Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CharlesM posted:

I don't know if this is a universal thing but around here lampposts are designed to break away like that, because of physics and all that.
In my state there is a huge mixture of power/light poles, ranging from the old wood ones, to concrete "insta-death" ones and the hallow aluminium ones that sit on a flange near the bottom and held on with four large bolts and nuts. There is an old farm road near my place which is now a main access road for large housing developments these days which has a number of wood and concrete power poles within a metre of that road scares the poo poo out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

You Am I posted:

In my state there is a huge mixture of power/light poles, ranging from the old wood ones, to concrete "insta-death" ones and the hallow aluminium ones that sit on a flange near the bottom and held on with four large bolts and nuts. There is an old farm road near my place which is now a main access road for large housing developments these days which has a number of wood and concrete power poles within a metre of that road scares the poo poo out of me.

If I recall the main road heading from T'town to Preston, before the railway crossover clusterfuck has wood poles hard up against the side of the road.

On topic, most of the people I share the road with drive maybe 20km/h, have no concept of how right of way or turn signals work. Why yes, many of them are ancient and driving cars I'm pretty sure they have owned since the '70s, and kept in excellent condition might I say. But I also see tractors, mobility scooters and the occasional golf buggy on the streets around home too. Once I got to see an elderly farmer driving a really neat looking electric quad on the pavement too.

Nothing really offensive locally. Just thought it'd make a change from the ranting.

Although, there is one thing that does piss me off. An entire group of people walking side by side toward / away from school. The group consists of parents and children, spanning all the way from the side of the road and across the lane. I think it's great that you can find the time to walk to school but please don't make me idle along for half a block behind you before you decide to move. You know drat well I can't go around you because there's trees in the middle of the road.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
There's a section of road by my house where the speed limit increases by 5 miles an hour (from 40 to 45.) The traffic signal this happens after is also where most traffic leaves this road, so a lot of spots open up. And it is just the most frustrating thing when people blow by the sign that says "45 MPH" while going 35 miles an hour with no cars in front of them without moving a muscle.

Sometimes this frustrates me and I speed around these people. I know, I am the people you share the road with. But I would much rather go 10 over the speed limit than 10 under - don't people want to get to their destination in a timely manner?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To be fair, the difference in arrival times is probably like.. 30 seconds.

The average speed in a city is about 30mph no matter how heavy your foot is, speeding at 10 or more over the limit really just means more brake wear when you have to slam them for a red light.

Not that I'm a fan of people sandbagging either, go at least the speed limit or get off the road. :colbert:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My average speed according to my OBC is 23 mph.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

xzzy posted:

To be fair, the difference in arrival times is probably like.. 30 seconds.

The average speed in a city is about 30mph no matter how heavy your foot is, speeding at 10 or more over the limit really just means more brake wear when you have to slam them for a red light.

Not that I'm a fan of people sandbagging either, go at least the speed limit or get off the road. :colbert:

Thing is that lights are timed for the speed limit, so that 30 seconds can make the difference between cruising steadily down a major artery and getting caught at every other light.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

revmoo posted:

CALL 911!

Krakkles posted:

So ... Call 911.

In my experience this typically results in the 911 operator doing absolutely nothing unless the driver is leaving a path of destruction in their wake. No accident = no concern.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Geoj posted:

In my experience this typically results in the 911 operator doing absolutely nothing unless the driver is leaving a path of destruction in their wake. No accident = no concern.

Say you're worried they're a drunk driver, there will be two cars behind that guy within a matter of minutes.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

thelightguy posted:

Say you're worried they're a drunk driver, there will be two cars behind that guy within a matter of minutes.

Yeah, they don't screw around when impaired drivers are actively being a safety hazard there's potential revenue and quota-filling to be had.

im not jaded

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It's the cops job to do whatever the gently caress they feel like doing. It's your job as a responsible motorist to call them. Let them make the decision to sit on their asses.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

NJ at least has the #77 for aggressive driving. 911 is for after that aggression turns into actual damage.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Fucknag posted:

Thing is that lights are timed for the speed limit, so that 30 seconds can make the difference between cruising steadily down a major artery and getting caught at every other light.

If those lights are timed, you mean. Cause it's not really the norm in most places.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

General_Failure posted:

Although, there is one thing that does piss me off. An entire group of people walking side by side toward / away from school. The group consists of parents and children, spanning all the way from the side of the road and across the lane. I think it's great that you can find the time to walk to school but please don't make me idle along for half a block behind you before you decide to move. You know drat well I can't go around you because there's trees in the middle of the road.

Well poo poo, parents suck when they drive the kids to school, and apparently they suck when they walk them to school. You must not be in California, I have never observed a parent walking a child to school here, not when there's a perfectly fine Escalade in the driveway!

Why can't kids just ride the school bus, jesus christ. Didn't hurt me any.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Pham Nuwen posted:

Well poo poo, parents suck when they drive the kids to school, and apparently they suck when they walk them to school.

gently caress you if you're part of a group walking abreast and blocking an entire street, especially when there's a perfectly good sidewalk. I'd put people like this in the same category as those who cross feeder lanes in a parking lot at the most oblique angle possible while cars are trying to move through.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

BraveUlysses posted:

If those lights are timed, you mean. Cause it's not really the norm in most places.

5-10 over on the road I spoke of is the sweet spot for hitting all the lights. Cops don't usually give a gently caress, I pace myself with a cruiser every time I see one and it's rare they're going the speed limit.

I've been pulled over for speeding once on that road, and it's because a cop felt like flying up on my rear end at 70+ mph and saying I was speeding (I was going 5 over.) They clocked me anyway and I didn't bother fighting it because I was technically speeding and I have no proof they were going extremely fast (not that it would affect the verdict of my ticket.)

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 28, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sudo Echo posted:

It still astounds me how ridiculously sturdy trees can be in the face of a moving car.

Roots.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Why can't kids just ride the school bus, jesus christ. Didn't hurt me any.

Because the bus only takes kids to schools in their home district, not the out-of-district one mommy wormed her way into because it has fewer "urban" students.

BraveUlysses posted:

There's one fun road here, right along the ocean, that's perfectly straight a couple of miles long with stoplights all along its length for pedestrians to cross to get to the beach, but no intersections with other roads. The lights are timed for 35mph bang-on. So many angry people who want to go 50, gas gas brake, gas gas brake, gas gas brake. Back off and drive 35 and it's just a smooooooth move.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 28, 2014

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Geoj posted:

gently caress you if you're part of a group walking abreast and blocking an entire street, especially when there's a perfectly good sidewalk. I'd put people like this in the same category as those who cross feeder lanes in a parking lot at the most oblique angle possible while cars are trying to move through.

That's exactly it. Just widely spaced abreast. Nobody in front or behind. There is a perfectly good pavement on the other side of the street. It doesn't bother me that they choose not to use that. The streets are pretty wide and usually even a group of people wandering along causes no issue. There is no need to be a walking roadblock.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Sagebrush posted:

So many angry people who want to go 50, gas gas brake, gas gas brake, gas gas brake. Back off and drive 35 and it's just a smooooooth move.

There has to be some kind of psychological explanation for this. It's easy to see that you're not getting anywhere quicker, but people choose to ignore that because it feels faster somehow.

Whenever I'm in heavy stop-and-go traffic, I try go the average speed so that I don't have to stop every 3 seconds, but you would not believe how mad that makes some people. I get people who tailgate me and then pass and cut me off just so they can slam on the brakes 100 feet ahead of me.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Hikaki posted:

There has to be some kind of psychological explanation for this. It's easy to see that you're not getting anywhere quicker, but people choose to ignore that because it feels faster somehow.

Whenever I'm in heavy stop-and-go traffic, I try go the average speed so that I don't have to stop every 3 seconds, but you would not believe how mad that makes some people. I get people who tailgate me and then pass and cut me off just so they can slam on the brakes 100 feet ahead of me.

Being stuck in traffic makes people angry, angry people don't act rationally.

Honestly I'd like to be able to drive like that in traffic, but then you get where you're going even slower because everyone cuts in front of you.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Sudo Echo posted:

It still astounds me how ridiculously sturdy trees can be in the face of a moving car.

Don't gently caress with trees.

So sturdy, in fact, we've started building all kinds of things out of them, even houses.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

N is for Nipples posted:

So sturdy, in fact, we've started building all kinds of things out of them, even houses.

we've been building houses out of them for milenia.

What's astounding is that we're now building 10 story apartment buildings out of them.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
x-postin' like a chump champ

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

You haven't seen anything until you've seen what a load of oversize piles can do to a city bus, while turning.

(No pics unfortunately... this was before the internet)

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 29, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

It looks like the truck's eyes are popping out in shock.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Wow I sure hope that thing was right hand drive :ohdear:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Astonishing Wang posted:

Wow I sure hope that thing was right hand drive :ohdear:

I like how nobody bothers to stop to check on the driver.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Locator posted:

I like how nobody bothers to stop to check on the driver.

It's China. Checking on the driver implies guilt.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Safety Dance posted:

It's China. Checking on the driver implies guilt.

I see this sort of thing in dash videos from other places too, people just suck in general I think.

Watched a Russian video the other day where a woman was hit by a van and went airborne and landed in front of the car with the camera. Guy talks in Russian briefly then drives into the opposing lanes and accelerates off.

poo poo like that just amazes me and I see it quite often in dash videos.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Locator posted:

I see this sort of thing in dash videos from other places too, people just suck in general I think.

Watched a Russian video the other day where a woman was hit by a van and went airborne and landed in front of the car with the camera. Guy talks in Russian briefly then drives into the opposing lanes and accelerates off.

poo poo like that just amazes me and I see it quite often in dash videos.

I think the issue in Russia is that there are a number of people who walk into traffic on purpose to sue drivers, so I think most drivers there these days just keep on driving rather than deal with the hassle.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
gently caress you guy who sees my blinker and SPEEDS UP to block me. Is your precious 2 seconds earlier arrival time that loving important to put others around you in danger? :argh:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

gently caress you guy who sees my blinker and SPEEDS UP to block me. Is your precious 2 seconds earlier arrival time that loving important to put others around you in danger? :argh:

This happens daily to me. When I'm driving an ambulance.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

In order to avoid getting too mad at that, I imagine it's because they're following the car ahead to get somewhere (or they're a private dick tailing a suspect in the car ahead) and don't want to lose 'em.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Geirskogul posted:

This happens daily to me. When I'm driving an ambulance.

What happens if you hit someone in your ambulance? Like if you're on the way to a call and someone does something dumb and you clip them are you obliged to stop or do you go to your initial call?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Depends on severity of call. If I'm working in 911 and I'm on a 911 call, 99% of the time I continue the call and just radio dispatch to let them know I just witnessed an accident/was part of an accident (if my ambulance is still in good condition, of course). If it's a minor nick, like I hit a car with my side mirror or something, if I'm a good person I'll radio it in and deal with the fallout after the emergency. If, though, the integrity of the ambulance and its ability to provide care is in question due to the accident, I stop and check it out.

If I'm on my way to a bullshit interfacility/behavioral call (one person with SI going from a hospital to another hospital or care facility) with no immediate emergency, I'll stop my call and deal with it right then. This also applies to accidents I witness: if I don't have a patient in the back and I'm not on a 911 emergency call, and I witness an accident, I can stop and assist on the spot. I've even stopped and radioed dispatch to request that I drop a call I was heading towards so I could assist the fire department with what looked like a major scenario. As long as I'm tactful and I'm not getting in the way, they usually really appreciate the help. A patient in the back always trumps anything I see, though. No matter how non-emergent or bullshit the problem is with the patient I have in the back of the ambulance (clear drug seekers/frequent flyers, for example), once they're in the ambulance I don't stop until I get to my destination, even if I witness a mass shooting or something. Best we can do is radio it in.

LudwigVon Lugnuts
May 15, 2005

When the hell did I put Greenman on?!!
RE: Circle chat & 4-way stop chat, I drive through small neighborhood each morning to go to work. There is a place that used to have a 4 way stop, but they have since changed it to a circle.

The problem is that people still treat it as a 4 way stop. They are the ones on the left, the ones in the circle, the ones that others should yield to, yet there they are, stopping dead so someone on the right of them can go first. Sometimes they stop for no one! No one is coming, no one is near, they just stop dead at the edge of the circle. Sometimes they stop in the middle of the circle. It's not even a big circle!* The circle is so small that a single car can stretch from their entrance to the next entrance to the right. You can see everything that's happening at all times. I've almost hit multiple people here that do poo poo like this.

The worst is when you're entering the circle, someone that obviously lives in the neighborhood and is butthurt that its not a 4-way stop anymore and it's not their loving turn yet, pulls out in front of you because you're following a car through. Dickhead, you don't get to pull out in front of me because you think it's your turn. There are no turns anymore, you loving mental midget, you yield to the person to your left (me).

*I just measured the circle on Google maps. It's 60 feet. 20 meters. Goddammit.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's a pretty small circle around here that happens to be ~20m diameter as well:

I really like ones like these because you can pretty much blast through at full speed if there's no one coming from the left when going straight.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

BraveUlysses posted:

In major cities it is, and most people in the U.S. live in major cities. Chicago in particular has light timings that piss me off. Going the speed limit gets you caught on a red at every single light on a medium-sized artery in the downtown area. If you go 10 MPH over, though, you risk getting an Automated Speed Enforcement camera ticket (thanks to corrupt contracts and American Traffic Solutions).

Protocol7 posted:

I've been pulled over for speeding once on that road, and it's because a cop felt like flying up on my rear end at 70+ mph and saying I was speeding (I was going 5 over.) They clocked me anyway and I didn't bother fighting it because I was technically speeding and I have no proof they were going extremely fast (not that it would affect the verdict of my ticket.)

You got a speeding ticket from a cop for being clocked going 5 MPH over the speed limit? :wtf:

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 30, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
In 2009, I got a ticket for going 72 in a 70 on the highway by Pasco/Walla Walla. I fought it, and I lost, because I had no proof that I explicitly wasn't speeding, because 72 is still 2 over the limit. $86. Sometimes cops just hate out-of-state license plates, I guess. I was nice and courteous as poo poo and he just went "tough luck, don't speed next time."

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Michael Scott posted:

You got a speeding ticket from a cop for being clocked going 5 MPH over the speed limit? :wtf:

I'm sure driving a red Honda Prelude in a suburb had something to do with it. Bunch of people round here like to speed. I just happened to be the only one on the road at the time, and I know with how fast I was going and how fast the cop came flying up to my rear end that he was going at least 15 miles an hour faster than me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
These are people I share the road with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWzkpCr0F0M

I have watched pretty much all of this dudes videos, and I have personally experienced the type of driving Portland has to offer. I really need to get my own dashcam. I'm getting sick of telling stories. I'm the first to admit that I am not a perfect driver by any means, but some of the poo poo I see is completely mental.