Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Watching ESA reminded me of something I wish was in more modern games: Otogi's environment destruction because you hit an enemy so hard that they flew through buildings. I loved how awesome the games made you feel, and Rising's the closest thing I can think of to it action game wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Tiggum posted:

I think the only other point where anything similar happens is when Malik is under attack and if you don't kill all the bad guys quick enough then she dies. Otherwise you're free to dick around and do whatever you want, no matter how urgent they say it is.

gently caress that part on a non lethal run :shepicide:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Mr E posted:

Watching ESA reminded me of something I wish was in more modern games: Otogi's environment destruction because you hit an enemy so hard that they flew through buildings. I loved how awesome the games made you feel, and Rising's the closest thing I can think of to it action game wise.

I was looking up Otogi recently because I remembered it being one of my favorite games, and I made the shocking discovery that it was published by the same people that published half of my favorite games from back in the day. Echo Night, Chromehounds, Tenchu, Otogi, and King's Field.

Basically From Software keep publishing games I like a whole bunch.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Which makes it so bizarre that their big claim to fame now is Dark Souls.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

TaurusTorus posted:

Honestly I think it works better narratively if you fail. Pritchard's sympathy is a really great development between the two.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Babe Magnet posted:

I was looking up Otogi recently because I remembered it being one of my favorite games, and I made the shocking discovery that it was published by the same people that published half of my favorite games from back in the day. Echo Night, Chromehounds, Tenchu, Otogi, and King's Field.

Basically From Software keep publishing games I like a whole bunch.

From Software's thing seems to be making games with absolutely no regard as to whether or not there's an audience; they're just gonna make this thing, give no regard to market demands, release it, and if you like it then awesome.

I think the Souls games hit home because they tapped into something people really wanted, and did it really well. I've never played any of their other games, but it sounded like much the same approach.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 06:39 on Jul 28, 2014

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Cleretic posted:

From Software's thing seems to be making games with absolutely no regard as to whether or not there's an audience; they're just gonna make this thing, give no regard to market demands, release it, and if you like it then awesome.

I think the Souls games hit home because they tapped into something people really wanted, and did it really well. I've never played any of their other games, but it sounded like much the same approach.

I dunno if they got anything out of Armored Core, but I really want a new Tenchu to make up for Z.

TaurusTorus posted:

Yeah, I hated that part too.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

TaurusTorus posted:

Ugh, that part took me a literal hour and speed-runner levels of precision and more than a little bit of luck. Worth it, tho

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Cleretic posted:

You are dead on.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

I dunno if it's because I'm a dumb-dumb or what, but as much as I loved Omikron I could never get anywhere at all with it. Maybe I'll grab the GoG version and see if I'm any smarter these days.

Use a walk through. Honestly so much of the game is more or less arbitrary and pot luck with the controls fighting you every inch of the way that a walk through is your best bet.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I recently finished Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.

The central conceit of the game is that you control both characters at the same time. So on the keyboard, you control big brother with WASD, little brother with arrow keys. They both have the standard context sensitive action button, big brother has space, little brother has right control (so you wear out the edge of your thumb).

Over the course of the game, the characters develop distinct personalities. Lil is dependent on his brother, he can't swim and is scared of water. He's also shorter, so big boosts him up ledges.

At the end of the game, lil is separated from big. He has to cross a body of water, and his action button does nothing. You pass the problem by pressing big's action button. Same when he finds a ledge, big's action button makes him do a run up and climb it himself.

The game is a tragic coming-of-age story, lil is forced to rapidly grow up and fill big's shoes, because big ain't coming back.

All during the ending sequence, you're expecting the magic tree's magic water to fix big's mortal wound. Lil is in a race against time before big bleeds out. But the magic doesn't work. Its magic fixes one thing, and that's the father's illness, and not all death. That already sets it apart from most other stories. And at the end, it's the father and lil standing alone by the shore, by their family's headstones, and you regret their journey. The father would not have wanted to have sacrificed his son.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Byzantine posted:

it lets you suckerpunch people, and not only that, to suckerpunch people as a valid resolution to quests.

If you're only suckerpunching quest-related people you're not doing it right.

TaurusTorus posted:

I found out later on that the robot in that level can kill people by exploding, adn that this counts as a kill.

I found this out because I didn't get the nonlethal achievement at the end of a run where I didn't use any ranged weapons.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

It's actually not supposed to if they self-destruct, but good luck finding out what screwed over that achievement with practically no feedback. That area is actually pretty fun to do if you have it down pat (there's really not even that many enemies there, though I do hate the mech), as you can just stock up on candy/tasers and use cloaking. Also, there's not much of that time-limit stuff in the game so it's a different feeling of accomplishment, and that's also the worst of it compared to how they use it elsewhere (like with enemies or in The Missing Link).

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

muscles like this? posted:

He wasn't even the guy from the first game, he was just a character in the first game. The main character of Crysis 1 was "Nomad" while the guy from Crysis 2 and 3 was "Prophet."

This is from way back, but it ties into one of my favorite subtle little things in Crysis 2. At one point, Alcatraz is incapacitated and badly wounded. You're essentially stuck immobilized on the floor as bad things continue to happen all around you. Suddenly, a prompt appears saying "Press [button] to activate defibrillator." You press the button several times to restart Alcatraz's heart and recover.

What hit me a few days later is that this scene is meant to show that Alcatraz is essentially braindead. The character you're playing isn't Alcatraz wearing a supersuit, you're playing the supersuit riding Alcatraz's body and activating various functions to keep it going far past where it should have died.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Doom Goon posted:

It's actually not supposed to if they self-destruct, but good luck finding out what screwed over that achievement with practically no feedback. That area is actually pretty fun to do if you have it down pat (there's really not even that many enemies there, though I do hate the mech), as you can just stock up on candy/tasers and use cloaking. Also, there's not much of that time-limit stuff in the game so it's a different feeling of accomplishment, and that's also the worst of it compared to how they use it elsewhere (like with enemies or in The Missing Link).
I can confirm this, 99% sure the robot took out a dude but I didn't lose my no-kill run.

It's still less annoying than dishonored's no-kill rules. :colbert:

Also Saving Malik is easier when you realize you can just EMP the robot, then chuck a bunch of gas grenades to knock out big clumps of them, and then tranq the rest.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Dishonored really needed a non-lethal melee option. The classic Thief-style kosh wouldn't have been out of place.

Philippe has a new favorite as of 19:57 on Jul 28, 2014

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

LoonShia posted:

Dishonored really needed a non-lethal melee option. The classic Thief-style kosh wouldn't have been out of place.

IIRC it's possible to choke people unconscious without snapping their neck, but it takes longer and makes more noise.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In Mirror's Edge one of the five signs that your friend is a runner (and therefore a criminal) is a fondness for red.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Action Tortoise posted:

I dunno if they got anything out of Armored Core, but I really want a new Tenchu to make up for Z.

I hope they make another Lost Kingdoms at some point. That series felt a lot like proto-Demon's Souls + pokemon cards.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

LoonShia posted:

Do you mean an instant non-lethal melee option? I'm pretty sure the first technique you learn in Dishonored is choking people out (the non-lethal melee option).

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I know you can choke people out, Goon Sirs. What I meant is that there ought to be a non-lethal alternative to the sword, something you can use once you've been spotted.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LoonShia posted:

I know you can choke people out, Goon Sirs. What I meant is that there ought to be a non-lethal alternative to the sword, something you can use once you've been spotted.

Hmm I guess the only alternative to that is nothing. I mean when you're in the poo poo and need to get out of it you could buy the instant tranq dart thing. But yeah a blackjack or something (maybe a bit of wood) would've helped. But the intent is that the lethal options are easy and the non-lethal options are supposed to be harder. It comes down to game design philosophy really.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
You couldn't blackjack dudes once they were on alert in the older thief games. The oh poo poo item was smoke bombs and even then it took a while for enemies to calm down.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

LoonShia posted:

The non-lethal alternative is the fact that you can teleport and your pursuers cannot. Dishonored was really good at breaking the quicksave/quickload habit instilled by older stealth games because it gave you a mountain of options once poo poo went pear-shaped and you needed to make a quick exit. My favorite moments in that game were when I hosed something up and had to improvise a hasty retreat.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

haveblue posted:

IIRC it's possible to choke people unconscious without snapping their neck, but it takes longer and makes more noise.

Thankfully there's a bone charm you can pick up that speeds up the process, at least.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

graybook posted:

Thankfully there's a bone charm you can pick up that speeds up the process, at least.

It's really helpful for a non-lethal playthrough*

*unless it's one of the last charms you get

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
So I recently got the baseball sim Out of the Park Baseball 2015. It's mostly a very dry, sterile, stats heavy thing, but there's a little bit of personality to it too.

Like for example, there's a pitcher right now called Josh Lueke who is an irl convicted rapist and piece of poo poo human. Every player in the sim has certain personality traits that affect how they act, and these are the stats for Lueke:

It's not much, but I like that some programmer thought "you know what? gently caress this guy," and went into the hundreds of thousands of players just to single out this nobody reliever as an a total fucker.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
^^ That's amazing and I'm quite surprised they did that. Older versions of the Football Manager series used to have rare events like players fighting or punching the ref leading to a long ban but removed it due to potential for legal action. Even something as tame as being absent for training after being spotted in a nightclub in the early hours will only happen to generated players.

3 posted:

The non-lethal alternative is the fact that you can teleport and your pursuers cannot. Dishonored was really good at breaking the quicksave/quickload habit instilled by older stealth games because it gave you a mountain of options once poo poo went pear-shaped and you needed to make a quick exit. My favorite moments in that game were when I hosed something up and had to improvise a hasty retreat.

Completely agreed, the best games are ones where you can just roll with what happens.

Walton Simons has a new favorite as of 12:09 on Jul 29, 2014

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Dishonored has really nice flow.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Not only is this fantastic, but I really appreciate that they (you?) went out of their way to tranq the maid instead of killing her. Whenever I see fancy Dishonored videos where they wipe out the innocents it always ruins it a bit for me because it's not their fault their city is falling apart around them. :(

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That reminds me, I haven't played Knife of Dunwall yet.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

It's a shame so few first person games have proper climbing mechanics (like Thief/Dishonored).

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
I know this is two-pages old now, but if anyone's thinking about revisiting Myst, I played through realMyst: Masterpiece edition over the weekend and my trip report is that Steam says I clocked in 5 hours (that's with no hints [which are built into an in-game hint menu so you don't have to go googling around], and collecting every page to see every ending, AND checking out the new extra Age that was built into the end of the game), and half a dozen Post-it notes or so.

It wasn't really as hard as I remember it being back in the day, but it was really satisfying to replay something like 10 years later after the first time playing through it with my dad and work through it. Never got stumped, puzzle difficulty was just right I'd say.

gently caress Riven is just obtuse though.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

haveblue posted:

This was always something that struck me as weird about DX:HR in comparison - there, nonlethal takedowns are the quiet ones, despite you punching or choking the dude and them often uttering yelps of surprise or pain, whereas lethal stabby or throat-slitting takedowns are louder. It basically means there is literally no reason to ever use the lethal takedown unless you're roleplaying Jensen as a complete and utter bastard (which to be fair is not wholly without cause).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They also give you way more experience.

The idea was supposed to be that if you played it stealthy you were taking out fewer enemies so the extra experience balanced what you'd get sweeping rooms. But they made it too easy to totally ghost a room while also dropping everyone.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I don't know if it counts as a "little thing" but I am loving all the little touches they did in this hack of Final Fantasy 6:

http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/files/file/66-final-fantasy-vi-brave-new-world/

Basically they made it so each character feels like they have a proper "class", and they're not all just magic wielding gods. They also made the random encounters a bit trickier so you can't just mash Fight and get through them

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Heavy Lobster posted:

Not only is this fantastic, but I really appreciate that they (you?) went out of their way to tranq the maid instead of killing her. Whenever I see fancy Dishonored videos where they wipe out the innocents it always ruins it a bit for me because it's not their fault their city is falling apart around them. :(

Too bad he slaughtered the cops who just were upholding the law and trying to save money for whiskey and cigars for their kids.

The sword fighting in that game was so cool. Not the instant backstabbing, but the dueling with the guards. Using every bomb and skill while barely staying alive. I just wish there was a kick button, the guards have one and it's extremely annoying.

Selklubber has a new favorite as of 21:19 on Jul 29, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Wild T posted:

This is from way back, but it ties into one of my favorite subtle little things in Crysis 2. At one point, Alcatraz is incapacitated and badly wounded. You're essentially stuck immobilized on the floor as bad things continue to happen all around you. Suddenly, a prompt appears saying "Press [button] to activate defibrillator." You press the button several times to restart Alcatraz's heart and recover.

What hit me a few days later is that this scene is meant to show that Alcatraz is essentially braindead. The character you're playing isn't Alcatraz wearing a supersuit, you're playing the supersuit riding Alcatraz's body and activating various functions to keep it going far past where it should have died.

Crysis actually has more interesting narrative hooks than people give it credit for, it's just that the devs ended every game but the last with a cliffhanger that was never resolved. Well, that and they didn't really explore the more interesting parts of the narrative in favour of more alien shooting.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Selklubber posted:

Too bad he slaughtered the cops who just were upholding the law and trying to save money for whiskey and cigars for their kids.

The sword fighting in that game was so cool. Not the instant backstabbing, but the dueling with the guards. Using every bomb and skill while barely staying alive. I just wish there was a kick button, the guards have one and it's extremely annoying.

Dishonored with Dark Messiah's kick would be just a few steps away from perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Male Man posted:

Dishonored with Dark Messiah's kick and more well-thought out Chaos mechanics would be just a few steps away from perfect.

ftfy