Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

tonic posted:

Just recently switched from Verizon to Cricket with an unlocked iPhone 5S. Had tethering before, but after installing the cricket SIM, iTunes asked about a carrier update. Installed it (mistake?) and the Personal Hotspot feature disappeared. On the other hand, my MMS wasn't working prior to the update and works fine now.

Ended up jail breaking and installing TetherMe (7.1.2) and that seems to enable it properly. Only plan on using it for emergencies.

Also, sent ThermoPhysical a referral, $25. If anyone wants to pass on the favor, shoot me an email james.jimmy.stoof@gmail.com and I'll send you a referral. You also get $25 off your bill that month.

EDIT: BistyQ, just sent you one.

You sent me a referral or did you sent BistyQ one?

And ok, yeah, it sounds like iPhones specifically get tethering blocked on Cricket even if the phone is unlocked. This does not happen with Android devices (or Windows Phone, as far as I know).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

Endless Mike posted:

No phones are untraceable. If you chuck it into a creek, it will be hosed no matter what, though.

Could they trace it to the last location it was functioning? Like, is it better to damage the phone first so it stops transmitting and then find a different place to chuck it?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Chalets the Baka posted:

Could they trace it to the last location it was functioning? Like, is it better to damage the phone first so it stops transmitting and then find a different place to chuck it?

Best practice would be to move the body to a different location while leaving the phone. Then come back, break the phone and chuck it to a different place.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Hughmoris posted:

Best practice would be to move the body to a different location while leaving the phone. Then come back, break the phone and chuck it to a different place.

Remember, water and organic tissue dampens reception quite well, as does low elevation. The human anus will accept most non-Samsung phones with ease, so you can put both the body and the phone in a ditch with little worry.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

sweart gliwere posted:

Remember, water and organic tissue dampens reception quite well, as does low elevation. The human anus will accept most non-Samsung phones with ease, so you can put both the body and the phone in a ditch with little worry.

If you go this route, we do recommend you test it with a cardboard cutout of the phone first.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Hughmoris posted:

If you go this route, we do recommend you test it with a cardboard cutout of the phone first.

With a forgotten disclaimer that many Sony and Nokia models use fairly sharp angular design language, so the lack of rounded corners may complicate things. Remember, plastic becomes malleable with judicious application of heat, so: melt those corners! Apologies for my absent-mindedness.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

mtr posted:

What's the best option for refilling T-mobile nerd plans? I have been using callingmart but they don't have a discount anymore and are now charging $51 for a $50 refill. Are there any better options out there?

Are you just looking for a discount or are you in a situation that prevents you from using traditional financial services (bank account or credit/debit card)? You can just set up your T-Mobile account to autodraft from a checking account or credit/debit card.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Snowden said turned off smartphones are traceable. I believe this theory. It shouldn't be that hard to implement on firmware level. Maybe you can stop it by taking the battery out. But some phones have non removable batteries.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 29, 2014

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

mtr posted:

What's the best option for refilling T-mobile nerd plans? I have been using callingmart but they don't have a discount anymore and are now charging $51 for a $50 refill. Are there any better options out there?

Honestly, for me, even with the additional reseller fee it's still cheaper to go through Callingmart - it's only .60 on top of the $30, but T-Mobile charges, the last time I checked, almost $3 in taxes/fees to do autopay.

You could see if Wal-Mart charges taxes for the online-delivered credit, but from what I've quickly read, you want to do that a few days in advance, as it seems their distribution system is slow.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
So I posted this in another thread, but this seems like the place to do it. I live in Europe, but I travel to the States once or twice a year for around two weeks at a time. It would be pretty silly to pay ~400 a year to have service all the time. Is there like a Tracphone type service where I can just top it up? Or just pay for a month of service? I'm getting a Moto G, for what it's worth. And there doesn't seem to be any difference coverage, where I travel, as far as networks are concerned. I'm about to head over, and I'm hoping to port my old number. While this isn't a complete priority, to keep my old number, it would be swell. Otherwise, I'm just going to port it to Google Voice.

I honestly don't need all that much, data wise, just enough to be able to pull up the occasional map if/when I get lost and then maybe surf yelp or something like that in case my idiot friends can't decide where to eat.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bollig posted:

So I posted this in another thread, but this seems like the place to do it. I live in Europe, but I travel to the States once or twice a year for around two weeks at a time. It would be pretty silly to pay ~400 a year to have service all the time. Is there like a Tracphone type service where I can just top it up? Or just pay for a month of service? I'm getting a Moto G, for what it's worth. And there doesn't seem to be any difference coverage, where I travel, as far as networks are concerned. I'm about to head over, and I'm hoping to port my old number. While this isn't a complete priority, to keep my old number, it would be swell. Otherwise, I'm just going to port it to Google Voice.

I honestly don't need all that much, data wise, just enough to be able to pull up the occasional map if/when I get lost and then maybe surf yelp or something like that in case my idiot friends can't decide where to eat.

I believe Black Wireless is very traveler friendly and let you buy the sim first and activate the sim when you arrive U.S.

Check ebay.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

whatever7 posted:

I believe Black Wireless is very traveler friendly and let you buy the sim first and activate the sim when you arrive U.S.

Check ebay.

Looks promising. But then let's say I travel in the next couple weeks and then again say at christmas? Will I lose my number if I don't keep paying it?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just discovered https://www.freedompop.com , and apparently it's a decent deal.

FREE 200 mins and 500 megs of data, OR you can buy unlimited mins and txt for 11$ a month.

Dunno if it's great, bad, horrible, whatever, but hey, ya get what ya pay for.

Thought I'd throw it out there for anyone curious.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

FREE 200 mins and 500 megs of data, OR you can buy unlimited mins and txt for 11$ a month.

Uses sprint so ....

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Mister Fister posted:

Uses sprint so ....

Yeah, if Sprint is bad in your area, it will not work well.

I had an old Sprint Galaxy S I wasn't using, so I signed up for their free BYOD plan when it came out a while ago. If you add 10 Freedompop "friends" to your account, it bumps the free data up to 1GB/month.

It's ok for free, but I wouldn't rely on it as my only phone. Sprint's service isn't all that terrible where I live, so it works reasonably ok. It does not use Sprint's voice network, though. It's VOIP only, so you need a good data connection to make and receive calls. Also, their VOIP/messaging app is a battery hog.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Can someone post the MMS APN for Cricket? I just switched today, and everything seems to be working fine except MMS. My phone automatically added an MMS apn, I just want to see if it was the right one or not...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This is mine:

http://www.imgur.com/SlQ8q0I.png

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Do you have any additional settings if you scroll down?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

While yours might work, they aren't correct. Try googling cricket wireless APN settings. You'll find it. They're actually the same ones AIO was using.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

yeah, these are what they're supposed to be:
https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/apps-and-services/bring-your-own-device-byod/customer/bring-your-own-android.html

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I tried the settings listed on crickets site, and while the Internet works mms does not. Any tricks to this?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I tried the settings listed on crickets site, and while the Internet works mms does not. Any tricks to this?

Dumb question, but have you rebooted your phone? My MMS just randomly stopped working the other day (coincidentally after a call to get my address changed) and a reboot ended up fixing it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

BonoMan posted:

Dumb question, but have you rebooted your phone? My MMS just randomly stopped working the other day (coincidentally after a call to get my address changed) and a reboot ended up fixing it.

Yeah, multiple times. I actually just got off chat with support at Cricket, where he apparently "reset my IP" in their system (probably bullshit) and suggested I wait 5-7 minutes before turning my phone back on. I waited ~10-15, turned my phone on, still doesn't work :(

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, multiple times. I actually just got off chat with support at Cricket, where he apparently "reset my IP" in their system (probably bullshit) and suggested I wait 5-7 minutes before turning my phone back on. I waited ~10-15, turned my phone on, still doesn't work :(

Are you using stock messaging? I use evolvsms and had a lot of issues until I got the settings entered in just right

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Athenry posted:

Are you using stock messaging? I use evolvsms and had a lot of issues until I got the settings entered in just right

It's the stock messaging app that comes with the Droid Razr M on 4.4, so...kind of? I'll try switching to hangouts and seeing if it makes any difference.

E: Are you using Cricket? If so, what settings are you using? The same ones that were linked on Cricket's site above?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Yes, I'm using the ones on Cricket's website.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What of MMS is it? There was one group text that my phone would absolutely not send anything in. I could send texts in other group texts just fine. But the one I could receive but couldn't send.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Cojawfee posted:

What of MMS is it? There was one group text that my phone would absolutely not send anything in. I could send texts in other group texts just fine. But the one I could receive but couldn't send.

I know many may disagree, but seriously, gently caress MMS. That poo poo barely ever works. I can't wait until it's deprecated and disposed of.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Cojawfee posted:

It was a test picture I sent from my Girlfriends phone to see if MMS was working, because I did some research before I jumped ship from Verizon and saw that MMS was usually the area that people had trouble in. It's sitting in the messaging app now, but If I hit download it takes a few seconds and just says it failed. MMS sure seems to be a weird thing when you google it, because you have people entering in three different types of settings and saying this one worked, while that one didn't, while another person says that had to wait a day before they were allowed to send/receive MMS etc. There doesn't really seem to be a clear answer :(

I switched to hangouts for a bit, but the way hangouts works it doesn't even show you that you have an MMS waiting in the wings. I let it sit for a bit, but it never materialized so I switched back to stock.

Here are the settings I'm using: anyone spot anything that would make this go wrong?
http://imgur.com/a/weykG

Edit :google: suggested to try and gain access to the "messaging center" by entering in a code in the phone dialer and checking my "smsc" settings. unfortunately, it looks like they took out the messaging center in 4.4 and entering in the code does nothing :(

SB35 posted:

I know many may disagree, but seriously, gently caress MMS. That poo poo barely ever works. I can't wait until it's deprecated and disposed of.

Ugh, let's not do this. Everyone knows MMS sucks, but there's really not much you can do about it when a lot of your friends/relatives/people you know use it, so I'd really like to get it working. Let's not go down the MMS warpath :)

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 31, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Ok, after all that bitching I deleted my APN and put in the same settings I did as before (from the website) rebooted my phone and...MMS works now.

I'm happy, and I'm not touching those loving settings again!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

MMS is a bitch to get working. Not going down the anti-MMS warpath just saying that most MMS problems on GSM lie with the APN usually. Even if you entered it to the letter it can still be finicky for whatever reason.

Sometimes it's the carrier needing to actually fix something on their end, but sometimes it's the APN settings in your phone.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ThermoPhysical posted:

MMS is a bitch to get working. Not going down the anti-MMS warpath just saying that most MMS problems on GSM lie with the APN usually. Even if you entered it to the letter it can still be finicky for whatever reason.

Sometimes it's the carrier needing to actually fix something on their end, but sometimes it's the APN settings in your phone.

Yeah like I said that seems to be where the bulk of problems are when you start googling it, and everyone has a different story and method to how they got it working. I'm just glad I got it to work somehow.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
MMS is not a working protocol. FTC should just ban it.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
E: Referral got!

Nur_Neerg fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 31, 2014

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

T-Mobile MVNO PTel recently started provisioning for LTE and just added some new plans to try to stay competitive.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Ok, after all that bitching I deleted my APN and put in the same settings I did as before (from the website) rebooted my phone and...MMS works now.

I'm happy, and I'm not touching those loving settings again!

And mine just went back down... drat.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
So I'm testing some stuff out, and took the sim out of my phone and popped it into another unlocked android device (it's actually the same exact make and model phone, Razr M) but it doesen't seem to pick up any signal - does Cricket only provision the sim for one phone or something?

If I put it back into my original phone, it works fine.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

My SIM definitely works on multiple devices, don't think it is IMEI locked. Tested on two iPhones and my beater SGS2 with a SIM adaptor. Took a few minutes and a restart before the phones connected though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

tonic posted:

My SIM definitely works on multiple devices, don't think it is IMEI locked. Tested on two iPhones and my beater SGS2 with a SIM adaptor. Took a few minutes and a restart before the phones connected though.

Guess I'll just leave it in the other phone overnight and see if it eventually connects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

So I'm testing some stuff out, and took the sim out of my phone and popped it into another unlocked android device (it's actually the same exact make and model phone, Razr M) but it doesen't seem to pick up any signal - does Cricket only provision the sim for one phone or something?

If I put it back into my original phone, it works fine.

You might have to manually enter the APN settings. I know when I switch from an iPhone to a Nexus 5 I had to do that a couple of times before the settings stuck.