Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

I'm looking into testing for my CCNA 6 months or so down the line as my actual networking knowledge is not strong and had some quick questions on online courses and if I'm getting ahead of my self.

Does anyone have any experience with this site/course?

https://www.udemy.com/ccna-on-demand-video-boot-camp/#/

I just jumped from our desktop team to our information security team and was going to start with CCNA and then look into certs more centered around security, does that sound like a logical path to those of you who have done something similar? I have read that S+ is a good starting point but comparing CCNA/S+ books they both seem to cover the same things with S+ obviously not being as wide ranging as CCNA so it seems kind of redundant trying for S+ then CCNA. Is that correct thinking?

S+ and CCNA really don't cover that much of the same material. The S+ is an overpriced test over basic security concepts and the CCNA is pure networking concepts.

If you can get your work to pay for it, I would suggest the S+ test first. If you are paying out of pocket, I would suggest getting a decent securities concept book and then do the CCNA track.

My reasoning being that there might be some value to the exposure to a security related certification program but not a ton of value in the s+ cert itself if you are paying out of pocket. The s+ test was 250 bucks and you might be better served with buying whatever is the new hotness in information security reading instead of the S+ track stuff. The CCNA (although not really security focuessed) would just be more bang for the buck.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Don't forget DoD IT requires a minimum S+

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Don't forget DoD IT requires a minimum S+

It probably makes up such a small % of the job postings out there that its barely worth mentioning it much as we do.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Sickening posted:

It probably makes up such a small % of the job postings out there that its barely worth mentioning it much as we do.

I live in Northern Virginia, so anecdotally it's much more important.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Is there a good, nice fat juicy repository of free CCENT/CCNA labs that can be readily done in Packet Tracer? I've been slacking off my studies for too long and I need to at least keep the knowledge up to snuff even if I don't plan to test for awhile.

Also what's a good way to get motivated to actually study for A+ so I don't keep pushing it back month after month? :smith: Guess it doesn't help I can't haven't been able to afford my safari sub for a few months thus don't have access to the book I was reading anymore.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sickening posted:

If you live in NOVA, central MD, Norfolk, San Diego, or most of Florida, it's going to be required for a large percentage of jobs.

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Does anyone have any experience with this site/course?

https://www.udemy.com/ccna-on-demand-video-boot-camp/#/

I've never used udemy for cert prep, but I have done some of their courses and I've learned a lot.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
CCNP is changing like CCNA did last year.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/certifications/professional/ccnp/index.html

Tests will still be R&S&TSHOOT with 300 in the front instead of the old 642. Last day for current tests is Jan 31 2015.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Thank you Sickening, Psydude and OhDearGodNo for the info. I don't live near the main DoD hiring areas so I'm not worried about it being a required hurdle but I will definitely keep that in mind for down the road.

Wunderdog that is good to hear, once I finish up with this course I'll come back and post on if it was worth it or not.

thegrimace
Feb 24, 2011

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Doesn't loving matter, what do you like more? networking or systems ops?

VCA is a morale boost and only good if you are helpdesk for a VDI/VMware environment.

What field are you looking to go into?

Im thinking network admin down the road. Right away prob Jr admin somewhere to get my feet wet.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MrBigglesworth posted:

Tests will still be R&S&TSHOOT with 300 in the front instead of the old 642. Last day for current tests is Jan 31 2015.

welp, at least I only bought the ROUTE book, since I can't see myself testing before then while working.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

MrBigglesworth posted:

They gave six months for CCNP but only three for CCNP Security, and CCNP Security has more exams. :argh:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

welp, at least I only bought the ROUTE book, since I can't see myself testing before then while working.

Glad I got my highly relevant knowledge of DSL and 802.1D firmly cemented.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
A friend in an entry-level position with an IT company is trying to explain to me that MAC addresses are irrelevant and shouldn't be studied anymore, as we're studying for our CCENT/CCNA. He HATES MAC addresses for some reason, is convinced DCNA is all you need, and I don't have enough knowledge quite yet to explain everything to him in a 'please shut up, you're wrong' manner. Why is he wrong? Specifics/examples would be great.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Find specific exam objectives that require knowledge of L2 stuff. Tell him "If you want to gamble and hope you don't get any of that on the test fine, but I'm not going to."

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
Good luck recognizing an IP conflict in the field if you don't have a good handle on MACs and supporting tshooting tools.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

and, um good luck with stateless IPv6...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

GobiasIndustries posted:

A friend in an entry-level position with an IT company is trying to explain to me that MAC addresses are irrelevant and shouldn't be studied anymore, as we're studying for our CCENT/CCNA. He HATES MAC addresses for some reason, is convinced DCNA is all you need, and I don't have enough knowledge quite yet to explain everything to him in a 'please shut up, you're wrong' manner. Why is he wrong? Specifics/examples would be great.

I used MAC addresses almost every day at my last job whenever we'd do address traces to find out where machines were plugged in.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

GobiasIndustries posted:

I fail to see what the District of Columbia Nurses Association has to do with L2 networking. Your friend seems like a real moron.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

XakEp posted:

I fail to see what the District of Columbia Nurses Association has to do with L2 networking. Your friend seems like a real moron.

Well...poo poo. I have no excuse as to how I butchered DHCP into that. :(

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

GobiasIndustries posted:

I still do a lot of troubleshooting and tracing traffic through the network with tools like 'show ip arp' and 'show mac address-table.'

"Network is broken I can't ping that windows server!"

I can see if both MACs are on the network and if they are in the same VLAN then it's probably windows firewall.

Need to find a bunch of VMware virtual machines? Or hell trying to track down where a specific server is plugged in on the network because some dick doesn't update interface descriptions?

'show mac address-table | grep 0050.56'

Want to only let hosts ARP for their default gateway and nothing else? a MAC ACL is your answer.

Stuck using lovely microsoft NLB's on Nexus equipment? Guess who's getting ready to learn about static ARP entries!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Of all the thing to get mad about (For example: all of the compromises that make up IPv4) MAC address doesn't even register :smugdog:.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

The fact that his argument is "the world doesn't need MAC addresses because DHCP exists" is even more :psyduck:. Use Wireshark to capture a DHCPDISCOVER/REQUEST/OFFER/ACK exchange. Note that every packet involves the client's MAC as an identifier. Fin.

What is his argument against "learning" MAC addresses? They're just a string. It's not like subnetting where there's some basic math to perform, they just exist.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Doesn't loving matter, what do you like more? networking or systems ops?

Starting off on Help Desk, then move up to network admin (does that position require an Bachelors?)

Thanks for all who answered my post!

Network+ CBT Nuggets and A+ TestOut are both fantastic and I can't recommend them enough

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 31, 2014

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

GobiasIndustries posted:

A friend in an entry-level position with an IT company is trying to explain to me that MAC addresses are irrelevant and shouldn't be studied anymore, as we're studying for our CCENT/CCNA.

Don't listen to people with entry level knowledge. Also, there are many people with several years of experience still operating with entry level knowledge.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I'm intrigued by maybe changing my career path to become a Network Engineer. It's somewhat overwhelming to see all the possible routes I could take to that goal, but I think I'm going to start by taking a CCNA course at my local community college (or super cheap state school). I do very well in the classroom context, I much prefer the pressure of a curriculum to online courses and whatnot. Are there any caveats I should take into account when studying Cisco Networking in a classroom setting?

Radio Talmudist fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 31, 2014

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for all the replies gang. I definitely don't listen to a thing he says as he knows probably less than I do about networking (which isn't much to begin with) and likes to get angry about stuff that isn't what he already knows...makes for an awesome study partner :rolleyes: I took CCNA classes back in HS (2004) so I kinda remember some of the stuff, but again not enough to actually speak to why he's being a dum dum yet.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Radio Talmudist posted:

I'm intrigued by maybe changing my career path to become a Network Engineer. It's somewhat overwhelming to see all the possible routes I could take to that goal, but I think I'm going to start by taking a CCNA course at my local community college (or super cheap state school). I do very well in the classroom context, I much prefer the pressure of a curriculum to online courses and whatnot. Are there any caveats I should take into account when studying Cisco Networking in a classroom setting?

Not so much a caveat as just a bit of advice- in the night classes I took the vast majority of students either didn't attend labs, attended rarely, or at best showed up just long enough to do the assigned labs. Don't do that, plan to use all your lab time. When you get done with what's assigned or feel like a lab is too simple, design and build something else or make the existing lab more complicated. Work with real hardware while you can, you can always work with Packet Tracer or other simulation software at home (and should do that too).

Also the lab setting and simulators introduce some shortcuts that aren't realistic, so it takes a little extra effort to pretend it's a real network after initial configuration. Yes you can keep just switching a console cable between the 3 routers in front of you when something's not working as intended (or in simulators, clicking directly on the device), but if they really represent 3 configured routers in branch offices that wouldn't be so easy. When you start to think about where your own computer is in the network, and force yourself to work from a single point of entry, you run into good problems to think about like whether the order of changes you plan to make will cut you off from part of the network.

I thrive better with structured classes too, but keep your eye on the prize- becoming skilled, not just earning an 'A'. Schools will pass students whether they could hack a certification exam or not, and you might find the pressure of a CC or tech school isn't exactly harsh, so you sorta have to be your own judge of how well you've learned the material and whether you can do better.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GobiasIndustries posted:

Wait, how the gently caress does he understand DHCP if he thinks MACs are pointless?

(I think I see the problem.)

GobiasIndustries posted:

Thanks for all the replies gang. I definitely don't listen to a thing he says as he knows probably less than I do about networking (which isn't much to begin with) and likes to get angry about stuff that isn't what he already knows...makes for an awesome study partner :rolleyes: I took CCNA classes back in HS (2004) so I kinda remember some of the stuff, but again not enough to actually speak to why he's being a dum dum yet.

The definitive answer is that without some kind of hardware addressing, you can't use layer 3 unless you want to assign a static IP to literally everything you'll ever connect to the network.

Also please have him write down how switching will work in his magical L2-less land.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 31, 2014

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Layer 3 switches are the end of MAC addresses. Check and mate.

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.
I have a week until my A+ 801 exam, and I'm currently taking these practice quizzes to see where I stand and what I need to review.

http://www.examcompass.com/comptia/a-plus-certification/free-a-plus-practice-tests

My question is, have any of you used this resource before? I also got the CompTIAŽ A+ 220-801 and 220-802 Exam Cram, Sixth Edition, which I think will be a better resource. I just want to know if the site has a good sample of what I have to expect.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

Wait, how the gently caress does he understand DHCP if he thinks MACs are pointless?

(I think I see the problem.)

The definitive answer is that without some kind of hardware addressing, you can't use layer 3 unless you want to assign a static IP to literally everything you'll ever connect to the network.

Also please have him write down how switching will work in his magical L2-less land.

poo poo, once you get into the world of HA and load balancing, you start encountering MAC addressing more.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

psydude posted:

poo poo, once you get into the world of HA and load balancing, you start encountering MAC addressing more.

I know how to prove him wrong.

Sit him down and tell him to write in a piece of paper:

"I'm dumb and don't understand poo poo".

There.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Bone posted:

I have a week until my A+ 801 exam, and I'm currently taking these practice quizzes to see where I stand and what I need to review.

http://www.examcompass.com/comptia/a-plus-certification/free-a-plus-practice-tests

My question is, have any of you used this resource before? I also got the CompTIAŽ A+ 220-801 and 220-802 Exam Cram, Sixth Edition, which I think will be a better resource. I just want to know if the site has a good sample of what I have to expect.

Looks fine. Just take your time and relax during the test and you should pass no problem.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Is there a reputable place to get A+ vouchers cheaper for what comptia sells them for, or are they pretty much the same everywhere?

Hz so good
Jan 25, 2014
Has anyone here been able to get a cisco GNS3 topology to communicate with Virtualbox Hosts? I've got a sample topology of 2 2921XM routers, a 7200 VXR, 2 Swouters, and a Win2008R2 VB guest running PRTG.

I was hoping to be able to use the PRTG host to capture SYSLOG, SNMP, and netflow statistics across all the routers, but so far, the guest connectivity is hit or miss. UDP Tunneling works if I want to crossover two hosts, but it doesn't help get all the routers to communicate with the PRTG host.

I've tried internal network, host-only adapter, bridged, and finally UDP Tunneling.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? The routers and swouters can communicate just fine.

I'm stuck using the VBwrapper to try and get this to work.

Anyone know of a QEMU image that can easily run SYSLOG, SNMP, and something like PRTG for netflow stats/graphing?

I tried Haiku and Plan 9, but VBox shat all over those (especially Plan 9).

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Which books do you all suggest for 70-410 & 70-411? I'm aiming to have my 70-410 in the next six months, but it would be nice to knock out both.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Anyone have an idea of when VMware will stop offering the VCP-DCV510 and VCP-DCV550? I know it is probably coming soon as 6.0 should be officially announced at VMworld. I never paid attention to how long the old exams stick around after. Need to sit the VCP sometime soon.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
In news unrelated to VMware, I'm traveling, and I plan to review the new rh199 and rh299 (rhcsa and rhce) training documentation, so at least I'll be more prepared to answer rhel7 certification questions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

evol262 posted:

In news unrelated to VMware, I'm traveling, and I plan to review the new rh199 and rh299 (rhcsa and rhce) training documentation, so at least I'll be more prepared to answer rhel7 certification questions

Do tests for rhel 7 even exist yet?