Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

The DFW metroplex is the second most influential sprawl in the CAS, second only to Atlanta. It's a metroplex nearly 10,000 square miles wide; the population is almost twice what it was forty years ago, swelling in 2035 with the Aztlan invasion. The city was already on the edge of breakdown, and the influx of refugees pushed the sprawl past its breaking point. Dallas has only regained its footing in the last twenty years, getting a handle on its problems to emerge as a cultural and economic leader in the CAS. Now it's sprinkled with policlubs and large AA companies, holding the city together, with immense international pressure from the AAAs to bring it into the grand year of 2072. But even with the population swell and political restructuring, there are only three AAA corporations with more than fifty thousand employees: Renraku, NeoNET, and Saeder-Krupp. The others are tryin' like hell to get a better foothold in the area, though, and in the mean time Dallas has single-handedly stolen the media scene from Atlanta. With music, television, and BTLs blowing up, along with the corporate influence, Dallas is on its way back from war-torn city to CAS economic bastion.

Aside from that usual boilerplate, Texas is the original 'outlaw country'[1] [2], a no-mans-land where the law is as good as the six-shooter on your hip. It's calmed down in the last two hundred years, sure, and Lone Star polices the main metroplex, keeping the AAAs safe, but you head down south to Waxahachie, all you've got is your reputation and your gun hand. The DFW sprawl also houses a pervasive but careful criminal element, from the anti-Aztlan Chavez drug cartels to the secretive Silver Blade Yakuza. Even so, the diminished AAA presence means most folk don't get into shadowrunning: there simply ain't enough work going around without the overbearing corporate influence. So down here, runners stick together: with less than a thousand of 'em across the entire city, everyone is connected through just a handful of fixers and burner phones. Don't let that throw you, though: the work is real, dangerous, and top-dollar. But runners don't make it in Dallas without dealing with the heavy stuff.

GAME FOCUS.

I just want to Shadowrun in my home state, and get my Texas[3] [4] [5] on. If it isn't clear, unlike my straight-laced Desert Wars game, this game is about criminal behavior. Double cross your employers and contacts on the way to the top. Break the law and try not to get caught. I'm looking for serious crimes with enough silliness to keep one foot firmly in the Shadowrun universe. Runs will range from high-risk protection gigs for famous BTL stars to running kilos for drug cartels to helping Ares get their foot in the door by robbing a Lone Star bank to get Knight Errant the contract. You're going to do shady poo poo, dodge the cops, and try not to get geeked along the way.

World Notes.

We're in Texas: guns are cheap and plentiful, while security and electronics can sometimes be harder to find. Even so, the Matrix ties the sprawl together, with heavy-hitters like Dell and Texas Instruments running their entire international empires from Dallas. There is, however, a solid strand of technophobia held over from the "good ol' days", and throwbacks are more common in Dallas than most parts of the world. Cyberware falls into the same boat: most of society accepts it s a necessary part of life, but you may still see a person in a wheel-chair, refusing to give into technology. Technomancers are feared, but more like you'd fear a wolf or a bear than a bogeymen demon in the night. They're dangerous, but care and respect will get you a long way.

Magicians, on the other hand, are blowing up, between the strong Technocratic Party and the Illuminates of the New Dawn, trying to shine the light of magic on civilization. Most mages the public know are highly-ranked political figures, and the rest are corporate sell-outs. There's a registration system in place for practicing magic users, but the law isn't well-enforced outside of upscale buildings, and criminally-inclined mages typically stay off the grid.

CHARACTER CREATION.

I'm looking for 4-6 players to play Dallas-based runners for good crimes and fun times. I tend to favor characters that might be real people, with friends and hobbies outside of committing serious crimes. Maybe you're a musician doing side work for the thrill, or a mage ganger running jobs to move out of the slum while running huge shipments of novacoke for a major crime syndicate.

For comments or clarifications, you can post here or find me on SynIRC's #shadowrun.

Play Material.

We'll be using the rules from SR5E Core, Run & Gun, and the Street Grimoire, with some rules corrections for odds and ends (like machine gun recoil, running silent, etc).

Make a character using the standard Shadowrun character rules. There are a few exceptions and notes, however:

- I'm going to say that Resources E is 20,000, to help out people trying to dump-stat it.
- We're in Texas. Guns cost 60%50% of the listed price. With the exception of Machine Guns, Cannons, and Launchers (heavy weapon stuff), Forbidden weapons are Restricted, Restricted weapons are fine to own. (This price reduction applies to all weapons, regardless of legality, along with accessories and ammo.)
- Tell me about why you're in Texas: who do you know, why do you keep running Dallas, and do you have a day job? Are you involved with a corporation, with the media scene, or with something else entirely?
- Quickening at Chargen: (mages only) I have decided that for quickening, we'll treat it like summoning. You have to spend the karma to initiate, and then you may spend karma up to your Mayic on a quickened spell, i.e., if your Mayic is 6, you can have no quickened spell at more than Force 6, at the rate of 1 karma per force. You may have no more than 3x[Magic] total force of quickened spells.

Contacts.

Everyone mark the following contacts, which don't count toward your Contacts point:

Texas Yellow, Connection 5, Loyalty 2
A shady figure who runs the Sage In Bloom, a local Dixie bar. In the back room, though, he's a fixer, acting as a middle-man between people looking to hire runners and the runner community.

Theo Trainer, Connection 6, Loyalty 1
An above-board fixer who sometimes hires people from the runner community for 'straight work', including protecting pop icons and ensuring things run smoothly for political candidates.

HOUSE RULES.

- Running Silent will be modified to be less terrible to deckers. The rules are going to work as follows: you make a Matrix Perception check, and your hits reveal any PANs in the area (and their devices) that have DR less than or equal to your hits. Any PANs over it show up, but just as glowy masses, but if you get a mark on one the PAN lights up, and you can use your spatial awareness in the obvious ways.
- I am debating the 'lethal decker' rules I'm using in my DW game.
- Machine Gun recoil won't be doubled.
- Magical Burnout costs 'what it would have been': if you dropped from 4 to 1 Magic due to essence loss, it costs you 25 Karma to go from 1 to 2.
- I'm open to porting over gear from 4E, just ask.
- Obviously no chunky salsa
- The Errata is in effect.

I'm willing to hear out any other suggestions.

CUSTOM GEAR.

Shock Lock Bullets: These slugs are made of a ceramic and metal composite designed to fragment and disintegrate upon impact. Shock lock rounds are designed to shatter a door’s lock or hinge and pierce the armor against Barriers when used to destroy them. Against other targets, treat shock lock rounds as standard explosive rounds.
Standard: Dmg Mod +1, AP -1, Avail 11F, 100¥ / 10; Barriers: Dmg Mod +1, AP -5, Avail 11F (11R in Texas), 100¥ per 10

Inline Skates: Equipped with smart wheels for improved road-holding, power flywheels for momentum conservation, these high-tech skates can get you almost everywhere. Inline skates increase the character’s Walking or Running Movement rate by one half (round up). At the gamemaster’s discretion, difficult situations or terrain may require an Agility+Reaction Test for the character to stay on his feet.
Avail -, 100¥

Ares Sierra: This is a refinement of the Ares Alpha designed for law enforcement and crowd control, usually loaded with non-lethal rounds. It features melee hardening, an underbarrel stun baton, integral smartgun, and the Alpha’s chambering design.
Acc 5 (7), Dmg 11P / –2 AP, SA / BF / FA. RC 2, 42 ( c ), Avail 12F (12R in Texas), 2,950¥
+ Stun Baton: Acc 4, Dmg 8S( e ) / -5 AP, Reach 0

APPS THUS FAR.

Combat.
Mia Fuentes, Elven Ganger (Monofilament Sammy), played by KittyEmpress.
Alfred Nobel, Troll Wageslave (Adept Swordsman), played by Thanatosian
The Birdman, Hard-Boiled PI (Fighter/BnE), played by Lazy Bear
Snowstorm, Human Cokehead (Gunslinger Adept), played by Manic_Misanthrope
Tommy Brown, Elf Murder-Decker, played by Mandozer
Kenneth, Texas Ranger (Sammy), played by malikial

Face/Rigger/Tech/Support.
Chris "Double Tap" Johnson, Human Mr. Lucky (Face/Pistoleer), played by ProfessorCirno
Ah-Ri-Yung "Sparrow" Han, Human Spellrigger (Mage/Rigger), played by Atlatl
Redeye, Human Smuggler (Face/Wheelman), played by LTR
Cat, Elf Con Artist (Face), played by CaptainCarrot
Scott “The Dad” Wilson, Human Office Worker (Decker), played by Mr Tastee
Jake "Hardline" Franklin, Human Beanpole (Decker), played by Yamtaggler

Mages.
Jack "All-Trades" Harris, Human Shamam (Mage), played by Oo Koo
Gabriel De Los Santos, Elf Ganger Wizard (Mage), played by Arkangelus
Marcina Montgomery, Elf Rich Kid (Mage), played by Ronwayne

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Rigger incoming.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Registering interest!

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Couple of questions?

Since it's so GM dependent, what can I expect from you and this particular game if I make a character with SINner, Corporate Limited? Since you specifically asked for characters with more ties to the setting than a typical murderhobo, I'm thinking of making a character with an active career as a loyal corporate troubleshooter/agent, sort of an in-house runner to keep an eye out for the corporate interests in the shadows. Can you suggest a good corporation to work for, that fits with your plans for the game?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I'll submit a character but only if the Dallas Cowboys still exist.

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

My brother gave me half of a rock and told me to wait for you in the woods...
As a Texan and a fan of the Shadowrun setting, I am super interested in this game. I'll see if I can't get ahold of the book and rustle up a character.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Now that my summer school classes are all done and fall is looking like an easy semester, I'll likely be submitting something. Have some ideas, just need to see what works in character creation.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
As a clarification of the 'no murderhobos' comment: I don't want you to not make a Shadowrunner. Feel free to play a criminal, gang member, corporate sellout, or whatever you'd like. But even Shadowrunners have friends and hobbies, right?

Oo Koo posted:

Couple of questions?

Since it's so GM dependent, what can I expect from you and this particular game if I make a character with SINner, Corporate Limited? Since you specifically asked for characters with more ties to the setting than a typical murderhobo, I'm thinking of making a character with an active career as a loyal corporate troubleshooter/agent, sort of an in-house runner to keep an eye out for the corporate interests in the shadows. Can you suggest a good corporation to work for, that fits with your plans for the game?

I've seen Limited SINners played out a few ways with great success, and I'd be willing to entertain this direction, but you should know that it may cause some strife withing the party if they find out (which might be fun). Any of the smaller AAAs in the setting will be easier to fit in, so I think Evo, Horizon, or Mitsuhama will fit really well.

CirclMastr posted:

I'll submit a character but only if the Dallas Cowboys still exist.

Football is still around, so I'm sure they do.

Yamtaggler posted:

As a Texan and a fan of the Shadowrun setting, I am super interested in this game. I'll see if I can't get ahold of the book and rustle up a character.

If you need help with chargen, join us on SynIRC's #shadowrun.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
Gonna app some kind of large and in charge muscle-samurai or similar.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Will be my first time making a 5e Character. Was thinking on doing a Phys-Adept, or maybe a medic

e: how do i make resources E not suck in Chummer5?

Manic_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 29, 2014

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Heh, I was in the midsts of rolling up a troll Phys Adept. :P

Having not played 5e before... from reading it, it seems wired reflexes (or the magic version) are toned down a bit, but still pretty much mandatory to be taken seriously as a physical combatant; is that the case?

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Thanatosian posted:

Heh, I was in the midsts of rolling up a troll Phys Adept. :P

Having not played 5e before... from reading it, it seems wired reflexes (or the magic version) are toned down a bit, but still pretty much mandatory to be taken seriously as a physical combatant; is that the case?

Your options for initative are wired reflexes, synaptic boosters, increased reflexes, Jazz or Kamikaze addiction, or spending one point of edge per combat turn to keep your initiative up. But if you plan on physical conflicts, you'll probably need to do one of them to be competitive.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 29, 2014

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

All these adepts, perhaps a face is in order instead (really I need to find character art first :argh:)

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Majuju posted:

All these adepts, perhaps a face is in order instead (really I need to find character art first :argh:)

It's not my fault that the first thing that comes to mind when people suggest Shadowrun is Brock Lesnar F-5ing Elves off a skyscraper :colbert:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Oo Koo posted:

Couple of questions?

I was going to make my character a wageslave for a corp who actually does his runs without corporate knowledge. I'm not terribly picky about the corp; want to be roommates?

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

It's not my fault that the first thing that comes to mind when people suggest Shadowrun is Brock Lesnar F-5ing Elves off a skyscraper :colbert:

For me it's an ork with cyber-arms blasting apart a hellhound with a smartlinked assault cannon, but that's my own problem I guess.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Majuju posted:

For me it's an ork with cyber-arms blasting apart a hellhound with a smartlinked assault cannon, but that's my own problem I guess.

Our mohawks could not be pinker if we tried, huh?

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
I'm now adding 'top of skyscraper' to the list of fight scenes for this campaign and 'hellhounds' as an enemy.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Majuju posted:

Troll poking out the sunroof of an SUV (because it's the only way he'll fit) shooting a rocket launcher at a helicopter during a high-speed pursuit on the way out of a "milk run."

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm feeling real nostalgic for Texas lately, so my interest is piqued. Going to see about a Technomancer or something, we'll see.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
As a Dallas resident recently returned after a few years in the wastelands of Austin*, I couldn't possibly say no.
(Also, fluff wise, i'm pretty astounded Ares isn't there, especially when we have Haliburton here in RL)

*(Shaddup, the latter has changed completely in the last few years)

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 30, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Ares is mostly kept at bay due to the immense pressure from Lone Star and the SK to keep them out. Knight Errant can't get a foothold, either, because of the city-wide Lone Star enforcement.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
I plan on trying to piece together an Ork private eye, classic Noir style. Don't worry, he'll feel like a real person, just with a century-plus outdated style.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Lazy Bear posted:

I plan on trying to piece together an Ork private eye, classic Noir style. Don't worry, he'll feel like a real person, just with a century-plus outdated style.

:allears: that sounds amazing

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Registering interest, god help me. I'll try not to flake out of this game :negative:

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Majuju posted:

Planning to pull out an elven face I used for a campaign back in April, so that's covered.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Registering interest, will post a street samurai most likely or break my usual mold with something else.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I will make a dude, I will get my cyber-texas on.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Questions and comments on my submission welcome. I've only got 5eCore right now, but thinking about picking up the others. If I do I may fiddle with things a little.

Redeye
Human Smuggler

Smuggling is never like the trids. There's no hot chick needing their grandparents transported out of a tropical dictatorship, no revolutionaries needing guns smuggled in for their noble revolution. Very few high speed chases. If you end up being chased, you lose almost every time. The trick is not to be caught in the first place.

Seattle was a bust. It had been a good five year run, but just like Tokyo, good things always come to an end. After all the guns, people and boxes of unknown goods he had moved through the border crossings in Seattle, it ended up being slabs of beef that ended Redeye's run. It was even legal beef, but the government always wants its cut and $50k worth of prime organic Salish beef without the proper UCAS stamps was enough to send him to prison. Everything would have been fine, but the wrong guards were at the crossing. Redeye had checked every day for two weeks, even crossed the border a few times to test things out but these other guys were thorough with their search. One year for smuggling beef. At least it wasn't guns, that would have been an easy five to ten, if not more.

Riding the bus away from prison and into the city, Redeye starts going over his options. The T-Bird routes were out, he was a city boy and hated the four months he had spent at tiny smuggler bases and blazing across the desert 50 feet off the ground. Going back to Japan was also out, it had only been five years since he had to dump a load of cutting edge tech into Tokyo Bay, someone would surely remember if he went back now. Maybe Xavier would have some options for him.

Walking into the noodle house, he heads straight for the kitchen and down the stairs to his fixer's office.

Frowning, Xavier points to a chair, "Sit. I don't know how they caught you, but they did. I know what you're here for, one of those things I can do, it's your property after all, the other I can't. Word on the street is that your picture is still up at the border crossings and I went by your apartment, it's not yours anymore, don’t know what happened to your stuff. You could sit around washing dishes for another 6 months until things maybe cool down, or I have a friend somewhere else looking for skilled people."

Writing a name and number on a piece of paper, "Here's his info. Head to Dallas and give him a call." Oh yeah, and here's your key and something extra to hold you over." Fishing in a drawer, Xavier removes a single brass key with a tag labeled 27 and five well-worn 20 nuyen notes. "It's all I can do for you right now."

Leaving the noodle house, Redeye catches a cab to a storage facility in a middle class neighborhood. Hopefully the feds didn't find this one. They shouldn't have, it's clean as can be. Paid for with a fresh ID in advance for 7 years. He had not even been here since he filled it four years ago. Unlocking the door and rolling it up, everything was as he left it but with a thin layer of dust over it. There was not much, but it would do. In one corner sat a backpack, opening it the money, pistol and two clean IDs were still inside. A jacket hung on a peg, and under the big tarp, filling most of the room was a shiny motorcycle.

With nothing left in Seattle there was no reason to stay. Typical of border crossings, the UCAS agents didn't even look at him as he left the country, they only cared about what was coming in. The Salish were more thorough but his picture was not pasted in their office and they seemed to care little more than to scan his ID.

Spending the next two weeks traversing Indian country and the CAS, in the process burning his last two IDs, Redeye finally arrives in sprawling Dallas. Dialing the number and asking for Texas Yellow, he introduces himself vaguely. The reply was much less vague, "Where ya been chummer? Decide to spend some more time in the lockup on the way here? Anyways, get down here and lets get you sorted." After a couple hours of info dump about the scene in Dallas and about his skills, Yellow sends him on his way with a promise of a job real soon.

pre:
Name: Andrew Inoue
Streetname: Redeye
Human Smuggler
Height: 5’9”
Age 27

A – attributes 24  B – skills 36/5  C—resources 140k  D – Human (3)  E – No Magic

Body  4      (3)	Initiative 13+2d6
Agi   5(7)   (4)	Essence 2.9
Rea   6(9)   (5)	Limits:
Str   2      (1)	   Mental 5
Wil   3      (2)	   Physical 5
Log   3      (2)  	   Social 6
INT   4      (3)	Condition Boxes
CHA   5      (4)	   Physical 10
EDG   5			   Stun 10

Qualities:
First Impression
Quick Healer

Skills:
Automatics 2           Pool:9
Pistols 5              Pool:12
Perception 5           Pool:9
Sneaking 4             Pool:11
Automotive Mechanic 2  Pool:5
Armorer 2              Pool:5
Gunnery 3              Pool:10
Navigation 3           Pool:7
Pilot Groundcraft 4    Pool:13
Pilot Aircraft 2       Pool:11
Con 4                  Pool:9
Influence group 3
   Etiquette 3         Pool:8
   Leadership 3        Pool:8
   Negotiation 3       Pool:8
Athletics Group 2
    Gymnastics 2       Pool:9
    Running 2          Pool:4
    Swimming 2         Pool:4

Knowledge Skills:
Japanese N
English 4                      Pool:8
Smuggler routes 2              Pool:6
Action Trids 2                 Pool:6
Border crossing procedures 3   Pool:7
Street Knowledge: Seattle 2    Pool:6
Street Knowledge: Dallas 1     Pool:5

Gear: 153700 of 154000(140k+14k Karma)

Ares Predator V   435Y (Texas discount)
     Concealable Holster 90Y
     3 spare clip 15Y
     100 regular ammo 120Y
     50 Gel  75Y
Armor Jacket 1000Y
Sony Emperor 700Y
     Subvocal Mic  50Y
     Dallas Mapsoft 100Y
Rating 3 Fake SIN 7500Y
Suzuki Mirage 8500Y
Rating 3 Contact Lenses  600Y
     Low Light Vision [1]  500Y
     Image Link [1]   25Y
     Smartlink [1]   2000Y

(Cyberware) Data Jack .1 Essence 1000Y 
(Cyberware)Wired Reflexes 1 2 Essence  39000Y
(Cyberware) Reaction Enhancer 2  .6 Essence 26000Y
(Bioware) Muscle toner 2  .4 Essence 64000

Low Lifestyle 1 month 1800Y
   Cramped -200
Cash 490Y
pre:
First Impression -11
Quick Healer -3
Karma to cash  -7 (14,000Y)
Karma Remaining 4
pre:
Contacts
Xavier: Connections 3/Loyalty 2 Fixer(Seattle)
Like any immigrant, Xavier does what he must to get by.  His 
front is a noodle house, but for those who know his real 
business, the basement provides anything a runner would need.

Doctor Huw: Connections 3/Loyalty 1 (Street Doc)
He’ll patch you up, providing you have cash, goods or used 
cyberware to pay.

Kermit: Connections 1/Loyalty 1 (Ganger) 
Part of the local gang that provides protection around Redeye’s 
apartment.  May know what is going on in the neighborhood or may
just be looking for a few extra bucks to spend on drugs.  Got 
his name because he kind of looks like a character on an old 
children’s show

Nail: Connections 3/Loyalty 1 (Bar Owner)
Ork who owns a dive bar in Redeye’s neighborhood.  The bar doesn't 
even have a name, just a sign saying "Bar" outside a plain security 
door.  Rumor is Nail was a runner back in the day and doesn’t tolerate 
any gang activity in his establishment.  The gangers believe the 
rumors enough to leave him alone.  His bar caters to mostly working
class locals butanyone is welcome as long as they don’t bring trouble.

A shady figure who runs the Sage In Bloom, a local Dixie bar. In 
the back room, though, he's a fixer, acting as a middle-man between
people looking to hire runners and the runner community.

An above-board fixer who sometimes hires people from the runner 
community for 'straight work', including protecting pop icons and 
ensuring things run smoothly for political candidates.

ltr fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 31, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Registering interest!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Picture Incoming Soon(TM)

Mia Fuentes, Elven Ganger

Born and abandoned at church steps, Mia never got anything besides her name from her real family. She was raised by Padre Julio and the rest of the Lost Lamb church, a small church maintained in the poor neighborhood. It wasn't a quiet existence - it got its name for its policy of accepting any children who couldn't be cared for, and Mia was one of two dozen. It was loud, it smelled bad, and for Mia it was the only home she wanted.

She never went to school or hung out with friends, she didn't even have a commlink for the longest time. But she had her brothers and sisters, and they were close - the oldest ones always seemed to have some new toys for the younger kids, or some makeup for the teens. It was just how it was. It was a good life for them. The Padre taught them to read and write, and the especially bright kids even got tutored by some of the older members of the church - Mia never tried for that, but it was an option for her. So she was happy.

On her thirteenth new years, she and the other kids her age were gathered together and the truth was revealed - the church was actually the base for the Santas, an all hispanic gang out to protect the hispanic population of Dallas. Each and every teen was offered entry, and each and every one accepted. It was, after all, family. Mia... she wasn't much good at anything - she wasn't the smartest or the strongest. She was quick, but always claimed that guns felt off, and refused to use them. It was a year into her training that she discovered her whip.

The gang was big on weapon trafficking - and she was pretty good at sneaking in to get a peak at anything they had. And she hit the jackpot on that one - taking a whip from the stores, she went out to 'play'. Nearly took off her arm in that incident, but instead of scaring her straight, she was amazed, and happy. Sure, the Padre said she'd die if she tried to use it, but so what? It was right.

For five years past that point, she ran with the family. She became known for a combination of her whip and skates - a merciless woman who would rip apart anyone who'd hurt her family, skating happily along as she did so. Even she doesn't know why, but eventually she took her earnings and went to a local chopshop - gone was her middle finger, a compartment installed to hold her whip. She told the Padre that day - she was going to start Running, to help the church and the kids there. She'd always be there for her family, but she needed to live her own life.

In the months since, she's gotten set up for her new life - a new identity, an actual house, and some 'armor' that ate up her entire life savings. Investments for the future.

The Santas

Literally, the Saints, the Santas are a hispanic-first gang operating out of the poorest sections of the Dallas area. Under a cover of being a church organization giving 'donations' to the needy of the area, Padre Julio founded the Santas to take from those who have too much, and provide for those in his 'flock'. The original members were all close friends of the Padre and similarly devout, but in the twenty years since its founding, its 'recruits' have mostly been children taken into the care of the church.

Incredibly tightknit, every member is considered to be a true family - they are all brothers and sisters. To cause harm to your brother or sister is to truly fail as a person - the one thing they are strict on. If you intentionally kill a brother or sister, you are inviting for whoever is most important to you to be taken and killed, one by one. If you accidentally bring harm on them and refuse to accept fault, then you will be made to match their pain.

Despite, or perhaps because, of this fact, the Santas are a widely happy group. Internal disputes are rare. The Padre learns much, and is said to have ears in every bit of business in the city - the Santas themselves deal in everything from drugs to weapons, and a mix of legal and illegal sources keep them well informed.

Contacts

Maria Caldero: The Santas' drug specialist, her bit of the land under the church is known to make everything someone might want to put in their body for a high. A friend of Mia growing up in the church, she constantly shows concern that Mia is 'a stupid loving puta' who is going to get herself killed. Connections 2, Loyalty 4.

Antonio Almada: This 50 something year old ork is one of the few members of the Santas not raised by the Padre. He's not particularly strong, or smart, nor is he a leader. He doesn't know everything in the world either. But he's the friendliest guy in the gang, and is the one who teaches most of the kids how to read and write. Connections 1, Loyalty 5

Mario Beltran: The bruiser. Mario heads up the strong arm group of the Santas. A troll, he's used to discrimination, both towards his culture and his metatype. And he never moved past it. Instead, he funneled it into a fine tuned rage. If you ever need someone to rip a door off a safe, Mario's who to call. Him and Mia have always been on shakey grounds, despite being the same age, and taken under the Padre's care at the same time - her being an elf meant everyone treated her as better than him, and he resents it. Connections 2, Loyalty 3.

Sara Luna: Sara, a dwarf, never went to school, but no one should ever remind her of that. Her operating table under the church has saved dozens of Santas, and she's always willing to open shop, no matter the time. Just... don't expect pain killers, she doesn't keep those. She's of the opinion that Mia is literally the dumbest person, to go try and make a living in the shadows, and their relations are a bit strained - for Sisters at least. Connections 4, Loyalty 3

pre:
Metatype. Elf

Attributes.
Bod 5
Agi 7
Rea 5 (6)
Str 3
Cha 4
Int 2
Log 2
Wil 3
EDG 2

CM (P/S/O): 0/0/0
Limits (P/M/S): 6/3/5
Initiative: 8 + 2d6
Essence: 3.90

Qualities
Agile Defender
Low-Light Vision
Dependent (Nuisance) - Gang

Skills.

Animal Handling 3
Con 6
Diving 2
Escape Artist 4
Etiquette 2
First Aid 2
Free-Fall 1
Intimidation 4
Leadership 4
Negotiation 5
Perception 6
Pilot Ground Craft 1
Exotic Melee Weapon (Monafilament Whip) 6

Groups

Athletics 6 (Gymnastics, Running, Swimming)
Stealth 4 (Disguise, Palming, Sneaking)

Knowledge / Language

Spanish (Language) 6
Area Knowledge: Dallas (Street) 2

Gear – 146,275 / 150,000

Medium Lifestyle – 5 Months – 27,500

Mortimer of London: Argentum Coat – 8,500
                Thermal Dampening (Rating 6) – 3000
                Insulation (Rating 4) – 1000
                Nonconductivity (Rating 4) – 1000

Mortmer of London: Berwick Suit – 3,850
                Chemical Protection (Rating 3) – 750
                Fire Resistant (Rating 2) – 500
        Monofilament Whip – 10,000
        Fake SIN (Rating 4) (Isabella Santiago) – 10,000
        DocWagon Contract, Gold – 25,000
        Transys Avalon – 5,000
        Sim Module, Hot – 250
        Subvocal Mic – 50
        Maglock Passkey (Rating 4) – 8,000
        Sequencer (Rating 4) – 1,000
        Climbing Gear – 200
        Flashlight – 25
        Gecko Tape Gloves – 250
        Rollerblades – 100
        Respirator (Rating 6) – 300
        Survival Kit – 200
        Rappelling Gloves – 50
        Earbuds (rating 3) – 150
                Audio Enhancement (Rating 3) – 1,500

Glasses – 400
                Thermographic Vision – 500
                Flare Compensation – 250
                Vision Enhancement (Rating 2) – 1,000

Hair Ornamentation Sensor Housing (Rating 2) – 200
                Motion Sensor
                Atmosphere Sensor

Cyberware/Bioware
        Wired Reflexes (Rating 1) – 39,000
        Fingertip Compartment – 3,000

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 30, 2014

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Some days you need a hot extraction. Other days you need the kind of extraction where a troll rolls in with an assault cannon, hucking grenades left and right.

Then there are days where you need someone to power slide a Mack truck through the first floor of the building while shooting lightning from their fingertips and blasting Ride of the Valkyries through their overpowered speaker system, all as a swarm of spirit-possessed drones descend from the heavens.

Sparrow Han currently has the market cornered on the third style.

The youngest daughter of a pair of NeoNET wage mages, Ah-Ri-Yung got her start as a bored teenager in the suburban wasteland of Plano, taking joyrides in stolen cars with her grade school friend Eliza, an equally bored child prodigy. Eliza would handle the matrix end of things and leave Ah-Ri-Yung to drive. With a little magical practice, Ah-Ri-Yung developed the ability to cloak their rides in illusory paint jobs and modifications.

This eventually lead them into careers as carjackers; the cheap thrills and easy money were just too much of a temptation for the two, especially considering their bland futures as the kids of corporate executives. They took on the monikers Sparrow and Finch in honor of Ah-Ri-Yung's patron and the bird-like air spirits that she would summon when their wheels needed a little extra boost. They would eventually be kicked out of their respective houses on bad behavior, but this would only serve to make their thefts more brazen. Nothing left to lose and all that.

They began to drift apart after several successful years together. While Finch was saving up to transition into marginally more legitimate work, Sparrow was moving on to fixing high stakes street races and the occasional smuggling job. She needed to get her adrenaline fix, after all. Finch finally drew the line when Sparrow made her Shadowrunning debut, and though they don't work directly with each other anymore, Finch is still more than willing to help out her old friend in a supporting role.

Without her better half to keep her in check, Sparrow has gained quite the reputation amongst local runners as an overly colorful, opportunistic kleptomaniac. She revels in all the attention, however, and has been extremely adamant in remaining in her home grounds as a result.

pre:
Ah-Ri-Yung "Sparrow" Han

A Magic      Magic 6, 2x skills, 10 spells, MysAd (Shaman)
B Skills     36/5
C Resources  140k
D Attributes 14
E Metatype   Human 1

Bod 1 -> +2 -> 2
Agi 1 -> +1 -> 2
Rea 1 -> +2 -> 3 (7)
Str 1 -> +0 -> 1
Wil 1 -> +2 -> 3
Log 1 -> +1 -> 2
Int 1 -> +2 -> 3
Cha 1 -> +4 -> 5

Edg 3
Ess 6
Mag 6

Limits:
Physical 3 (5)
Mental   4
Social   7

Qualities: (25 karma)
6 PP (30)
Focused Concentration 3 (12)
Mentor Spirit: Raven (5) (+2 Con, +2 Manipulation Spells)

Limited Corporate SIN (NeoNET) (-15)
Weak Immune System (-10)

Magic:
Improved Reflexes 3 (3.5)
Improved Potential (Physical) (0.5)
Improved Senses 2 (0.5)
   Smartlink
   Imagelink
Improved Attribute: Reflexes (1.0)
Kinesics 2 (0.5)

Spells:
Heal
Improved Invisibility
Levitate
Fling
Mob Mind
Animate
Ice Sheet
Vehicle Mask
~FASHION~
Lightning Bolt

Skills:
Electronics 2
   Hardware, Software, Computer
Engineering 1
   Automotive, Aeronautics, Nautical, Industrial
Influence 1
   Leadership, Etiquette, Negotiation
Athletics 1
   Running, Swimming, Gymnastics

Spellcasting     5+1 (Manipulation)
Counterspelling  5+1
Summoning        6 (Air Spirits)

Binding 4
Electronic Warfare 2
Pilot Ground Craft 6 (Wheeled)
Pilot Aircraft 3
Pilot Walker 1
Perception 1
Artisan 1
Armorer 1
Throwing Weapons 1
Gunnery 1
Con 3

Knowledge Skills (10 free): 
English    N
Spanish    1
Korean     1

Security Protocol   2
Texas Highways      2
Go Gangs            1
Street Racing       1
Club Music          1
Gourmet Desserts    1

Gear: (140k)
Electronics and Rigging:
Vulcan Liegelord RCC      66  k
Transys Avalon             5  k
   All Add-Ons             2.2k
Rating 6 Bug Scanner        .6k

Rating 1 Fake SIN          2.5k
1 Month Low Lifestyle      2.2k

Car and Drones:
Ford Americar             16k
5x Rating 6 Autosofts     15k
   Clearsight
   [Ares Alpha] Weapon Targeting
   [Fly Spy] Stealth
   [MCT Roto] Evasion
   Electronic Warfare

MCT Roto                   5    k
   Weapon Mount            2.5  k
   Ares Alpha              2.650k
   50 Rounds                .100k
   6 HE Grenades            .600k
                          10.85k x2 = 21.7k

MCT Fly Spy                2k x4 = 8k

3 karma (6000):
Rating 6 Directional Jam.  1.2 k
Armor Jacket               1   k
2x HE Grenades              .2 k
8x throwing knives          .2 k

Bust A Move                 .75k
Fly Spy Sensors (Rating 3) 3.2 k
   MAD
   Ultrasound
   Motion Sensor

INLINE SKATES               .1 k

400 Starting Nuyen

quote:

Contacts (15 free):
Texas Yellow 5/2
Theo Trainer 6/1

Finch, 2/5 Mechanic
Sparrow's old partner in crime, back in the simpler days when carjacking was just a hobby for bored rich girls. While Sparrow blew most of her money on drugs and drones, Finch saved up enough to open her own Garage in Richardson. She's been making a steady living off of customization and the occasional black market deal.

Samjokgu, 2/2 Talismonger
A goofy old shaman who runs his operation out of a little storefront in H Mart. While he makes the majority of his income from selling baubles and clothes, he's a pretty reliable source for reagents and the occasional foci. Sure there might be better talismongers out there, but the convenience of being able to stop by after getting groceries is just too much.

Spike, 1/3 Go Ganger
One of the guys that used to help Sparrow fix races back before everyone caught on to her use of spirits for boost. He's your fairly gruff biker-type ork, but puts on a friendly face for anyone he respects. I-75 is his gang's stomping ground.

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 29, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Any houserules outside of chargen?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

QuantumNinja posted:

- We're in Texas. Guns cost 60% of the listed price. With the exception of Machine Guns, Cannons, and Launchers (heavy weapon stuff), Forbidden weapons are Restricted, Restricted weapons are fine to own.
Just to clarify: I'm assuming that heavy weapons also do not benefit from the 60% cost, right?

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Any houserules outside of chargen?

- Running Silent will be modified to be less terrible to deckers. The rules are going to work as follows: you make a Matrix Perception check, and your hits reveal any PANs in the area (and their devices) that have DR less than or equal to your hits. Any PANs over it show up, but just as glowy masses, but if you get a mark on one the PAN lights up, and you can use your spatial awareness in the obvious ways.
- I am debating the 'lethal decker' rules I'm using in my DW game.
- Machine Gun recoil won't be doubled.
- Magical Burnout costs 'what it would have been': if you dropped from 4 to 1 Magic due to essence loss, it costs you 25 Karma to go from 1 to 2.
- I'm open to porting over gear from 4E, just ask.
- Obviously no chunky salsa
- The Errata is in effect.

I'm willing to hear out any other suggestions.

Thanatosian posted:

Just to clarify: I'm assuming that heavy weapons also do not benefit from the 60% cost, right?

Everything's cheap, but not everything's legal.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alfred Nobel

Brodyjohn Theodore Steadworth, III had a rough adolescence. Well, every kid has a rough adolescence, but most don't start growing horns. Though, these days, horns weren't all that uncommon; the real problem was "what would the neighbors think?" And so Brodyjohn Theodore Steadworth, III--why, yes, of the Connecticut Steadworths--was shipped off to the Windermere School for Boys, in Fishkill, NY. Windermere was a dumping ground for "undesirable" children of well-to-do families, mostly metahumans, but a few humans with "authority issues."

Why the hell anyone would send their dandelion-eater to a school like that boggled Brody's mind; everyone wanted to be a fraggin' pixie, and no one seemed willing to do anything to set limits on the ones at Windermere. Forrest Whitehall Jr. was both the de facto queen of the faeries, and the most popular kid in school, as well as a terror on a lot of the students. Brody was one of his favorite targets; the first time he'd tried to pick on him, Brody had bloodied his lip, and almost gotten expelled. Since he couldn't imagine that his parents would reward expulsion with anything better than Windermere, Brody watched his step around Forrest. The kicking never really stopped; replacing reinforced chairs with regular ones just to watch him fall, magical itching powder, incessant jokes about his intelligence, it never really ended.

Brody found solace in three places: the first was on the lacrosse field; Windermere had one of the best teams in the Northeast, since it was made up almost entirely of metahumans. Brody was one of the best players, and probably would have had a scholarship if he hadn't gotten kicked off the team for one too many instances of "unnecessary roughness." Brody had a temper that he wouldn't apologize for.

The second was in magic; unbeknownst to his fellow students, Brodyjohn had begun to commune with a spirit during his sophomore year. Some would call using Adept magic to bring your team to the state championships "cheating," but Brody didn't see anything wrong with it; if he was going to have to put up with all the drek that went with being a tusk, he may as well get some of the good stuff, too.

The spirit in question was a Thunderbird named Vex. Vex is basically Mr. Miyagi, if Mr. Miyagi liked to drink a lot of Red Bull Jagerbombs. When they first met, Vex assured Brody that his powers were great and mysterious, and included everything from shooting lightning out his rear end to being able to judge the skill of any warrior. Since then, Brody has become a bit skeptical of Vex's boasting, especially since no lightning has ever been forthcoming, and his judgment of anyone's fighting skills pretty much always comes out as "dude, you could totally take this guy." Since he can't see him without chemical assistance (i.e. getting high as baaaalllllsss), Vex is generally just a voice in the back of Brody's head saying "are you gonna let him get away with talking to you like that?" the answer to which is invariably "no."

And the third was in science; despite all the poo poo he got pitched from the keebs and the keeb-wannabes, Brody had an aptitude for chemistry, probably stemming at least in part from some low-grade pyromania. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's not like he wanted to see everything burn or anything, but everyone likes an awesome explosion now and then, right? Chemistry was probably the only reason Brody ended up graduating.

And what do you do after graduating? Well, if you're four well-off metahumans, you jump in your friend's Jeep and drive down to Dallas, mostly to piss off your Yankee parents by moving to the CAS. After a few months of couchsurfing and mooching off of his better-off friends, one of his friends who got tired of it called up his parents and managed to swing a job for Brody as a wageslave in one of the megacorp labs. After being given a "move out in a week" ultimatum, Brody had no choice but to SIN up, and start bringing home the bacon.

Things went along like that for awhile. Brody spent his days at work, his nights hitting up some of the lower-rent clubs in Dallas (since that's all he could afford). He started to volunteer with DanceSafe, doing drug testing outside of the raves... which put him in touch with some of the less-savory portions of Dallas night life. When he saw the kind of money he could make Running, how could he say "no?" Just a job here, a job there... nothing the head office needed to know about. Except when he was working for the head office, but of course, when he was working for them, it wasn't the cardpuncher Brody Steadworth III... it was Alfred Nobel, who gets paid to make things go "boom."

pre:
Metatype (A) [Troll]
Attributes (B)
Magic (D) [Adept]
Skills (C)
Resources (E)

Primary Alias:  Alfred Nobel
Troll Adept
Height:  260cm 
Weight:  158kg
Total Karma:  40

Body 10 (11)
Agi  5  (6)
Rea  5  (8)
Str  8
Will 2
Log  2
Int  4
Cha  2
Edge 2
Ess  6
Magic  6

Limits:  

Mental 4
Physical 12
Social 4

Physical Wounds 14 (4/wound penalty)
Stun Wounds 9 (4/wound penalty)
Overflow 11
Initiative 12 + 4d6

Skill Groups

Athletics 2
-Gymnastics
-Running
-Swimming

Skills - Active

Blades 6
Specialization:  Katanas
Heavy Weapons:  4
Intimidation:  3 (5)
Chemistry:  5
Specialization:  Physical Chemistry
Demolitions:  5
Gunnery:  3

Skills - Knowledge

English - N
Sperethiel - 1
Specialization:  Derogatory Slang
Lacrosse - 3
Corporate Politics - 2
EDM - 2
Street Drugs - 3

Attributes: 20/20
Skills:  28/28, 2/2 

Karma (40/48):  

Corporate SIN (+15)
Prejudiced (Outspoken) (+5) [Elves & Elf Posers]
The Spiritual Way (Thunderbird) (20)
Will(10)
Cha (10)

Adept 

Critical Strike [Katanas] 
Improved Accuracy [Katanas] (.25)
Improved Reflexes (3.5)
Attribute Boost [Agility]:  1 (.25)
Attribute Boost [Strength]:  1 (.25)
Mystic Armor:  1 (.25) D
Pain Resistance:  1 (.5) 
Improved Physical Attribute [Agility] (.5) D
Improved Physical Attribute [Body] (.5) D

Contacts:  

A shady figure who runs the Sage In Bloom, a local Dixie bar. In the back room, though, he's a fixer, 
acting as a middle-man between people looking to hire runners and the runner community.

An above-board fixer who sometimes hires people from the runner community for 'straight work', 
including protecting pop icons and ensuring things run smoothly for political candidates.

Redi Savniki, Connection 5, Loyalty 1
Ostensibly the janitor at a street clinic, Redi uses the relative privacy to hide his work as a fence.  
While he's willing to buy or sell just about anything, chemicals are his specialty.

Mikey Beez, Connections 2 (5 when looking for BTL or anything flashy), Loyalty 2
A former go-ganger turned BTL star, great for a good time or when you need some really impressive drek for that next party. 

Gear:  

Low Lifestyle (4000)
Lab Coats (240)
Street Clothes (300)
Rave Outfit (200)
Katana (1000)
Actioneer Business Clothes (1500)
Armor Jacket (1000)
10kg Commercial Explosives (1000)
3kg Foam Explosives, 12 (3600)
4 Detonator Caps (300)
Sony Emperor Commlink 2 (700)
Goggles, Cap. 2 (100)
-Flare Compensation (250)
-Vision Magnification (250)
-Image Link (25)
Crowbar (20)
Fake SIN 2 (5000)
Fake license [Katana] 3 (600)

Nuyen:  25337

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 26, 2015

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

I was going to make my character a wageslave for a corp who actually does his runs without corporate knowledge. I'm not terribly picky about the corp; want to be roommates?

Sure, what level of lifestyle were you thinking? I've got the character sheet about ready, just need to do a background writeup and generate some names.

Edit 3: Here's Felix Adams.

Felix Adams, or Jack "All-Trades" Harris as he goes by in the shadows, is a child of a low level corporate executive of some minor AA corp that barely qualified for extraterritoriality. Chosen to take part in a corporate intelligence project to create multi-talented agents, Felix was groomed from a young age to aim his magical talents towards enhancing the competence of both himself and others. A talented troubleshooter, he can perform at a professional level in most tasks with a little bit of preparation and bring out the best in other people. Felix was often deployed whether his parent corporation needed someone shot from a kilometer out, a first aid capable bodyguard for a VIP, a temporary security spider or just someone who could wring out a few extra percentage points from an underperforming R&D department.

He was stranded in Dallas when his parent corporation was destroyed in a corporate war. Which has forced him to shadowrun to make a living and afford the bribes necessary to avoid the agents of the opposing corporation. Clarence Freeman, Felix's corporate handler at the time was stranded alongside Felix, and has also entered the shadows as a fixer, though he is still building his network. Felix has also made friends with a talismonger and a software pirate who goes by the handle "Occultron" and is part of the Technomagicians. Felix has since joined the group, since the siren call of an inclusive network of magically and technologically capable individuals with cheap membership dues was too strong for someone with no support network to speak of.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 4, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Because it's so DM based, how often or how lenient are you to regaining Edge? I'm thinking of going Former Mr Johnson / Mr Lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

New to Shadowrun and still reading up on the fluff. How plausible is a middle-class office drone who took up shadowrunning as a result of his mid-life crisis?

• Locked thread