Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Hey, thanks for the wonderful advice and pictures! Yeah haha, we're going to be doing the Berg Lake trail, and we're driving in, stopping at the first or second campsite, then doing the last ~20 km the second day (I think, I'm gonna be with two people who've done it before, but are terrible at explaining things). We're going to do the Snowbird Pass dayhike from there, and after seeing those pictures you've got me a lot lore pumped for this hike! I'll be sure to try and get lots of photos and do babby's first trip report here when I get back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The restrictions around Berg Lake are super bizarre, considering that other BC trails like Joffre Lakes offer a more dangerous endpoint (below a calving glacier!) yet they are currently making the entire trail wheelchair accessible (and knocking down hundreds of old growth fir in the process). :shrug:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Rime posted:

The restrictions around Berg Lake are super bizarre, considering that other BC trails like Joffre Lakes offer a more dangerous endpoint (below a calving glacier!) yet they are currently making the entire trail wheelchair accessible (and knocking down hundreds of old growth fir in the process). :shrug:

Realllllllllly goddamn

Like, part of me is all for making some areas as accessible as possible to encourage people to experience the outdoors and hopefully get them into caring about that kind of thing, but when it's at the expense of tearing up the wild in the process...blah

Oh well, I'm now 2 weeks out from my JMT trip (well, 2 weeks from my flight to San Francisco) so that's really all I can think about in my life at the moment woo

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Rime posted:

Hopefully that's just to Kinney Lake, anything beyond that would be hopeless because you have to cross a frequently flooded glacial washout plain, then really steep uphill, following cliffbands that have rockfall hazard, etc. They have been making Kinney Lake a major daytrip destination though.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
So I'm going to be going out looking for my first pair of good hiking boots tomorrow, what should I be looking for past what the OP has? Good brands, features to look for, etc. I'm willing to drop a decent bunch of change on em but not more then 300-350, ideally moreso around the 200 range if there's good options thereabouts. I know that footwear is often very particular to each individual, but yeah. I want a rugged but comfortable pair of boots that with full support (but not a REALLY heavy pair of all leather boots or w/e If it helps narrow down it down a bit). I'm a dude, 6'3", and about a size 11.5-13 depending on the footwear.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Mederlock posted:

So I'm going to be going out looking for my first pair of good hiking boots tomorrow, what should I be looking for past what the OP has? Good brands, features to look for, etc. I'm willing to drop a decent bunch of change on em but not more then 300-350, ideally moreso around the 200 range if there's good options thereabouts. I know that footwear is often very particular to each individual, but yeah. I want a rugged but comfortable pair of boots that with full support (but not a REALLY heavy pair of all leather boots or w/e If it helps narrow down it down a bit). I'm a dude, 6'3", and about a size 11.5-13 depending on the footwear.

Salewa Mountain Trainer

lime rind
Jul 10, 2014

Mederlock posted:

When I bought my hiking boots, there was a ramp setup in the store to test walking uphill and downhill. Hopefully you get a chance to use something like that as well. I don't have any comments on what to look for when going up hill, but going downhill, make sure your toes are not bumping into the front.

Wear the right socks for the boots. I think a thin liner under a thicker sock is normal.

Tie your boots correctly. You should be able to find some good techniques online if the salesperson is not able to help. My main points are making sure my heel is pressed all the way back and making a stronger hold where the ankle bends.

edit: This video seems good. The triple underhand is what I like doing.

lime rind fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 26, 2014

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Over a year ago I asked for hiking recommendations in eastern Pennsylvania. One of you suggested Ricketts Glen, said it would be terrific in summer, that the temperature inside the glens would feel 20° cooler than the ambient air. Whoever you are, you were a lying dog. The hike was something special, but it was hot and humid as gently caress, and if anything the waterfalls only made it more humid.

Oh well, have some pictures from my trip on Tuesday.

Crimson bee balm.

Sheldon Reynolds Falls.

A spiderweb caught my eye.

Harrison Wright Falls.

Sometimes wild and wooly trails are nice. Other times the bomb-proof CCC projects are pretty darn nice to have around.

Ganoga Falls.

I never knew it was possible to get burnt out on waterfalls, but by the time I got into Glen Leigh, I'd started taking token snaps and moving on downstream. I don't even know which fall this is.

Afterward I went on to do about three miles in Shawangunk Grasslands National Wildlife Refuge -- three miles of full sun exposure, in July, in New York. Not my best idea. But it was just enough of a taste to make me pine for the open plains.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Ah, teasel. Next time you see one, kill it.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Levitate posted:

Realllllllllly goddamn

Like, part of me is all for making some areas as accessible as possible to encourage people to experience the outdoors and hopefully get them into caring about that kind of thing, but when it's at the expense of tearing up the wild in the process...blah

Oh well, I'm now 2 weeks out from my JMT trip (well, 2 weeks from my flight to San Francisco) so that's really all I can think about in my life at the moment woo

Good luck out there. The PCT is on my bucket list.

Got a gear list available?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Next weekend my crew (my wife and her friend) are hiking pikes peak again. I am trying to convince them that we should start at 4am so we can hike up and back.

Do you think 4am is to late?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Tigren posted:

Good luck out there. The PCT is on my bucket list.

Got a gear list available?

This is pretty much it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aj29QTAXSoYbdE4yc2dISFBSVEpJU2xGTmxQaHdfaVE&usp=sharing

There's a few more minor things to add or delete but that weight also includes tent poles which I'll actually be having my wife carry and which drops my weight almost a pound. With a bear can (not included on my list but should be about 2 lbs for a Bearikade Weekender) my baseweight will be about 15 lbs. I haven't weighed out my food but I think it should be under 2 lbs per day so even after the largest resupply I should be just under 30 lbs total (I hope!)

If I was doing a lot of solo stuff I'd probably lighten up the tent and some of the cooking equipment. I"m pretty happy with my pack and sleeping arrangement for the most part

I'm going to use some Inov8 Roclite 295's for shoes, been doing some hikes this summer with them to get used to it. I like that it feels like I have extra room and my feet aren't constricted but I suspect my feet are going to be sore for the first few days. Then again, they usually are sore the first few days after starting a trip.

Putting together all my food and shipping it this weekend and then that's pretty much it

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Levitate posted:

This is pretty much it:

PCT is one of the first things I shall do when I retire. What are you wearing for pants?

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Feedbacker posted:

Ah, teasel. Next time you see one, kill it.

Dang it. Everything that seems neat at first turns out to be terrible.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ropes4u posted:

PCT is one of the first things I shall do when I retire. What are you wearing for pants?

Yeah I really want to do the PCT as well but I'll take the JMT for now

I'm not really packing dedicated pants. I have long underwear bottoms and wind pants if it gets cold but it's probably going to still be warm out there so it'll be shorts most of the time. My legs also don't usually get cold, so really my biggest worry is sunburn on them

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Levitate posted:

Yeah I really want to do the PCT as well but I'll take the JMT for now

I'm not really packing dedicated pants. I have long underwear bottoms and wind pants if it gets cold but it's probably going to still be warm out there so it'll be shorts most of the time. My legs also don't usually get cold, so really my biggest worry is sunburn on them

I am going to try gym shorts and warm up pants next weekend at pikes peak. I haven't found wind pants that don't make so much noise they drive me crazy yet

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Most thru hikers tend to just wear super short running shorts, or even no shorts/pants at all.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Anyone have recommendations on kayak pull carts? I found a garage spot for my kayak that's close to some beaches, but I'll probably need to take the boat about a quarter mile to get it in and that's a bit obnoxious if just carrying it.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Anyone have recommendations on kayak pull carts? I found a garage spot for my kayak that's close to some beaches, but I'll probably need to take the boat about a quarter mile to get it in and that's a bit obnoxious if just carrying it.

Make this cart yourself

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

BeefofAges posted:

Most thru hikers tend to just wear super short running shorts, or even no shorts/pants at all.

Uhhh, what? Explain this to me, why would thru hikers not wear pants?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Levitate posted:

:hfive: I fly out this Saturday. Impossible to focus on anything else. The excitement has been building all month but the last week or so, I've been getting some tinges of nervousness. Mainly nervous about the final stretch where we'll be going from MTR to Whitney to Crescent Meadow in SEKI via the High Sierra Trail in 14 days. I managed to pack ~3200 cal/day for 13 days into the volume of a Bearikade Expedition, hope that's enough. My base weight is 13 lbs and it looks like I'll be right around 40 lbs leaving MTR and lightening as we go. Gear List.

I'm going with gym shorts and a pair of 200 wt long underwear for pants. Also mainly worried about sun exposure. I figure I can always hike faster or climb in the tent if I get cold.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 26, 2014

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

MMD3 posted:

Uhhh, what? Explain this to me, why would thru hikers not wear pants?

I can't say there's any one reason, but generally it's for reasons of weight, ventilation, simplicity, and cheapness. I met very few AT thru hikers who wore pants or even long shorts. Skirts and kilts are also fairly popular.

It may be different on the PCT, but almost all photos I've seen of PCT thru hikers show them just wearing short shorts.

It's not like there's a rule that you have to wear certain clothes. You can do whatever you want.

http://www.appalachiantrials.com/spot-thru-hiker-media-gets-wrong/

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

BeefofAges posted:

I can't say there's any one reason, but generally it's for reasons of weight, ventilation, simplicity, and cheapness. I met very few AT thru hikers who wore pants or even long shorts. Skirts and kilts are also fairly popular.

It may be different on the PCT, but almost all photos I've seen of PCT thru hikers show them just wearing short shorts.

It's not like there's a rule that you have to wear certain clothes. You can do whatever you want.

http://www.appalachiantrials.com/spot-thru-hiker-media-gets-wrong/

Oh, when you said no shorts I was like... :what:

9axle
Sep 6, 2009

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Climbed up Mt. Rainier this past week. Fun time, though a lot of elevation gain (8,000 ft) from Paradise. There wasn't a cloud in the sky the entire week, so going up the Muir Snowfield was like trying to hike a snowcone. Wet, non-rigid slush for 6 hours and 4000'. Coming down wasn't much better, except you were on a much steeper slope.

One of the people who set me up with some good used gear and lots of good advice climbed Mt. Rainier on the 16th. Small world.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think a lot of guys on the AT use a kilt because it's so humid things start chafing and a kilt helps prevent that. At least that's the excuse I heard from people

Saint Fu posted:

:hfive: I fly out this Saturday. Impossible to focus on anything else. The excitement has been building all month but the last week or so, I've been getting some tinges of nervousness. Mainly nervous about the final stretch where we'll be going from MTR to Whitney to Crescent Meadow in SEKI via the High Sierra Trail in 14 days. I managed to pack ~3200 cal/day for 13 days into the volume of a Bearikade Expedition, hope that's enough. My base weight is 13 lbs and it looks like I'll be right around 40 lbs leaving MTR and lightening as we go. Gear List.

I'm going with gym shorts and a pair of 200 wt long underwear for pants. Also mainly worried about sun exposure. I figure I can always hike faster or climb in the tent if I get cold.

Awesome. I want to do the high Sierra trail but maybe another year...I'm hoping to get a bit off the beaten path on this trip here and there, maybe climb a few peaks in the evolution basin

I waffled on the wind pants but decided to get them because I didn't want to be diving into my tent every night as soon as possible if it's cool and windy. And they weigh less than 2 oz.

I'm interested in what the temps will be...if there will be any cold nights or if it's still a hot enough summer at that point that cold snaps will be unlikely. I did see someone say they summited Whitney a week or so ago and it was 20 degrees and windy up there

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Levitate posted:

Awesome. I want to do the high Sierra trail but maybe another year...I'm hoping to get a bit off the beaten path on this trip here and there, maybe climb a few peaks in the evolution basin

I waffled on the wind pants but decided to get them because I didn't want to be diving into my tent every night as soon as possible if it's cool and windy. And they weigh less than 2 oz.

I'm interested in what the temps will be...if there will be any cold nights or if it's still a hot enough summer at that point that cold snaps will be unlikely. I did see someone say they summited Whitney a week or so ago and it was 20 degrees and windy up there
What kind of wind pants do you have? 2oz is pretty light. I have a set of Driducks (jacket and pants) that I'm considering bringing but they're like 10+ oz combined. I figure they can be used for extra warmth if necessary. There's a group meeting me at Red's and going to MTR so I'll probably have them bring the set then I'll decide if I want to keep them or have the group take them out with them. They're also hilariously large fitting.

Regarding the temps, I did a summer in Yosemite on the trail crew with our camp at 8,000 ft. By the end of August it was probably in the mid-upper 30s in the morning but always heated up once the sun came up. So I'd say plan for cold nights and cold and windy passes/peaks.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Luke's Ultralite

Not the cheapest but he makes pretty nice stuff. I've honestly spent more money on gear poo poo in the past couple of years re-doing my backpacking stuff than I probably should have, but hey my wife got a well paying job in that time so I've had more money to spend on things I like doing. You've got some pretty nifty zpacks stuff in there, I'd be interested in hearing how that works for you.

I also mistook the High Sierra Trail you mentioned for the Sierra High Route, which is pretty different...but sounds really awesome and probably is what I'll plan to try sometime int he future if I do another trip in the Sierra's

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

Long story short: EVERYONE hike the Berg Lake Trail. It may be a pain in the rear end, but it's worth it.

I got very interested in this after seeing this post, and am thinking about doing it next summer. As a note, there is a greyhound that goes right to the park office and gets there in ~12 hours from the Vancouver area (you're going to end up there around 5 am, but for non-car havers like me this is pretty cool).

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Levitate posted:

Luke's Ultralite

Not the cheapest but he makes pretty nice stuff. I've honestly spent more money on gear poo poo in the past couple of years re-doing my backpacking stuff than I probably should have, but hey my wife got a well paying job in that time so I've had more money to spend on things I like doing. You've got some pretty nifty zpacks stuff in there, I'd be interested in hearing how that works for you.

I also mistook the High Sierra Trail you mentioned for the Sierra High Route, which is pretty different...but sounds really awesome and probably is what I'll plan to try sometime int he future if I do another trip in the Sierra's
Yeah, I ended up spending way too much as well but I justify it by saying that I'll be using it for years and years.

My uncle who lives in Mariposa, CA just informed me of an uncontrolled wildfire in El Portal / Foresta. It looks like Big Oak Flat Road is closed between El Portal Rd. and Hwy 120, current conditions here. If I recall correctly, you said you're starting out in Lyell Canyon? Were you going to take YARTS from the valley to Tuolumne? If so, you may need to look for other transportation options because the YARTS bus needs that road to get to Hwy 120 / Tioga Pass Rd.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I ended up getting a ride from the Valley to Tuolumne Meadows, and that's not for two weeks now so hopefully things will get under control...

e: jesus christ putting together a bunch of food is a bigger pain in the rear end than I thought :negative:

Levitate fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 28, 2014

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Went out on another adventure yesterday.

The bridge was out but we weren't headed that way anyway

Found a random parallelogram cut into 10 feet of rock.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I hiked Half Dome with some friends today. The cable climb was a little freaky, moreso because a ranger was strongly suggesting we not go due to the weather. But we made it, though it took forever to get down with a panicked climber stopping traffic for half an hour. The haze from that fire was unfortunate, all my photos sucked.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

If a ranger is telling you not to go, it's probably a good idea to not go. People get hit by lightning up there pretty often. That said, I'm glad everything went well.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

BeefofAges posted:

If a ranger is telling you not to go, it's probably a good idea to not go. People get hit by lightning up there pretty often. That said, I'm glad everything went well.

Yah gently caress those rangers they don't know poo poo. You sure showed him.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

n8r posted:

Yah gently caress those rangers they don't know poo poo. You sure showed him.

To quote a ranger at Camp Muir responding to a day hiker in shorts and sneakers asking if he could go farther up the mountain: "you can go, but you'll probably die".

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Uh, showing him up wasn't really my point. There weren't any t-storms in the area, at any rate, and lots of people were heading up and down.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Can anyone give me some advice on a good 2 day, 1 night hike in Washington state, or even northern Oregon? Going to stuck there next week and would love to hear some suggestions.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Tsyni posted:

Can anyone give me some advice on a good 2 day, 1 night hike in Washington state, or even northern Oregon? Going to stuck there next week and would love to hear some suggestions.

McNeil Pt on Mt Hood, my favorite summer hike

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Cheesemaster200 posted:

To quote a ranger at Camp Muir responding to a day hiker in shorts and sneakers asking if he could go farther up the mountain: "you can go, but you'll probably die".

I had a hilarious conversation w/ a Rainier ranger regarding people from Colorado and their need to do stupid poo poo that results in risking their lives on Rainier. Long running joke I guess.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Uh, showing him up wasn't really my point. There weren't any t-storms in the area, at any rate, and lots of people were heading up and down.

Other people doing it isn't exactly a great reason to disregard advice from experienced people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
The best running joke is trail running.

It was the perfect day for this:

Too bad I hosed up my knee. :argh:

krispykremessuck fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 30, 2014