Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
lol if u store or backup any data of any kind and aren't a digital nomad roaming the plains of the internet using and throwing away bits at your leisure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Alereon posted:

swsp would probably know more but i am pretty sure almost nothing about the platters is the same. they use a new lighter substrate (ceramic based for awhile but I'm not sure if it still is) with a lower coefficient of thermal expension, a new magnetic recording medium (it used to be iron oxide) with higher magnetic coercivity, and you need a new soft magnetic layer under the recording medium for perpendicular recording to work. im not sure about shingled recording.
yeah pretty much nothing is the same as far as platter design goes over the last 20 years

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Alereon posted:

swsp would probably know more but i am pretty sure almost nothing about the platters is the same. they use a new lighter substrate (ceramic based for awhile but I'm not sure if it still is) with a lower coefficient of thermal expension, a new magnetic recording medium (it used to be iron oxide) with higher magnetic coercivity, and you need a new soft magnetic layer under the recording medium for perpendicular recording to work. im not sure about shingled recording.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

yeah pretty much nothing is the same as far as platter design goes over the last 20 years

cool :tipshat:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Metrication posted:

lol if u store or backup any data of any kind and aren't a digital nomad roaming the plains of the internet using and throwing away bits at your leisure
is this the plot for the new :madmax:

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
are ssd bits still just deep wells that they deposit charge on (which is why it fades over time)?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gross

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Enderzero posted:

are ssd bits still just deep wells that they deposit charge on (which is why it fades over time)?

the charge is stored on a floating gate which is a little bit of polysilicon or metal surrounded by a dielectric medium.

charge fades away over time because the electrons will eventually tunnel out oblivious to the fact that they don't have enough energy to do so and thus aren't supposed to but they don't have time for newtonian physics

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
so it's a quantum randomness problem?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

there's nothing random about it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no, it's literally just quantum tunneling in action. it's a fundamental physical phenomenon

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
ah of course

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

no, it's literally just quantum tunneling in action. it's a fundamental physical phenomenon

boring old queer tunneling

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i just ordered a 2TB drive on amazon. same model as the 4TB but 2TB. i'm gonna use it as a time machine, and i'm fine with that amount because i don't think i even have half my 1TB filled

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i have a 500gb and have never filled it because i don't hoard anime, nor do i obsessively "back up" every movie and tv show i've ever seen

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Sweevo posted:

i have a 500gb and have never filled it because i don't hoard anime, nor do i obsessively "back up" every movie and tv show i've ever seen

same. i am recording 10 audio tracks for at least an hour at a time now, so that's sort of a big change. just 16-bit 44.1

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
AAA pc games are getting kinda silly with the sizes

Titanfall being 50GB was hilarious but just about any big release isn't far behind

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Fabricated posted:

AAA pc games are getting kinda silly with the sizes

Titanfall being 50GB was hilarious but just about any big release isn't far behind

gawd drat. that's waaay more than it needs to be. developers: "but it runs better uncompressed!"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
with unlimited Internet, steam and plenty of hd space complaining about games taking space is the new "my rams"

I wanna upgrade my hd. mainly coz I got like 3tbs of poo poo in external drives which still haven't failed yet

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Titanfall being 50GB

lmbo seriously

i suppose this explains why it took like 45 fuckin minutes to "install" on my buddy's xbone even when it was connected to an institutional network that regularly hits 0.5gbps to remote servers

what's even the point of having a disc in these situations

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
the xbox one and pc versions are a lot different in terms of file size though

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The vast majority of Titanfall's size is the audio btw :shepface:

quote:

PC gamers (especially those with SSDs) were puzzled to find out that Titanfall had a gargantuan 48 GB file size, despite the lack of a single player campaign and the fact that it was running on a modified source engine. Some digging around in the files revealed that a huge portion of that size was due to a whopping 35 GB of completely uncompressed audio. Respawn has now explained that the reason the audio was not compressed was so they could dedicate more system resources to running the game, and less to unpacking audio files.

Key to Respawn's ethos is pursuit of low-latency controls, the best possible 'handshake' between the player and the game, something that having compressed audio and having the CPU uncompress it on-the-fly, could possibly interfere with, Respawn lead engineer Richard Baker explained to Eurogamer.

He did, however, admit that most PC gamers probably wouldn't even notice the difference. "On a higher PC it wouldn't be an issue. On a medium or moderate PC, it wouldn't be an issue, it's that on a two-core [machine] with where our min spec is, we couldn't dedicate those resources to audio."

sry see above edit

vvvvv

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 29, 2014

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Fabricated posted:

what how the gently caress is that even possible

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Fabricated posted:

sry see above edit

vvvvv

lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh, well, that makes sense. decompressing audio isn't just something you can do with a couple of megahertz and half a meg of ram, after all.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
shoulda used midi

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
lol see what did i tell you! developers excuse is it will perform better uncompressed. but seriously??? audio?? wtf

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
you can have that stuff be done in audioAL or whatever on the GPU no problem. the game looks pretty good but that is some serious developer laziness and it's astounding they released it that way

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah, i guess running mp3 decompression could cause a noticeable hit to gaming performance, if you were running like a low-end pentium II or something

jesus gently caress

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

gamers are idiot children and deserve what they get tho

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah, i guess running mp3 decompression could cause a noticeable hit to gaming performance, if you were running like a low-end pentium II or something

jesus gently caress

i think you mean ogg vorbis

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

jesus gently caress

amazingly, even with the ~uncompressed audio~, it still only renders at 1400x800 on the xbone

800 pixels tall? what year is it? i heard britney's spears and destiny child were hot. check out that girl with the cool new one sleeved tank top. watch bush start a loving war

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

i think you mean ogg vorbis

it doesn't matter

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Sagebrush posted:

amazingly, even with the ~uncompressed audio~, it still only renders at 1400x800 on the xbone

800 pixels tall? what year is it? i heard britney's spears and destiny child were hot. check out that girl with the cool new one sleeved tank top. watch bush start a loving war

you mean without the uncompressed audio? the xbone's version file size can't be that big

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

it doesn't matter

it matters to those of us who care about a FREE WEB

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

it matters to those of us who care about a FREE WEB

oh poo poo you're right. this is why some browsers don't support mp3 natively in the html5 audio tag

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Fabricated posted:

makes sense in that it uses the source engine and a lot of the dialog in hl2 were just wavs sitting in a single file/folder

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
"it's not that we couldn't figure poo poo out it's a feature!!"

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

oh poo poo you're right. this is why some browsers don't support mp3 natively in the html5 audio tag

nonfree alternatives may be supported but it doesn't mean they are ideal.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

LastInLine posted:

gamers are idiot children and deserve what they get tho

p much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
what's a good wireless external HD