Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Hegay posted:

The sprinters jersey should be won by the best sprinter, imo. Despite winning 4 stages, Kittel only has half the points of Sagan. The medium-mountain stages should have way fewer points (or double the points of the flat stage finishes).

If it were a "sprinters jersey" then yes. But it's not, the competition is called the "points classification" and the rules are set in place. It's supposed to be something for the sprinters to strive for, but then again it's not supposed to be just a retard-mode "which rider reachest the highest km/h in a flat stage finish" jersey. There's nothing particularly exciting in a "best sprinter" competition, you can just see who won the most mass sprints and there's your boring winner.

I'd say having a disproportionate amount of stage wins is well enough for guys like Kittel or Cavendish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

peanut- posted:

Should it just be a sprinters jersey? Even ignoring intermediates, Sagan was in the top 5 on 10 stages which seems pretty loving impressive.

This made me think.

I think I'm having second thoughts about by earlier statement about Sagan. Turns out he has accumulated 431 points. This placed him second, behind Sean Kelly (1985) in most points accumulated during the Tour. He's also the first one, since Zabel, to get the green 3 years in a row. I'm starting to think he's done something incredible indeed.

To be fair, the system changed since 2009. Still, he's gotten about 150 points more as Hushovd in 2009 and Petacchi in 2010 and even 100 more as Cav in 2011.

To be fair to Kittel, he should be in the top 3, but Sagan's consistency is pretty remarkable.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Bolivar posted:

If it were a "sprinters jersey" then yes. But it's not, the competition is called the "points classification" and the rules are set in place. It's supposed to be something for the sprinters to strive for, but then again it's not supposed to be just a retard-mode "which rider reachest the highest km/h in a flat stage finish" jersey. There's nothing particularly exciting in a "best sprinter" competition, you can just see who won the most mass sprints and there's your boring winner.

I'd say having a disproportionate amount of stage wins is well enough for guys like Kittel or Cavendish.

This reminds me. Does anyone have that post by fruit stripe(?) about sprinting?

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

If you want the most consistent rider then there is the GC. If you want to cheer on a rider that failed to capitalize on any of the handful of stages made for him, then by all means enjoy what has become the Green Jersey of Mediocrity competition.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

quote:

Taylor Phinney posted a photo of his mangled leg.

ffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

dema posted:

ffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

:stonk:

That is some crypt keeper poo poo.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Christ, they rushed the recovery time on that one.

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

Leading up the the final sprint, they were talking about how great Sagan was, but after Kittel won the stage they all started proclaiming him the best sprinter going. By the green jersey standings, Sagan dominated. Am I missing something here? Of course they're both world class sprinters, but it just seemed funny to flip flop on TV.

Also, Phil Liggett's voice is half if the reason why I watch the TdF so where can I find him next? :swoon:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sagan's much better at keeping pace with the front of the race, so he's a lot better at getting some of the points every stage.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

He can climb about a million times better than Kittel. Don't think anyone considers him a pure sprinter.

Puncheur.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

amenenema posted:

All the sprint stages need cable cams. Just sayin' ASO, you've got the dough.

It was actually a moto that was on the side of the finishing straight. I thought cable cam initially too, but on one of the other angle replays you can see the moto along time. Which also needs to be said, moto camera guys are loving amazing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Russian Bear posted:

Which also needs to be said, moto camera guys are loving amazing.

I wonder how many people train for this job, and how? What do you think salaries are like that there's enough of them to do it?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

tarbrush posted:

It's been interesting to watch Sagan take green whilst not winning a stage and loving up every actual sprint.

Shades of Erik Zabel.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

It was refreshing to see the yellow jersey attacking for once.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

It was refreshing to see the yellow jersey attacking for once.

Wasn't the complaint last year that Froome attacked so much it was taking the piss?

People's problem with the green jersey seems like it's more to do with Sagan being so exceptional no-one can compete with him, doesn't seem fair to call that "mediocrity". If it was mediocrity there would be a contest.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

peanut- posted:

Wasn't the complaint last year that Froome attacked so much it was taking the piss?

People's problem with the green jersey seems like it's more to do with Sagan being so exceptional no-one can compete with him, doesn't seem fair to call that "mediocrity". If it was mediocrity there would be a contest.

I might be , but about all I remember from last year is a phalanx of sky riders pushing Froome up the mountain and by the time they were dropped, Froome just had to go a bit further by himself against no one. Froome didn't really have to do poo poo last year.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

kimbo305 posted:

I wonder how many people train for this job, and how? What do you think salaries are like that there's enough of them to do it?

One day I totally want to try it, but first I have to master steadicamming.

There's a lot of niche camera op jobs like that, but you sort of have to luck into them or know somebody who can get you through training of some description.

Edit: And don't forget the bike rider in that shot, he was matching the sprinting speed perfectly. That's half the battle. Think of helicopter pilots following car chases.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Dirk Pitt posted:

I might be , but about all I remember from last year is a phalanx of sky riders pushing Froome up the mountain and by the time they were dropped, Froome just had to go a bit further by himself against no one. Froome didn't really have to do poo poo last year.

But in 2012 Froome did all the domestique poo poo for Wiggings when he could have very easily gone his own way and won the whole thing. He pretty much ran in circles around Wiggings in steep mountain uphill because he was so loving pissed, bored and doped.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Dirk Pitt posted:

I think you're merging memories of 2012 and 2013 a bit. The Sky train was pretty strong last year, but Froome's juiced up rampages up Mont Ventoux and Ax 3 Domaines weren't exactly him just holding a wheel.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Froome riding away from Quintana while sitting down was a massive piss taking

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Byolante posted:

Froome riding away from Quintana while sitting down was a massive piss taking

I was loving chimping out when he did that.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hegay posted:

I was loving chimping out when he did that.

I was cheering like mad that a good lad from Kenya was dominating so well.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Russian Bear posted:

It was actually a moto that was on the side of the finishing straight. I thought cable cam initially too, but on one of the other angle replays you can see the moto along time. Which also needs to be said, moto camera guys are loving amazing.

I know, but the vast majority of stage finishes don't have the extra moto lane.

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

Was Quintana skipping this year's tour more on him really being tired from the Giro or his team management?

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

His team seemingly had an obligation to Valverde so they forced Quintana to ride the Giro.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

At what speed/grade is it no longer worth it to have teammates to draft off of? I know they can also serve to run down attacks, but I am wondering how many watts they can save you on slow grinding climbs.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kimbo305 posted:

At what speed/grade is it no longer worth it to have teammates to draft off of? I know they can also serve to run down attacks, but I am wondering how many watts they can save you on slow grinding climbs.

Anything below 5mph would be a bit pointless but does depend on the direction of the wind. Also theres a major psychological booster having a team mate to do all the work.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

serious gaylord posted:

Anything below 5mph would be a bit pointless but does depend on the direction of the wind. Also theres a major psychological booster having a team mate to do all the work.

The psychological boost of being on someone's wheel vs. leading the train/on your own is enormous.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Does being in the peloton change much between flat and climbing? I would naively assume that they space out more on the climb because people weave a lot more, but if you're going slower you need to be that much closer to the wheel in front to get any real gain from it. Does the draft just pull people into line?

Clugg
Apr 21, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

The best climbers will ride up an HC at speeds of over 20km/h, so having someone in front still helps, especially if it's windy. It generally won't be a teammate though, at least not at the front of the race.

And yeah, not having to set your own pace helps a lot.

Clugg fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 28, 2014

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I just noticed the Vuelta starts with my favorite event, the team time trial :getin:, then I noticed it ends with an ITT. Seems like a buzz kill off a way to end a grand tour to me. At least compared to the crit at the end of the Tour de France. Is this normal?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Those seem like very short stages.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Pocket posted:

His team seemingly had an obligation to Valverde so they forced Quintana to ride the Giro.

Will be for the best if Quintana can take the Vuelta. Then he can focus on completing the set.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Dirk Pitt posted:

I just noticed the Vuelta starts with my favorite event, the team time trial :getin:, then I noticed it ends with an ITT. Seems like a buzz kill off a way to end a grand tour to me. At least compared to the crit at the end of the Tour de France. Is this normal?

It depends on which sub-race you are following. In the TdF, the penultimate day was an ITT that saw movement in the general classifcation (GC) ranking with 2nd and 3rd, and 5th and 6th switching places. I think ITTs are a great chance to see individual riders prove their ability. However, I understand that not all people find them entertaining.

And Tony Martin :swoon:

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H65GYfd2e84

amazing stuff, as usual.. one day this will be brought to us live. :-)

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
that pass at 0:45 :staredog:

e: Marianne Vos and Tony Martin should hook up. Their children will be the fastest and ugliest motherfuckers on earth

Knitting Beetles fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 28, 2014

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Pvt Dancer posted:

Their children will be the and ugliest motherfuckers on earth

Vos is frankly not in Martin's league.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

accipter posted:

And Tony Martin :swoon:

In this sport of marginal gains, that lip of his has got to be slowing him down

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

^ Bro needs oxygen more than he needs less drag.

dema posted:

Will be for the best if Quintana can take the Vuelta. Then he can focus on completing the set.

I dunno, he could have ridden and perhaps won an ez-mode tour. The Vuelta this year won't be as easy as it has been previously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clugg
Apr 21, 2005

Dirk Pitt posted:

Sometimes it can be fun to finish with an ITT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWyfb3H7LEg