Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

aerion111 posted:

But unless I'm being hopelessly naive in trusting Granade, it seems he is simply going for 'realism' (as usual)
Nobody can be as unaware as that guy is pretending to be without being a literal child. There's already BDSM gear in the game, he knows what he's doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Even from just a "realism" standpoint, it's a bit dumb that this isn't some sort of more-involved Dr. Frankenstein brain operation. Wouldn't your zombie suitcase still try to headbutt and kick or tackle you any time you actually got near it?
"Welp, I can't bite or grab anymore, guess my all-consuming hatred of the living is gone now" :zombie:

Coding NPCs is hard, let's just have this stupid poo poo. :effort:

On an unrelated note, it's sad that's there's Civil War revolvers in this game (two of them!) but no Civil War reenactor starting class. (I cheated together something similar and it was a pretty fun starting class)

Cardiovorax posted:

Nobody can be as unaware as that guy is pretending to be without being a literal child. There's already BDSM gear in the game, he knows what he's doing.
Not to mention the naked woman and gimp starting classes. (yeah I know that class can be either gender, but come on)

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
For all the furry, gimp suit and shower guy stuff (which has no reason to be in the game other than someones sexual fantasy) this is being handled a little bit better than that. Granade is flat out saying that in order to do this you have to be a psychopath. I still think its weird and wrong and I'm sure that some people get off from having this in the game. I just don't understand why they went with such an extreme idea, why not make a little backpack for your dog to follow you around? Or hell, its the post apocalyptic future with robots why can't we make these guys? Nah, lets mutilate a zombie and call it our slave.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Naked start and gimp suit I don't mind because, well, naked is good for gameplay as it makes sense to have a zero-item start, and dressing up in stupid outfits is fun in the post-apocalypse.

But yeah Kev's being a deliberate idiot on that I think. Then again he's a deranged libertarian in his spare time so he's not exactly unused to selective ignorance.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm down with mutilating zombies, that's what the game is for. Caring about deep psychological characterization in a roguelike is a retarded waste of effort. He could just have picked a better name, because in the modern Western world slave is pretty much synonymous with sex slave and that's icky.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Drevoak posted:

Granade is flat out saying that in order to do this you have to be a psychopath.
Nope.

quote:

I really didn't like the "psychopath only" limitation, it just further reinforces psychopath as a super good trait to have.

Edit: Yeah, military-style cargo bots would be a great reason to raid military outposts and a cool challenging thing to craft in addition to vehicles. The RC car stuff in the game is a good start to this sort of thing. Wonder how difficult coding a shopping cart that behaves like the RC cars would be.

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 28, 2014

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

Welp I read that wrong. Definitely not looking foward to the posts on the forums about people modding the game to have female zombie slaves.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Drevoak posted:

Welp I read that wrong. Definitely not looking foward to the posts on the forums about people modding the game to have female zombie slaves.
Since you have to kill the zombie first, you can already know (or at least assume) their gender by their clothing. Yay! :newfap:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Well, I weighed in. I don't think it's a terrible idea, I do think it should have some major morale drawbacks for non-psychopaths, but I think it's super weird that we'd get this before we get regular pack animals and robo pack animals.

Later on, I imagine this will be expanded so if you do it to the larger zombies, like Hulks, you'll be able to use them as mounts. I don't know if such a thing would be responded to well here or if it be super creepy or if it would be a bit of both to be honest.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GlyphGryph posted:

Well, I weighed in. I don't think it's a terrible idea, I do think it should have some major morale drawbacks for non-psychopaths, but I think it's super weird that we'd get this before we get regular pack animals and robo pack animals.

Later on, I imagine this will be expanded so if you do it to the larger zombies, like Hulks, you'll be able to use them as mounts. I don't know if such a thing would be responded to well here or if it be super creepy or if it would be a bit of both to be honest.

I think that would be cool, but not if it's called like, "Pony Slave" or something weird. It's just the implementation as it is, is a bit... kinky? In a bad way.

someone used a good word earlier, fetishistic.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
I really don't see what the problem is with this. It's just something iconic they're stealing from The Walking Dead.

Just keep the creepy fucks who want to customize their zombies away from it and I'm good with the idea.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Sticking a riding harness on a giant zombie and riding it around smashing things up is cool.

Doing it with a buttplug up your arse is a bit odd.

It's mostly a tone thing.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Sticking a riding harness on a giant zombie and riding it around smashing things up is cool.
So how's this going to work exactly? Crafting an equivalent to the minecraft carrot-on-a-stick? (human flesh + fishing rod? :barf:)

It would actually be much better if this sort of thing involved mad science brain surgery to avoid the "Black Knight problem" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eMkth8FWno&t=203s).

Circutron posted:

It's just something iconic they're stealing from The Walking Dead.
So how does this actually work in the source material? The zombies are too dumb to passively resist (cat-in-a-walking-harness style) or still try to ineffectually attack?

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

AceRimmer posted:

So how does this actually work in the source material? The zombies are too dumb to passively resist (cat-in-a-walking-harness style) or still try to ineffectually attack?

Defanging monsters/zombies goes back a long way. TWD wasn't exactly the first instance of it by any means.
It's never explicitly explained why but the two zombies stop attacking after a while. Presumably without jaws/arms and some latent emotional attachment they just gave up. At least that's what I remember from reading it several years ago.

I'm still chiming in that dearming/riding a hulk is fine. But somewhere a line needs to be drawn once you start dressing it up and and strapping saddles/tinkle bells to them. The community has already demonstrated some bizarre fetishism so it's not undeserved criticism.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

TOOT BOOT wrote on Jul 28, 2014 13:40:
I'm still on probation for another week, but I think a key fact that you guys are missing out in the Cataclysm discussion is that it's a reference to Michonne in The Walking Dead and not so much someone's creepy fetish thing.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
The actual real zlave submit was done by some other dude, so why is everyone proclaiming this is Grenada's thing now? He didn't even seem to be a fan of it in the original issue that was raised for the submit, so I don't know why he seems to be actively involved with it now. Plus, going through the issues, I don't see it (the original issue for zlaves) in the open or closed issue section, which means that it had to be actively deleted, which I find really suspicious.

The original submitter didn't speak English very well, and he was a bit of an rear end to everyone too boot, but that doesn't mean it's ok to steal his submit from him. Yes I know that this is open source and by submitting it you give up all claims of ownership to it, but that doesn't make it right.

The King of Swag fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 28, 2014

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I really don't think the zlave thing is some disgusting sexual thing that some nerd is furiously masturbating to. They're just ripping off what they saw in The Walking Dead TV show. Its a lovely idea that shouldn't be in the game sure, but I think a lot of you are reading way too far into it.

E: woops, missed the page of posts saying the same thing I said.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 28, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The King of Swag posted:

The actual real zlave submit was done by some other dude, so why is everyone proclaiming this is Grenada's thing now? He didn't even seem to be a fan of it in the original issue that was raised for the submit, so I don't know why he seems to be actively involved with it now. Plus, going through the issues, I don't see it (the original issue for zlaves) in the open or closed issue section, which means that it had to be actively deleted, which I find really suspicious.

The original submitter didn't speak English very well, and he was a bit of an rear end to everyone too boot, but that doesn't mean it's ok to steal his submit from him. Yes I know that this is open source and by submitting it you give up all claims of ownership to it, but that doesn't make it right.

hahaha I can't wait to watch that train wreck unfold.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I really don't think the zlave thing is some disgusting sexual thing that some nerd is furiously masturbating to.

I would like to personally inform you that you are incorrect.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
Ok, apparently I'm an idiot and just didn't understand how Github's updated (as of last night?) issues section works; I found it: Zombie Slave [Zlave]; it wasn't deleted, just in a different section now.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I really don't think the zlave thing is some disgusting sexual thing that some nerd is furiously masturbating to.

Cataclysm forums posted:

Sweet! Not only that but we can have an easier zombie pen to keep zombies for RP purposes!
:wiggle:

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 29, 2014

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
All I can think about when imagining people who roleplay Cataclysm, whilst wearing tail buttplugs and gimp suits with their zombie slave is G.I. Jaws avatar.

More cake, Mrs. Zombington?

I'm still fine with mutilating a hulk if you have the cannibal or psychopath traits, but who knows where it'll lead with DDA.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
Personally I don't find it that disturbing, because while I'm sure some people will make it sexual, some people will make anything sexual. I'm sure most people thrilled with this are thinking more along the lines of The Walking Dead, which makes them a bit geeky, but I don't know about perverted.

That said, I agree with others that having a doggy backpack or robotic packmule, or hell, a real mule would have been a much better option than zombie slaves. We wouldn't even need to worry about coming up with a better name than zlave, which is just loving horrible from both a creative and connotative angle.

Taking us full circle back around to the conversation from the other day, none of this zlave or packmule stuff would even be necessary if we could just load smaller vehicles onto/into larger ones. What possible good is a zlave if you can just push around a shopping cart, and take it with you in your regular car when it's time to go?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

The King of Swag posted:

That said, I agree with others that having a doggy backpack or robotic packmule, or hell, a real mule would have been a much better option than zombie slaves. We wouldn't even need to worry about coming up with a better name than zlave, which is just loving horrible from both a creative and connotative angle.
In a similar vein, it would be nice to have some cooler/non-creepy :spergin: options like training/upgrading a random horse into an armored warhorse, and then exploding boomers with your lance in plate armor as Sir KillsYeZombiesALot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AceRimmer posted:

In a similar vein, it would be nice to have some cooler :spergin: options like training/upgrading a random horse into an armored warhorse, and then exploding boomers with your lance in plate armor as Sir KillsYeZombiesALot.

This except replace lance with flintlock carbine. Gonna dragoon the hell out of those zombies.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

The King of Swag posted:

Taking us full circle back around to the conversation from the other day, none of this zlave or packmule stuff would even be necessary if we could just load smaller vehicles onto/into larger ones. What possible good is a zlave if you can just push around a shopping cart, and take it with you in your regular car when it's time to go?

We don't fix problems in DDA, we just throw more poo poo at the wall and see what sticks.

There's already a K9 Vest in the game and dog friends, it would be a more natural addition. But hey, Zlaves, amirite? :smuggo:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Honestly, if getting zombies to work for you involved training them somehow rather than mutilation I don't think people would have much of an issue with them. Feed them animal meat (or maybe human meat from corpses you find) to keep them placid, that sort of thing.

Plus maybe they should be able to play video games, Shaun of the Dead style.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

This except replace lance with flintlock carbine. Gonna dragoon the hell out of those zombies.
Or a Spencer repeater. This way I can finally play time-travelling George Custer vs. the zombies.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Excise the zlave poo poo, add cool robots.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Thinking about it, if the exact same logic was applied to robots, you could have the option of "reprogramming" disabled bots and then repair reviving them. How cool would that be?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Very, and it'd save time on trying to program decent NPC followers too, as it is neither surprising nor too problematic if your robot is a bit thick.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

GlyphGryph posted:

Thinking about it, if the exact same logic was applied to robots, you could have the option of "reprogramming" disabled bots and then repair reviving them. How cool would that be?

Just rip Xenocide off wholesale. Grab a robot chassis, slot in a motive system, tool, and appropriately reprogrammed CPU, and flick the switch. That'd be awesome.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
I'd really like to see more robotic enemies in general. It's the nearish future, unmanned vehicles of all kinds are on the rise.

Having chicken walkers and robo-tanks at army bases should be common. It could also play into inter-monster hostility, watching a robotic soldier/tank fight zombies would make for exciting gameplay and make sense.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
It would also solve the issues that Granade and others have raised, about how/why are the zombies now docile that you've cut off their jaw/arms, and how do you make the procedure require high enough skills without being arbitrarily hard.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kevin Granade wants Zombie Slaves because he can't buy vibrators called vibrators in Alabama.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is it pretty possible in this to clear out a town permanently, and build a farm and live happily ever after by yourself?

I got pretty far last I played, but my farm was just me and some water bottles that I'd distill/refill when it rained and I shot deer for meat with my bow while sleeping in a cabin I stumbled upon :(

The post-apocalypse reorganization and attempts to reform society are what I think are pretty neat rather that romping around shooting zombies constantly. And the only way to do that is to build a farm, and defend it from stray wanderers etc.

EDIT: haha is that Granade guy a dev? Jesus loving christ

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 29, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Is it pretty possible in this to clear out a town permanently, and build a farm and live happily ever after by yourself?
Somewhat. You can absolutely get rid of all the zombies in a town and they won't come back. Cleared areas are set to spawn mutated animals, though, so you'll never be completely safe. The spawn rate is low and the animals are weak, though, so a minimal amount of pest control will suffice.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Anticheese posted:

Excise the zlave poo poo, add cool robots.

Better idea, excise the zlave poo poo, add cool pilotable robots. :hellyeah:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Somewhat. You can absolutely get rid of all the zombies in a town and they won't come back.

This depends a bit on the spawn mode. In Static mode just kill all the zombies and they'll be dead. In Dynamic zombies will keep spawning, but if you kill enough of them (a lot) eventually the local spawn list will be depleted and you will have cleared the area out.
Zombie animals will keep spawning either way though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

This depends a bit on the spawn mode. In Static mode just kill all the zombies and they'll be dead. In Dynamic zombies will keep spawning, but if you kill enough of them (a lot) eventually the local spawn list will be depleted and you will have cleared the area out.
Zombie animals will keep spawning either way though.
What value do you need to edit to mess with their rarity? Static spawn x 3 is pretty cool, but almost constant zolf packs attacks are stupid.