Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
This guy that kinda looks like chic Abed is pretty cool

EDIT: AND THEY'RE TOTALLY GONNA DO ITTT OH SNAAAAAPPPP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
HOLY poo poo IT'S KRYCEK

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I thought the season finale of season 1 was pretty amazing, and season 2 was pretty great throughout. However, season 3 truly changes everything. Definitely do not think this series has hit its peak, but it's gradually going up in quality.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

savinhill posted:

Oh yeah, Utopia's the best. I hope Fincher is heavily involved with this hbo remake and is actually gonna do some new things with the concept & material, cuz otherwise, why even bother when the original is so drat good.

They should just dub every character over with American accents and say it's in America and photoshop the Statue of Liberty into the background.

Also I like that the original Utopia is a very colorful show where most conspiracy thriller type stuff I see, including Fincher's, is practically greyscale.

I do think more could be done with the core concept though and if they go in a radically different direction from the original I'll give it a shot.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
This is from the politics thread but you really must see it. It is literal drunk history in the making.

http://crooksandliars.com/2014/07/sarah-palins-oddball-speech-denver-sounds

muscles like this? posted:

No, they're doing this when re-airing the first season.
Huh that's super weird.

AMC.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Aahahha Krycek saw her use future tech I hope he becomes the Gladys Kravitz of the Continuum universe

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Ravane posted:

I thought the season finale of season 1 was pretty amazing, and season 2 was pretty great throughout. However, season 3 truly changes everything. Definitely do not think this series has hit its peak, but it's gradually going up in quality.

Yeah, the finale was pretty good. If the show can keep up this quality, I'll stick with it. But if it delves back into procedural crap, it's gonna be tough.

EDIT: Looking back on the season, it looks like the first 5 episodes were pretty decent and actually contributed something to the overall plot. and 9 and 10 were both good. It just hit a pretty bad rough patch from episodes 6-8 that was tough to get through.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 29, 2014

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I don't think I'll ever get tired of Fishing With John. The William Dafoe episode is especially majestic.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The series premiere of the WGN Manhattan Project show was pretty good; I think i'll DVR the season.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Just dropping in every 20-30 pages of the thread or so to remind everyone that they owe it to themselves to check out Longmire.

You're missing a good show along with Lou-Diamond Phillips' best acting in years.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Just dropping in every 20-30 pages of the thread or so to remind everyone that they owe it to themselves to check out Longmire.

You're missing a good show along with Lou-Diamond Phillips' best acting in years.

This man speaks the truth, Longmire owns.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Man, I appreciate The Leftovers more than I like it. It's getting hard to keep watching though. I get what the show is doing and I think it does it very well, but I'd like to see an episode where people are just fine. I understand the impact that something like would have on the world, and on the psyche, but there's also people who will turn out well adjusted and find a way to cope that doesn't involve them stoning a woman to death.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would appreciate an explanation on how it's doing anything 'very well' because I totally believe it could be the case but personally am incapable of seeing it as anything other than heavy-handed poorly-written crap.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

DrVenkman posted:

Man, I appreciate The Leftovers more than I like it. It's getting hard to keep watching though. I get what the show is doing and I think it does it very well, but I'd like to see an episode where people are just fine. I understand the impact that something like would have on the world, and on the psyche, but there's also people who will turn out well adjusted and find a way to cope that doesn't involve them stoning a woman to death.

Why do you appreciate it? The show is so dull and the stoning just felt cheap. It's not terrible or anything but I rather watch CSI or something.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Bown posted:

I would appreciate an explanation on how it's doing anything 'very well' because I totally believe it could be the case but personally am incapable of seeing it as anything other than heavy-handed poorly-written crap.

I think it works as an examination on how quickly people can turn to poo poo when their worldview is turned around in such an abrubt and violent way. It's an echo chamber of grief and lashing out that I think, for the most part, works. It's a show that's obstensibly about grief, and about remorse and about the unexplained and how those things can effect us. It's why I don't care if the event itself is ever answered, because it's not really about that, that's just the catalyst to get these people to that place. I saw someone in another thread say it might as well just be a about a train crash or something instead but it wouldn't work. It has to be something that's completely unexplainable.

I don't agree that it's poorly-written, but those types of arguments are best ended there because I don't think one person is going to change the mind of another on that front.

I get that it's a very polarising show and I can see why the people who don't like it don't like it. But for me you're either on the same wavelength as it or you're not. That's not to say anyone who isn't is wrong, it's just the way that some shows work.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 29, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's a good analysis, thanks. I'm beginning to think my issue with it largely involves how much it wallows in its own pessimism - Sopranos, for instance, is a very cynical show but also has many, many moments of levity per episode. Same with Mad Men, and The Wire has lots of funny scenes too. Leftovers has nothing like this and is just overly confrontational (much like the Guilty Remnant), which isn't personally something I enjoy, even though the overall concept is something I thought sounded super interesting (and for the record I've always been on the side of them never revealing why it happened).

Okay cool! I still think the dialogue is awful but as you said, nobody can really change another's mind on that, as I found out when I read my Hemlock Grove-liking friend a list of horrendous quotes from that show and he had a defence for almost every single one of them.

edit: even "Stupid-rear end birds!"

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Bown posted:

That's a good analysis, thanks. I'm beginning to think my issue with it largely involves how much it wallows in its own pessimism - Sopranos, for instance, is a very cynical show but also has many, many moments of levity per episode. Same with Mad Men, and The Wire has lots of funny scenes too. Leftovers has nothing like this and is just overly confrontational (much like the Guilty Remnant), which isn't personally something I enjoy, even though the overall concept is something I thought sounded super interesting (and for the record I've always been on the side of them never revealing why it happened).

Okay cool! I still think the dialogue is awful but as you said, nobody can really change another's mind on that, as I found out when I read my Hemlock Grove-liking friend a list of horrendous quotes from that show and he had a defence for almost every single one of them.

edit: even "Stupid-rear end birds!"

Script-wise. Tone is mightily important. You can make the argument that Hemlock Grove works as high camp. So stuff like "Stupid rear end Birds!" works, but only if you think the show is trading in that. As an aside I disliked Season 1 of that show a lot but Season 2 has been pretty great.

Oddly, the issue you have I have with Game of Thrones. As an adaptation I think it's a remarkable achievement, but more often than not the message seems to be "don't hope for anything because it'll just get taken away". Which you know is fine, but 4 seasons on it's like "Ok I get it now". I think GoT has allowed itself tiny moments of hope, but they're so few and far between that the overall tone can be exhausting.

My hope with The Leftovers is to drag these people through the mud and then bring them out of the other side. Even a small reward is meaningful when it's well earned, but I don't think that't the type of show that it is.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

DrVenkman posted:

Oddly, the issue you have I have with Game of Thrones. As an adaptation I think it's a remarkable achievement, but more often than not the message seems to be "don't hope for anything because it'll just get taken away". Which you know is fine, but 4 seasons on it's like "Ok I get it now". I think GoT has allowed itself tiny moments of hope, but they're so few and far between that the overall tone can be exhausting.
I think people exaggerate this, the triumphant escape of the fan favorite character, killing one of the big antagonists along the way wasn't what I'd call tiny.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ I agree with this. Game of Thrones at the very least has multiple moments per episode where characters are actually enjoying themselves. Leftovers is just people wandering around being moody.

An aside, but I made a thread for Masters of Sex season 2! And put a hyphen at the end of the thread title in service of a subtitle that I then totally forgot to put in, whoops: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654016

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 29, 2014

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
In general, how have the numbers been for F/X's summer fare of The Strain, Tyrant & The Bridge?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Lycus posted:

I think people exaggerate this, the triumphant escape of the fan favorite character, killing one of the big antagonists along the way wasn't what I'd call tiny.

To be fair I think I'm coloured by the fact I've read the books before hand. But say there's stuff like the Reek storyline for instance, that, while well performed, is just hard to appreciate on any level. I think scenes of misery have to serve a purpose otherwise it's just cheap. So in something like The Leftovers, I can see why it's there because it's show that's about that very thing (And grief, loss etc) and I expect it. But I think there can be a cheapness to something like torture or rape that gets tiring, and there's parts of GoT that rely on those moments too easily. But like I said, I think it's more to do with me not seperating those things from the books, that fall back on them more, than anything else (Plus, I really liked this season).

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

DrVenkman posted:

I get this from Walking Dead but not GoT. There's hope and it works out sometimes. The Night's Watch somehow managed to win a war against 100,000. People hoped that Tyrion would survive this season and he did. Look at Sansa. Almost everything has worked to her benefit this year. So much has gone right with Dany, it's actually boring. Arya's been in a bad state mentally but you never felt like her life was in any danger this year. Most of her scenes were lighthearted or humorous. With Walking Dead, it's non stop bad stuff happening all the time. It's hard to get invested in anyone because it always feels like anyone can die at any second. Since there isn't much humor or lighthearted moments, it gets very old. Feels like you're just waiting to see which character will die next.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Along with Bailey Chase just killing, Peter Weller popping up occasionally, Peter Stormare in an incredible guest role, Katee Sackhoff in the best acting she's ever done. It really is an amazing series.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I get this from Walking Dead but not GoT.

Totally agree. As much as GoT has a reputation for killing characters, at least the characters earn their demise and their deaths are very rarely completely out of the blue. TWD has killed off dozens of people and it's kind of embarrassing how many of the deaths boil down to "And then a surprise zombie appeared and bit him". There have been a handful of deaths that were well done and emotionally powerful, but the vast majority just felt like the showrunners crossing someone's name off so they can have less people for the next story arc.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

VDay posted:

Totally agree. As much as GoT has a reputation for killing characters, at least the characters earn their demise and their deaths are very rarely completely out of the blue.

I've never seen TWD, so I don't know how they are handled, but for the most part I absolutely love how GoT handles (most of) its character's "shocking" deaths. For one thing, those characters are well fleshed out and given some import in one of the overall story arcs. For another, GoT's deaths aren't predictable. They don't follow the standard fantasy tropes and characters don't have to be in the climax of their story for them to bite the dust. It's refreshing, and it makes the viewing experience tinge with a mix of excitement and dread.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Deaths being devoid of narrative point for the sake of shock is pretty stupid, lovely writing.

But it's also the gimmick that continues to sell GoT, so welp.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

Deaths being devoid of narrative point for the sake of shock is pretty stupid, lovely writing.

But it's also the gimmick that continues to sell GoT, so welp.

Hot take.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

ashpanash posted:

I've never seen TWD, so I don't know how they are handled, but for the most part I absolutely love how GoT handles (most of) its character's "shocking" deaths.

I think TWD's biggest problem is that it does the same thing a lot of action movies/TV shows do where the character's competence depends entirely on what the writers need them to do. So you get characters that have been shown to be incredibly capable zombie killers suddenly flounder and struggle to kill a single one because the writers wanted to have a suspenseful scene in the middle of an otherwise story-focused episode. Characters that have literally killed dozens, if not hundreds, of zombies with nothing but a tiny pocket knife will barely survive against two zombies who somehow surprise them in a forest during broad daylight. A character who wakes up completely surrounded by a giant swarm of zombies simply puts on some riot gear and runs through them all, because the show needs him to be somewhere else.

The end result is that a lot of scenes are completely robbed of any tension, because the characters' actions don't actually dictate what happens to them. It doesn't mean anything if they struggle or make mistakes, because we know that they'll make it out somehow if they're one of the main characters on the show, or trip and be eaten if they're some red shirt or don't actually matter to the plot.

In the show's defense, it's gotten better about setting up situations that are actually suspenseful and doesn't rely on 'Oh no the three most important characters in the show are stuck in this building I wonder if they'll make it out?!' quite as much as it used to.

VDay fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 29, 2014

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The Walking Dead is hamstrung by its focus on Rick Grimes. It's amazing how much the show improves when he's off-screen or unconscious or something.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Along with Bailey Chase just killing, Peter Weller popping up occasionally, Peter Stormare in an incredible guest role, Katee Sackhoff in the best acting she's ever done. It really is an amazing series.

There are a few things that bother me about that show but generally it is some very good "Justified with old people."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Big Bang Theory without the jokes

I know ripping on BBT is more than old hat these days but it's pretty funny how this is less than 90 seconds long

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

I know ripping on BBT is more than old hat these days but it's pretty funny how this is less than 90 seconds long

What's funny is that with maybe two more lines of dialogue, you'd have a pretty competent and well crafted short film.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

C2C - 2.0 posted:

This show was on one day, and I had heard good things so I tuned in to find a shirtless man in the desert being held up by a rope attached to a bar in his chest. Does it get weirder than that?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Today is Dumb Starbucks Day. I'm sooo excited about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFxsXF3DaeA

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mu Zeta posted:

Today is Dumb Starbucks Day. I'm sooo excited about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFxsXF3DaeA
Me too! I've been waiting so goddamn long to see this whole thing play out.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Bown posted:

Big Bang Theory without the jokes

Even at that length I barely got through it all.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just learned that AMC is making a comedy series set in Revolutionary America called "We Hate Paul Revere" about two guys who hate Paul Revere, with Ron Livingston cast as the titular Revere.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

I just learned that AMC is making a comedy series set in Revolutionary America called "We Hate Paul Revere" about two guys who hate Paul Revere, with Ron Livingston cast as the titular Revere.

Bullshit.

*googles*

Huh. How about that.

Gonna get crossover episodes with Turn?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fateo McMurray posted:

Bullshit.

*googles*

Huh. How about that.

Gonna get crossover episodes with Turn?
America's First Spy Ring That Hates Paul Revere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

America's First Spy Ring That Hates Paul Revere

Please keep up, its now called "Turn: Washington's Spies (Who Hate Paul Revere)"

• Locked thread