Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

SC is still rather slow.
(Story structure, no plot details)
You basically spend the first 5 (of 9) chapters the same way as the first game: Go to a city, do all the sidequests if you want, do the main questline to advance the story, move on the next next city. And the chapters aren't really shorter than the ones in FC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Only one hour until release. Will the GOG page follow after the steam release or will that be in a pocket dimension for a little more time?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's out on gog here
http://www.gog.com/game/the_legend_of_heroes_trails_in_the_sky

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Steam still has it listed as "coming soon". It's already up on GoG though ^^^

Belan
May 7, 2007
Now out on Steam also.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Is that a Dual Destinies reference I see in the steam achievements?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Oh yeah make sure to examine every empty chest.

This is the single most important piece of advice regarding this game.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Also I suppose I don't really need to say this but since this is the first time this game has gotten a non-PSP release outside of Japan, please try to avoid spoilers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Is Trails in the Sky mac-compatible?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

No windows only.

Belan
May 7, 2007
It's crashing like crazy for me. Once during the opening talky bits, then constantly when accessing menus. The opening movie is also corrupted unless you play in windowed mode.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Can't even get through the here it crashing :saddowns:

Internet Friend fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 29, 2014

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Waiting for Steam Sale, but I hope everyone enjoys it being out now :3:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

Is Trails in the Sky mac-compatible?

It's the same engine as the Ys PC games which do apparently run well in wine. No guarantees though.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Is anyone else having trouble getting config settings to stick? I can't actually play in windowed mode because the settings somehow reset to default as soon as I exit the configuration UI.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Windowed mode started fine for me. Windows 7, if it matters.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Check your file permissions. The configuration file might be read only.

Apparently capping the frame rate at 30 fixes a lot of the crashing for now.

Belan
May 7, 2007
Switching to a resolution lower than 1080p seems to fix the crashes. I was crashing everytime I opened the map screen at 1080p or above.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Is anyone else having trouble getting config settings to stick? I can't actually play in windowed mode because the settings somehow reset to default as soon as I exit the configuration UI.
Maybe try Save Folder.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I didn't even know that Trails was getting a GoG release as well. Oh well, I guess that's another title that GoG has managed to sell me.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Running the config executable directly from the game directory as administrator allowed me to keep my settings.

And yeah, seems like 1768 x 992 is the highest resolution I can go without crashing on startup.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Strange, 1920 x 1080 is working smoothly for me with High Resolution Fonts. Nvidia card.

I did have an issue with the mouse not being detected correctly and had to adjust the config.ini manually.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
1920x1200 insta-closes in Windowed but works fine in Fullscreen, AMD card and GoG version.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I just bought Trails recently in a PSN sale, and hadn't even started it yet because I was finishing up Ys 7 first. Please tell me the PC version isn't a lot better, I don't want to spend more money :ohdear:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Suaimhneas posted:

I just bought Trails recently in a PSN sale, and hadn't even started it yet because I was finishing up Ys 7 first. Please tell me the PC version isn't a lot better, I don't want to spend more money :ohdear:

You can probably live without it. (Spend more money anyway so we can get the rest of the series.)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Played about an hour, it's not immediately grabbing me, but hey, I'll give it a couple hours and see where it goes. One awkward thing I have noticed is that there's no way to bind the CP Break keys to a controller, so if you're going to use a controller, you will have to use the keyboard to get through the tutorial (and any time thereafter you want to use a CP Break).

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I had actually tried TitS once before I actually beat it, and I felt fairly bored and stopped a short while in. Then a couple months later I gave it another try, but this time with the mindset of that I was going to read a book, and I was going to invest in it. I ended up really enjoying it, then.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'm getting a weird texture issue in Rolent where the trees and plants don't load. Any advice?

edit: fences aren't loading either.

Turning off hardware vertex shading fixed it.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 29, 2014

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

My config is working fine without any tweaking, but 1920 instacloses on Windowed and crashes after less than a minute on Fullscreen. 1776 seems stable in both, though. Controls work fine, though, and it's good to see I can use my 15-year old Sidewinder joystick if I ever feel silly.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
My temporary fix for not being able to get 1080p working properly has been to use Borderless Gaming with my 1768 x 992 resolution.

I really like the fresh jabs that characters who are close throw at each other :3:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Well, thinking of getting Trails later. Anything I should know about the game gameplay wise?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

A probable achievement glitch: You get the True Wonder Chef after eating the initial Maple Cookie. Either that's the world's smallest recipe book, or 'oops'?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
So uh, can we request minor features here? Mostly I'd like the ability to map "Cancel" and "open Menu" to two different buttons, they seem to be combined to the same one at the moment.

(Also the Config tool lists the button as "Cancel/Jump" which is presumably a carryover from Ys, should probably say "Cancel/Menu" instead.)

e: Also the "Transparency" option should probably be renamed to something more descriptive, "Show characters behind buildings" or something like that.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 29, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

AfroSquirrel posted:

A probable achievement glitch: You get the True Wonder Chef after eating the initial Maple Cookie. Either that's the world's smallest recipe book, or 'oops'?

A bunch of the achievements apparently get awarded early.

Lavastine
Jul 16, 2007

Artix posted:

Played about an hour, it's not immediately grabbing me, but hey, I'll give it a couple hours and see where it goes. One awkward thing I have noticed is that there's no way to bind the CP Break keys to a controller, so if you're going to use a controller, you will have to use the keyboard to get through the tutorial (and any time thereafter you want to use a CP Break).

If you hold a direction on the controller analog stick it will let you select a party member(bottom of the screen, red orb will be highlighted). Then you just hit confirm to use the break.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Here's the BeforeIPlay page for TitS: http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=The_Legend_of_Heroes:_Trails_in_the_Sky

There's some hints and tips in there for some folks if it's your first time playing.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well, thinking of getting Trails later. Anything I should know about the game gameplay wise?

Not really, it's pretty straightforward. Everything you need to know is in the Bracer Notebook, and Time magic is the best magic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is permanently missable stuff though and unmarked sidequests. If you want to do everything you'll probably need a guide.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I got a foil card drop from playing the game. This must be fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Lavastine posted:

If you hold a direction on the controller analog stick it will let you select a party member(bottom of the screen, red orb will be highlighted). Then you just hit confirm to use the break.

I tried doing that and it just freaked the gently caress out and kept selecting/deselecting the character and wouldn't let me confirm it.

• Locked thread