Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

wyoak posted:

Every sport except Soccer, NHL Playoff OT, and Baseball, but mostly Football
Problem:

Too many goddamn commercials

Solution:
Plaster ads on more poo poo but less commercials. NFL uniforms looking like NASCAR suits would be OK with me if they'd eliminate all commercials except, say, a short break between quarters and a whole shitload during halftime. Added side benefit of less Terry Bradshaw/Shannon Sharpe/Frank Caliendo/etc.
Baseball has a natural commercial break so it's not really applicable.

If you combined this with a 15 second play clock I would consider the NFL watchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Panzeh posted:

If you combined this with a 15 second play clock I would consider the NFL watchable.

See that won't happen because everyone's brilliant idea to reduce concussions involves players seeing even fewer snaps than they do now.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I'll take all the dumb commercials imaginable if I don't have to see giant awful logos on the uniforms.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 16 days!)

wyoak posted:

Every sport except Soccer, NHL Playoff OT, and Baseball, but mostly Football
Problem:

Too many goddamn commercials

Solution:
Plaster ads on more poo poo but less commercials. NFL uniforms looking like NASCAR suits would be OK with me if they'd eliminate all commercials except, say, a short break between quarters and a whole shitload during halftime. Added side benefit of less Terry Bradshaw/Shannon Sharpe/Frank Caliendo/etc.
Baseball has a natural commercial break so it's not really applicable.

Likely real world solution:
The NFL will plaster ads on everything and also add more commercials.

NASCAR has commercials. NASCAR races have more commercials than actual racing. Good luck and godspeed.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Peanut President posted:

NASCAR has commercials. NASCAR races have more commercials than actual racing. Good luck and godspeed.

The full-course yellow flag is a somewhat natural commercial break once pit stops are over.

American coverage of F1 takes a commercial break every five laps even though the races are usually green the whole time, though!

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

iajanus posted:

Fixing the Nrl:
Problem:
Melbourne is a cheating pack of cunts.
Solution:
Fire Melbourne into the sun. Also solves question of better city with it and Sydney, since being in the sun would probably outweigh having Penrith in the "unliveable poo poo" category.

This but Brisbane instead.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

runoverbobby posted:

The full-course yellow flag is a somewhat natural commercial break once pit stops are over.

American coverage of F1 takes a commercial break every five laps even though the races are usually green the whole time, though!

That's the rate NASCAR goes. Hell exciting battle for the lead? gently caress that noise, be back later for a commercial. Comes back to see the lead changes.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

BMB5150 posted:

That's the rate NASCAR goes. Hell exciting battle for the lead? gently caress that noise, be back later for a commercial. Comes back to see the lead changes.

Could be worse, could be the British Coverage of F1, exiting battle for the lead? gently caress that noise, let the commentators and race director continue to fellate Lewis Hamilton. Try and work out what is going on with the rest of the race from the live timing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I've thought this since the ITV days, but there either needs to be a dedicated world feed commentary for F1 that doesn't take sides, or the Sky guys need to realize that they're the de facto english-language world feed, and therefore should at least try to be impartial.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

runoverbobby posted:

NASCAR has commercials during green flag. NASCAR has commercials during lead changes. NASCAR has commercials while a wreck is in progress.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
And lol if you think that the NFL would replace TV ads with ads on jerseys and the field. They will do both!

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Allowing the clock to continually run in American football is actually a very good idea.

1) it will reduce concussions
2) it will reduce forum posts about "fencing response :fap:"
3) it will eliminate commercial breaks
4) it will probably reduce the amount of time the coffee breaks between plays last
5) it will make American football fans realize that their players roll around on the field injured just as often as soccer players do

JediGandalf
Sep 3, 2004

I have just the top prospect YOU are looking for. Whaddya say, boss? What will it take for ME to get YOU to give up your outfielders?
Archery

Problem: Not popular enough.

Solution: Needs more dystopian archery movies. Recurves only.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

DJExile posted:

An independent league is experimenting with some ideas to speed baseball up. Short version:

3 pitcher/catcher/manager meetings per game
Pinch runners for catchers
6 warmup pitches instead of 8
Intentional walks automatically awarded
Enforce rules 6.02 and 8.04 (stepping out of the box, pitchers deliver within 12 seconds)
Umpires emphasize controlling pace of play

I like all of this

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

JediGandalf posted:

Archery

Problem: Not popular enough.

Solution: Needs more dystopian archery movies. Recurves only.

Make everybody shoot like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGnxeSbb3g

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

runoverbobby posted:

5) it will make American football fans realize that their players roll around on the field injured just as often as soccer players do

Well yes, but they are actually injured.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Well yes, but they are actually injured.

Unless they're playing against a fast-paced offense

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

runoverbobby posted:

4) it will probably reduce the amount of time the coffee breaks between plays last

This is actually one of those things that I've always found to be kind of funny that people never talk about. It's waaaaaay more noticable how much time is wasted on this when you're at the game instead of watching on TV, though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

This is actually one of those things that I've always found to be kind of funny that people never talk about. It's waaaaaay more noticable how much time is wasted on this when you're at the game instead of watching on TV, though.

This was the tough thing to get used to as a MAC team fan. BG games were almost never televised, so you got a game knocked out in maybe 2 hours and it was awesome. Then TV started showing up (and believe me, we love the exposure) and all of a sudden games went at least an hour longer. Hell, nowadays even if we don't have TV, we keep taking "media timeouts" just so everyone stays used to the pace of a non-televised game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DJExile posted:

This was the tough thing to get used to as a MAC team fan. BG games were almost never televised, so you got a game knocked out in maybe 2 hours and it was awesome. Then TV started showing up (and believe me, we love the exposure) and all of a sudden games went at least an hour longer. Hell, nowadays even if we don't have TV, we keep taking "media timeouts" just so everyone stays used to the pace of a non-televised game.

The media timeouts are generally only between changes of possession, but yeah those can suck too. It's always fun when you have a drive end with points then get a commercial break both before and after the kickoff.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

commercial break both before and after the kickoff.

gently caress these to death, jesus they are the worst

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

DJExile posted:

gently caress these to death, jesus they are the worst

Even better:

Score, commercial, official review, commercial, extra point try, commercial, kickoff, commercial, run one play -> two minute warning, commercial.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

DJExile posted:

Hell, nowadays even if we don't have TV, we keep taking "media timeouts" just so everyone stays used to the pace of a non-televised game.

This is probably done for radio. Once you've introduced ad space it won't be taken away. Even college volleyball generally takes media timeouts.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

All sports
Problem: Commercials/ads trying to make a quick buck and hoodwink the general public.
Fix: Ban commercials from TV forevermore.

:eyepop:

JediGandalf
Sep 3, 2004

I have just the top prospect YOU are looking for. Whaddya say, boss? What will it take for ME to get YOU to give up your outfielders?

Zogo posted:

All sports
Problem: Commercials/ads trying to make a quick buck and hoodwink the general public.
Fix: Ban commercials from TV forevermore.

:eyepop:
Seriously. It nearly takes me 4 minutes to fire off six shots.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
NBA
Problem: Last two minutes of a game dragging out due to fouling and free-throw shooting
Solution: Five point, half court free throw. A team could opt to take a single, five point free throw from the half court line. They could also just take two normal free throws. Even if it wasn't used often, and had a low probability of success, it would still add uncertainty to the game.
(I don't actually think this would work out, but its an interesting idea to think about.)

Problem: Flopping.
Solution: If a player hits the the floor (not just down to their knees, but hits the floor totally), they have to take a 2-3 minute break to make sure they are okay. This would double as a safety rule: players who really have hit the floor would have 2 minutes to make sure they aren't hurt, and it would dissuade players from flopping. (This is actually a serious idea)

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

glowing-fish posted:

NBA
Solution: If a player hits the the floor (not just down to their knees, but hits the floor totally), they have to take a 2-3 minute break to make sure they are okay. This would double as a safety rule: players who really have hit the floor would have 2 minutes to make sure they aren't hurt, and it would dissuade players from flopping. (This is actually a serious idea)

So every team would carry two players whose entire job was to tackle LeBron James 6 times a game?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Mornacale posted:

So every team would carry two players whose entire job was to tackle LeBron James 6 times a game?

Which is kind of like having those players near the end of the bench whose main job is to commit fouls in the fourth quarter.

I mean, there is no perfect system, but at least in a scenario like this, you wouldn't have good players flopping because their team would need them on the floor.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

glowing-fish posted:

Solution: Call offensive fouls by the rules instead of the players needing to be visibly shoved back or to the floor.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

glowing-fish posted:

This is the stupidest loving idea I've ever heard

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
I would rather the video review coordinator reviewing contentious foul calls during timeouts and calling down the flops that were rewarded to the floor crew.

However, that is also a stuipd idea, so I would rather the refs just not give known floppers any benefit of the doubt any time they flail or get 'pushed'.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Problem: I don't like MLB's playoffs because I think it's silly for a league that has a long enough season that one can do statistical sampling to then have it's champion crowned through what's basically a crap-shoot.
Fix: In place of a playoff, the top six teams in each league play a month long round-robin season, and then the team with the best record in each go to the World Series. More details here: I have spent way too much time thinking about something that will never happen.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

SirPhoebos posted:

Problem: I don't like MLB's playoffs because I think it's silly for a league that has a long enough season that one can do statistical sampling to then have it's champion crowned through what's basically a crap-shoot.
Fix: In place of a playoff, the top six teams in each league play a month long round-robin season, and then the team with the best record in each go to the World Series. More details here: I have spent way too much time thinking about something that will never happen.

Don't some of the winter leagues already do something along these lines?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
MLB loves that crapshoot effect of the playoffs, it allows them to gloss over the realities of competitive imbalance due to financial inequity.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

SirPhoebos posted:

This reminds me:

Problem: Interleague
Solution: No Interleague.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Peanut President posted:

This reminds me:

Problem: Interleague
Solution: No Interleague.
gently caress you, buddy, interleague's cool.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I don't hate interleague play in principle but I hate it being used to obscure the fact that Bud Selig is a lovely commissioner and lovely person

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Interleague was cool when it meant I didn't have to play Super Bases Loaded 3 to see Blue Jays vs Expos.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

MLB loves that crapshoot effect of the playoffs, it allows them to gloss over the realities of competitive imbalance due to financial inequity.

Due to the nature of the game the MLB playoffs are a microcosm of the MLB regular season so it's basically a crapshoot of a crapshoot some seasons.

As an example the 2012 Giants had an SRS of .2 and swept the world series. The Rays has the second highest SRS at .9 and weren't even in the playoffs.

If this was the NBA it'd be like the Clippers missing the playoffs due to being in a tough division and the Bulls winning the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Cricket

Problem: Nobody has five days to devote to watching a test
Solution: Best of 11 T20 series

Problem: Not enough games in India
Solution: More IPL

Problem: Corruption at high levels
Solution: Bribe ICC not to investigate

This message has been brought to you by the committee to reinstate Lalat Modi to the BCCI

• Locked thread