Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
To those of you who like Betrayal, what do you feel is the optimal Haunt time? I played a few games and soured on it pretty quickly because it felt like either the Haunt happened so early that the players had no chance or so late that the villain had no chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Wolery posted:

To those of you who like Betrayal, what do you feel is the optimal Haunt time? I played a few games and soured on it pretty quickly because it felt like either the Haunt happened so early that the players had no chance or so late that the villain had no chance.

I think someone said it earlier, but five or so turns seems to be a good Haunt time. I'm usually playing with a group of three though, so that might skew things slightly.

Of course, a lot of our fun with the game is adding secondary layers of dumb story onto the basic game, like deciding that my character having their speed reduced to one by a cloud of smoke in the greenhouse really meant I just hotboxed the poo poo out of it. Actually winning/losing the game is secondary to our bizarre roleplaying.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Jefepato posted:

I've only played Betrayal 2-3 times, but at an educated guess, it's less that there's too many omen rooms or anything, and more that the game has enough different variables going on that things can easily become unbalanced depending on how things are laid out and what haunt you get.

I remember one game where the house was sinking into a swamp or something, but the non-traitors were laughably close to the rooms needed to escape, and they sailed away laughing while the traitor had no chance to stop them. I can't really complain, it was fun anyway.

I think you're thinking of the scenario where the house is falling into hell?

And yeah, sometimes the traitor gets ultimate power through the scenario and stomps the heroes, and sometimes they don't and everything is already in place for a quick hero-win.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Green Intern posted:

I think you're thinking of the scenario where the house is falling into hell?

No, there's a scenario which involves a water level rising and you have to find a boat and get to the right room to escape. I had to endure that one once, but due to a misreading of the rules we had the water rise every turn instead of every round. Meaning that the house was underwater within one round, and we we were absolutely hosed right out the gate. I forget what it's called, but it's in there.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Fuego Fish posted:

No, there's a scenario which involves a water level rising and you have to find a boat and get to the right room to escape. I had to endure that one once, but due to a misreading of the rules we had the water rise every turn instead of every round. Meaning that the house was underwater within one round, and we we were absolutely hosed right out the gate. I forget what it's called, but it's in there.

Oh wait, poo poo, you're right. Played that scenario as a psychotic little girl with a spear and 8 strength. I put on my best Captain Ahab impersonation.

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!
Wow. The haunt that just got revealed in the Betrayal thread sounds really drat difficult, unless I'm missing something?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

The difficulty comes entirely from the fact that none of the required rooms have been found yet, and a couple of the heroes are dangerously close to the kill-zone pentagram chamber. It's likely to snowball pretty quickly in favor of the traitor.

Edit: this kind of situation is really common in Betrayal, in my experience.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Green Intern posted:

The difficulty comes entirely from the fact that none of the required rooms have been found yet, and a couple of the heroes are dangerously close to the kill-zone pentagram chamber. It's likely to snowball pretty quickly in favor of the traitor.

Edit: this kind of situation is really common in Betrayal, in my experience.

Yeah, Betrayal is fun, but you can often call who's going to win at Haunt reveal given relative strengths. Of course, you can also end up with situations like one of my games, where the Track Star was kitted out in armor, revolver and had just forged the silver bullets, then failed at shooting the werewolf enough times to instead be killed. So sometimes bad luck can turn things on their head.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Waiting on paradoxGentleman to make his turn.

I don't seem to be able to PM him, so I will try here.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
So how the hell do you go about getting a new GM to take over for the one that left you at the altar?

Bunch of us goons were pumped to be in an ascension game and after three pages the GM just vanishes, stops coming into IRC, and goes nuts in the Destiny beta thread. I know there's threads to get replacement players, but is there one for replacement GMs? :v:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

John Dyne posted:

So how the hell do you go about getting a new GM to take over for the one that left you at the altar?

Bunch of us goons were pumped to be in an ascension game and after three pages the GM just vanishes, stops coming into IRC, and goes nuts in the Destiny beta thread. I know there's threads to get replacement players, but is there one for replacement GMs? :v:

I was in the same boat with a dungeon world game (except our gm was cool and just had irl poo poo come up) what we did was just repost the recruit in the recruit thread looking for a gm, and we got one.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Error 404 posted:

I was in the same boat with a dungeon world game (except our gm was cool and just had irl poo poo come up) what we did was just repost the recruit in the recruit thread looking for a gm, and we got one.

Didn't even consider that, but after you mentioned it, I've gone and done it. Thanks.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Let me tell you a tale of a game called Renvin...

Seriously, though, if your GM bailed but everyone else wants to continue, find a new one.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Fuego Fish posted:

Let me tell you a tale of a game called Renvin...

Seriously, though, if your GM bailed but everyone else wants to continue, find a new one.

Oh my god I'm so sad this fell into archives.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sion posted:

Another junkie lives too fast

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Sion posted:

Do you think I'd let it fall into the archives? Hammer of Loki disappeared. I was the last player left in the thread. I'd keep posting in the thread except that a certain mod closed the thread because he decided it needed to end.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

DocBubonic posted:

Do you think I'd let it fall into the archives? Hammer of Loki disappeared. I was the last player left in the thread. I'd keep posting in the thread except that a certain mod closed the thread because he decided it needed to end.

What kind of hitler would let something like that happen.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

TheNabster posted:

Waiting on paradoxGentleman to make his turn.

I don't seem to be able to PM him, so I will try here.

Any luck reaching him? I need to know if my Scientist ever gets his shadow back. :ohdear:

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

ibntumart posted:

Any luck reaching him? I need to know if my Scientist ever gets his shadow back. :ohdear:

I dunno, I haven't been given any other way to contact him, I will most likely possibly, if he doesn't take a turn by this, Friday or something take his turn for him.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Neverwinter just hit 1000 posts! You should check us out if you haven't: totally the best 4e game on the forums right now!

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Does anyone know if anyone has ever run a game of Microscope here? If one exists I'd like to read it, but search has been ineffective.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

TheNabster posted:

I dunno, I haven't been given any other way to contact him, I will most likely possibly, if he doesn't take a turn by this, Friday or something take his turn for him.
I am terribly, terribly sorry for bailing out on you guys. University completely kicked my rear end and I forgot all about the game.
I suppose I'm out of the game now, right?

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Been reading The Disappearance Of Holly Meyer.

Alyosha Kosoglad is the most powerful entity in the universe.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

paradoxGentleman posted:

I am terribly, terribly sorry for bailing out on you guys. University completely kicked my rear end and I forgot all about the game.
I suppose I'm out of the game now, right?

Nah it's cool, at least I know what happened.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

GMarshal posted:

Does anyone know if anyone has ever run a game of Microscope here? If one exists I'd like to read it, but search has been ineffective.

As far as I know, nobody ever tried it. Which is a shame, because it sounds like it's really fun; it could probably be played in PbP without too much trouble.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

There was one Microscope game last summer. I don't quite remember who ran it or who all were writing in it, though. Seemed like fun.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
So WhiteHowler just got exiled in the Dead of Winter game. I am hoping he doesn't phone it in and starts assaulting and capturing anything he can now. Exile is the coolest part of the game. If you're a betrayer you start a band of raiders, if you were innocent you have to try and scrape by without help from your former friends.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Been watching the Fallout Blood Opry thread for a good long while now. It's really good, and I've enjoyed the hell out of it.

Doc Idle, if you see this, I know the group is looking to get the hell out of Nashville, and with a change in setting I was wondering if the OOC thread was still open for apps? I've got a couple of character ideas and I'd love to get in on it. I just didn't want to drop an unwanted app in the OOC thread without checking first.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

RickVoid posted:

Been watching the Fallout Blood Opry thread for a good long while now. It's really good, and I've enjoyed the hell out of it.

Doc Idle, if you see this, I know the group is looking to get the hell out of Nashville, and with a change in setting I was wondering if the OOC thread was still open for apps? I've got a couple of character ideas and I'd love to get in on it. I just didn't want to drop an unwanted app in the OOC thread without checking first.

Come and talk to the players in the OOC, see how everyone feels about it. I'm not against the idea :)

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I wish someone would do another nation sim, like that Constitutional Convention one with the crocodile men.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I wish someone would do another nation sim, like that Constitutional Convention one with the crocodile men.

That game was interesting, but it seemed like there was no reason for anyone to ever compromise.

MrThingyman
Mar 8, 2014
Hey, so I was trying to find a "general mafia" thread or "mafia discussion" thread, but had no luck.

Can someone help me out? I just need to alert merk to the fact that he's received a PM on 2+2. Any help would be much appreciated.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

MrThingyman posted:

Hey, so I was trying to find a "general mafia" thread or "mafia discussion" thread, but had no luck.

Can someone help me out? I just need to alert merk to the fact that he's received a PM on 2+2. Any help would be much appreciated.

I think this is what you want.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Goddamn, the lovely rolls in Red Dawn :psyduck:

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

I really gotta just fuckin' finish Betrayal already, but I keep putting it off.

Next time, I am running a game that will take less time to run.

On that note, has anyone heard of Neuroshima Hex, because that is what I was intending to run.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

GMarshal posted:

I was the one who tried to run a Microscope game. Unfortunately, the players flaked on me; I suspect I wasn't open enough about what Microscope actually was to begin with. If there's interest (say, three players?), I'd be happy to give it another go.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

FredMSloniker posted:

I was the one who tried to run a Microscope game. Unfortunately, the players flaked on me; I suspect I wasn't open enough about what Microscope actually was to begin with. If there's interest (say, three players?), I'd be happy to give it another go.

What is microscope?

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

EXAKT Science posted:

What is microscope?

Its a game where you play out scenes in history along a timeline.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
http://www.lamemage.com/microscope/

Basically it's more of an interactive live setting generator, but you do roleplay vignettes. I only played it once, and we kind of petered out after a while, but it was a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

FredMSloniker posted:

I've always thought Microscope looked really cool. I'm in plenty of games already right now, but I'd love to try it out sometime.