Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1407_2015_dodge_challenger_srt_hellcat_first_test/

quote:

Now a word about trap speeds. 125 mph is insane. Here's some comparative data for you. The 991 Porsche 911 Turbo S can hammer home the quarter mile in just 10.9 seconds (on Pirelli P Zeros, coincidently) but its trap speed is only 123.7 mph. The quicker time is due to better traction at launch (thanks, AWD!) but the Dodge -- which costs a third the entry price of the porker, about $60K versus $180K -- is going faster at the end of 1320 feet. And since stoplight-to-stoplight racing is never GPS-tracked ... You get my point. Look at the 2014 Nissan GT-R Track Edition. That flavor of Godzilla does the quarter in 11.0 seconds flat, but is "only" trapping at 125.1 mph. OK, so the Hellcat's barely faster, but here's the point -- it's faster.

Conclusion. Get some fatter, stickier rear meats for the Challenger Hellcat and it really does have the intestinal fortitude to embarrass cars costing double and triple the price. A retired and wheeled Hellcat would probably smack that Shelby around pretty good, too. Until then, Hellcat owners can happily chew on the knowledge that the next cheapest 700-horsepower steed in existence is the $322,638, 731-hp Ferrari F12 Berlinetta. More important, I've driven both cars and would much rather drive the Hellcat. I've also spent a great deal of time in the Shelby GT500. And the Viper. And the ZL1. Hellcat, hands down. Hats off to the Dodge boys. They've built an all-timer.

Not quite the 11.2 dodge put out, but trap speeds faster than a 911 turbo S, or nissan GTR. Amazing for a car that weighs 4449lbs and 57/43 weight distro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Kill-9 posted:

Terrible? Maybe. Ashamed? Nope. It's their brains and their life. It's not my place to enforce. If someone decides to not wear a helmet, it's very unlikely to harm anyone but themselves. Just like smoking. It's a stupid loving idea but I'm not going to go around telling my friends "don't loving smoke". I'm not their mommy.

You're getting beat up over this, but I'm in the exact same boat: I'd never, ever drive a motorcycle on a public road. It's just too drat dangerous. However, I'd consider something like this, especially after reading your review.

I can't help but wonder why it isn't FWD.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

oRenj9 posted:

You're getting beat up over this, but I'm in the exact same boat: I'd never, ever drive a motorcycle on a public road. It's just too drat dangerous. However, I'd consider something like this, especially after reading your review.

Because front wheel drive sucks.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
I really wish Hyundai would mass produce their own gokart with the Genesis motor, no added frills, and sticker it for $20k. Or someone. The Crossbow costing $88k is a ridiculous entry point. I get that you don't cross shop the Can Am and the Atom/Xbow, but you can get a trike for $15k.

Take a parts-bin turbo I4, mediocre suspension, enough modern functions so that it's not breaking down or burning up every 15 minutes, and spend the rest of the budget on a relatively well-tooled 1500lb chassis. Presto, the new budget Atom; MSRP it at $25k. They'd sell like crazy. Hyundai Genesis Superleggera.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Ford HellTaurus, the 17 foot long muscle sedan.

Ford Taurus Pamplona. :spain:

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Nait Sirhc posted:

Take a parts-bin turbo I4, mediocre suspension, enough modern functions so that it's not breaking down or burning up every 15 minutes, and spend the rest of the budget on a relatively well-tooled 1500lb chassis. Presto, the new budget Atom; MSRP it at $25k. They'd sell like crazy. Hyundai Genesis Superleggera.

So a CG WRX with tons of weight reduction and rwd only?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nait Sirhc posted:

I really wish Hyundai would mass produce their own gokart with the Genesis motor, no added frills, and sticker it for $20k. Or someone. The Crossbow costing $88k is a ridiculous entry point. I get that you don't cross shop the Can Am and the Atom/Xbow, but you can get a trike for $15k.

The FRS/BRZ had to make comprimises to make the 25k pricepoint, such as cast iron suspension componenets. It also came from 2 companies with experience in well-sorted chassis.

I don't understand why the motorcycle companies that also make cars can't make a car that reflects what they do with a motorcycle. Honda and suzuki make superbikes, but produce shitbox cars. Someone like kawasaki should shake the game up, license the rear engine twingo and put the ZX-14 engine into it and some big sticky tires.

e: there can't possibly be too much inside the front 80% of the twingo that they couldn't make the body look like an moder porsche 550.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 29, 2014

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Powershift posted:

I don't understand why the motorcycle companies that also make cars can't make a car that reflects what they do with a motorcycle. Honda and suzuki make superbikes, but produce shitbox cars.

Developing a car is orders of magnitude more complex and expensive than developing a bike. Besides which, Suzuki makes solid cheap vehicles and Honda makes the best, or damned near the best, cars in every segment which they compete in. When Honda actually gives a poo poo about catering to car nerds they produce something like the NSX, Integra Type-R or S2000; Honda makes boring cars because boring cars make money, not because they're incapable of making world-class sports cars.

I doubt Kawasaki could build a road-worthy, marketable, real (Not a kit car) car without a massive corporate restructuring, to say nothing of the dealership and repair requirements.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Pretty sure you guys are running into kit car territory with these proposals.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wheeee posted:

Developing a car is orders of magnitude more complex and expensive than developing a bike. Besides which, Suzuki makes solid cheap vehicles and Honda makes the best, or damned near the best, cars in every segment which they compete in. When Honda actually gives a poo poo about catering to car nerds they produce something like the NSX, Integra Type-R or S2000; Honda makes boring cars because boring cars make money, not because they're incapable of making world-class sports cars.

I doubt Kawasaki could build a road-worthy, marketable, real (Not a kit car) car without a massive corporate restructuring, to say nothing of the dealership and repair requirements.

Are you from 2002?

That's the only scenario where i could see someone thinking honda is at the head of the pack, or bringing up the NSX, S2000, or ITR in defense of them.

I'm not suggesting kawasaki start from scratch, Instead apply their efforts to an existing chassis, like what was done with the lotus carlton, MG SV, or prodrive P2(granted this was never produced)

Cream_Filling posted:

Pretty sure you guys are running into kit car territory with these proposals.

Or take the TVR route.

edit: just had a thought. I wonder if 2015 WRX stuff will fit into the factory five 818.

FA 20/6 speed would sure beat the EJ/5 speed

Powershift fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 29, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

edit: just had a thought. I wonder if 2015 WRX stuff will fit into the factory five 818.

Wouldn't be surprised. I bet the bellhousing is the same and everything (although on the BRZ the starter got moved to the other side - I don't think that's the case on the WRX). Dunno about the tailshaft adapter, I don't think they have one for the STI 6MT yet but the WRX 6MT case should be roughly the same I bet.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

oRenj9 posted:

I'd wager those trikes are not significantly more safe than a motorcycle - it has no airbags or crumple zones, so if you got rear ended by an SUV instead of getting thrown into the air and probably breaking some bones and getting a concussion on the landing but otherwise surviving assuming you're wearing a helmet and armored gear while riding a bike, this thing has the potential to get you smashed into a metal-meat-metal sandwich as the rear of that thing collapses and smashes you forward into the engine. Being classed as a motorcycle means there's no requirement for any crash testing or safety equipment of any kind, so I wouldn't be entirely surprised that it has some fun blast-from-the-past deathtrap amenities like non-collapsing steering columns and non-breakaway engine mounts that allow the engine to intrude into the footwell.

I don't envy the first time some firefighters have to use the jaws of life to pry someone's mangled corpse from the middle of one of these things.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Powershift posted:

I don't understand why the motorcycle companies that also make cars can't make a car that reflects what they do with a motorcycle. Honda and suzuki make superbikes, but produce shitbox cars. Someone like kawasaki should shake the game up, license the rear engine twingo and put the ZX-14 engine into it and some big sticky tires.

The motorcycle companies are completely separate business elements. Honda's motorcycle business has as much to do with their cars as it does with their lawnmowers (with the NC700's half-a-Fit-engine being a very, very rare thread of synergy) and only somewhat more than Kawasaki's bikes have to do with their high-speed trains, or Yamaha's bikes with their pianos. This is also why Suzuki's US motorcycle arm wasn't pulled down when the US car business went kaput.

Even ignoring the corporate structure angle, you have a tremendous regulatory burden introduced if you start making automobiles, and the huge hassle of building a dealer / service network (see: Tesla) that is going to share roughly nothing with your powersport product line.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Powershift posted:

Are you from 2002?

That's the only scenario where i could see someone thinking honda is at the head of the pack, or bringing up the NSX, S2000, or ITR in defense of them.

I'm not suggesting kawasaki start from scratch, Instead apply their efforts to an existing chassis, like what was done with the lotus carlton, MG SV, or prodrive P2(granted this was never produced)

Or take the TVR route.

Considering the amount of customization you need to do to assemble one of thee (even when following the instruction manual to the letter), I'm sure anything could fit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well, the base model GLA pricing has been announced at $31,300.

Be prepared to see these absolutley loving everywhere.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Wouldn't be surprised. I bet the bellhousing is the same and everything (although on the BRZ the starter got moved to the other side - I don't think that's the case on the WRX). Dunno about the tailshaft adapter, I don't think they have one for the STI 6MT yet but the WRX 6MT case should be roughly the same I bet.

It was annoying enough getting the EJ in there:

But someone is doing an EZ30 and someone else a VR6 so I'm sure its doable. That said the turbo EJ is probably enough power for 60% of the weight of the WRX.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Powershift posted:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1407_2015_dodge_challenger_srt_hellcat_first_test/

Not quite the 11.2 dodge put out, but trap speeds faster than a 911 turbo S, or nissan GTR. Amazing for a car that weighs 4449lbs and 57/43 weight distro.
Its a modern day muscle car. Well done. Its still a loving Dodge.
Quarter miles are easy to dissect. 60ft is about traction, trap speed is HP, and ET is a mix of the two. Stick it on a road course and you'll feel every one of those 4449 pounds.

And quoting that article

quote:

What about competition you can't buy new anymore, like -- for instance -- the recently discontinued 662-hp Shelby GT500? The lighter Snake needed only 3.5 seconds for its 60-mph blast and 11.6 seconds to go down the quarter mile with a trap speed of 125.7 mph. Slight advantage: Ford

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 29, 2014

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
You think the tires or the transmission will last longer on that dodge hellcat?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

If we're going to do stupid comparisons, how many G's does the hellcat pull? How about the slalom? Oh, that's not what the car is about? I know I was shopping the Porsche for the sick 1/4 mile times :rolleyes: .

Did you know that the Dodge Ram is also better offroad than the new Z06?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Powershift posted:

I...think... I like it.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

fknlo posted:

If we're going to do stupid comparisons, how many G's does the hellcat pull? How about the slalom? Oh, that's not what the car is about? I know I was shopping the Porsche for the sick 1/4 mile times :rolleyes: .

I'm not supposed to offroad corvettes?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

G-Mach posted:

I'm not supposed to offroad corvettes?

Ignore him, he's just trying to hurt you.

fknlo posted:

Those figures would make it a better all-around performance car, which at $60k would really be amazing. The point is if you encounter either of those other cars in the wild, you would might be able to embarass them. Those 2 were chosen because they are the 2 fastest regular road cars. Nobody is saying someone is going to cross-shop a Turbo S and a hellcat based on trap speeds.

Christobevii3 posted:

You think the tires or the transmission will last longer on that dodge hellcat?
While the correct answer would usually just be "no", dodge is calling the transmission "HP90" which is ZF's designation for it which suggests they're buying boxes from ZF. The ZF designed transmissions they build they themselves they rename torqueflite, and "8xxRE". It's rated for 900nm of torque, and they're only making 881nm, so it should be ok. Nothing will save 275 section tires from that kind of torque though.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 29, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Powershift posted:

I don't understand MB's rush to go downmarket all of a sudden. There's no way they're making a quality vehicle on par with MB's standards for 31.3K. It'll be interesting to see the ramifications of decisions like this in 10 or 15 years. And yes, those fuckers will be everywhere. Here in San Antonio, home of the 30,000 dollar millionaire, C300's and CLA250's are everywhere.. they can barely keep them on the lot. Lots of GLK350's as well. To each their own, but I rather drive a Fusion Titanium than a stripped CLA.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

skipdogg posted:

I don't understand MB's rush to go downmarket all of a sudden. There's no way they're making a quality vehicle on par with MB's standards for 31.3K. It'll be interesting to see the ramifications of decisions like this in 10 or 15 years. And yes, those fuckers will be everywhere. Here in San Antonio, home of the 30,000 dollar millionaire, C300's and CLA250's are everywhere.. they can barely keep them on the lot. Lots of GLK350's as well. To each their own, but I rather drive a Fusion Titanium than a stripped CLA.

Fleet fuel economy standards probably play a big role. Being a taller CLA, it should get close to the same 26 city/38 highway, and selling 10 of these to each twin turbo V8 they sell means their fleet average will look pretty good. Sure, they make a diesel hybrid e-class that does 70mpg, but convincing the customers in the price range to buy that is a hell of a lot harder than selling an econobox to badge whores.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

skipdogg posted:

You're right. Merc has never ever cheaped out on quality while doubling down on aspirational advertising before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7iF981umiA

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 29, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Powershift posted:

Fleet fuel economy standards probably play a big role. Being a taller CLA, it should get close to the same 26 city/38 highway, and selling 10 of these to each twin turbo V8 they sell means their fleet average will look pretty good. Sure, they make a diesel hybrid e-class that does 70mpg, but convincing the customers in the price range to buy that is a hell of a lot harder than selling an econobox to badge whores.

That makes some sense.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You're right. Merc has never ever cheaped out on quality while doubling down on aspirational advertising before.

I'm not sure they've ever done it to this extreme... they've always had their entry level C class, a friends mom had a 2002 C230 Kompressor hatch back in the day, but now they have 4 different vehicles that can be had for under 40K. Maybe I need to adjust my internal opinion of MB. I still think of them as a premium car brand that builds some of the nicest cars on the road and charges appropriately for them. Now people can cross shop a Kia Optima Limited with a C250 Luxury sedan, and the Kia is probably the better car.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 29, 2014

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

Sure, they make a diesel hybrid e-class that does 70mpg,

Must not be available in America

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

skipdogg posted:

That makes some sense.

I'm not sure they've ever done it to this extreme... they've always had their entry level C class, a friends mom had a 2002 C230 Kompressor hatch back in the day, but now they have 4 different vehicles that can be had for under 40K. Maybe I need to adjust my internal opinion of MB. I still think of them as a premium car brand that builds some of the nicest cars on the road and charges appropriately for them.

Model bloat has a lot to do with it as well. The CLA is about the same size as the w202 C class. The new C class is about the same size as the W124 E-class. It's not as rapid as most brands, but it's happening. Audi brought in the A1 because the A2

PCOS Bill posted:

Of course not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EITiqurE8dc

It costs the equiavelnt of $72,000 in the UK. That would be a tough sell in north america.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 29, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PCOS Bill posted:

Looks like you'd be correct.

Edit: Powershiiiiiiiiiiift! :argh:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

skipdogg posted:

They haven't been makign quality vehicles on par with MB standards for years now, though.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Compared to other cars that are the same size as it, i.e. BMW 7 series, Porsche Panamera, Audi A8, Mercedes CL, the Challenger is at worst about the same curb weight and usually lighter. And faster. And costs 1/3 the price. Yet every time a new Challenger comes out, The Internet seems to be flabbergasted that it isn't a Miata and that's why they'll never buy one. If all these assholes actually went out and bought Miatas Mazda wouldn't constantly be teetering on the edge of bankruptcy.

The day that Chrysler buys Mazda outright and turns it into Dodge Asia can't come soon enough.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Throatwarbler posted:

Compared to other cars that are the same size as it, i.e. BMW 7 series, Porsche Panamera, Audi A8, Mercedes CL, the Challenger is at worst about the same curb weight and usually lighter. And faster. And costs 1/3 the price. Yet every time a new Challenger comes out, The Internet seems to be flabbergasted that it isn't a Miata and that's why they'll never buy one. If all these assholes actually went out and bought Miatas Mazda wouldn't constantly be teetering on the edge of bankruptcy.

The day that Chrysler buys Mazda outright and turns it into Dodge Asia can't come soon enough.
Maybe it's bigger than the cars it *should* be compared to, as opposed to the same size as those that should be bigger than it.
Nobody said the challenger is supposed to be a miata. Its supposed to be the same size as a Mustang or Camaro, but those are both much smaller cars.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'll buy a Miata the day their interiors are sized for adults.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

Mazda makes really good cars though. FCA Mazda would make reskinned Darts.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

Nobody is going to cross-shop an A8 or Panamera against a Hellcat Challenger. It's nowhere near as luxurious as any of those cars; the only thing it has going for it is tons of ponies under the hood, it's (purportedly) a pony car, not a luxo-barge. And pony cars are supposed to be smallish.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I don't really get the appeal of the hellcat to be honest

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I was always under the impression that the Challenger is supposed to be the last full-blown muscle car, a huge coupe with big engines that can seat 4 adults and rides comfortable enough for road trips. People lump it with the Mustang and Camaro because they're the only affordable American sports cars left. The Challenger is still more biased towards the touring side of things than sport though. If it's more than a rumor, the D segment Dodge that's being developed with Alfa will be an actual contender to the pony cars, and I don't think it would eat into its big brother's sales too much.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

This is the only CUV I've ever seen that doesn't look like a turd. It's basically a hatchback with a high beltline.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I think I'd rather do a lot of highway driving or commuting in a Challenger than a Mustang or Camaro and if I wanted a track-focused car it wouldn't be a Mustang or Camaro anyway.

I totally get the Challenger even if I'd never personally buy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

HotCanadianChick posted:

Nobody is going to cross-shop an A8 or Panamera against a Hellcat Challenger. It's nowhere near as luxurious as any of those cars; the only thing it has going for it is tons of ponies under the hood, it's (purportedly) a pony car, not a luxo-barge. And pony cars are supposed to be smallish.

Given the size, and platform sharing with regular volume cars like the Charger, you could argue it's a muscle car. Though honestly if they had just called the Challenger the Charger and the Charger the Coronet probably people wouldn't complain as much.