Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Another cool Big Boss one would be 'Abandon Outer Heaven'. He recogizes the flaws in his dream of Outer Heaven- that it's ultimate expression is a world without civilians, a world where peace isn't even impossible, it's nonsensical. He gives up the dream of a land for soldiers, and instead of calling himself Big Boss, he's just John Doe now. (Trading military might for culture/builderly might.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
A suggestion for the Saints Row Civ decision:

Doomsday: Offers the change to change the Respect bonuses to be more scientifically focused, losing it's old benefits. Or perhaps outright trading Respect for Science Bonuses. (SR4 Spoiler since you haven't played it yet 'Cause Zinyak blows the planet up and what's left of the Saints are in a spaceship--so you get bonuses to go make that spaceship)

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Okay. Apparently I really need to play the Saints Row games beyond the initial 360 demo I played. Steam got 'em?

E: - 2-4 it seems. Is missing #1 a concern? Seems like a bleh *gangsta* GTA.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Blasphemaster posted:

Okay. Apparently I really need to play the Saints Row games beyond the initial 360 demo I played. Steam got 'em?

E: - 2-4 it seems. Is missing #1 a concern? Seems like a bleh *gangsta* GTA.

1 is pretty much just a GTA San Andreas clone. What you're going to be missing is the original setup plot to the series, which isn't exactly VITAL for this kind of thing, but you'll run into some things that might need explaining.

For a brief summary: the protagonist lives in Saint's Row, and gets caught in a crossfire between Stillwater's three preeminent gangs. He gets pulled out of the fire by Julius, who is starting his own gang, the Third Street Saints, to try and bring sense back to the city--and get drugs out of it. Julius HATES drugs. He's aided by his lieutenants; Johnny Gat, Lin, Dex, and Troy Baker.

The game proceeds in regular fashion with all three gangs getting shot to poo poo. It culminates with the corrupt chief of police having you take out a mayoral candidate, you taking out the chief, and then meeting up with Alderman Hughes, the other candidate, on a boat. In the closing cutscene, Troy is revealed to be an undercover cop (which was the least surprising reveal in history), Johnny Gat proposes to pop star Aisha (whose death you faked earlier), and Julius does a sudden turn and blows up Hughes' boat--with you on it.

Apart from that, the later Saints games only make passing references to the first one, mostly in the form of reappearing characters. Two of your main allies in the Sons of Samedi campaign in 2, for instance, ran the drug dealing side missions in Saints 1.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Also note that the Saints Row games progress quadratically towards 'maximum mess and insanity' so by the time SR4 rolls around everything has gone completely batshit. Not everyone was totally on board with that progression though so a lot of SR fans feel that 2 or 3 is better than 4.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Neruz posted:

Also note that the Saints Row games progress quadratically towards 'maximum mess and insanity' so by the time SR4 rolls around everything has gone completely batshit. Not everyone was totally on board with that progression though so a lot of SR fans feel that 2 or 3 is better than 4.

Exponential progression. Any game where you start as president of the US of A and first thing you get is a Bioware-style dialogue option where you have to decide whether to punch an annoying reporter in the face (paragon option) or in the junk (renegade) is under no mere quadratical progression.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Omobono posted:

Exponential progression. Any game where you start as president of the US of A and first thing you get is a Bioware-style dialogue option where you have to decide whether to punch an annoying reporter in the face (paragon option) or in the junk (renegade) is under no mere quadratical progression.

SR4 sort of crossed the event horizon and became a singularity of insanity, so yeah it kind of went exponential at the end of the series.

It's a pity the story ends up where it does, I would have been so on board for a galactic\interstellar scale SR game where you drift spaceships around planets while wearing space marine power armor.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Redeye Flight posted:

For a brief summary: the protagonist

The Playa, I think you mean. Since that's what he's referred to in 1. The other three games, s/he's referred to as The Boss.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Also, SR2 is a HORRIBLE port. Plays awfully on PC, so, I dunno, play it on 360 or watch a lets play.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Redeye Flight posted:

For a brief summary: the protagonist lives in Saint's Row, and gets caught in a crossfire between Stillwater's three preeminent gangs. He gets pulled out of the fire by Julius, who is starting his own gang, the Third Street Saints, to try and bring sense back to the city--and get drugs out of it. Julius HATES drugs. He's aided by his lieutenants; Johnny Gat, Lin, Dex, and Troy Baker.

Troy Bradshaw, you mean. Troy Baker is Kanji Tatsumi, and a voice for The Boss in Saints Row 3 and 4. :v:

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Bogart posted:

Troy Bradshaw, you mean. Troy Baker is Kanji Tatsumi, and a voice for The Boss in Saints Row 3 and 4. :v:

HURF, yeah.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

Bogart posted:

Sorry, Nolan North was the clear victor for 4. Troy Baker is a cool dude and a good actor, but Nolan was just completely in tune with Saint's Row style "Dumb."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Blug. I will definitely be getting to the last story section this week. I feel like I'm ready, I just came back from San Diego Comicon. What a rush. I handed out so many goddamned business cards.

Though I'm actually feeling pretty depressed at the moment possibly because of post-con depression or something. Also need to draw new comic tonight. BUT. More Metal Gear Peace Walker...soon.

This one's for everyone who ever said they loved something I wrote. Couldn't have done it without ya.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Speedball posted:

Blug. I will definitely be getting to the last story section this week. I feel like I'm ready, I just came back from San Diego Comicon. What a rush. I handed out so many goddamned business cards.

Though I'm actually feeling pretty depressed at the moment possibly because of post-con depression or something. Also need to draw new comic tonight. BUT. More Metal Gear Peace Walker...soon.

This one's for everyone who ever said they loved something I wrote. Couldn't have done it without ya.

I have not been to many conventions where I have been actively engaged before. My first one was The International 4 up in Seattle two weeks ago, and before you say anything, it was practically Dotacon, complete with artists, celebrities, panels, merch, swag, and expensive food.

Is this post-con let-down a common thing? Because I could not bring myself to do anything the day after other than sleep in until check-out, sleep on the shuttle bus to the airport, sleep on the flight back, drive home, not bother dragging my luggage in, and sleep some more.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

SwissArmyDruid posted:

not bother dragging my luggage in, and sleep some more.

You left your luggage out in the street?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Siegkrow posted:

Don't worry about it.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

Sorry, Nolan North was the clear victor for 4. Troy Baker is a cool dude and a good actor, but Nolan was just completely in tune with Saint's Row style "Dumb."

It helps a lot that the Nolan North voice in SR4 is Nolan North playing Nolan North. As in himself, he's not voice acting as the boss, he's voice acting as Nolan North; the first real sign of this is right at the start just before you jump on the turret if you're using the Nolan North voice he's like "Holy poo poo I'm just an actor!"

It's probably one of his best VA performances in vidjeo games ever.

e; Laura Bailey does a pretty good job with Female Voice 1 too if for some inexplicable reason you don't want to listen to Nolan North be Nolan North in the middle of Saints Row 4.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 28, 2014

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Siegkrow posted:

Also, SR2 is a HORRIBLE port. Plays awfully on PC, so, I dunno, play it on 360 or watch a lets play.

Weirdly, it plays absolutely fine on win 8 with no faffing about

also plays fine using Gentleman of the Row mod, made by then modder and forum poster idolninja, and now deep silver employee.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Siegkrow posted:

Drove to and from the airport. Got bumped from my flight because they oversold, and I had to catch a different flight over at SFO. The day I flew back home, I stopped for an iced coffee from Lee's, drove straight home from there, parked the car, flopped on the couch, was lights out for six hours, then moved to bed for another four.

Sir Shion posted:

Weirdly, it plays absolutely fine on win 8 with no faffing about

also plays fine using Gentleman of the Row mod, made by then modder and forum poster idolninja, and now deep silver employee.

The problem was that the game's framerate was linked to processor speed. There are fixes and workarounds, but it wasn't playable out of the box the last time I tried it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The problem was that the game's framerate was linked to processor speed. There are fixes and workarounds, but it wasn't playable out of the box the last time I tried it.

This is correct, however I've heard others say much the same about it and windows 7 / 8.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Omobono posted:

...I need to play this game with my wife.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The post-con downtime is very common. You've just finished a packed few days of absolutely frenetic activity, during which you probably didn't get enough sleep; moreover, you're most likely suffering from jet lag. And to top it off, odds are you've picked up some minor or major virus. It may not manifest as overt symptoms, but it'll still add extra fatigue.

So don't plan on getting a whole lot done in the few days after a con.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Neruz posted:

e; Laura Bailey does a pretty good job with Female Voice 1 too if for some inexplicable reason you don't want to listen to Nolan North be Nolan North in the middle of Saints Row 4.

I always liked the accented female voices in SR3 and 4 as they were a clear step up from the ones in SR2 which just felt rather dull.

Speedball posted:

What a rush. I handed out so many goddamned business cards.

If you didn't hand one to Kojima I'd be seriously disappointed because he was apparently there so. :colbert:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

If you didn't hand one to Kojima I'd be seriously disappointed because he was apparently there so. :colbert:

He was?

FUUUUUUUUU--

Hahahahah.

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014
I've only been to a few cons (and that will be a few + 1 after MechaCon this weekend), but I still know all about the post-con fatigue. (Doesn't help that I wear a cosplay with a stuffy helmet)

Don't rush things if you've still got it. Besides, the longer you wait, the more time we have to discuss anything and everything that's even tangentially related to the LP here!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Vicevirtuoso posted:

I've only been to a few cons (and that will be a few + 1 after MechaCon this weekend), but I still know all about the post-con fatigue. (Doesn't help that I wear a cosplay with a stuffy helmet)

Don't rush things if you've still got it. Besides, the longer you wait, the more time we have to discuss anything and everything that's even tangentially related to the LP here!

Please tell me you cosplay as Professor Genki.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Speedball posted:

He was?

FUUUUUUUUU--

Hahahahah.

According to what I saw on twitter on Thursday or Friday he was even hanging out with Benicio Del Toro.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Has anyone sent this thread to Kojima yet? Cause seriously, I'll make a twitter just to link it to him if no one else has.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Neopie posted:

Has anyone sent this thread to Kojima yet? Cause seriously, I'll make a twitter just to link it to him if no one else has.

Depends, are the forums currently allowing people who don't have an SA account looksies access?

Hell I could tweet it myself but would he actually read the tweet? I think he gets like a million tweets a day.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 28, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Speedball posted:

Depends, are the forums currently allowing people who don't have an SA account looksies access?

They've been permanently behind the paywall since about the time I joined, I think.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

my dad posted:

They've been permanently behind the paywall since about the time I joined, I think.

It is open right now, a friend of mine read the Combat Mission threads this morning, so it should still be open now.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Eh, what the hell. I'll send his English account a tweet.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
It would probably help if more than one person sent a tweet. If he sees a bunch of tweets about the same thing, it's more likely to make him go, "Hmm, I wonder what this is..."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

It would probably help if more than one person sent a tweet. If he sees a bunch of tweets about the same thing, it's more likely to make him go, "Hmm, I wonder what this is..."

Okay. Call to tweeting goons! Tell Kojima about this mod and this LP!

If you feel like it, anyway.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Speedball posted:

Okay. Call to tweeting goons! Tell Kojima about this mod and this LP!

If you feel like it, anyway.

Enjoy your Cease and Desist, Vicevirtuoso! :v:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

my dad posted:

Enjoy your Cease and Desist, Vicevirtuoso! :v:

.....Quick, Vice! Go make sure your disclaimers are up front and up to date!

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014
I honestly would prefer if you guys didn't alert Kojima or Konami to the presence of the mod. The possibility of a C&D is very real.

LoonShia posted:

Please tell me you cosplay as Professor Genki.

Nope. I'm gonna wear this again.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Vicevirtuoso posted:

Nope. I'm gonna wear this again.

Gangsta Kyuby? That... is both highly disconcerting and yet awesome at the same time.

Also, making sure your disclaimers are up to date and such is probably a good idea anyway.

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014

Stephen9001 posted:

Also, making sure your disclaimers are up to date and such is probably a good idea anyway.

"x is the property of company y" disclaimers aren't exactly effective, so I don't bother with them. They can still C&D or even sue if they're feeling particularly mean. In fact, there's a good chance that they may make things worse, because it could then be more easily argued by the company's lawyers that you were practicing willful copyright infringement, which is considered much more serious than an "accidental" or "unknowing" copyright violation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
As far as I'm aware, though, Kojima doesn't seem like the type to do that? At any rate, I haven't heard about any metal gear stuff getting C and D letters. Plus, he seems like one of the cooler developers in regards to that kind of stuff. Nevertheless, I'll respect your wishes in regards to that.

Oddly enough, after a quick google, http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/02/fan-made-metal-gear-remake-gets-okay-from-konami-4746789/ This got the okay, but also the day after they posted that they had the okay, canceled development with no given reason. So... I unno, probably for the best to not do the tweety thing?

Nea fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 28, 2014

• Locked thread