Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Gensuki posted:

The cost is fine for the general effect, but it doesn't baseline function as is. Because the ability is on the card, once it exiles itself, there's nothing you can do to return him. The easy fix would be to add the phrase "You may only activate this ability if Cardname has been exiled with its own ability" but that is jank too.

I would give it to the tokens, and let it be a small engine to make 1/1 flyers? Something like (1)T: return Cardname to the battlefield from exile.

Maybe "Exile ~ and put a number of blue Bird tokens with Flying and '{1}, T, Sac 2 Birds: Return ~ to the battlefield from exile.' equal to ~'s toughness onto the battlefield." or something along those lines exact numbers can be changed but I like the idea.

He's actually an engine card this way and keeps his flavor. Combo him with buffs and/or token multipliers and he goes crazy otherwise he just gets a layer of evasion with some bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
I suspected as such, though I wasn't certain. And, I suppose that making it a token generator works, though it bugs my urge to make the card flavorful, to a degree. Would something along the lines of "~ can be cast from exile for (1), as long as tokens created by it remain on the battlefield. If ~ is cast this way, sacrifice all tokens created by it" work?

Edit: I actually thought of that Cernunnos, but decided against it since I felt like that lead to the single ability becoming even more of a big block than it already is. If it would work better, though, I could certainly reconsider.

Aabcehmu fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 27, 2014

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I'm not sure on the rules to multiple entries, but here is another one.

Because this card doesn't actually exist yet, oddly enough. The faded, dust kicked into the air look made the subject somewhat ethereal, and Yellow is generally lumped in as a white defining color- as much as purple is with black- so I thought of a white effect that involved creatures disappearing. So yeah. Unconditional exile seems about right since easy conditional exile is 3 mana, and unconditional with upside is 5 mana.

By fetsch

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

A little Innistrad flavor. Bringers typically "do a thing on your upkeep" so I thought this guy would be neat. Hope you can deal with him!

Cross-pollination:

Challenge mode: Cannot just be "Jinx, the card"

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Everblight posted:

A little Innistrad flavor. Bringers typically "do a thing on your upkeep" so I thought this guy would be neat. Hope you can deal with him!

...I think that needs to say sacrifice or cost a bit more. 4 mana to destroy one of your opponents lands every turn is pretty devastating, especially on something you can have more than one of...

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Sleep of Bronze posted:

A three mana, two colour combat trick which requires a pretty specific scenario - the rather dangerous scenario of multiblocking for that matter - had better be strong, to be fair to Alris. I think it was the better start to push it and then think about reining it in than to underpower it from the beginning.
The original version was two Giant Growth's stapled to a better version on Stand Together (which is already 5CMC), so it should pretty clearly be reigned in. It's STILL multiple Giant Growth's stapled to Common Bond++, which means it's probably still too good at uncommon. It's functionally instant speed Hunt the Weak for more than one guy which always seems good.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gensuki posted:

...I think that needs to say sacrifice or cost a bit more. 4 mana to destroy one of your opponents lands every turn is pretty devastating, especially on something you can have more than one of...
Eh, the effect's strong, but not something that's particularly scary on turn 5 on the most fragile card type. World Queller, for instance.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Everblight posted:

Bringers weer a specific type connected directly to the 5 mana 'suns' on Mirrodin. I don't know that the creature type is really applicable for an Innistrad Tree.

E: And, as mentioned, it's an incredibly potent effect at 4 CMC given the rarity. Consider Avalanche Riders has echo and blows up only one land, period, at the same CMC. Consider changing it to "When ~ enters the battlefield, destroy target non-Forest land."

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Gensuki posted:

I'm not sure on the rules to multiple entries, but here is another one.

Because this card doesn't actually exist yet, oddly enough. The faded, dust kicked into the air look made the subject somewhat ethereal, and Yellow is generally lumped in as a white defining color- as much as purple is with black- so I thought of a white effect that involved creatures disappearing. So yeah. Unconditional exile seems about right since easy conditional exile is 3 mana, and unconditional with upside is 5 mana.

Unmake is unconditional and costs 3, and is an instant.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Everblight posted:

Eh, the effect's strong, but not something that's particularly scary on turn 5 on the most fragile card type. World Queller, for instance.

Or turn 3 if they have a Sol ring. Turn 4 at least if they have a mana dork or ramp. And once it comes down, unless your opponent is mono green it is absurdly powerful. Repeated land destruction is not printed often for a reason.

As to it being the most fragile card type, most people don't want to spend removal on a 1/4, they want to use it on something that will actually kill them.

To compare it going off once, unconditional land destruction costs 3 mana, usually 2R. That means that it ends up effectively being a 1 mana 1/4 which is pretty absurd. Destroying 2 lands usually costs about 6 or 7 mana. In both cases, they are red spells.

Compare Mine layer ?

Dr. Stab posted:

Unmake is unconditional and costs 3, and is an instant.

Oh my, you're right. I was looking at mono white cards...

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Gensuki posted:

Or turn 3 if they have a Sol ring.

Saying that something is powerful when used in conjunction with one of the most bustedly powerful cards in magic isn't really saying anything. I also don't think anyone would be playing that in a format where sol ring is legal (or maybe they would. Who knows about vintage anymore, I mean, Slash Panther? really?).

Also, it's turn 2 with a sol ring, not turn 3.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Dr. Stab posted:

Also, it's turn 2 with a sol ring, not turn 3.

The effect triggers at the beginning of the turn, so it goes off for the first time on your 3rd turn at the earliest.. The important thing is, your opponent does not get to cast spells that cost more than 4 mana if you resolve this, and if they are even a little mana screwed this 4 mana 1/4 basically wins you the game.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Yeah I think the problem isn't whether it's too powerful or not but rather that it's really oppressive and unfun.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

I was very taken with the artist's title "Invisible Fist" and decided this had to have a way to be cast when you were tapped out. Making it only a Shock and requiring you to pitch seemed like it would keep this pretty well under control but I could be wrong.

Combine with wraths and indestructible (both nicely in white) for lots of fun. I wanted to make it just */* and have it exile something as it came in, but I don't think additional cost clauses or the like would actually count the eventual battlefield object itself as exiling something? 'As ~ enters the battlefield', maybe? Probably not enough room on there for the clause anyway.

Mind Controls with downsides for cheap are interesting cards to develop and balance. In this case, I basically just went the flavour route. They get snapped out of it if they hit/get hit by an ally, but you can keep them on side by not putting them anywhere near people they know. Unlike Threads, maybe the most popular of the cheap MCs, this is notably bad on Tarmogoyf because all that card really does is combat.

Art:
Wayne Reynolds

Min Yum

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Combine with wraths and indestructible (both nicely in white) for lots of fun. I wanted to make it just */* and have it exile something as it came in, but I don't think additional cost clauses or the like would actually count the eventual battlefield object itself as exiling something? 'As ~ enters the battlefield', maybe? Probably not enough room on there for the clause anyway.

Oddly enough, I think this doesn't work as printed? None of the exiled cards were really exiled by it, so much as they were exiled by its ability...? Not sure if that makes sense. It's kind of like if a creature is destroyed by magma spray, it is exiled but not by the card?

I am bad at explaining this and I might be wrong. The lack of a reference to the cards being exiled under Ingridr is throwing me off a bit. I am comparing it to Nightveil specter which states that the cards are in fact exiled by it...

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 28, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gensuki posted:

Oddly enough, I think this doesn't work as printed? None of the exiled cards were really exiled by it, so much as they were exiled by its ability...? Not sure if that makes sense. It's kind of like if a creature is destroyed by magma spray, it is exiled but not by the card?

I am bad at explaining this and I might be wrong. The lack of a reference to the cards being exiled under Ingridr is throwing me off a bit. I am comparing it to Nightveil specter which states that the cards are in fact exiled by it...

No, it works fine. Compare it to Parallax Wave, which is a much closer analogue.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Yeah, that's just how these things work. I hunted down Coldsnap's Void Maw to show an instance where a creature creating a replacement effect still counts as that creature exiling stuff, which helped remind me that the clause should actually say if instead of whenever. I'll get around to fixing that at some point. So even if you weren't quite right, you did make me improve my templating anyway. Thanks. :)

While we're on minor points

Kasonic posted:

Inspiration struck me, that's a great piece.

Edit: Tapping the zombie is very confusing while granting vigilance, oh well

Liches aren't a creature type; in fact, they don't seem to have ever been. In the early days of Magic, they were enchantments, and nowadays they're Zombie or Zombie Wizard creatures. See Jarad, Golgari Lichlord, Phylactery Lich, Lich Lord of UNX UNX UNX et al.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Everblight posted:

Challenge mode: Cannot just be "Jinx, the card"

I know nothing about LoL.

And I'm also bad at acronyms. Anyway, she has a bullet belt (bullet top?) and has the Izzet colors, so I figured this would be good. I have no idea how accurate it is to whatever she does in the game. v:v:v

By Reigokoro from Pixiv.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Ramos posted:

I know nothing about LoL.

And I'm also bad at acronyms. Anyway, she has a bullet belt (bullet top?) and has the Izzet colors, so I figured this would be good. I have no idea how accurate it is to whatever she does in the game. v:v:v

Get in my Enter the Infinite/Riddle of Lightning/Blast of Genius deck right the hell now!

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Here is a modified Flock Transmogrifist, which is hopefully functional this time, though it's still quite wordy. Also, an additional card, and a third image offering.

, by Tran Nguyen.

Edit: For Grand Dreaming, since I'm not certain you technically control permanents that aren't on the battlefield, I might have to replace that with "you own," though I don't know if that'd let you bring in cards from outside the game, too.

Aabcehmu fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 28, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I love top-down design! Here we go!

First, a slight rework of Attended Knight, Better in some situations, worse in others.

And the appropriate token to match

Next, a common aura that I think matches the flavor of the art. If there were a smaller version of the art, my card could show that he is flying, but you've seen the full art, so:

Next, a RUG commander (and Mistform Ultimus is an auto-include).

Finally, a new mechanic I've been kicking around that acts sort of like Hideaway and Cipher. I imagine other Inhabit cards with more static effects (like anthems) or ones that give the lands abilities (like an inhabit Caustic Tar), etc. Here goes...

Whaddya think, sirs?

edit: Here's my art contribution. Unfortunately, GIS doesn't show any useful artist information...

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 29, 2014

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Aabcehmu posted:

Edit: For Grand Dreaming, since I'm not certain you technically control permanents that aren't on the battlefield, I might have to replace that with "you own," though I don't know if that'd let you bring in cards from outside the game, too.

You do need to change it to "you own" since you don't actually control things off the battlefield.

And yes it would let you bring in cards from outside the game but so does Spawnsire of Ulamog. "Face up" I think will prevent that from being abused though. And I think it has to say "permanent card" to actually work?

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Cernunnos posted:

You do need to change it to "you own" since you don't actually control things off the battlefield.

And yes it would let you bring in cards from outside the game but so does Spawnsire of Ulamog. "Face up" I think will prevent that from being abused though. And I think it has to say "permanent card" to actually work?

Alright, edits made. Out of curiosity, would the 'permanent card' thing be because things that aren't on the battlefield aren't technically permanents, just cards that lead to permanents?

And another image.

, by Allison Chin.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Aabcehmu posted:

Alright, edits made. Out of curiosity, would the 'permanent card' thing be because things that aren't on the battlefield aren't technically permanents, just cards that lead to permanents?

Assuming I am correct about that, yes that was my thinking.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

And for a new picture, did you know that apart from his work on Magic Pete Mohrbacher does some really cool art? I'm getting a lot of Planeswalker-slash-Eldrazi vibes from it, especially the awesome Leliel piece. Anyway, my choice is below:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Didn't really feel like there was a good way to get both subjects of this meeting in the picture, and wasn't feeling inspired re:lands or spells that could have used the bottom part of the picture. So I played around a bit with the idea of a camouflaging creature with a sort of reverse Intimidate that felt quite blue.

It's possible that this whole mess could be keyworded in some way or another to take up less space, but an all colour one seems too broad, finicky, and unlikely to be used on a lot of creatures; five single colour variants don't take up much less room and I can't come up with good/flavourful names.

I suspect the set FAQ or the Gatherer rulings would have to point out that creatures becoming a colour means they become only that colour unless otherwise specified, which is most of the reason for me putting this at uncommon.

The style of the creature and the atmosphere of the art made me think of some mythological creature, badly specified, being passed down in an oral tradition that terrified children. So a spirit, killing things in the night. I very much like the flavour of the counter as a kind of ever-present threat, especially since the Stalker can be bounced or killed and still assassinate you if it returns to the board. Don't ever draw a pack of these down on your head either, because they'll finish each other's work. The flavour also runs alongside that of the Theros Inspired mechanic, where tapped creatures are exhausted/sleeping, and untapping is them returning to wakefulness full of fresh ideas. Stalker is bad against wide awake creatures, and would rather you stayed asleep forever. For lesser value, you can always tap to put a prey counter on an already tapped creature and then murder it. Very possibly should be 3UB.

Art Chain:
Denman Rooke's Bear Warrior

Ben Wootton's Burninate the Peasants

And let's go abstract with ChaosFissure's Corruption of Eden

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 28, 2014

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

And, in keeping with the new Khans of Tarkir expansion, have some art

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Countersock - Both Azorius and Boros.

Servant of the Castle by ZERG118 (http://zerg118.deviantart.com/art/Servant-of-the-Castle-180709181)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

"1: Until end of turn, ~ can't be blocked by creatures that share a color with the mana used to pay for this ability's cost"

v:shobon:v
You have literally just made Bounty Hunter

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Everblight posted:

"1: Until end of turn, ~ can't be blocked by creatures that share a color with the mana used to pay for this ability's cost"

v:shobon:v
Colour changing has other ramifications, like Doom Blade targeting. Corner cases but still. And I like the flavour on this better for the Top Down challenge, as well as the fact that mine doesn't stack like your version does. Though yours certainly reads cleaner and is probably what it would get cut down to in real R&D.

quote:

You have literally just made Bounty Hunter
Not literally at all. :colbert:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Aabcehmu posted:

And another image.

, by Allison Chin.

Island
Basic Land - Island

Done.

But, seriously

Artist - Rebecca Guay

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

My favorite pair of guilds to draft together in Dragon Maze, Gatecrash, Return to Ravnica was Simic and Golgari due to how utterly synergistic they were out of the box.

Timmy card.

Two pieces of art for two cards:

By Matataku from Pixiv.

By Miyai Haruki, also from Pixiv.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 28, 2014

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Here is another card, exampling a way that I think black can be less uncouth than it usually seems to be.

And, another image offering.

, by Jin Xiaodi

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Ramos posted:

By Matataku from Pixiv.

Yavimaya elder.

Aabcehmu posted:

Here is another card, exampling a way that I think black can be less uncouth than it usually seems to be.

Comboable with Gift of immortality. I like it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It's a cool idea but I believe it needs to have the aura and counters stick with it while it moves to and from the graveyard as opposed to just to in order for it to work.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Leaves an interesting taste in the mouth, too. An immortal, perpetually left in funeral regalia, since they die so often, only to return. Presumably, you'd stick the two onto something with 1 toughness, but even then, how fast do you think it can grow?

Both ways? Huh, I figured it only needed it in, since I thought they only came off the creature when it left play, not when it entered. Just in case, here's the edit, even if it's minor.

And another, albeit possibly a bit bland, image offering.

, by Eric Gehlin.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Aabcehmu posted:

Some things: the last ability can just be "Whenever enchanted creature dies, put a +1/+0 counter on it." And I don't think they do counters that aren't +1/+1 or -1/-1 because of confusion issues. Would this be unbalanced if they were +1/+1?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Work was really boring today. So I made too many cards.

It's art of a raven titled Nevermore and based on the Poe poem, of course I'm going to give it a Nevermore effect. Plus City in a Bottle because we might as well be complete about our bans. The body must be fragile, both flavour and balance wise.

Fitting the picture into just a normal frame does some new things for the interpretation. There's this look, just a 1/1 flier for U with a little flavourful upside.

And then there's this one which is sort of Trait Doctoring on a stick. But I loved the fact that it was a bird with a quill that was actually rewriting cards for you so much. (Still Uncommon because I don't care how much of the set's UC complexity portion I'm taking up, no one deserves to open this as their rare.)

The art gives the illusion of being a peaceful illustration but it's really not. Everything is falling apart and away from the oblivious sleeping child. I tried to capture that as a sort of struggle (likely doomed in the end) to keep your opponents' creatures young and innocent by having to keep paying mana in an odd sort of reverse Propaganda effect. It's up to you to take advantage while you can. I think the mechanics also show a very superficial illusion of niceness while quickly revealing something else. It's White, the 'good' colour. But it's actually a Curse which puts serious brakes on your opponenents, and this is in fact the side of White that executes high handed moral judgements (you must always be pure and innocent) without any consultation with the creatures it's judging. It's very opposite Red, which is all about change and experiencing new things and passion and not an innocence found in perpetual, magically enforced stasis, however apparently worthwhile.

Sneaked this from the bottom of that same illustration. This started off more as a reverse Abrupt Decay, and then I decided to scale it up to reflect the art more. G/B and W/B for permanent destruction, white (oddly) for both the indiscriminacy of hitting everyone and for the choosiness of picking a threshold CMC considered acceptable. Taking some cues from e.g Elspeth, Vanquish the Foul and Austere Command in that respect.

You mentioned Khans when you brought up this art and I decided to oblige. Centaurs are Green so he likely belongs to the Green-focused Temur Frontier, the clan of Savagery. Like most wedges, there isn't a very clear mechanical identity as yet, but I thought this combined ATTACKING (red, bit of green), CARD DRAWING (blue, bit of green when ophidian/based around creatures) and COUNTERS (green, while red has the majority of saboteurs that do this). Unfortunately there wasn't space to make him a Centaur Druid Warrior Scout Archer.

I scooped up a number of art samples from Allison Chin for this. They should all be landscape or have a focal point you can easily cut to landscape, so you're not messing around with promo/clear frames to convey the flavour you're writing for properly.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 29, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Some more fun with top-down design:

This one is a Master of Predicaments with a Diabolic Tutor twist. The upside: you can search for any card you want. The downside is, of course, if they guess correctly, the card is gone forever. I'm not sure whether the ability to cast it immediately is too broken. If it is, I will downgrade it to putting the card into your hand instead of being able to cast it from exile.

Next, a legendary creature. The first ability is pretty boilerplate for Izzet. I think it's pretty powerful on its own, but I wanted to give him a little more tribal flair, so I had him give all Orcs the Heroic ability. I was on the fence about conferring the ability to Goblins as well, a la Orcish General, but with the upcoming set featuring Orcs, maybe the ability will stand on its own.

And here's some art to play around with:

Illus: Sandara on DeviantArt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Are there a significant number of lands with a CMC of 4 nowadays? I don't play Type II.

• Locked thread