Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Here's your new thread for Israel/Palestine chat.

I recognize that it's a "current event" but there's enough other stuff going on in the world to keep the thread busy and given the sometimes heated discussions that come along with I/P chat it can be a bit derailing. Enough people are complaining about said derails that I want it to have its own thread. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Name names, Slagcheek

http://time.com/3042640/satellite-russian-ukraine-shelling/

quote:

U.S. officials released satellite images Sunday they say offer proof that Russian forces have been shelling eastern Ukraine in a campaign to assist rebel groups fighting Ukraine’s government in Kiev. Obama administration officials said as early as last week that the Russians were launching attacks in eastern Ukraine.

The U.S. Office of the Director of National Intelligence, which released the civilian-taken satellite images Sunday, said they show visual evidence that Russia has been firing shells across the border at Ukrainian military forces. Officials also said the images show that Russia-backed separatists have used heavy artillery, provided by Russia, in attacks on Ukrainian forces from inside Ukraine.

One image dated July 25/26 shows what DNI claims is “ground scarring” on the Russian side of the border from artillery aimed at Ukrainian military units in Ukraine, as well as the resultant ground craters on the Ukrainian side of the border. A slide from a day earlier is said to show self-propelled artillery on the Russian side of the border oriented toward Ukraine, with impact areas near Ukrainian military units.

Russian officials denied on Friday allegations of involvement in eastern Ukraine, calling it a U.S.-led “smear campaign,” the New York Times reports.

Interesting that it used civilian imagery, I can imagine why

Where's State on this one?

quote:

The release came as Secretary of State John F. Kerry and Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov agreed in a telephone call Sunday that “despite disagreements fighting must be stopped” and talks initiated between the warring parties in Ukraine, according to a Russian government statement reported in Moscow by the Interfax news agency. The State Department said the five-minute call included discussions of both Ukraine and Gaza.

for gently caress's sake

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Obama Africanus posted:

I understand the last newspaper you read was wrapped around fried cod and some fries, but just because things are confusing for your feeble piggy brain doesn't mean they suck. It just means that your cerebral cortex tastes great with eggs and you can buy it canned at wal-mart.

Sometimes I make a pigs brains and queso blanco omelette for breakfast, I call it the "Whips Polish Pig Brains Cooked Faggoty French Style With Lazy Mexican Cheese That Stole Velveetas American Job"

It's the U.N. of breakfast, and all inclusive. Sort of like a thread about current events should be when there's a new front in the massive conflagration in the Middle East.

Whip, you are the worst mod short of all the other mods. And while vas's extensive collection of children's shoes must be hard for anyone to fill, you are doing an astoundingly bad job at it- And that's with even the most conciliatory of views.

I'd say may god have mercy on you but I'm not cashing in any chips with the big man to save you any trouble. I hope you live to see everything you believe in and care for fail you and leave you for naught.

Good day, pig.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

pretty hosed up that you double dipped on this whip

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

Name names, Slagcheek

http://time.com/3042640/satellite-russian-ukraine-shelling/

Interesting that it used civilian imagery, I can imagine why

Where's State on this one?

for gently caress's sake

So, I was an imagery analyst. Commercial imagery makes up the vast majority of holdings. Why wouldn't they release commercial? It would be illogical not to.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
So Russia get caught in what's effectively an act of war, and yet nothing will come of it. Man this world is hosed.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Barnsy posted:

So Russia get caught in what's effectively an act of war, and yet nothing will come of it. Man this world is hosed.

no, unfortunately america doesnt view one group of slackjawed slavs bombing another as a good reason to end this whole loving farce they call humanity

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

no, unfortunately america doesnt view one group of slackjawed slavs bombing another as a good reason to end this whole loving farce they call humanity

Which is a loving shame

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Obama Africanus posted:

I understand the last newspaper you read was wrapped around fried cod and some fries, but just because things are confusing for your feeble piggy brain doesn't mean they suck. It just means that your cerebral cortex tastes great with eggs and you can buy it canned at wal-mart.

Sometimes I make a pigs brains and queso blanco omelette for breakfast, I call it the "Whips Polish Pig Brains Cooked Faggoty French Style With Lazy Mexican Cheese That Stole Velveetas American Job"

It's the U.N. of breakfast, and all inclusive. Sort of like a thread about current events should be when there's a new front in the massive conflagration in the Middle East.

Whip, you are the worst mod short of all the other mods. And while vas's extensive collection of children's shoes must be hard for anyone to fill, you are doing an astoundingly bad job at it- And that's with even the most conciliatory of views.

I'd say may god have mercy on you but I'm not cashing in any chips with the big man to save you any trouble. I hope you live to see everything you believe in and care for fail you and leave you for naught.

Good day, pig.

:golfclap: this was a masterfully executed well thought out post, that's how you know shim cares about you whip, that he is willing to put in the effort to make a beautiful post for you.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Barnsy posted:

lol we literally invaded a country for no loving reason and nothing came of it

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Bolow posted:

Which is a loving shame

top notch reading comprehension debba dawg :waycool:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

white privilege posted:

So, I was an imagery analyst. Commercial imagery makes up the vast majority of holdings. Why wouldn't they release commercial? It would be illogical not to.

I was thinking more in terms of using the civilian stuff for open release helps keep the capacity (and in the unlikely chance the Rus don't already have them, the orbits) of the milbirds more secret. Note the WaPo article just sort of guesses the imagery came from mil satellites, with no basis.

Anansi The Spider
Jan 30, 2014

loved basic so much I decided to stay
RIP I/P thread, also when is russia going to sweep through Ukraine like the loving Jews did to the muzzies back in 1967

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Too bad it wasn't rip anansi the spider :(

Anansi The Spider
Jan 30, 2014

orange juche posted:

Too bad it wasn't rip anansi the spider :(

ranger that

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

is this a thing you and your boot buddies say to each other?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

This. This is a thing no one does. Talk like a normal loving human being.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

you really need to walk down range during a live fire exercise

Anansi The Spider
Jan 30, 2014

I said it because it sounded obnoxious as gently caress in response to orange juche, I know of one man that says "ranger that" unironically. That man was is a DS who lost his hat and badge for giving us blood rifles, rip ds so and so, it was either that or decapitating a deer with an arty sim booby trap

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Anansi The Spider posted:

I said it because it sounded obnoxious as gently caress in response to orange juche, I know of one man that says "ranger that" unironically. That man was is a DS who lost his hat and badge for giving us blood rifles, rip ds so and so, it was either that or decapitating a deer with an arty sim booby trap

thingsthatneverhappened.txt

Anansi The Spider
Jan 30, 2014

Carteret posted:

thingsthatneverhappened.txt

Ok. I keep forgetting that all army personnel whether iet or otherwise are perfect soldiers that would never dream of doing anything for the gently caress of it.

Integrity men integrityy

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've never heard anyone ever say "ranger that", ironically or otherwise, and I am glad of this.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's got to be a thing they make idiot DEPers say, right?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Y'know what gently caress it at least Russia is smart enough to only adopt stray countries that it wants to keep. Pinky swear Dad, we'll give Iraq a bath every week. PLEEEEEEEASE??

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

white privilege posted:

I'm confused, because they did release the images.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

white privilege posted:

lol we literally invaded a country for no loving reason and nothing came of it

Yes, authorized by our Congress and publicly noted so if anyone had a problem it could be aired publicly and against a corrupt dictator nobody liked.

None of this official "no we didn't" when anyone with half a brain knows they did. Don't compare the two.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

psydude posted:

I'm confused, because they did release the images.

yes, he was noting and stating that it was interesting that the imagery was released was commercial. I said of course it was, it would be stupid not to release commercial.

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Yes, authorized by our Congress and publicly noted so if anyone had a problem it could be aired publicly and against a corrupt dictator nobody liked.

None of this official "no we didn't" when anyone with half a brain knows they did. Don't compare the two.

Authorized by Congress based upon intelligence that was incredibly circumstantial at best, and blatantly false at worst. I wasn't aware that a dictator whom "nobody liked" is judicial pretense for starting a war. Don't try to make it out to be some sterling example of American jurisprudence. Granted, I'm speaking with the benefit of hindsight, but the world would be an incontrovertibly better place if we had never invaded Iraq and Saddam Hussein was still in power.

If you want a different comparison, try Yemen. Russia's actions in Ukraine mirror ours there. Of course nothing happened because of them. When you're big enough and have enough leverage, you have quite a free hand to run around with.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

white privilege posted:

Authorized by Congress based upon intelligence that was incredibly circumstantial at best, and blatantly false at worst. I wasn't aware that a dictator whom "nobody liked" is judicial pretense for starting a war.

Are you serious?

quote:

Don't try to make it out to be some sterling example of American jurisprudence. Granted, I'm speaking with the benefit of hindsight, but the world would be an incontrovertibly better place if we had never invaded Iraq and Saddam Hussein was still in power.
I agree but that has literally nothing to do with what we're talking about. Its a complete nonsequiter.

quote:

If you want a different comparison, try Yemen. Russia's actions in Ukraine mirror ours there. Of course nothing happened because of them. When you're big enough and have enough leverage, you have quite a free hand to run around with.
We have Yemen's OK for that and we aren't trying to bring down the yemeni government, just terrorists even they don't like. You are reaching hard here for a "Amerikkka does it too!" comparison and it just isn't happening. I don't even know why you brought this up when the topic was "Russia has committed acts of war against the government of Ukraine"

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Are you serious?

I agree but that has literally nothing to do with what we're talking about. Its a complete nonsequiter.

We have Yemen's OK for that and we aren't trying to bring down the yemeni government, just terrorists even they don't like. You are reaching hard here for a "Amerikkka does it too!" comparison and it just isn't happening. I don't even know why you brought this up when the topic was "Russia has committed acts of war against the government of Ukraine"

Yep. I'm serious. Nothing in the first line was even remotely shocking. Anyway, the topic was that guy can't believe it that nothing is happening to Russia after committing acts of war. This has nothing to do with "amerikkka does it too" and everything to do with the fact that, as I said, powerful actors can act unilaterally without consequence when they have enough leverage. Iraq is easily the best recent example of this.

As for Yemen, calling it the "yemeni government" is kind of funny, since Saleh has little to no popular support, or influence outside the capital. In fact, the domestically unpopular regime of Saleh having the support of the US has quite a bit of similarity to the domestically unpopular Yushchenko having the support of Russia. That game simply accelerated, and we're now past that phase in Ukraine. In any case, there's no moral or ethical argument here, simply a statement of facts. That guy expressed surprise at the idea that Russia could "get away" with something like this, and the first comment was referencing the fact that it should not be a surprise in the slightest.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

We have Yemen's part of the Yemeni government's Saleh and a few of his cronies' OK for (some of) that and we aren't trying to bring down the yemeni government Saleh, just terrorists tribesmen even they he don't like because they're coming dangerously close to overthrowing him.

e;fb

regarding Russia/Ukraine and repercussions for a shocking act of war, the strong do what they can, the weak suffer what they must. Been the rules of the game for over 2000 years and counting, and I don't expect it to change anytime soon.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
The whole Ukraine/Russia scenario is just a mass marketing campaign for Battlefield 5. DICE will kick off a small regional conflict for every new DLC, culminating in Arizona trying to secede with Joe Arpaio declaring himself god-emperor and trying to exterminate anyone who is more than 2 shades off lilly white

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

The whole Ukraine/Russia scenario is just a mass marketing campaign for Battlefield 5. DICE will kick off a small regional conflict for every new DLC, culminating in Arizona trying to secede with Joe Arpaio declaring himself god-emperor and trying to exterminate anyone who is more than 2 shades off lilly white

I would buy this game.
I actually know the guy who is "military advisor" to dice. I am going to have to ask him about this. What is he keeping from me??

Someone buy Joe an account here and point him to the ask a cop thread. I have so many questions for that guy. Like what does he need a mobile artillery for?

Can any of you cop goons care to explain this one for me? :v:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

moosepoop posted:

I would buy this game.
I actually know the guy who is "military advisor" to dice. I am going to have to ask him about this. What is he keeping from me??

Someone buy Joe an account here and point him to the ask a cop thread. I have so many questions for that guy. Like what does he need a mobile artillery for?

It says right on the barrel, for "Blasting Away at Drugs."

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
For shelling Sonora in Mexico with white phosphorus as a 'pro-active policing' measure? Or dispersing large groups of teenage refugees gathering by the border?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

moosepoop posted:

I would buy this game.

wanna say it's a swat vehicle for forced entry?....like in the naked gun 2.5 movie.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

Wasabi the J posted:

It says right on the barrel, for "Blasting Away at Drugs."

Suddenly I want to become a cop in Arizona.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
It's been mentioned here before, but that wasn't the tank Arpaio let Steven Seagal drive through some poor schlub's house, that was a different tank

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Arpaio wasted a bunch of his homeland security handout on a tank that doesn't run because he's an idiot playacting for his moron constituents. A good comparison would be Donald Trump, he's actually a pretty lovely businessman who's managed to survive this long by passing the cost of his failures off on anyone dumb enough to invest with him. A millionaire who goes to extremes to pretend he's a billionaire.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Looks more like self-propelled artillery, and I'm betting they spent more time & money on the paint job than maintenance. Maintenance is a pain in the dick for tracked vehicles but necessary* if you want the damned thing to start and move more than five feet.

*Russian museum pieces that haven't moved since WWII excepted. Pour in some diesel and you're good to go.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Arpaio wasted a bunch of his homeland security handout on a tank that doesn't run because he's an idiot playacting for his moron constituents.

It's not like the tanks that do run, or the APCs or RIB boats or almost any of the other poo poo that Homeland Security money's been spent on by PDs across the country has been particularly useful for non-sham crime fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Should have built a killdozer and used that instead, then I wouldn't think that he is such a oval office.

• Locked thread