Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Whoops, my bad. I misheard, they're localizing it for PSP. Thought I heard something about a steam release, but I guess I was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Great Joe posted:

Just wanna reiterate this because you guys really are the best.

Meanwhile, I feel the need to reiterate that CF didn't actually have much to do when it comes to Trails First Chapter. :v: I still helped organize some things in a general fashion, way back when, and I helped debug it a little bit, but the lion's share of the praise should be heaped on Sara for working miracles. It's SC that contains the fruits of our labors and love.

And no, XSEED hasn't announced anything about a PC release of Brandish.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

SpaceDrake posted:

Meanwhile, I feel the need to reiterate that CF didn't actually have much to do when it comes to Trails First Chapter. :v: I still helped organize some things in a general fashion, way back when, and I helped debug it a little bit, but the lion's share of the praise should be heaped on Sara for working miracles. It's SC that contains the fruits of our labors and love.

And no, XSEED hasn't announced anything about a PC release of Brandish.

Okay, it's been bugging the hell out of me. Where the hell is your avatar from?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Take a wild guess.

(Trails in the Sky SC, unless you're talking about the text in which case probably the same but I obviously don't know for sure.)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

RadicalR posted:

Okay, it's been bugging the hell out of me. Where the hell is your avatar from?

The very game series we're talking about. :v:

(You won't see Joshua rocking the rad scarf until SC, though.)

The text actually doesn't show up in SC; it's more just a summation of Joshua's character arc during part of SC, combined with what is probably a joke in bad taste. :v:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So the PC version of Trails in the Sky is finally getting released in a few days? Sweet, day one purchase for me!

Trails in the Sky is the only game where I stopped following the LP in the SA LP subforum, simply because I wanted to play through it myself.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

One of the things I'd adding to the OP is a list of remix albums in the second post, complete with amazon/itunes links. I don't have the time or space to list all of them, though, so if there are any you specifically wanna see listed, now's the time to request them.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Sylphosaurus posted:

So the PC version of Trails in the Sky is finally getting released in a few days? Sweet, day one purchase for me!

Trails in the Sky is the only game where I stopped following the LP in the SA LP subforum, simply because I wanted to play through it myself.

Yep. Here's the Steam page for it.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Lance Streetman posted:

One of the things I'd adding to the OP is a list of remix albums in the second post, complete with amazon/itunes links. I don't have the time or space to list all of them, though, so if there are any you specifically wanna see listed, now's the time to request them.

I still remember the excitement and joy I felt that day I realized Falcom has been putting their stuff up on the Amazon MP3 store :allears:

Okay that was only a month or two back, but still.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Alright, finished most of the OP changes. Cut about half the screenshots, removed most of the embedded videos (these should help with loading the page), changed the order of the games so the Ys games are organized by release date, fixed dead links, changed some of the descriptions, included steam/PSN store links, added sections for Gurumin and Brandish, and included a bit about the nightmare that was updating Trails in the Sky's code. I'll add the remix album list in later.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Sylphosaurus posted:

Same here. The dialogue for the first few updates was so charming that I decided to stop following the LP.

From what I've heard, the keyboard and mouse control for the new version is quite good, and you can even play the whole game with a mouse.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
http://www.steamcardexchange.net/index.php?gamepage-appid-251150

The card images seem to have been data mined from somewhere.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Mokinokaro posted:

http://www.steamcardexchange.net/index.php?gamepage-appid-251150

The card images seem to have been data mined from somewhere.

Thirteen, Anime Cards! That's like 8 bucks.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm torn between wanting this game to succeed and wanting less people to buy it so I can make off like a bandit on those.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 28, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

I'm torn between wanting this game to succeed and wanting less people to buy it so I can make off like a bandit on those.
Even if nobody buys it you're gonna get a few bucks, tops. Only the poo poo literally nobody cares about makes you any kind of money in steam trading cards.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Justin_Brett posted:

I just want the game to succeed so XSEED can keep bringing over cool games. If your first thought on a game coming out is "I hope I can sell these cards for a lot of money," you might have a bit of a problem.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'll be purchasing a copy off both gog and steam since I already own the psp version. The dream of every Falcom game being localized must never end.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is this Trails in the Sky coming out on tomorrow the first chronological chapter or whatever? I've never played any of them (and the only Ys game I've played is Origin, and only with Yunica, if that matters at all).

Is it an RPG with a story, or a "story, more like justification for ruining monsters' days" a la Diablo or Ys I and II?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

There's a bunch of prior Legend of Heroes games but they share no plot relation with Trails (although every LoH game afterwards is related to Trails.)

It's also basically the opposite of Ys in that it's a very dialogue and story heavy game. Story owns if you're at all fond of JRPG stuff though.

e: If you expand the list of user tags for the game on Steam the fourth highest is Winter 2013 which makes me laugh.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 29, 2014

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

pyromance posted:

I just want the game to succeed so XSEED can keep bringing over cool games. If your first thought on a game coming out is "I hope I can sell these cards for a lot of money," you might have a bit of a problem.

Well, no, of course I want the game, I wasn't that serious about it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The story and worldbuilding are really good for a JRPG, but the gameplay's not bad either despite being somewhat typical.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ciaphas posted:

Is this Trails in the Sky coming out on tomorrow the first chronological chapter or whatever? I've never played any of them (and the only Ys game I've played is Origin, and only with Yunica, if that matters at all).

Is it an RPG with a story, or a "story, more like justification for ruining monsters' days" a la Diablo or Ys I and II?

It's a story-driven RPG, and the story is quite good in my opinion.

It is the first chapter in the series, with SC (second chapter) coming up end of this year I think. The 3rd game is not getting localized but it's more of a collection of post-epilogue side-stories, the first 2 games tell a whole story. None of the bullshit where us Gajin reached the end of the PSP port of FC, saw that :argh: cliffhanger and then lost all hope because SC wasn't getting localized.

e:f,b

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Omobono posted:

The 3rd game is not getting localized but it's more of a collection of post-epilogue side-stories

XSEED's hinted they have permission from Falcom, but it depends on how well the first two games sell if translating such a massive game is worth it. Seriously, the scripts of these games are larger than War and Peace.

Edit: \/ funny, I read differently. I heard it was a pretty standalone story that just leaves a few smaller plot threads for future games to build on.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 29, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the thing about the third, as I understand it (which is pretty well because I care way too much about this series) is that it basically exists to explore the setting to set up later games in the series, and thus leaves things really open-ended. unless they want to commit to localizing the rest of the series, SC is basically the last chance for them to jump ship since it's the only game that doesn't really leave loose ends.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Well that sounds great to me. For non-action games (read: most RPGs) I prefer being told a good story or about an interesting world over gameplay mechanics anyway.

Looking forward to tomorrow (at least tomorrow after work :smith:)

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Seriously, the scripts of these games are larger than War and Peace.

This isn't an exaggeration, BTW.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

How many Galt speeches is that?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

3606928 is about 50 galt speeches.

so about 10 per game.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
When do games show up on steam? I don't have to work till later tomorrow and it'd be nice to play a bit tonight...

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It says it'll be available in approx. ten hours on the steam page. So not until tomorrow morning.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The gameplay in Trails in the Sky is actually really good. Like it won't blow your mind or anything but the magic system is really fun to mess around with.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lance Streetman posted:

This isn't an exaggeration, BTW.

But is it art?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ImpAtom posted:

But is it art?

It's ambrosia.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

The gameplay in Trails in the Sky is actually really good. Like it won't blow your mind or anything but the magic system is really fun to mess around with.

yeah I agree with this, apparently SC adds a bunch more spells which is pretty cool

Also don't hoard CP to use your limit breaks on bosses. Battles are much better if you just use crafts semi-freely.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

But is it art?
Well I mean if Heavy Rain can be, sure.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I played a few hours of the psp version just to test the waters and I really enjoyed what I played of the battle system. Didn't get too far though cause I wanna play the definitive version of the game!:woop:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

yeah I agree with this, apparently SC adds a bunch more spells which is pretty cool

Specifically, it fleshes out the Space and Mirage sides of the equation and actually gives them some attack spells (including a very good Mirage one that may or may not be previewed in FC :3: ).

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

It also rebalances the spell costs. No more cheesing everything by spamming Earth Wall (unless you use the EP restoring items, or (new character)Kevin).

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The game just cannot come out soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Adding to the story talk, TitS has a very slowburner, or rather a very snowballing story, at least in FC, no idea about SC. The start is pretty small and slow (but still pretty neat), and it stays like that for a while, and then it gets bigger and bigger until the final chapter is really, really good and has about as much plot, if not more, as the previous chapters combined.

• Locked thread