Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Definitely don't get the A3Xs if you have any expectation of hearing bass. There is literally nothing below 60hz. If you're mastering chamber music, I guess they're OK by themselves, but for anything else they desperately need an 8" or 10" sub of some kind.

Demoing should be the number one priority when buying speakers. Brand names, price and "pride of ownership" are all irrelevant if you don't like how the speakers sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So I got the F5s, love them a lot however I'm trying to figure out what cable I need to use the XLR input. Is this what I need? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Live-Wire-3-5mm-Dual-1-4--Y-Cable-101172559-i1166742.gc

Edit: I guess I need some sort of interface? Any recommendations that aren't stupidly expensive? I don't need any special recording features, just audio output.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 21, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

flyboi posted:

So I got the F5s, love them a lot however I'm trying to figure out what cable I need to use the XLR input. Is this what I need? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Live-Wire-3-5mm-Dual-1-4--Y-Cable-101172559-i1166742.gc

That cable you linked can definitely be used (the "bal in" inputs take both XLR and jack connectors), it will simply turn the balanced inputs into unbalanced inputs, and work exactly the same as using the RCA inputs.

Do any of the devices you use have XLR or balanced jack (TRS) outputs? If not, there will be no benefit from using the balanced inputs ("bal in") instead of the unbalanced RCA input ("unbal in"), and you should just use any normal stereo 3.5mm to RCA cable, that you probably have lying around anyway.

If you do have XLR outputs on your device and want to use those, what you need is commonly called a microphone cable.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I do not, but I wouldn't mind buying some sort of usb interface that does have balanced outputs. Searching around I end up with like 8 line mixers and well, I don't record music so I don't need all that funky stuff. Is there any super dumbed down interface that is strictly a balanced output?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well, there's the Cambridge DACMagic Plus, but that's kinda expensive.

And the Benchmark DAC1/DAC2, but that's even more expensive (although supposedly it's the best DAC/preamp in the world).

There's also the Matric Mini-i, which is expensive.

The Emotiva XDA-2 is slightly less expensive, but nowhere near cheap.

XLR outputs aren't really A Thing outside of pro audio, and they're you're going to be getting all kinds of multichannel stuff and mic preamps and whatnot.

I use RCA from my DAC to my preamp, then RCA-XLR to my crossover, and XLR to my speakers. The only reason I do it like that is because the crossover is all-XLR, otherwise I would have used RCA for everything.

E: I fully understand the inherent appeal in using the best available connector, but it won't do any difference to the sound.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 21, 2014

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Well I guess I'll stick to my 3.5mm to RCA breakout cable then. There's no reason to run these through an amp, they're powered speakers I just liked the idea of a balanced signal to reduce hiss from interference on the cable. Oh well thanks!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

flyboi posted:

Well I guess I'll stick to my 3.5mm to RCA breakout cable then. There's no reason to run these through an amp, they're powered speakers I just liked the idea of a balanced signal to reduce hiss from interference on the cable. Oh well thanks!

A balanced connection will help reduce the effect of interference received by the cable from other sources, but it's only really a factor on long cable runs and/or in electrically noisy environments. I certainly couldn't tell any difference in my living room.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What is the current cheap PC speaker recommendation? My fiance has just gotten into computer games (oh god) and although we just put a computer together for her, we haven't jumped on any speakers yet. I'd say I'd be willing to spend up to $40. Something like this maybe?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Droid Washington posted:

What is the current cheap PC speaker recommendation? My fiance has just gotten into computer games (oh god) and although we just put a computer together for her, we haven't jumped on any speakers yet. I'd say I'd be willing to spend up to $40. Something like this maybe?

I know, you probably don't want to hear it, but speakers are the part of a PC system you will use the longest (10+ years if they are decent) and you will use every time you use the PC, so I never really understood skimping when it comes to that (and $40 is really, really low for speakers). I would suggest to invest a bit more and go with either Behringer's cheap active studio monitors (great for the money, bearable sound if you don't need bass), M-Audio or the always recommended Audioengine A2
For $40 you would be better off getting her a pair of decent headphones.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Droid Washington posted:

It's honestly going to be hard for us to give a recommendation under ~$100. At your price range, pretty much all the speakers are going to sound the same and have similar build quality. The ones you picked are probably just as good as any other. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Decius is right in that headphones are going to give a better bang for your buck.

If you're willing to stretch (and don't feel you have to - quality speakers may just not be a priority for you), the Behringers above or the M-Audio AV 30's might be a good option for getting your toes wet.

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studi...s=M-audio+av-30

Just keep in mind that for gaming, most people prefer heavy bass. Neither of those are going to give you any of that (and neither will anything in your price point, TBH).

Edit: Check Craigslist. What metro area are you in? I can take a look.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 27, 2014

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it. I have a set of Audioengine A2s that I love, and I wanted to get her something similar, but as she reminds me every time I buy something, we're supposed to be saving up for our honeymoon. We live in the DFW area, but I honestly think she's going to be just fine with these Logitechs now that I've really thought about it. If she gets more into gaming and we're not saving for anything important anymore, I can always give her my A2s and upgrade to something else. :toot:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I actually had those Logitechs at work for a while and they're fine. Better than some cheap desktop speakers I've heard.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Decius posted:

I know, you probably don't want to hear it, but speakers are the part of a PC system you will use the longest (10+ years if they are decent) and you will use every time you use the PC, so I never really understood skimping when it comes to that (and $40 is really, really low for speakers).

Not sure how they stack up on the goon consensus but I've been using the same pair of Logitech Z-5500's for just about 10 years now that I think about it. Everything still works perfectly, and now that I'm in a studio apartment, it doubles as my home theater system. Might not be ideal for the audiophile, but it's still working quite admirably.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The Creative 2.1 setup I've had the for the last 8 years or so has just broken on me, so I'm after a recommendation.

Mostly used for music these days, but I do game now and again.

Wouldn't want to spend much more than £150, and would really like an easily accessible volume control and somewhere to plug my M50's into. Soundcard is a Xonar DGX.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Fhqwhgads posted:

Not sure how they stack up on the goon consensus but I've been using the same pair of Logitech Z-5500's for just about 10 years now that I think about it. Everything still works perfectly, and now that I'm in a studio apartment, it doubles as my home theater system. Might not be ideal for the audiophile, but it's still working quite admirably.

No question it lasts long, it's Logitech stuff and that's usually long lasting (at least the older stuff). What I mean is that it is something you will use a long, long time and that means that - at least for me - it's also something I'm willing to invest some more money to have good audio quality. Paying 300 Dollar for a good pair of speakers is in the long run a better investment than the same 300 Dollar in a new graphics card that needs to be replaced by a faster version 3 years down the road. Doesn't mean you won't have a lot of fun for a long time with sub-100 Dollar speakers, but good speakers with good sound quality in my experience manage to put a smile on your face every time you hear them, which for me is pretty much every day.

vaginal cramps
Nov 17, 2003

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade from my Logitech Z-2300 to a quality 5.1 setup for games and music.

My price range is up to $500

I have looked at some Klipsch sets but I'm not sure if any of their lower end setups are a good value.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

vaginal cramps posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade from my Logitech Z-2300 to a quality 5.1 setup for games and music.

I have looked at some Klipsch sets but I'm not sure if any of their lower end setups are a good value.

Let me be the first to say...

$300 for desktop stereo speakers + $200 for headphones

I don't know anyone that games in 5.1 anymore. If you want immersion put some good headphones on.

vaginal cramps
Nov 17, 2003

MMD3 posted:

Let me be the first to say...

$300 for desktop stereo speakers + $200 for headphones

I don't know anyone that games in 5.1 anymore. If you want immersion put some good headphones on.

I have some Beyerdynamic DT990s so I'm good on headphones. And I have a decent soundcard in the Xonar STX.

I would like to take advantage of better positional sound in games, and generally have a more robust speaker setup. I often have guests over hanging out and playing games on my other computers so headphones aren't usually an option.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

vaginal cramps posted:

I have some Beyerdynamic DT990s so I'm good on headphones. And I have a decent soundcard in the Xonar STX.

I would like to take advantage of better positional sound in games, and generally have a more robust speaker setup. I often have guests over hanging out and playing games on my other computers so headphones aren't usually an option.

So if you're playing say an FPS with friends and you have 5.1, and they're sitting in the same room but you guys are looking different directions in the game... how does that work for positioning? I would think it'd be best to have a spare set of headphones or two for when friends come over... or tell them to bring their own? Unless you're not playing FPS at all...

vaginal cramps
Nov 17, 2003

MMD3 posted:

So if you're playing say an FPS with friends and you have 5.1, and they're sitting in the same room but you guys are looking different directions in the game... how does that work for positioning? I would think it'd be best to have a spare set of headphones or two for when friends come over... or tell them to bring their own? Unless you're not playing FPS at all...

We're not always playing the same game. There is just people hanging out and on the computers. If we wear headphones we also have to use voice chat to hear each other, which is loving stupid because I play games with my neighbor all the time and I don't want to use a third party program to talk across the room.

I already have a fair quality 2.1 system, which will now be attached to my extra desktop machine.
I already have nice headphones.

You're being really helpful and all, but I'm looking for suggestions for a 5.1 system because that's what I want.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

vaginal cramps posted:

You're being really helpful and all, but I'm looking for suggestions for a 5.1 system because that's what I want.

One idea: up the budget a bit and buy a genuine 5.1 home theater setup. You can connect all your other music stuff into it, you get a remote, you can repurpose it as home theater if/when you fancy one.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Most people who check this thread regularly probably don't have suggestions cause they aren't using 5.1 themselves. It's just not very common anymore. You might be better served by looking into home theater setups.

edit: beaten.

powderific fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 28, 2014

vaginal cramps
Nov 17, 2003

Hob_Gadling posted:

One idea: up the budget a bit and buy a genuine 5.1 home theater setup. You can connect all your other music stuff into it, you get a remote, you can repurpose it as home theater if/when you fancy one.

I'm not completely sure what the difference is in a PC speaker system and home theater. I assume its generally a lack of receiver but I'm not sure what the true distinction is.

I have been looking at this set from Klipsch:

http://www.klipsch.com/high-definition-theater-500-home-theater-system/details

Am I getting ripped off if I pay for a set like that instead of getting loose speakers and a receiver?

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

vaginal cramps posted:

"Multimedia" speakers designed for PCs suck at 5.1. Probably your best bet is the Logitech Z906 but really, if you need 5.1, you ought to go with a HT setup.

Edit: Beaten. Btw the Klipsch set you linked are passive and would need a receiver.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That Klipsh set isn't powered. The sub is powered, but you'd need a receiver to power the rest of it.

vaginal cramps
Nov 17, 2003

Thanks guys.
I'm going to read up in the Home Audio newbie thread and just build a real system. At first glance, I'm thinking I can get a decent setup for like 600 or a bit more than that, which I can handle.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

vaginal cramps posted:

I'm not completely sure what the difference is in a PC speaker system and home theater.

Receiver which gives you better connectivity (CD, DVD, iPod, pretty much whatever you can come up with), a number of network and other convenience features (like remote!) and generally better sound quality. You also have a vastly better choice of speakers. Most importantly, if and when something breaks it's easier and cheaper to replace just the broken part. Or if upgradeitis strikes.

The system we tend to suggest in the home theater newbies thread looks something like this:

Denon X-1000 receiver ($279 @ Amazon)
Pioneer speakers (from Newegg):

Fronts SP-FS51 ($149 / pair)
Surrounds SP-BS21 ($79 / pair)
Center channel SP-C22 ($97)
Wires and banana plugs: $25

Total: $629

OR

Fronts and surrounds SP-BS21 ($79 / pair)
Center channel SP-C22 ($97)
Wires and banana plugs: $25

Total: $559

Add a subwoofer if you think you need one. Normal suggestion is Polk PSW505 12" sub for about $200 more, if you really want to hit the low notes. If you live in an apartment it may be the safer choice to pick a pair of SP-FS51 as fronts and forego the sub completely.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Logitech Z506 5.1 yay/nay? Currently just using my Fender Passport, would be nice to free up some desk space and add 5.1 capability. Currently on for $60 at Best Buy in the states, $84 at Future Sop here, we have to pay an extra 50% on everything because cold or moose or something.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Just got the Topping VX1 and hooked it up.

http://www.amazon.com/TOPPING-Tripath-Subwoofer-Amplifier-Digital/dp/B00H6XDE4S

Headphones and bookshelf speakers sound clearer than my old setup of onboard sound plus an old stereo receiver. It has plenty of power and the controls are very clean and easy to use. Overall I'm happy that I was able to get a USB DAC + Basic Headphone Amp + T-Amp for $120.

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Just got the Topping VX1 and hooked it up.

http://www.amazon.com/TOPPING-Tripath-Subwoofer-Amplifier-Digital/dp/B00H6XDE4S

Headphones and bookshelf speakers sound clearer than my old setup of onboard sound plus an old stereo receiver. It has plenty of power and the controls are very clean and easy to use. Overall I'm happy that I was able to get a USB DAC + Basic Headphone Amp + T-Amp for $120.

I've been eyeing that DAC/Amp as well. What bookshelf speakers do you have?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

fack you posted:

I've been eyeing that DAC/Amp as well. What bookshelf speakers do you have?

I got a pair of newer Dayton Audio B652s, so not great but tolerable. I will probably upgrade them soon.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So I need a decent set of speakers that I can hook up to a laptop when I want to play a movie on the TV. Budget is up to $100 but I'd really like to keep it within 50-100. I've looked over some of the recommendations here but it doesn't look like any of them ship to Toronto Canada, so I don't really know where to go.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Edifier E10's are pretty well regarded, within your budget, and seem to be on amazon canada.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Does anyone have some good recommendations for a way to hook up my PC, PS4 and vinyl player to the same set of analog speakers?
I'm thinking maybe a small reciever of some kind, something mid-high end, but I really don't know the first thing about that kind of stuff.

Any help would be appreciated :)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

QuasiQuack posted:

Does anyone have some good recommendations for a way to hook up my PC, PS4 and vinyl player to the same set of analog speakers?
I'm thinking maybe a small reciever of some kind, something mid-high end, but I really don't know the first thing about that kind of stuff.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Are the speakers self-powered or just a pair of bog-standard audio speakers?

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Are the speakers self-powered or just a pair of bog-standard audio speakers?

They're self-powered, unless I'm an idiot who can't read

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

In that case, you need a switchbox with RCA connections. You could use a preamp, but it would be complete overkill to add another set of volume and bass/treble controls into the mix when your speakers already have them built in.

Something like this will do nicely:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011007&p_id=3027&seq=1&format=2

Disregard the component video connections, you'll only be using the audio connections.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Cool, thanks!

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Audioengine a2+ users: How irritating is it to have volume control knob on the back of the speaker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CubanMissile posted:

Audioengine a2+ users: How irritating is it to have volume control knob on the back of the speaker?

I found it easy to live with. Basically just set it to a good level and instead control the overall volume from the player you're using.