Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Chris Remo posted:

Is it really? It only occupied any significant amount of time on a single episode and as far as I recall has only even come up again maybe one other time?
I kind of assumed that the "being on the verge of being run into the ground" comment is somebody who either isn't aware of how long-running most Idle Thumbs in-jokes have been dragged along (I miss Jeff GoldbestGoneGoldblum), or who's just classic internet sexist response :argh: about having a girl who talks about gaming stuff other than branching plot design choices and the same old tired gamecons. I'm royally sick of PAX/E3/etc and would never have been interested myself in, say, gaymer-X con, or anthropomorphic adventure/platofrming games however, it's a really nice change of pace, and the Boston accent is almost as endearingly funny as Giant Bomb's in-'cast ads a la "Hey there 'small business-man!'"

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm truly happy for you.
Hey thanks, it's pretty rad! You meet lots of friendly and interesting people, and get to visit cool places like where we relaxed at yesterday, after a day hike:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Chris Remo posted:

Is it really? It only occupied any significant amount of time on a single episode and as far as I recall has only even come up again maybe one other time?

Its tired poo poo Chris.

Anyway, baboo.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Finally got around to playing the Dark Souls 2 DLC and holy poo poo, it's like they made a DLC pack just for Gary and Kole. Can't wait for this episode of bonfireside.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I think we're at least a year out from Idle Thumbs being able to run any Danielle stuff into the ground, let alone solid gold stuff like her accent. Keep in mind this is the podcast that still talks about Jurassic Park and bird noises.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Chris Remo posted:

Sorry, I should've been clearer - I meant it's getting run into the ground in this thread, not on the show. My bad.

coyo7e posted:

I kind of assumed that the "being on the verge of being run into the ground" comment is somebody who either isn't aware of how long-running most Idle Thumbs in-jokes have been dragged along (I miss Jeff GoldbestGoneGoldblum), or who's just classic internet sexist response :argh: about having a girl who talks about gaming stuff other than branching plot design choices and the same old tired gamecons.
I hope you find what makes you happy someday.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 28, 2014

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

Funkmaster General posted:

Finally got around to playing the Dark Souls 2 DLC and holy poo poo, it's like they made a DLC pack just for Gary and Kole. Can't wait for this episode of bonfireside.

It's very exciting. I can't wait for the rest of the DLC. I think we're going to have some fun.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

This thread has been running a little hot lately.

This is maybe a dumb question but what do you guys use to listen to podcasts? I almost exclusively listen on my iPhone and recently switched to Overcast because it's supposed to be the new hotness... and it is really clean, but makes me miss some of the robustness of Downcast. Does anyone still use stitcher or whatever that third party "rips your podcast from your feed to make it more convenient for us" service?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I have an android (Galaxy S4) and use BeyondPod. I've been very happy with it except I once had to reinstall it for some dumb reason and lost everything and had to add all my feeds again.

On my iPod I used to use the podcast app because I didn't know any better but since I got this phone the ipod has been relegated to alarm clock duty.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
BeyondPod on Android here as well. I tried the Doubletwist podcast add-on and it was terrible and you had to go through some voodoo to add a simple url if the show you wanted wasn't in their directory.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Been using Downcast on my iPhone since it was recommended to me on this very thread. I grabbed Overcast when it was released but I really like the functionality of Downcast so I came back to it really quickly.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm using BeyondPod on android and have been rather unhappy with it.

Once every few months it will "forget" which episodes of a feed I've already listened to and mark the entire back history as unlistened. I'll only notice this when I queue up the a Bombcast / Idle Thumbs / whatever and discover it has actually downloaded episode 1.

Also, if the app goes too long without hitting play, it will spend approximately ten seconds to begin playing. I presume this is due to some sort of conflict with the way Android handles memory management, but it's so infuriating when I hit play on my car's stereo and don't have any visual feedback on why it will sometimes work and sometimes not.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

On Android, and Pocketcasts for life yo.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

ja2ke posted:

This is maybe a dumb question but what do you guys use to listen to podcasts? I almost exclusively listen on my iPhone and recently switched to Overcast because it's supposed to be the new hotness... and it is really clean, but makes me miss some of the robustness of Downcast. Does anyone still use stitcher or whatever that third party "rips your podcast from your feed to make it more convenient for us" service?

When I had an android I used Doggcatcher, which used RSS feeds but they did keep their own database of them I believe (but also had a deal to google for feeds too). But on iOS I just use the Apple stock one, since it Just Works.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Downcast still works well.

I don't understand how someone can live 30 entire years and end up like Dan Ryckert. He's growing on me, but jesus.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Pocketcast on android has been nothing but a pleasure to use. The way it minimizes to notifications is great, the full screen display is great, playing in the background is great, you can always get to the controls.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Pockecasts here as well. Looks great, works fine. Haven't had a problem a single with it.

Also, I just got a Wii U 'casue I've been craving one and Idle Thumbs just keeps on talking about it. Mario Kart is SO GOOD.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Funkmaster General posted:

This is the most-convincing selling point I've heard for any xbox 360 content in probably 6-9 months.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I go to the website and download each mp3 individually :saddowns:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Captain Novolin posted:

I used to do this but had an RSS feed instead of going to the actual website.

Now I just used Podcast Addict on Android.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Android - Podcast Addict. I dislike it quite a bit but am also too lazy to switch. It's a conundrum without a solution.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

regulargonzalez posted:

Android - Podcast Addict. I dislike it quite a bit but am also too lazy to switch. It's a conundrum without a solution.

I use this one personally, and I have no real complaints. So what don't you like about it?

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Captain Novolin posted:

I was gonna post about how I was a dinosaur, but all these kids started dropping their hip podblast lingo and scared me off.

I like to look at the pretty pictures. :(

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

I'm a big dumb idiot that would forget when most shows came out and never end up listening if I had to do that. I'm the worst.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm a big dumb idiot that would forget when most shows came out and never end up listening if I had to do that. I'm the worst.

Fortunately I see when most of the stuff I listen to regularly goes up thanks to twitter, but sometimes I get behind on a podcast and I like taking a few hours to catch up while I do something relaxing like play Euro Truck or DCS or something.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

umalt posted:

I use this one personally, and I have no real complaints. So what don't you like about it?

Too much navigation of various screens to do stuff. Mitigated a bit by my recent discovery of the option to auto-queue after downloading a podcast but could still be more streamlined.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Bobulus posted:

I'm using BeyondPod on android and have been rather unhappy with it.

Once every few months it will "forget" which episodes of a feed I've already listened to and mark the entire back history as unlistened. I'll only notice this when I queue up the a Bombcast / Idle Thumbs / whatever and discover it has actually downloaded episode 1.

Also, if the app goes too long without hitting play, it will spend approximately ten seconds to begin playing. I presume this is due to some sort of conflict with the way Android handles memory management, but it's so infuriating when I hit play on my car's stereo and don't have any visual feedback on why it will sometimes work and sometimes not.

I use Beyondpod too. I haven't had those problems, but sometimes it hangs in a weird way when I'm trying to update a feed. I have everything set to manual, though, so I might not notice if the feed management was acting wonky.

This isn't a specific criticism of any one podcast, but I feel like a lot of the games podcasts I listen to are in the same social media circles and play the same games, and even though I listen to a lot of gaming podcasts while at work, I still mostly get exposed to new games from the Steam thread here. Like, if a game like transistor comes out, I'm going to hear impressions of it on every podcast I listen to, but Divinity OC is the first Divinity game anyone has played, even though Divinity 2 and Divine Divinity are pretty respected RPGs and not that obscure.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Add one more for the android/beyondpod combo. I haven't noticed any issues really.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Listening to Gary's sick person voice on Duckfeed podcasts reminds me of the voice change Ulillillia went through after eating a 30 inch pizza over 4 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPRheymdlXo&t=320s

Captain Novolin posted:

Me too. ;~]

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

ja2ke posted:

I use the default podcast app on iPhone / iPad. Does the job fine for me. Otherwise I just download them off the website if I'm sat at my PC or something.

Tweek-
Jul 13, 2014
I always listen on pc/itunes while gaming or browsing SA. Never used a phone to listen to podcast but maybe should try it.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

ja2ke posted:

I'm still the weirdo who listens via the Youtube channel even though I have an iPad Mini now and could use that. Sitting at the laptop with headphones makes me more attentive than nearly falling asleep in bed with your voices calling out from the darkness.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
MP3s off RSS feeds, listened to on my desktop or my increasingly less functional cheapo MP3 player.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Captain Novolin posted:

Same. I don't have an mp3 player, so podcasts become something I put on while gaming or working.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I still use the normal Apple podcast app :shobon:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I...uh...use a PC. I don't have any of these newfangled audio players and what not.
It's probably why I have 50+podcasts on my backlog. It's hard to find 2 to 3 hours to do menial paperwork over...

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Just plain iTunes plus the iPod music app. Don't really feel the need for a dedicated podcast app.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Beyondpod on a Nexus 5. It sometimes crashes my phone though. Grrr.

Sharay
Apr 19, 2008

ja2ke posted:

This is maybe a dumb question but what do you guys use to listen to podcasts?

I just open a tab in Chrome and listen on the website itself, usually while playing a game that doesn't have a lot of dialogue to listen to. Recently I've been stretching out my first playthrough of Far Cry 2 by only playing it while listening to Idle Thumbs.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Our newest Retronauts episode is all about RPG battle systems—enjoy and stuff: http://www.retronauts.com/?p=846

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

How's the Super Best Friendcast been lately? I dropped it after Liam got to be a bit too much for me.

• Locked thread