Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

googleplaystore.txt posted:

No one told me there is a 3 strikes and you’re out policy when it comes to app suspensions. I thought I could get maybe 20-30 apps suspended without repercussions. Not that I was attempting to do that, but 3 apps? Come on! That’s kind of ridiculous. Any developer with a fair number of apps might make a few mistakes here and there.

a cj turned android developer posted:

I thought I was doing these guys a favor. The apps I wrote would have cost about $50,000 each if I had charged for my time. I basically donated $500,000 to the Android community. That’s how I saw things. How can you get it trouble when your trying to improve the platform and give away free apps?

really mad about iphones posted:

I was a die hard Apple fan since 1985 and was an Apple developer all through the darkest days of the Apple death spiral. I continued to be an Apple fan until they announced the “walled garden” and the app review process for iOS. I am totally against having to get permission from a corporation to write and sell apps, and I certainly don’t think I should be forced to sell my work through their store and their store only.

I enjoy interacting with my customers directly, and am known to post updates hours or minutes after a bug is discovered by a customer. Apple doesn’t allow this. The app review process makes this impossible.

So, I threw out my macs, smashed my iPhones, switched my whole family to Ubuntu and Android.

i wrote a ton of shovelware and now i cant figure out why im not allowed to make more.

$500,000 worth of work down the drain!

https://medium.com/@sgehrman/banned-for-life-c62f2404f66

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
this is the same guy who wrote path finder for os x

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

a repost but a drat good one because loving lol at this rear end in a top hat

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

quote:

The suspension email stated that I was trying to impersonate another company, and that this was forbidden. I had no intention of impersonating anyone. The apps description on the store had a clear disclaimer. The app itself had a easy to find disclaimer dialog. Anyone using my simplistic beta quality app would know instantly that this is not “official” and 100% of the apps content was pulled directly from YouTube including the icon. You could say my app was a minimal web browser that just reformatted the data using native Android widgets. I thought, if you can get the exact same info using a browser, what’s the difference? I thought I was safe...

What is an app? It’s just a container for content. Shouldn’t the app name inform the user of the content? One of my apps contained the channel id for Vice.com. Since the length of the app name is so limited I decided on “Vice TV” It was simple informative and it fit on screen just right. I didn’t think they would mind, I thought I was doing them a favor. Pointing people to their great content. It’s free advertising and I was in no way profiting from using this name. Users loved this app.

I own a software company. If a third party made a free fan app pointing to my products, I would be ecstatic! Who doesn’t want fans and free marketing?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a bit jealous of these guys

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

quote:

I thought I was innocent. I was accused of trying to impersonate another company and in my mind I was in no way trying to give that impression. If I misunderstood what impersonating means, well sorry I’m not a lawyer and don’t know exactly where the line is drawn.

quote:

100% of the apps content was pulled directly from YouTube including the icon. You could say my app was a minimal web browser that just reformatted the data using native Android widgets.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
all this fame and fortune

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

quote:

It’s free advertising and I was in no way profiting from using this name. Users loved this app.

~430 characters later~

quote:

I was also secretly hoping I would get a contract job out of this or someone might say, “Hey, add my blog and Facebook pages and I’ll buy the app from you.”

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

was going to make a scalping or fake air jordan or bootleg dvd edit but there isnt anything in the real world as stupid as what hes doing

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

voted 5 because i got to read this idiot's rambling denial of wrongdoing that ends up being a literal confession of wrongdoing

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

"all of these roms are provided for backup purposes only. i am not making any money off of these! if you like the game then buy it‼ if you are a federal agent google employee you have to leave now under the jurisdiction of president bill clinton!"

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

That is one overly long blog post, and with no pics.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it's a word-picture

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

so his excuse is the Vice TV app was for his kids.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

it's like reading an Xbox live ban appeal

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
wait, android actually curates its market place?

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

PleasureKevin posted:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Powercrazy posted:

wait, android actually curates its market place?

i think this guy is a google shill to try to perpetuate this idea

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

PleasureKevin posted:

so his excuse is the Vice TV app was for his kids.

yeah if there's one thing kids need it's access to drugged-up gonzo journalism

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Blackula69 posted:

yeah if there's one thing kids need it's access to drugged-up gonzo journalism

this but unironically

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the fact he got 800+ signatures on his petition really says something about the platform: https://www.change.org/petitions/sergey-brin-respect-the-efforts-of-small-and-indie-android-developers

I enjoy interacting with my customers directly, and am known to post updates hours or minutes after a bug is discovered by a customer... Android allows me to instantly update my app if a problem is reported.

then he can fix or take down his clearly infringing apps after two warnings.

So, I threw out my macs, smashed my iPhones, switched my whole family to Ubuntu and Android.

so apple made the rules crystal clear and he abandoned them. google has hosed his career and humiliated him, shouldn't he abandon them too?

People online talk of buying Google Play accounts from vendors in Europe.

better yet, he should just move to eastern europe. sounds like he has no problem putting his family in third-world conditions by making them use android and ubuntu.

In this new world of App stores, censorship and account termination, I feel like Borat.

oh great he'll assimilate easily.

My kid just a few weeks ago played some stupid game and I got a $29 bill.

do they really let you keep you buy apps after banning you from wallet and the store?

In this age of Google, it’s now “obey or face an instant lifetime ban.”

i think he can borrow a bitcoin disclaimer here: * instant after a few confirmations.

I also thought that these app bans were automated and once a human looked at my work it would be obvious what was going on. The app termination letters were not very clear in my opinion. If I thought a human at Google was giving me the warning, I might have listened more carefully... I assumed a human would be involved in any banning process and they would clearly see that I was not intending to fool anyone and that my apps were harmless.

he expects them to be human, but assumes they are robots. maybe they are robots that look like humans... cyborgs they're called???

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

really a waste of time quote mining it because it's all good

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

PleasureKevin posted:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i dont care about whatever but its sorta hosed up that they closed down every google service including gmail to him (and every related account he held as well iirc).

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like ok he doesn't get to make any more android apps or whatever who cares but he got every gmail account he ever made yanked w/o warning

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

its like if you make a bunch of lovely iphone apps then your macbook gets repo'd and you can't buy another one ever

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
or you crash your car into an orphanhe and then you're never allowed to bring candy to an orphanage ever again

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
this is pretty old, is there perhaps a more up-to-date account of him making his family miserable?

perhaps a blog post where he installs tux racer on to a child's computer

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

sgehrman commented on Jun 28
I've been trying for 4 months to get my Google Play account back, but I've been unsuccessful so far. I thought Google promised to not be evil? I've got a wife and kids dudes. Quit being lame. I need my account back and now resorting to spamming github to find a kind soul who will help.

naddafnaddaf closed this on Jun 28

Steve Gehrman
sgehrman commented 27 days ago
Sorry I asked. I should have known a hyper logical, authoritarian Google employee would never understand families and compassion.

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

okay this is pretty great

http://distantfutu.re/page/team.html

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
the best app was IAmRich.app

no other app will succeed it

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

rotor posted:

i dont care about whatever but its sorta hosed up that they closed down every google service including gmail to him (and every related account he held as well iirc).

i think it's hilarious.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:69snypa:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

focal ischemia posted:

i think it's hilarious.

this is America, I may not agree with what you think but I will defend to the death your right to think it

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
this is how i feel op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pnm1A-TRak

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

rotor posted:

this is America, I may not agree with what you think but I will defend to the death your right to think it

he involved his entire family in a nerd tantrum because he thought apple was too totalitarian. then google does something really totalitarian and he does the whole battered housewife thing.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
ive kept this in my profile since the last thread, god bless

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana
"Writing apps is a creative process just like painting or making a film."

cjs, confirm/deny?

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana

:yaycloud:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Don't they teach elementary stuff about trademarks in school around there?

• Locked thread