basically impossible to tell apart from regular garchomp:

also, rip in peace to pikachu. i tried really hard to make you useful since lopunny is kind of not great :(

HogButcher continues to be my go-to capture guy

oh. no red scale.

yep, no red scale. ~FOR THOSE NOT IN THE KNOW~, the randomizer has robbed us of the exp share by not giving us the red scale. bummer. also, i posted earlier that i found a game breaking bug here. a quest trigger never fired leaving me stuck at this point in the game because a stairwell to the next area never opened. i played and replayed this part trying to find a way past it until i gave up and did this

:filez:

i found a tm containing sacred flame (ho-ohs signature move) and it was teachable to FauxGateau so i gave it to him :getin:

video viddy is a cutie

who the gently caress are you

this is the first lady rocket ive found so far and she has distinguished herself by having the most annoying loving pokemon on earth. paralyze + confuse is the WORST

i dont know who you are dude. actually this joke is stupid and im gay for making it. we technically never met lance because of that broken quest trigger i bypassed earlier.

team rocket has really gone downhill since giovanni left. also we get a double battle with lance on our team so we get a nice good look at his gay cape

yeah ok whatever lance. lance saying the machine is broken and deciding to leave triggered earlier than it should have because of the randomizer here. i figured i may as well kill the two remaining "electrodes" for the xp

god DAMNIT SELFDESTRUCT :argh:

also now im haunted by the ghost of lance

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is schlong the snake still living in a box

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
make me a pokemon and then Kill my sutpid rear end.

Soral
May 30, 2009

scalded schlong posted:

is schlong the snake still living in a box

yes. i consider letting him out of the box every time i move around my party members tho

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Soral posted:

not included: a screenshot of NoSuchThin the psyduck dying in his third ever fight (i was holding down the fast forward button and the death scrolled past) this kind of bummed me out because i kinda like psyduck

:psyduck:

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE
I died how I lived: getting mauled to death by walking shark

Soral
May 30, 2009

im considering not fielding schlong the defiantly spitting anaconda ever because at this rate all the frequent posters in this thread will be dead :ohdear:

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I'm just biding my time until I kill myself with double-edge.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
you'll always have me, the gentle yanma (who is kind of poo poo, as planned)

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

ungulateman posted:

you'll always have me, the gentle yanma (who is kind of poo poo, as planned)

i won a match on the online pokemon battle program that was a Thing for a while by using yanma

i had that move that does more damage the lower your health is, a focus band, and max speed ivs/evs set up and the other dude saw me throw out a yanma and quit

Soral
May 30, 2009

i hope it was worth the wait wormskull

my schlong is bigger than ever

the ice gym is full of literally rear end faced skunk pokemen

pictured: me beating up an old man and stealing his jewelry

:smug:

gently caress :(

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

hot snake on snake frottage itt

Doctor Goat