Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

angryrobots posted:

Is there any set top box or smart tv that has a built in browser that does flash? Espn3 requires flash to load. The watchespn app that some boxes advertise won't work.

You can sideload Firefox and Flash onto the Fire TV but you'll need a mouse to control it (or something like the Logitech K400)

But I remember being able to access ESPN 3 on my Roku LT without having to log in.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
Question for Mohu Leaf users: does yours stay stuck on the window? My window gives me the best reception but nothing seems to stick to it. I've tried the Leaf tabs and duct tape. Both fell off after about half an hour. I'm thinking of using super glue next.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
You have to lick the back of the antenna first.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
I just used a nail gun. It spider webbed my window but at least I have Telemundo and ten Jesus channels now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Call Me Charlie posted:

You can sideload Firefox and Flash onto the Fire TV but you'll need a mouse to control it (or something like the Logitech K400)

How do you get a mouse and/or keyboard to work with the Fire? Are you using bluetooth?

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

Hadlock posted:

How do you get a mouse and/or keyboard to work with the Fire? Are you using bluetooth?

It has a USB port and they work natively.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
The only flash you'll get on android is with Dolphin Browser + Jetpack + the hacked Flash someone made for Kitkat. I have this running on my android set top box and it works fine. I suspect it would not work as well on a FireTV, based on absolutely nothing, just gut feeling.

I haven't tried Espn3 but i'd be willing to give it a shot, I guess I need to borrow someones username and pw for a cable service?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Elston Gunn posted:

It has a USB port and they work natively.

Oh, neat! I guess I read that they had disabled the USB port for mass storage unless you rooted the device, and assumed it was completely disabled. Thanks

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Gozinbulx posted:

The only flash you'll get on android is with Dolphin Browser + Jetpack + the hacked Flash someone made for Kitkat. I have this running on my android set top box and it works fine. I suspect it would not work as well on a FireTV, based on absolutely nothing, just gut feeling.

I sideloaded Firefox and flash player for android on my Fire TV and it worked fine so...

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

angryrobots posted:

Yeah, if my ISP/cable provider paid for watchespn I could stream all the channels too, but we are only allowed espn3 which absolutely requires flash, and a browser. Can't be accessed through the watchespn app because my provider does not pay for that, I've already talked to tech support about it.

I'm -assuming that this is a 'contract hasn't run out yet' type issue, and ESPN is once again changing the format of their online services, and this espn3 as a separate thing will go away. Doesn't help me at all for the coming college football season tho.

So your cable provider pays for ESPN3 on the web but not via the apps? Some of the content on watchespn.com is free, but you're saying you can use your ISP login to view the paid stuff on the web but not via the app? Weird!

The only two ways I've ever had flash content play on a TV properly without lag/skipping/hell is by either:

1) Connecting a PC directly to your TV with an HDMI cable.
2) Using Airplay to stream to an AppleTV from a Mac via Wi-Fi

Maybe set top boxes have gotten considerably better, but I remember attempting to watch flash video no my Boxee Box a few years ago being endlessly frustrating.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

tonic posted:

So your cable provider pays for ESPN3 on the web but not via the apps? Some of the content on watchespn.com is free, but you're saying you can use your ISP login to view the paid stuff on the web but not via the app? Weird!

The only two ways I've ever had flash content play on a TV properly without lag/skipping/hell is by either:

1) Connecting a PC directly to your TV with an HDMI cable.
2) Using Airplay to stream to an AppleTV from a Mac via Wi-Fi

Maybe set top boxes have gotten considerably better, but I remember attempting to watch flash video no my Boxee Box a few years ago being endlessly frustrating.

New quad core boxes are pretty tits and play flash just fine.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

tonic posted:

Yeah. Except it's IP authentication, no login. They talk about it on the watchESPN FAQ. I can view espn3 only, none of the OTA channels.

burndtjamb
Sep 5, 2006

Since we're already discussing android devices and flash-based streaming content, I'm gonna go ahead and ask: am I correct to assume there's no elegant front end option/plugin available for anything to allow easy access to cable-provider authenticated content like Cartoon Network/Adult Swim Live and TBS Live? I recently cut cable TV service but I still use my parents' account to access the aforementioned streams as well as HBO Go and WatchESPN. I've been looking for a way to make this content available on my television without having to resort to tab casting or connecting my PC to it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am looking to get OTA TV on a projector. The projector does not have a TV tuner, just various inputs.

Is there a standalone HDTV tuner I can get that I can run to the projector to get OTA? I do also have a computer hooked to the projector if that helps.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I am looking to get OTA TV on a projector. The projector does not have a TV tuner, just various inputs.

Is there a standalone HDTV tuner I can get that I can run to the projector to get OTA? I do also have a computer hooked to the projector if that helps.

If you have a computer hooked up then buy an HDHomerun and use windows media center.

Cold Old
Jan 6, 2005

Two what?
Something like this will also work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-HDTV-D...=item5407a43d0d

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

burndtjamb posted:

Since we're already discussing android devices and flash-based streaming content, I'm gonna go ahead and ask: am I correct to assume there's no elegant front end option/plugin available for anything to allow easy access to cable-provider authenticated content like Cartoon Network/Adult Swim Live and TBS Live? I recently cut cable TV service but I still use my parents' account to access the aforementioned streams as well as HBO Go and WatchESPN. I've been looking for a way to make this content available on my television without having to resort to tab casting or connecting my PC to it.

Which cable provider?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Yeah those streams I imagine are part of the cable providers package, and almost all those providers have apps. So if you had an android-based TV box, you'd simply put the app on the device. I've already done this with Xfinity (comcast) app and my parents login on my Android box. Works flawlessly.

burndtjamb
Sep 5, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

Which cable provider?

Optimum. I'm considering a Fire TV with XBMC for live streaming through channel-respective apps, but I also know Google TV is on the horizon so I'm on the fence at the moment. Also, anyone know if the android adult swim app's live streaming is broken? I just get sent to a page of episodes and clips instead of the live stream after signing in.

edit: just to clarify, AS live stream works in a browser but not through the android or iOS apps.

burndtjamb fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 6, 2014

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

burndtjamb posted:

Optimum. I'm considering a Fire TV with XBMC for live streaming through channel-respective apps, but I also know Google TV is on the horizon so I'm on the fence at the moment. Also, anyone know if the android adult swim app's live streaming is broken? I just get sent to a page of episodes and clips instead of the live stream after signing in.

edit: just to clarify, AS live stream works in a browser but not through the android or iOS apps.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.optimum.unity.mobile

It appears this is what you would sideload on to the FireTV or just plain old install on an Android box.

Reviews dont seem too hot though.

Edit: You definitely not regret loading XBMC onto anything, whether it be a FireTV, a current gen Android box, or the new Google TV.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you can wait for android tv i would definitely wait before buying a firetv.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gozinbulx posted:

Edit: You definitely not regret loading XBMC onto anything, whether it be a FireTV, a current gen Android box, or the new Google TV.

XBMC on the FireTV seems like a product that would be released in 5-10 years, it is really stable and lightyears ahead of the AppleTV's GUI

You can tear my FireTV/XBMC combo from my cold, dead fingers

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My in-laws have Dish network. They come over to our house but we do not have cable at all (smart blu-ray player, roku and chromecast).

When they come over, my father in law uses his Ipad to watch somethings with Dish Anywhere but he mentions how nice it would be to watch it on our tv.

Is there anyway to watch Dish Anywhere (they have a Hopper with Sling) on our Roku. I downloaded the Slingplayer channel but it does not seem to give the option to watch live tv on it.

Side note: I just found a Roku private channel called Nick Reboot. It is nothing but "Nickelodeon" shows from the 90s played on a random "live" stream. I just watched a Legends of the Hidden Temple followed by Doug and Animaniacs. This makes me feel very old but very young at the same time.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Side note: I just found a Roku private channel called Nick Reboot. It is nothing but "Nickelodeon" shows from the 90s played on a random "live" stream. I just watched a Legends of the Hidden Temple followed by Doug and Animaniacs. This makes me feel very old but very young at the same time.

http://nickreboot.com/roku/

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

nickreboot has been fantastic, i'm glad they leave in all the old school commercials but dear god these kids are awful at video games!

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Photex posted:

nickreboot has been fantastic, i'm glad they leave in all the old school commercials but dear god these kids are awful at video games!

Added it to my Roku private channel list just now, can't wait to get home and fire it up! Thanks!

On a random note, I was browsing nowheretv and randomly came upon a Diamond billiards tournament dealio. I haven't watched people play professional 9-ball on tv/anything since I was a kid and has a blast watching 2 dudes. At the end of a match the guys were all "this was a once in a lifetime match, it'll be a long time before we see a game this good again" which made me feel pretty good for randomly clicking it.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
Really bummed me out that Justin.tv is gone. Watched Sherlock, Stargate, Archer streaming pretty much 24/7 on that site. They decided to focus more on Twitch than continue supporting the site.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Saveron_01 posted:

Really bummed me out that Justin.tv is gone. Watched Sherlock, Stargate, Archer streaming pretty much 24/7 on that site. They decided to focus more on Twitch than continue supporting the site.

Enjoy

http://tubesynch.com/

edit: just realized these are youtube playlists

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 11, 2014

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Comcast finally encrypted their signal in my area, no way to get the local channels without a box. gently caress them, they can just have the internet money. Antenna incoming.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you can get signal antenna is likely to be far higher quality anyways

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Anyone here have a Roku streaming stick?

I am looking at putting another Roku in my home. I currently have a Roku 3 in my home and I was wondering how the streaming stick compared to the Roku 3. Thanks for any information.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Parlett316 posted:

Comcast finally encrypted their signal in my area, no way to get the local channels without a box. gently caress them, they can just have the internet money. Antenna incoming.

Mediacom is doing the same in my area. They've been advertising "100% digital coming soon!" for a few months and it's finally happening ever so slowly. Out of the 20 or so random channels we get via coax (we have Mediacom cable internet) this past week they removed the Discovery Channel and AMC. Now those aren't exactly the best channels in the world mind you so don't think I'm crying a river, but compared to the other channels they were pretty top tier. Here's a rundown of what we still get:

- FOUR of each of the main channels, ABC/CBS/NBC/PBS (PBS owns hard)
- Fox
- Local channel that's part CW part Fox Sports Midwest and part random whatever
- C-span
- QVC
- Shop at Home Network
- 3 religious channels
- WGN

...and that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I asked earlier about the Roku streaming stick but now I am leaning more towards just getting another Roku 3.

Now the question is: is there any talk of a Roku 4 on the horizon for me to wait on or is it just worth it to get the 3 now.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Unless you just have to have a streaming stick, i would always get the roku 3. Since it offers wifi control you can double stick it on the back of your tv if you dont want to see it.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
You should seriously consider getting a FireTV.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
So if I wanted something that could connect to my NAS and play whatever is on there without keeping a computer running 24/7, which should I get, Roku 3 or FireTV?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

So if I wanted something that could connect to my NAS and play whatever is on there without keeping a computer running 24/7, which should I get, Roku 3 or FireTV?

that sounds like FireTV with XBMC.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Gozinbulx posted:

And it's on sale for $15 off.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gozinbulx posted:

He already has a Roku 3, looking to get another or a Roku Streaming Stick.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I asked earlier about the Roku streaming stick but now I am leaning more towards just getting another Roku 3.

Now the question is: is there any talk of a Roku 4 on the horizon for me to wait on or is it just worth it to get the 3 now.

Do you absolutely need another Roku 3 right now? I'd personally wait a little bit to see what Android TV devices pan out in the next couple of months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Photex posted:

that sounds like FireTV with XBMC.

Cool, price just dropped too