Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
OK this is a long shot but I need an Ethiopian place within delivery / walking distance of Holborn/Bloomsbury that does takeout.

Alps at 42 Theobalds Rd gets mixed reviews. Closed recently. Tables still set, pile of junk mail scattered on the floor at 7pm.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dcgrp
Jun 23, 2008
I'll be chaperoning a small group (8 ish) of american high school kids near the covent garden area. Any recommendations? They probably won't be interested in spending too much. They will probably be interested in food that is stereotypically British.

Xarr
Oct 20, 2008

dcgrp posted:

I'll be chaperoning a small group (8 ish) of american high school kids near the covent garden area. Any recommendations? They probably won't be interested in spending too much. They will probably be interested in food that is stereotypically British.

Canteen at the Royal Festival Hall, just across the river, easy 10 minute walk from Covent Garden. Good value British food, plenty of easy things for picky kids and the restaurant is beautifully designed. http://www.canteen.co.uk/

Dishoom in Covent Garden, nothing more British than a ruby, not usually what tourists think of and Dishoom don't exactly do the British classics but is all the better for that. http://www.dishoom.com/

Remember to book for either, 8 is a large group and everywhere is busy.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
I'm currently planning my brother's stag do and I'm trying to figure out a good place to eat, since he really likes his food. It's going to be a large-ish group of guys (still confirming numbers), so I was thinking any kind of BBQ/grill place would be perfect. Obviously it will need to be somewhere that we can book. I've been told Rodizio Rico is pretty amazing, any other recommendations?

Also this may be the wrong thread for it, but if anyone has any good suggestions for cocktail bars with areas that can be reserved, let me know! Ideally somewhere fairly central.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tytan posted:

I'm currently planning my brother's stag do and I'm trying to figure out a good place to eat, since he really likes his food. It's going to be a large-ish group of guys (still confirming numbers), so I was thinking any kind of BBQ/grill place would be perfect. Obviously it will need to be somewhere that we can book. I've been told Rodizio Rico is pretty amazing, any other recommendations?

Also this may be the wrong thread for it, but if anyone has any good suggestions for cocktail bars with areas that can be reserved, let me know! Ideally somewhere fairly central.

Rodizio Rico is very good, but expensive (~£25pp before drinks, and the drinks are pricey too). It's also a little bit fancy so I can't imagine they'd be super happy with a stag do.

Personally I'd recommend Bodean's. Downstairs is the Rib Room with larger tables, all the BBQ options you could want and a good selection of reasonably-priced drinks. They're probably better disposed towards a rowdy group too.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Was going to suggest Bodeans as well. Go to the Tower Hill branch.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Neris posted:

Was going to suggest Bodeans as well. Go to the Tower Hill branch.

Is that one better? I've only ever been to the Soho one.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

dcgrp posted:

Regent Street Tesco has a fantastic range of overpriced ready to eat pizza and the pavement right in front of the stairs down to Piccadilly Circus tube has a really nice atmosphere for eating and chilling in large or small groups.

Brand New Malaysian Wife fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 26, 2014

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop

The_Doctor posted:

Is that one better? I've only ever been to the Soho one.

If it's more special-occasiony, I prefer the interior, it's swankier.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
Bodean's looks perfect, thanks guys! I thought it wasn't bookable for some reason, but it looks like they do take bookings for parties of over 8 people, which would be fine for us. Guess I'll give them a call and confirm.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Tytan posted:

Bodean's looks perfect, thanks guys! I thought it wasn't bookable for some reason, but it looks like they do take bookings for parties of over 8 people, which would be fine for us. Guess I'll give them a call and confirm.

Yes, Bodean's is perfect for a stag do like that. Tower Hill one is a little nicer as Neris said, but might be a bit out of the way depending on where you're going to be drinking that night. The Soho one is just fine too, in that case.

Blaminator
Apr 16, 2007

"He seriously didn't go mech?"
Went to Koba near Charlotte Street today for a quick lunch. not bad at all but I seem to remember Kimchee in Holborn being better, but that was a few years so do maybe I can't remember it, only solution is to go back soon and compare!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Slightly different call. What's a good bakery in London? I want to buy a cheesecake for my other half's birthday ocming up in a couple of weeks.

There's these guys: http://englishcheesecake.com/choose-a-cake which all look very fancy, but in fact are all pre-made and frozen. I'd want to be able to look at the quality, and then pick it up myself which they don't do.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

Slightly different call. What's a good bakery in London? I want to buy a cheesecake for my other half's birthday ocming up in a couple of weeks.

There's these guys: http://englishcheesecake.com/choose-a-cake which all look very fancy, but in fact are all pre-made and frozen. I'd want to be able to look at the quality, and then pick it up myself which they don't do.

There's a stall on Whitecross Street which sells smallish baked cheesecakes - German bakery, maybe? I can't remember if I've actually had it or just thought it looked good. They do AMAZING bienenstich when the weather is cooler. AMAZING, I tell you.

Gail's stuff is good but pricey. Euphorium maybe?

Why don't you make one? I've a very good recipe and they are actually pretty straightforward.

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!
I had a long weekend in London and decided to eat some burgers and curries. Some impressions:

I don't really get all the love for MeatLiquor/Market (having eaten at Liquor 2 years ago and market 2 days ago). Taste-wise, the dead-hippie burger is merely good (fries and onion rings are above average also) but the ambience, aesthetic and general feel of the place is so off. I find the soho-style raunch and faux dirtiness (bloodstains on the menu) really offputting and not-at-all like the sort of place in America that would serve the type of Burger that they are trying so desperately hard to imitate. The too-loud and too-trendy music doesn't help matters at all. The burgers are also so incredibly greasy, and not in a good way. I also recently tried 5-guys which served a manageably greasy burger (fries there are poo poo though and the place is also ear-splittingly loud) but neither place compares to Byron's which actually serves burgers in proper buns which don't disintegrate immediately. The deep-fried sides there are all amazing as well and they have a good beer selection.

This weekend I also ate at the Painted Heron in Chelsea which in my opinion is the best Indian restaurant in London. Had the vegetarian platter, Clotted cream chicken tikka, strawberry curry (which is really interesting), crispy okra and prawn curry with Peshawari and Chilli Naan. Food here is consistently superb, since the first time I visited in 2011 I haven't had a bad meal. Service is always genuinely friendly here and quite unpretentious unlike some try-hard fancy indian places (like Rasoi or Amaya).

Cinnamon Kitchen near Liverpool St. was ok. Far better than a previous meal I had at Cinnamon Club in Westminster a few years ago which was terrible. Starters were delicious. My main, a Pakistani braised beef curry was great. Breads were really disappointing, a bit cold and limp.

We returned to Quilon near Victoria which was very good. The menu hadn't changed since we were last there in March. We had lentil crusted fish and dosa followed by spinach, mango curry, an aubergine dish with roasted baby aubergines and mashed smoked aubergine and an okra raita type yoghurt dish. The assorted chutneys at Quilon are really great.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Got an offer come through this morning for Sticky Fingers, Bill Wyman's place. Is it any cop?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The_Doctor posted:

Got an offer come through this morning for Sticky Fingers, Bill Wyman's place. Is it any cop?

Imagine if Hard Rock Cafe served actually good food, it's a bit like that.

Not the best burgers in town, but far from bad. The 1-lber sticky stack burger is worth a go if you're as greedy as me.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Hey guys, is Huy Fong brand Sriracha sauce hard to find in London? I was going to try to pick up a few bottles while I'm over there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

xcdude24 posted:

Hey guys, is Huy Fong brand Sriracha sauce hard to find in London? I was going to try to pick up a few bottles while I'm over there.

You can definitely pick up Sriracha, whether it's that particular brand though, I can't tell you.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Just get the other one, Flying goose? It's at least as good and you can get it big supermarkets or chinatown no probs

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
We went to Hakkasan (the Hanway Place one) last night and I have to seriously pimp it. The food is top-notch but they really nail all the other stuff that goes into eating out - excellent waiters, good layout that doesn't leave you bumping elbows with the neighbouring tables, excellent wine list that comfortably covers a range of budgets without being ridiculous. Although when we opened the menu and saw the specials page listing Peking duck with caviar for £215 and abalone for £330 we kinda skipped quickly to the back to find more reasonably priced stuff.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
Just wanted to say cheers on the Bodean's suggestion for the stag do. Turns out a bunch of the guys had been before but we had a great time, food was amazing and goddam was there a lot of it. Couple of the guys took away doggy bag, realised they didn't want to carry it around to the bars, and so gave it to a homeless dude - needless to say he was pretty happy.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Hey guys,do you know of a place where I could buy a stainless steel wok for reasonably cheap?

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
xposting from the England thread:

Where are some good places in London to get good craft brew? I'm here for 5 weeks for work and so far it seems like everyone just drinks peroni or amstel. I'm a big fan of the kernel brewery but it's hard to find it on draught in too many places. Any other good breweries to keep an eye out for? I'm staying and working in EC1, and would love a good daily drinker as well as a few places worth the trek to enjoy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

xcdude24 posted:

Hey guys,do you know of a place where I could buy a stainless steel wok for reasonably cheap?

Chinatown has several small supermarkets with cooking sections. New Loon Moon is the biggy there, with 3(?) floors.

If you're slightly more out of town, check out if there's a Wing Yip supermarket near you (Cricklewood, Croydon). They seem to supply the smaller supermarkets, so they are often cheaper, and they have a HUGE selection.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

E-Money posted:

xposting from the England thread:

Where are some good places in London to get good craft brew? I'm here for 5 weeks for work and so far it seems like everyone just drinks peroni or amstel. I'm a big fan of the kernel brewery but it's hard to find it on draught in too many places. Any other good breweries to keep an eye out for? I'm staying and working in EC1, and would love a good daily drinker as well as a few places worth the trek to enjoy.

There are enough beer nerds who are about to read this.
If you're in E1 then Brewdog Shoreditch is very close. I also like Indo near Whitechapel quite a bit.
A bit more of a trek: Camden Town Brewery, Crate, London Fields Brewery, Bricklayer's Arms (Putney), Southampton Arms (Kentish Town) etc. etc.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

sweek0 posted:

There are enough beer nerds who are about to read this.
If you're in E1 then Brewdog Shoreditch is very close. I also like Indo near Whitechapel quite a bit.
A bit more of a trek: Camden Town Brewery, Crate, London Fields Brewery, Bricklayer's Arms (Putney), Southampton Arms (Kentish Town) etc. etc.

Holborn whippet has a huge selection too

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
EC1 is Farringdon/Clerkenwell isn't it? There's a Craft Beer Co pub on Leather Lane.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
Thanks, this is all really helpful. My flat is on lambs passage and my office is on aldersgate down by the london museum so a lot of these are great to visit.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
The Old Red Cow and Ask for Janice are a pub and a bar on Long Lane in Farringdon that both have great selections of craft beers, both are a short walk from your flat.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

tentish klown posted:

The Old Red Cow and Ask for Janice are a pub and a bar on Long Lane in Farringdon that both have great selections of craft beers, both are a short walk from your flat.

Closed the old red cow down on Saturday night, made a bunch of friends, got into lots of trouble (and free pints) and had a good time. Will check out Ask for Janice!

E-Money fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 29, 2014

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
I'll always recommend the Black Heart in Camden (2 minutes from Camden Town tube), as it's a great pub with interesting beers and ciders. Bonus if you like rock/metal.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

There are 3 craft beer company bars within walking distance of where you are. Also the Euston Tap, that place started the current trend of craft bars in London.

Additionally, Harrild and Sons just near Farringdon and the Exmouth Arms on Exmouth Market are good beer places, part of BarWorks. The former will host a meet the brewer with Green Flash on Thursday.

Oh and if you want some brews to drink at home, I'll shamelessly plug BottleDog on Grays Inn Road. If you come in, say you read a recommendation on a forum. I'll say hi.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Kaiho posted:

There are 3 craft beer company bars within walking distance of where you are. Also the Euston Tap, that place started the current trend of craft bars in London.

Additionally, Harrild and Sons just near Farringdon and the Exmouth Arms on Exmouth Market are good beer places, part of BarWorks. The former will host a meet the brewer with Green Flash on Thursday.

Oh and if you want some brews to drink at home, I'll shamelessly plug BottleDog on Grays Inn Road. If you come in, say you read a recommendation on a forum. I'll say hi.

And now I put 2 and 2 together. I work in Farringdon - will find some sort of excuse to go say hi one of these days.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Kaiho posted:

Well drat, I wish I'd read this earlier, I was in tonight about 8 with my other half. I asked about the Stone smoked porter.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Well drat, I wish I'd read this earlier, I was in tonight about 8 with my other half. I asked about the Stone smoked porter.

My day off so you didn't miss me :)

powertoiletduck
Feb 19, 2004

dance dance dance
The Old Fountain near Old Street (EC1V 9NU) always has 2 or 3 Kernel beers on tap amongst its 15-20 draft beers. About a 5/10 minute walk from your flat. It's my local - great roof terrace when the weather is good.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

powertoiletduck posted:

The Old Fountain near Old Street (EC1V 9NU) always has 2 or 3 Kernel beers on tap amongst its 15-20 draft beers. About a 5/10 minute walk from your flat. It's my local - great roof terrace when the weather is good.

Then go across the road and eat in my bros place

powertoiletduck
Feb 19, 2004

dance dance dance

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Then go across the road and eat in my bros place

3 Crowns right? We went there on Sunday morning/midday about a month ago and we were told "we don't do brunch on Sundays". That being said - the roasts looked incredible with yorkshires the size of my head.

Have been there a few times for beers, they're doing a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jignx
Feb 17, 2006
~♥Bringer of Light♥~
My parents are coming to london for a vacation and I've been researching for places to eat and so far I've got Bodeans, Lemonia, Byron burgers and a few ramen places.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a family friendly places to eat where the crowd isn't that rowdy and the food is affordable for a family of four?