Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

beejay posted:

Looks like 290X uses a 512-bit bus even for the 4GB version. Can someone weigh in on how 256-bit bus would handle 8GB?

From what I gathered before the memory bandwidth bus was a pretty good indicator of what the card was able to deal with this generation, but that it was more of a indirect association and there is in fact much more to it than that and is hard to really compare to another generation. I wish I knew more. I tried but there was quite a bit of misinformation and contradicting ideas about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

MaxxBot posted:

I think there would need to be better communication bandwidth/latency for this to work properly, it's a fundamental hardware problem rather than it just being an issue of poorly done software. I believe that's why they switched from doing SFR (which is what you described) to AFR because the communication overhead for SFR is too high.

Oh, that's cool, I just imagined the SFR thing in my head, I was expecting someone to tell me that was idiotic. Nice to know it's a thing and there's a term.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

beejay posted:

Looks like 290X uses a 512-bit bus even for the 4GB version. Can someone weigh in on how 256-bit bus would handle 8GB?

I was actually going to post that myself. I've seen a lot of doom and gloom posting about the alleged 256 bus, but I don't understand such details well enough to know if it's hyperbole or an actual performance knee-capper.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I'd be pretty surprised if it is actually going to use a 256-bit bus because you'd have to increase the frequency really, really high to still yield an increase in memory bandwidth over the 780ti. I'm not super familiar with how memory bandwidth affects performance but I know that there's no way they would release the 880 with less memory bandwidth than their previous generation card.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

They already have before with the 5 series. The 570 for example has a 320 bit wide bus.

It's just not a direct correlation like it seems to be with this generation (6 and 7 series I mean). It seems to have been more of a reference for memory performance that has been practically accurate, but just not literally so. A literal correlation of memory bus width may only tell us is how many memory chips there will be when we compare two different generations

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Dobermaniac posted:

I'm looking at picking up a Lenovo Y50 with a Maxwell 860M video card. They have two options 2GB and 4GB. The only video games I play are WoW and a little bit of CS:Go. I want to be able to max out the settings @ 1920x1080. Would I notice much if any difference between the 2 and 4 gig version? It's going to be paired with a i7 4710, 16 gigs of ram, and Evo 840 512gb ssd. I plan on keeping this laptop for 4+ years. It'll be replacing a laptop with a Radeon 5440 1gb.

This is a fun one. Notebookcheck only mentions the 4GB version of the Maxwell 860m, so there's a chance that the 2GB part is actually a Kepler GTX760 underclocked to 800mhz. Good job Nvidia! :downsbravo:
Digging through some forums, it seems that the 4GB version should definitely be Maxwell so go with that if the price difference isn't very high.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Over/under for the new Nvidia card. $800.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

beejay posted:

Bandwidth (Bus width * memory frequency) and amount of RAM are two entirely separate issues. Things like SSAA demand both more memory and more bandwidth to maintain acceptable performance. Simply storing more textures in vram (Like the rumored watch dogs keeping literally two or three coppies of the same texture in VRAM) is just a matter of amount. So long as you have enough vram, all is well, regardless of bandwidth.

The only other consideration about amount of vram vs bus width is simply whether or not RAM companies make chips with large enough die sizes to get 8 gigs on a card with a 256 bit bus, since you only get a set number of chips per width of the bus iirc.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Gwaihir posted:

Bandwidth (Bus width * memory frequency) and amount of RAM are two entirely separate issues. Things like SSAA demand both more memory and more bandwidth to maintain acceptable performance. Simply storing more textures in vram (Like the rumored watch dogs keeping literally two or three coppies of the same texture in VRAM) is just a matter of amount. So long as you have enough vram, all is well, regardless of bandwidth.

The only other consideration about amount of vram vs bus width is simply whether or not RAM companies make chips with large enough die sizes to get 8 gigs on a card with a 256 bit bus, since you only get a set number of chips per width of the bus iirc.

That's 8 chips, as far as I know 1gb GDDR5 chips are (were) really expensive. But a lot of time has passed now so we shall see.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Over/under for the new Nvidia card. $800.

They'd be out of their minds, but not as much as whoever pays $800 for it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rime posted:

I'm just hoping the high-end cards dropping in November have 6-8GB of vram on them. 4GB is really not going to cut it moving forward.

Me too. Not because I have a legitimate need for the things in gaming, but you can burn through 6gb pretty fast if you are using them for compute stuff.

I'd love to be able to get 16gb on a future-gen K20 and 32gb on a K40.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

GDDR6 is where it will be at :getin:

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Might as well go to GDDR7 in keeping with the odd number theme.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Khagan posted:

Might as well go to GDDR7 in keeping with the odd number theme.

We had GDDR4, it just didn't stick around because GDDR5 came out pretty quickly afterwards.

AMD used GDDR4 on at least two dozen of their cards. The latest one was the HD 4850.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Pimpmust posted:

GDDR6 is where it will be at :getin:

Ram is weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbgvzVgfoSc

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Arzachel posted:

This is a fun one. Notebookcheck only mentions the 4GB version of the Maxwell 860m, so there's a chance that the 2GB part is actually a Kepler GTX760 underclocked to 800mhz. Good job Nvidia! :downsbravo:
Digging through some forums, it seems that the 4GB version should definitely be Maxwell so go with that if the price difference isn't very high.

I've bought a Gigabyte P34G v2 recently (a powerful portable laptop that contains a 4GB GTX 860m Maxwell): VRAM amount does not indicate whether the chip is a Kepler or Maxwell part, that is false information circulating some forums.

It seems, with the Y50, both the 2GB and 4GB version are Maxwell parts.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I assume that GDDR6 will be coming sometime around when DDR4 gets going next year(ish), or at least that's what the rumours about Maxwell says.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I recently had to RMA a video card to EVGA (660ti) that they replaced with a 760. Overall I am very pleased with EVGA's customer service - are they a-typical in the graphics card industry?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Massasoit posted:

I recently had to RMA a video card to EVGA (660ti) that they replaced with a 760. Overall I am very pleased with EVGA's customer service - are they a-typical in the graphics card industry?

Yes. Companies like PNY With a "lifetime warranty". Its only the lifetime they stock the product in their warehouse.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

1gnoirents posted:

That's 8 chips, as far as I know 1gb GDDR5 chips are (were) really expensive. But a lot of time has passed now so we shall see.
All of this GPU memory talk piqued my interest. I couldn't find anything more recent in my quick search, and I don't know where you'd go to find more in-depth information, but I found a thread on HardOCP where somebody posted a couple of images from Mercury Research detailing graphics card component cost for some cards from both companies for 2009 and 2011. The figures have the cost for GDDR5 (in 2011) at around $18.45/GB. That would put 6GB and 8GB of GDDR5 in 2011 prices at $110.70 and $147.60, respectively.

I wish I knew where to find more up-to-date info on this stuff. It's kind of interesting.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Massasoit posted:

Unfortunately so. There used to be more companies with similar customer service policies, and they're not all gone (any company that accepts warranty work on a card that's been disassembled is a-okay in my book, that is ballsy and cool for the customer and EVGA is not the only one who does it). EVGA does stand out in that regard in the industry, though. Especially within a generation like this where you've got a number of performance analogs after the refresh, they can generally be counted on to make a warranty replacement slightly in your favor when the card that needs replaced is no longer available new.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Agreed posted:

Unfortunately so. There used to be more companies with similar customer service policies, and they're not all gone (any company that accepts warranty work on a card that's been disassembled is a-okay in my book, that is ballsy and cool for the customer and EVGA is not the only one who does it). EVGA does stand out in that regard in the industry, though. Especially within a generation like this where you've got a number of performance analogs after the refresh, they can generally be counted on to make a warranty replacement slightly in your favor when the card that needs replaced is no longer available new.

This, and isn't EVGA one of the few that will still honor warranty even if you damage your card via overclocking? Obviously as long as the card hasn't been physically modified/damaged by misuse or whatever (e.g. soldering or stuff like that).

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Off the top of my head the only other company that are totally cool with it are MSI (if you overvolt a lightning card to death they'll still replace it) and maybe Galaxy with their HOF stuff.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty astonished that none of these companies use something like an e-fuse to detect when you alter the BIOS, you can overvolt any card you want and if you set it back and keep your trap shut no one would be the wiser.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Zero VGS posted:

I'm pretty astonished that none of these companies use something like an e-fuse to detect when you alter the BIOS, you can overvolt any card you want and if you set it back and keep your trap shut no one would be the wiser.

Hiring and training employees to do this would likely cost more than just sending out new cards, especially if they can send out refurbs as replacements.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I don't mess around with overclocking anything - stock runs fine for my needs and knowing myself I'd probably burn down the house. I'm really glad EVGA replaced the card though because I would not have been able to replace it with my current funds the way they are. Pretty sure EVGA just made a customer for life though.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Ever since I installed my new gpu, r9 290x, skype crashes when I make a call. I have updated my video drivers and uninstalled/reinstalled/cleared cache multiple times with skype.

Any ideas? It only crashes as soon as I click call, sometimes it will connect for 1 sec. I can still type to them in the program before it crashes.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

goodness posted:

Ever since I installed my new gpu, r9 290x, skype crashes when I make a call. I have updated my video drivers and uninstalled/reinstalled/cleared cache multiple times with skype.

Any ideas? It only crashes as soon as I click call, sometimes it will connect for 1 sec. I can still type to them in the program before it crashes.

https://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Ati-Catalyst-Control-Center-11-Conflict-with-Skype-5-5-freezing/m-p/463693#M41015

Apparently skype dies when AA is forced on the call screen.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
G10/h55 combo ordered. Hope I dont gently caress things up.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Don't over tighten like I did. It was really easy to do, but it wasn't a disaster either it just bent the weakest side of the mounting plate

Dr. McReallysweet
Sep 12, 2006

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Don Lapre posted:

G10/h55 combo ordered. Hope I dont gently caress things up.

just installed a g10/x41 on my 290x. no longer louder than a jet.

1gnoirents posted:

Don't over tighten like I did. It was really easy to do, but it wasn't a disaster either it just bent the weakest side of the mounting plate
How tight is too tight?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

The change in resistance between tight and bending was very slight. If I were looking at it from the side when I was screwing it down I'd have noticed it before I did any damage. It was different than the other 3 corners though because those had support, it was just the one free corner hanging on its own.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Im just gonna snug mine up. Doesnt need to be putting massive pressure down.

Edit: Wow, i cant believe the temp drop with an h55. Went from ~82c to 57c in BF4 with a higher overclock.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 25, 2014

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Has anyone here tried flashing a GTX 680 to a GTX 770, primarily to get Boost 2.0? I have a Gigabyte GTX 680 2GB OC, which actually has stock clocks above the GTX 770 (except on VRAM). Is it as simple as taking the BIOS for the Gigabyte GTX 770 2GB, editing the VRAM speed down to 6Ghz to match my card in Kepler Bios Tweaker, and flashing it?

Overall it seems like the GTX 770 BIOS has lower minimum voltages and higher maximum voltages, though it also seems to boost less aggressively. I was thinking of just bumping up the minimums and lowering the maximums to match my card along with the power targets, do you think I need to try to make the boost or performance tiers match up? Should I even bother with tweaking vs just flashing the 770 BIOS with the VRAM underclocked?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I have not tried it, so I'm mostly regurgitating from memory and Google here, but most of what I'm finding is just cargo-culting the frequency/voltage tables into a stock 680 BIOS (basically, just using the 770 as a template for an overvolt/OC job), not actually using a 770 BIOS. This has been called out for what it is.

That said, I have seen people seem to say they used a real 770 BIOS and enabled Boost 2.0 successfully, but that they saw, at most, a 1-2% difference over their previous overclocked results. That doesn't strike me as a good ROI for a risky procedure.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 26, 2014

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
The latest Steam In-home Streaming Beta now supports Nvidia Kepler hardware encoding with latest Beta driver. This is nice as I can once again postpone CPU upgrade and now hardware-intensive games, such as Metro LL can be played on my netbook without massive lag. There is no ETA when Radeons get the same ability. Though one could have used Limelight for this but in my experience it was slow, laggy and had poor image quality.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Is it a good idea to upgrade now, or wait?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Bob NewSCART posted:

Is it a good idea to upgrade now, or wait?

Probably wait if you dont buy gpus that often. Would depend on what you want though, how often you upgrade, how comfortable you are with resale... etc. But the next gen supposed to be out in months vs totally unknown now so there is that

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

That doesn't strike me as a good ROI for a risky procedure.
Yeah I remember looking into it a bit before I sold my GTX 680 and came to the same conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I'm building a PC for a friend. For 1080 gaming is it worth it to get a 770 if he has the spare change? Or should he rather get a 760 and save for the next gen?