Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Does anyone know if the bill starts running on a Cricket SIM immediately when you order it? It looks like you have to pay for a month of service up front when ordering a SIM card and I vaguely remember someone mentioning that it did, but I wasn't sure. I guess it makes more sense that it would start once the SIM was activated.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Thanks! :)

You can shoot me an e-mail at one of my throwaways:

----edit------

E-mail sent. Thanks!

tonic fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

tonic posted:

Does anyone know if the bill starts running on a Cricket SIM immediately when you order it? It looks like you have to pay for a month of service up front when ordering a SIM card and I vaguely remember someone mentioning that it did, but I wasn't sure. I guess it makes more sense that it would start once the SIM was activated.

E-mail sent. Thanks!

Starts when you activate.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Starts when you activate and if you're porting over, the port doesn't start until you activate as well.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
How do I generate a referral through Cricket? I see no mention of this from the site.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

TraderStav posted:

How do I generate a referral through Cricket? I see no mention of this from the site.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/referrals

Perick
May 27, 2003
GoonGrrrls = Teh WIN
Do I need a referral code before I purchase a phone and sign up for service or after?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Perick posted:

Do I need a referral code before I purchase a phone and sign up for service or after?

You actually don't need the referral code, it's mostly so that you (and your referrer) can get some credit on your respective bills for giving Cricket a new customer.

You enter the code after you purchase a phone and sign up for service.

Perick
May 27, 2003
GoonGrrrls = Teh WIN
I get that I don't "need" the code, but the $25 will be nice for the referrer and me. I just wasn't sure where in the process I would have to input it.

Thx ThermoPhysical

Perick fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 24, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Perick posted:

I get that I don't "need" the code, but the $25 will be nice for the referrer and me. I just wasn't sure where in the process I would have to input it.

That being said, anyone have a code? Send it to perick76 at gmail please.

I can shoot you one, I'll first send you an e-mail asking for your name since they'll want that.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

So I'm thinking about taking advantage of the T-Mobile dork plan with a Moto G LTE, but poking around on the site it's not listed as one of their supported phones. Forum posts seem to suggest it's possible, though. Can I use a Moto G with this plan, or am I going to have to get the Moto X instead?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

kazmeyer posted:

So I'm thinking about taking advantage of the T-Mobile dork plan with a Moto G LTE, but poking around on the site it's not listed as one of their supported phones. Forum posts seem to suggest it's possible, though. Can I use a Moto G with this plan, or am I going to have to get the Moto X instead?

You'll be fine, you can use it with any plan on T-Mobile or AT&T.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

kazmeyer posted:

T-Mobile's compatibility guide is terrible. When I set my wife's phone up it couldn't find the Galaxy S4 she has that was originally purchased from a corporate owned T-Mobile store.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Added Ultra Mobile $19 plan

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
Is it correct that Cricket disables the tethering feature of the iPhone?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Ok, potentially dumb question here, but when I upgrade to a new phone or swap phones on the tmobile account, all I have to do is pop the sim card into the new phone, right?

I can't seem to find anything online on the site that says "enter new info" or whatever, so I'm a bit confused. Not used to having options for sim cards.

In other news, holy gently caress this nokia 920 is a loving brick of a phone. I could probably kill someone with this thing and not smash the glass.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You take the sim out of the old phone and put it in the new phone. All the SIM does is tell your phone what network you're one and what phone number you have.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Ok, potentially dumb question here, but when I upgrade to a new phone or swap phones on the tmobile account, all I have to do is pop the sim card into the new phone, right?

I can't seem to find anything online on the site that says "enter new info" or whatever, so I'm a bit confused. Not used to having options for sim cards.

In other news, holy gently caress this nokia 920 is a loving brick of a phone. I could probably kill someone with this thing and not smash the glass.

Yes, for GSM you can pretty much just swap your SIM card around from device to device. The only issues you may run into are microSIM vs nanoSIM (you can actually cut these yourself if you want or ask the carrier to get you another card) and tablet vs phone.

e:fb

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Cool.

Having some trouble with the phone though, which sucks. Seems to lose signal like crazy, and just randomly decides "No Service" and "OH poo poo WE HAULIN rear end NOW" on data when I am sitting on the couch. loving weird.

Been tweaking the settings a bit and talking with the support guys at tmobile. Hoping we can get this resolved because I don't really want to go through the hassle of returning this thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
From my experience, T-Mobile doesn't penetrate buildings very well. Going into the hospital left me with absolutely nothing. Sitting in my apartment, I would go between no signal and some signal. Cricket (ATT) is a bit better.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Has anyone tried the Verizon AllSet prepaid plan yet? Their coverage is hard to beat, and Best Buy has their Moto G for $69.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

A friend of mine picked up the Moto G and Verizon's AllSet plan. Anyone know how the extra 500MB of data and the Auto Pay thing works on it? I can't actually check as the site says next to zilch about autopay and you need an account to actually check.

Hughmoris posted:

Has anyone tried the Verizon AllSet prepaid plan yet? Their coverage is hard to beat, and Best Buy has their Moto G for $69.

A friend of mine is trying it right now, actually. The exact same friend who I mentioned in the OP as having a Straight Talk plan for Verizon. He hated it and the LG Optimus Showtime so he's finally left them. :v:

EDIT: Apparently, the 500MB of extra data doesn't show up until after your first month...and there are cases of some who never actually got it. One CS rep said that the deal ended in May but some on HoFo claim that they got it as late as yesterday soo..I don't know.

Going to be looking into this further.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 28, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Best Buy had the Verizon Moto G for $49 several weeks ago, I picked one up just to play with an Android device without service. Typically when phones get priced that way the price comes back fairly quickly. Keep in mind that the Verizon G does not have LTE so it actually has rather lovely data service, I believe typically around 1 Mbps in real world use.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Three Olives posted:

Best Buy had the Verizon Moto G for $49 several weeks ago, I picked one up just to play with an Android device without service. Typically when phones get priced that way the price comes back fairly quickly. Keep in mind that the Verizon G does not have LTE so it actually has rather lovely data service, I believe typically around 1 Mbps in real world use.

Ah, I was wondering if there was a kicker, and there it is.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Three Olives posted:

It's no different than Verizon on ST then. :v:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Hughmoris posted:

Ah, I was wondering if there was a kicker, and there it is.

The GSM Moto G uses a much faster data spec, even the non-LTE version so I can't see any reason not to recommend it for any other carrier, it's just EVDO was the only thing that Verizon had that was not LTE, it's a pretty fast phone for such a lovely data connection on Verizon.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Hey guys, I want a data only plan for my smartphone (S4 i9500). Is there such a thing?

Kinkajou
Jan 6, 2004

Something that can help ease the pain of the t-mobile dork plan is to use apps like MagicJack to make free calls over wifi or cell data. Sure, you look like a weirdo when you call your friend from some random number in Florida, but you're already a weirdo for having the dork plan so just own it.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Bisty Q. posted:

Is it correct that Cricket disables the tethering feature of the iPhone?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Cricket disables tethering on any device sold from their site/store. For example, the Cricket Moto G's tethering option is disabled. But if your device is unlocked, they can't (and won't) block the option.

Turns out, their Acceptable Use Policy DOES state that tethering is prohibited.

quote:

Prohibited Data Uses

Cricket's data services are not intended to be used in any manner which has any of the following effects and such use is prohibited if in Cricket's sole discretion it: (a) conflicts with applicable law; (b) hinders other customers' access to the wireless network; (c) compromises network security or capacity; (d) excessively and disproportionately contributes to network congestion; (e) adversely impacts network service levels or legitimate data flows; (f) degrades network performance; (g) causes harm to the network or other customers; (h) is resold either alone or as part of any other good or service; (i) tethers a wireless device to a computing device (such as a computer, Smartphone, eBook or eReader, media player, laptop, or other devices with similar functions) through use of connection kits, applications, devices or accessories (using wired or wireless technology) and you have not subscribed to a specific data plan designed for this purpose; (j) there is a specific data plan required for a particular use and you have not subscribed to that plan; or (k) such usage is excessive or unreasonable.

In addition to any other actions Cricket may take for violations of this AUP, if in our sole discretion we reasonably believe that you are using Cricket's data services in any manner that is prohibited, then we may without advance notice: (a) reduce your data throughput speeds; (b) restrict, interrupt or terminate any data session; (c) suspend, cancel or terminate your data services; (d) terminate your account; (e) move you to a more appropriate service plan with increased data or high speed data access allowances; and/or (f) decline to renew your wireless service.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/legal-info/acceptable-use-policy.html#prohibited

Now, the old Cricket actually had an addon for tethering and it's possible that AT&T will add it back. Keep in mind that Cricket is essentially Aio Wireless now and Aio also had this clause in their AUP but did not enforce it very much.

Basically, if you use tethering, do NOT think you can go and power your laptop for hours on end or something. Just use it in emergencies if your device REALLY needs the internet.

Someone at HoFo spoke to a rep in chat who claimed the old tethering addon may be coming back so who knows. At this point, I'd say if you want to tether on Cricket (and your phone allows it), make sure you have good reason to do so and don't do it for too long.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

Cricket disables tethering on any device sold from their site/store. For example, the Cricket Moto G's tethering option is disabled. But if your device is unlocked, they can't (and won't) block the option.
They can on an iPhone, hence my asking. The carrier bundle can enable it or disable it. Since they sell a fixed data bucket, I was curious if it was enabled on iPhones used on their network.

(Most AT&T MVNOs have it turned off, and I don't really need to tether, but it would be nice to have as a backup.)

Also, I'd take a referral, because either way I'll probably put a family member on the plan. Can someone email me one? (Just put John Doe, I don't think the name really matters - thrown away)

Bisty Q. fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jul 30, 2014

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Just recently switched from Verizon to Cricket with an unlocked iPhone 5S. Had tethering before, but after installing the cricket SIM, iTunes asked about a carrier update. Installed it (mistake?) and the Personal Hotspot feature disappeared. On the other hand, my MMS wasn't working prior to the update and works fine now.

Ended up jail breaking and installing TetherMe (7.1.2) and that seems to enable it properly. Only plan on using it for emergencies.

Also, sent ThermoPhysical a referral, $25. If anyone wants to pass on the favor, shoot me an email james.jimmy.stoof@gmail.com and I'll send you a referral. You also get $25 off your bill that month.

EDIT: BistyQ, just sent you one.

tonic fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jul 29, 2014

mtr
May 15, 2008
What's the best option for refilling T-mobile nerd plans? I have been using callingmart but they don't have a discount anymore and are now charging $51 for a $50 refill. Are there any better options out there?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Bisty Q. posted:

Also, I'd take a referral, because either way I'll probably put a family member on the plan. Can someone email me one? (Just put John Doe, I don't think the name really matters
Just so you know, you can not refer lines that are added to an account or group save plan. If you family member has their own account refer away.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Why is it called the t-mobile 'dork' plan?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mister Fister posted:

Why is it called the t-mobile 'dork' plan?

Because it is lots of phone data and only 100 minutes of calling. Because you are a dork who uses lots of data but has no friends to talk to.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Cojawfee posted:

Because it is lots of phone data and only 100 minutes of calling. Because you are a dork who uses lots of data but has no friends to talk to.

Seems like most people text anyway, people still talk on the phone? :v:

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Mister Fister posted:

Seems like most people text anyway, people still talk on the phone? :v:

It's actually become a semi-legit problem. I've had family/friends/coworkers send urgent texts several times, then get cranky, not understanding the "best effort" nature of SMS. If it's urgent, just call. Texting is not for emergencies. A former boss even texted a landline, then got mad at the lack of response (and no, there was no text-to-speech telco robot protocol on the boss's service).

e: the main thing I miss from Virgin Mobile is that I could leave awkward robot voicemails by texting landlines

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
What is this word "talk"?

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Are these phones still untraceable? E.g. can they be tracked via GPS? If I were to toss the phone into a creek or something, would it still be able to be tracked or is there a chip on it of some kind I should be gouging out if I don't want anyone to find it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chalets the Baka posted:

Are these phones still untraceable? E.g. can they be tracked via GPS? If I were to toss the phone into a creek or something, would it still be able to be tracked or is there a chip on it of some kind I should be gouging out if I don't want anyone to find it?

No phones are untraceable. If you chuck it into a creek, it will be hosed no matter what, though.