Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

紙芝居の時間だよ。

Welcome to the spookiest thread in ADTRW, the Yamishibai thread! Yamishibai is a small show, with episodes lasting roughly 5 minutes and with 13 episodes per season. It's an anthology show in the style of traditional Japanese paper craft. Except this paper show is all about ghosts, urban legends and monsters! Season 1 was great and Season 2 is even better! You can see both seasons on Crunchyroll, with new episodes premiering every Sunday at 2:30 PM. And the ending theme for both seasons is Vocaloid, so your friend Hatsune Miku will sing away your fear!

The only constant in the series is the storyteller pictured above who always makes sure to leave the kids in the local playground with a good scare!

(Real Talk: Please watch this show. It's really really good and very underrated. I wanted to post a clip of the intro to every episode, but there is nothing on youtube because no one cares. The animation is gorgeous; they actually take the time to put in realistic film grain to make it look like a 70s movie. The show really does look like little paper figures moving across a painted background. That's Criterion level stuff. Please reward ILCA for its very hard work.)

おしまい。

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

is this like japanese goosebumps?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Davincie posted:

is this like japanese goosebumps?

Sort of. It's a bit scarier than Goosebumps, but it has a lot of the same flavor. It's also more overtly Japanese with a lot of Ring and Ju-On-esque moments.

vocaloid orgasm
Apr 15, 2011

I keep on singing
Eternal life
VOCALOID
The art style is really cool. This is a nice change of pace from the other summer shows. Plus they use Miku for the ED and you can't go wrong with that.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Watched the first two episodes of the new season. The first is a little weak, but the second delivers. The art is different and really well done. Here's a sink monster for you.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

New episode is good! Russian nesting dolls are universally creepy.

lick it or ticket
Apr 12, 2013

When you want to laugh cry as hard as you can, when you want to cry laugh all you can. When you see rain, just think of it as the world laughing with you, and laugh until you can't anymore.
Making my way through them, and while a lot of them have been good, the umbrella ghost one I just saw now felt so drat cheap.

Like the kid managed to keep the thing out all night, basically did everything within his power, and the ghost just says gently caress it and gets him anyway.

I mean what kind of ghost appears in the day?

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Thanks for posting about this, really enjoying it thus far!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

WeeabooJudas posted:

Making my way through them, and while a lot of them have been good, the umbrella ghost one I just saw now felt so drat cheap.

Like the kid managed to keep the thing out all night, basically did everything within his power, and the ghost just says gently caress it and gets him anyway.

I mean what kind of ghost appears in the day?

He had already let the ghost in by letting his "friend" in earlier in the night.

lick it or ticket
Apr 12, 2013

When you want to laugh cry as hard as you can, when you want to cry laugh all you can. When you see rain, just think of it as the world laughing with you, and laugh until you can't anymore.

Smoking Crow posted:

He had already let the ghost in by letting his "friend" in earlier in the night.

so the ghost was just loving with him the whole night? because it was clearly outside the house for a great deal of it.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

WeeabooJudas posted:

so the ghost was just loving with him the whole night? because it was clearly outside the house for a great deal of it.

What I took from it is that it was killing the others in the house while he stood guard. If it hadn't had sat outside the entire time, the kid would have gotten suspicious and called for the others.

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!

WeeabooJudas posted:

Something I've learned is that a lot of Japanese ghost are just dicks.

Like the ghost that does nothing but set your phone to factory defaults. Or that ghost that only appears when you sit on the toilet.

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

I do not understand the train episode.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

FartRomancer.EXE posted:

I do not understand the train episode.

The thing in the overhead compartment is the one causing all the accidents and the tired man is the latest victim.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Watched a handful of episodes just now and while it can be hit or miss I found it to hit more than it misses, and I say that as someone who's not really a horror fan. Since it's only 4-5 minutes per episode it's not even that much of a time commitment so if you run into a lame one then oh well, on to the next one.

Everyone should give this a shot because even if you don't like it, it takes less time to watch a few of these than it does to watch the first episode of the latest light novel drivel or w/e.

At the very least it's worth watching a few for the animation, they went with a pretty neat style!

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha
Yay! I'm so glad that this is finally getting talked about a bit more. It's one of my favorites to come out in the past couple of seasons, but nobody ever really mentioned it so I kinda held back on talking about it.

That zanbai episode was the one that really sold me. Probably one of my favorite little ghost stories ever. That scene at the end with just the echoing voices, the sunset, and the shadows still gives me the heebie-jeebies.

yeastbeast
May 20, 2011

EAT MY HEAD
This is a great series to show people who aren't into anime. The last episode of the first season with the tormenter really scared the piss out of me, it was so unexpected.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013

yeastbeast posted:

This is a great series to show people who aren't into anime. The last episode of the first season with the tormenter really scared the piss out of me, it was so unexpected.

Not to mention how the animation changes for the tormentor. It was a really nice touch.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Latest episode is not really that scary! Ah, a weird thing attacked the lady across the street! And then it attacked the main character. It just feels so vanilla, there's nothing really chilling about it. Last week's episode was so great, so this was kind of a disappointment...

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Adelheid posted:

Latest episode is not really that scary! Ah, a weird thing attacked the lady across the street! And then it attacked the main character. It just feels so vanilla, there's nothing really chilling about it. Last week's episode was so great, so this was kind of a disappointment...

It's a pretty normal horror plot, and I enjoyed it because freaky spider ladies are cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The new episode is good! I kind of expected a bit of gore when the guy started screaming, but I didn't see him turning into a black cube coming.

• Locked thread